• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames opens official Japanese Twitter - EPIC SWITCH TEASING HYPETRAIN!

PlatinumGames keeps tweeting more teases about Switch ports! What are they doing?!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brhoom

Banned
Fuck 101 I want Bayonetta on Switch!!!

i don't know why Gaf loves that game, tried the demo and it was not that good.

atr0cious

You're missing out on the better game. W101 takes everything about Bayonetta and inverts it, from attacks to crowd control. Plus it's campaign is epic in every sense of the word, the scale of the bosses is outstanding. And that theme song!

Apart from the next Kamiya game being for Switch I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Would love a W101 switch port but honestly I'd rather have a new game.

I'd rather have both. Thankfully there's precedent from Platinum for giving us old ports with new games.

The demo area is probably the worst section of the game. Once you get Unite Guts it becomes a much, much better game.

And that ending, lord almighty.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The blurry screen in the background is definitely TW101.
It's an illustration, it doesn't to mean anything but "look at our characters from a game on a Nintendo console play with a Switch!"
I'd rather have both. Thankfully there's precedent from Platinum for giving us old ports with new games.
Certainly wouldn't mind both. Never went the extra mile and unlock the last 3-4 characters in the WiiU game.

Frodo

W101 With traditional controls would be amazing.

It had traditional controls on the Wii U tho?

55YUEOh.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I want those Famicom joy-cons. I'd also buy Metal Gear Rising 2: Revelectric Boogaloo, so I hope they are making it.

Bayonetta 1+2 would make a Switch purchase much more worth it. The Switch is Getting There in my eyes. As long as it keeps up it should be p.alright.

Keasar

W101 is a way better game than Bayonetta 2. I'm saying that as someone who bought the Wii U for Bayonetta 2.

Disagree.

W101 was messy, had all those moments where you had to use the line drawing (like filling in one of the Orochi heads' eye) that often didn't work, the overall drawing mechanic was just bothersome and annoying. And I fucking get it, you're French, Wonder Green, shut the fuck up already.

I much more preferred the grace and close-to-perfection in controls that is Bayonetta 1 and 2.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Disagree.

W101 was messy, had all those moments where you had to use the line drawing (like filling in one of the Orochi heads' eye) that often didn't work, the overall drawing mechanic was just bothersome and annoying. And I fucking get it, you're French, Wonder Green, shut the fuck up already.

I much more preferred the grace and close-to-perfection in controls that is Bayonetta 1 and 2.

I didn't say it was perfect, but Bayonetta 2 is balanced poorly enough towards it isn't rewarding on replays like the first game. I've never been so disappointed in something I was greatly looking forward to but Bayonetta 2 falls apart in being rewarding on replays and the game never pushes you to really explore what is possible due to its poor balancing and lack of satisfying rewards due to being modeled around that stupid Umbran Climax mechanic.

Bayonetta 1 I'd say I'd enjoy as much as W101 so I got nothing there really and I've replayed both countless times. I played Bayonetta 2 about 4-5 times and retired it.

Sterok

Can't say I enjoyed Bayo 1 that much. Bloated with awful minigames (which would go on to ruin W101) and insta-death QTEs. Had no interest in Bayo 2 after that. Got around to it later anyway and loved it. Much less frustrating and generally felt smoother to me. That was something I could replay and actually enjoy.

I'm not saying this with any negative connotation, but at this point I want my entire Wii U library playable on the Switch. Well, maybe not Avengers: Battle for Earth or Devil's Third.

mcmmaster

It definitely doesn't suck you off right from the get go which is why I feel a lot of people have the wrong impression.

Once you overcome the gameplay barrier and it all finally clicks and starts to mesh together, it gets incredibly deep and fun, more so than Bayonetta.

Wonderful 101 is Platinum's Most Platinum game, and Hideki Kamiya's masterpiece, and while I can totally understand why people get frustrated with it... well, you're all wrong and it's incredible. Genius is never appreciated in its own time. It's the best game on the Wii U and when they port it it'll be the best game on the Switch, too. Fite me irl if you disagree.

That being said, I wouldn't object if they decided to include an optional alternate control scheme for a potential port. I don't think any other control method is going to be able to give you all the same functionality as the original while maintaining the fast pace; like, you could get the dozen or so Unite Morphs into a radial menu, which would be functional if clunky, but how are you going to do all the Wonder Liner stuff? But, I mean, an alternate control scheme certainly couldn't make the game sell any worse than it did the first time, so why not?

Heero5

It definitely doesn't suck you off right from the get go which is why I feel a lot of people have the wrong impression.

Once you overcome the gameplay barrier and it all finally clicks and starts to mesh together, it gets incredibly deep and fun, more so than Bayonetta.
100% it took my until chapter 5 for me to realize this games glory.

mcmmaster

Disagree.

Not once did I have problems with the line drawing, everything was smooth on the Pro controller using the analogue to draw during combat and QTE. It's especially fluid when you hold down what I think was either the L or R button to draw faster.

Thanks guys, now I'm listening to TW101 OST.

I'm not saying this with any negative connotation, but at this point I want my entire Wii U library playable on the Switch. Well, maybe not Avengers: Battle for Earth or Devil's Third.

I'd just be happy with Platinum's games and the complete Hyrule Warriors package, after that I'm more interested in sequels for things like Mario Maker and Smash.

Wonderful 101 is Platinum's Most Platinum game, and Hideki Kamiya's masterpiece, and while I can totally understand why people get frustrated with it... well, you're all wrong and it's incredible. Genius is never appreciated in its own time. It's the best game on the Wii U and when they port it it'll be the best game on the Switch, too. Fite me irl if you disagree.

That being said, I wouldn't object if they decided to include an optional alternate control scheme for a potential port. I don't think any other control method is going to be able to give you all the same functionality as the original while maintaining the fast pace; like, you could get the dozen or so Unite Morphs into a radial menu, which would be functional if clunky, but how are you going to do all the Wonder Liner stuff. But, I mean, an alternate control scheme certainly couldn't make the game sell any worse than it did the first time, so why not?

A lot of people figured out that treating the unite morph inputs as fighting game inputs (like, up left, up right, repeat for whip) makes it a lot easier to think about. If they treat the inputs like that when showing you how to do them in the game then I think it would click with a lot more people much more quickly.

That said, when I played I used the screen basically 95% of the time (besides the occasional sword morph) and it worked great for me, but obviously that's not a good solution for a Switch port.

_Clash_

I'm so glad this tease is real still

Thought I was hallucinating.

Good work Nintendo. They know a good game when they see one and will re release this

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Actually never used the touch inputs for W101 the whole time. lol
It seemed tuned enough to be very easy to use with the analogs also Saur's combo tutorial videos never really mentioned using it either so I never bothered when after I saw those either.

Has anyone translated the W101/Switch mockup's accompanying text yet?

わが社のゲームコーナーにワンダ・ディレクターたちが遊びに☺️うちのキャラクターモデリングアーティスト・舟橋が描きました

舟橋が過去に描いたヴォークン、イモータ、チューギのイラストもアップしとこうっと!ネタバレあり🙈

W101 is a way better game than Bayonetta 2. I'm saying that as someone who bought the Wii U for Bayonetta 2.

This statement is 100% correct. W101 is severely underrated due to demanding a lot of investment from players. The pay-off is second only to Bayo 1. Bayo 2 is the opposite. Very inviting at first but turns into almost a joke of a game the more you put into it.

This statement is 100% correct. W101 is severely underrated due to demanding a lot of investment from players. The pay-off is second only to Bayo 1. Bayo 2 is the opposite. Very inviting at first but turns into almost a joke of a game the more you put into it.

For some reason I found Bayo 2 to be much, much better and easier to replay than either Bayo 1 or TW101. It might be because I'm not great at character action games and Bayo 2 does give you a lot of tools to make the game easier.

But they're all masterpieces as far as I'm concerned. TW101 is like, peak Platinum insanity in all the best ways. I can't find it right now but what sold me on the game originally was a gif of a fist made up of humans punching a three headed cyber dragon from space into a skyscraper. The concept for the game is just brilliantly campy.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Yeah if I didn't get W101 with my Wii U I would say that it would have been entirely a waste buying the console and that would have been terrible. Considering I sold it and kept my disks for Bayo 1+2 and W101 I welcome a W101 port since I'd buy it right away. I'd get Bayo 1 also but I see no real reason to play it on my Switch considering I got the PC port now anyways. (I'll probably get it anyways if it comes.)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Are them boys playing W101 with Switch controllers?

What's hap

Keasar

Not once did I have problems with the line drawing, everything was smooth on the Pro controller using the analogue to draw during combat and QTE. It's especially fluid when you hold down what I think was either the L or R button to draw faster.

In the given example I was tasked with filling the eye on one of the heads of the giant dragon, I swear I had to retry this segment 10 times or more, as it would fill up to 99 but missing 1 which just for some reason wouldn't get the hell in.

I played with traditional controls, skipping the stylus drawing stuff, still disliked it. It was only passable enough to play through the game once but I have never returned to it because of how much the game pissed me off.

And if shit gets chalked up to "git gud", I have experience in Ninja Gaiden Black and 2, Devil May Cry 1, 3 and 4, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Metal Gear Rising and much more, none of those games genuinely made me angry at the controls like W101 did.

SilentRob

I absolutely love Platinum Games. But Wonderful 101 was overlong, repetitive, bloated and it's core fighting mechanic suffered from a terribly finicky and unreliable drawing mechanic.

If the game was half as long and completely changed the way character swapping was handled it could have been great.

Has anyone translated the W101/Switch mockup's accompanying text yet?

It's nothing. Just saying It's Wonder Director and friends playing in the company's game corner. It was drawn by their character modeling artist and notes an updated piece of art by the same person with a "Spoilers" tag at the end.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely love Platinum Games. But Wonderful 101 was overlong, repetitive, bloated and it's core fighting mechanic suffered from a terribly finicky and unreliable drawing mechanic.

If the game was half as long and completely changed the way character swapping was handled it could have been great.

I will fight you.

Though it's kind of true

Top Bottom