• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Tease a Mysterious New IP

Can we talk about how insane it is for a company in this day and age to do one console game a year? Good for Platinum.

Also, after they get a chance to do this new IP I'd love for them to get a hold of a Marvel property. They deserve a shot at a licensed IP where they're not being rushed stupidly thanks to Activision. :p

Ironically, Platinums best selling stuff has come from other peoples IPs. (Metal Gear and Nier).

And yes, it was huge wasted potential by giving Platinum Kora/Transformers/Turtles but with only a shoe string budget. Those could have been multimillion sellers if they'd just given them a Nier type budget.

TheMoon

As for ninty, yep they will do exclusives for them but I reckon they would be existing ip . Nintendo does not strike me as a company that would invest a open world action RPG. Not with xeno 2 coming out this year.

Nintendo funded these which released within about 9-ish months of each other.
113859_front.jpg
142975_front.jpg
179998_front.jpg
All varying degrees of Action RPG with more or less open world-design (different takes).

I'm going to be the odd man out and guess that the "formless, shapeless" comment in just a fun coincidence and this won't be anything to do with Bruce Lee. Honestly, I'm a huge Bruce Lee fan and I love Platinum, but if this were a Bruce Lee game, I wouldn't necessarily be super hyped. Would definitely check it out, of course, but I appreciate Platinum most because they go HAM on crazy sci-fi/fantasy crap; wild and weird and incomprehensible early 90s anime OVA storytelling; ridiculous weapons and huge bosses, etc. None of those elements would be in play in a Bruce Lee game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm going to be the odd man out and guess that the "formless, shapeless" comment in just a fun coincidence and this won't be anything to do with Bruce Lee. Honestly, I'm a huge Bruce Lee fan and I love Platinum, but if this were a Bruce Lee game, I wouldn't necessarily be super hyped. Would definitely check it out, of course, but I appreciate Platinum most because they go HAM on crazy sci-fi/fantasy crap; wild and weird and incomprehensible early 90s anime OVA storytelling; ridiculous weapons and huge bosses, etc. None of those elements would be in play in a Bruce Lee game.

Just call it Bruce Hand or God Lee and have Bruce kicking dudes into the stratosphere while you build combos out of different moves from all sorts of different martial arts styles to play to your own strengths.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is it time for P-Man to reemerge?
B7b05WQCQAEGqSr.jpg

Going off that developer video with Taro working with Platinum the last person to take off the mask when he was talking about someone else rising to director was Taura so I hope it's him.

_Clash_

Is there any reason to think Sakurai?

Because teasing the director like that makes me think it's clearly a deal

Makes fanboy sense

TheMoon

Their next game will be:
  • PC/PS4
  • PS4/Switch
  • PC/PS4/Switch

I don't think they will make a Switch only exclusive, honestly.

But I'm sure something Platinum will arrive on Switch, next year: a Bayonetta collection.

Of course they would. If Nintendo funds their pitch like with TW101. Devs don't walk around going "man, do I want to desperately make a console exclusive for X!"

Some Nobody

Nintendo funded these which released within about 9-ish months of each other.

All varying degrees of Action RPG with more or less open world-design (different takes).

This is a good point, but now that Monolith is churning out RPGs for them would they really feel the need to do this anymore?

EDarkness

Interesting development. My personal feeling is this is probably the NS game they're working on. No idea who the new director is, but since they're a new developer, it's probably someone we haven't heard of before. Which could be awesome.

Heh, I'd laugh so hard if they were working on a Bruce Lee game, though.

This is a good point, but now that Monolith is churning out RPGs for them would they really feel the need to do this anymore?

If they want to diversify their portfolio, then it would be a good idea. Especially if the third party situation isn't as robust as they'd like it to be. On top of that, for anything to be announced now, would mean that these games were in development for a while, so back then maybe Nintendo figured they'd go it alone, so having more games would be in their best interest.

TheMoon

Step away from the home consoles and look at their handheld stuff. Look how many RPGs they had various devs make for them.

Mario & Luigi series
Xenoblade 3D
Ever Oasis
Pokémon
They go out of their way to publish Yo-kai Watch which is basically just Not-Pokémon
Fire Emblem
plus them publishing/localizing a lot of RPG/related genre games in the West
etc

they don't checklist a genre for just one studio/team

You guys, I've figured it out:

Platinum owning their own IP: Platinum leverages the massive warchest that huge commercial successes like The Wonderful 101 and TMNT Mutants in Manhattan have won them to buy the Bayonetta IP from Sega.

A new director: While Hideki Kamiya is on vacation after the Scalebound debacle, an unknown bald fellow wearing orange sunglasses and sporting a goatee starts work at the Platinum office. He looks suspiciously familiar, but... no, Kamiya definitely didn't have a bushy, definitely-not-fake moustache like this new guy does.

A "formless, shapeless IP": Like a swirling cloud of enchanted, silky black hair...

Bayonetta 3 confirmed, baby. Nothing stops this train.

Passose

Banned
You guys, I've figured it out:

Platinum owning their own IP: Platinum leverages the massive warchest that huge commercial successes like The Wonderful 101 and TMNT Mutants in Manhattan have won them to buy the Bayonetta IP from Sega.

A new director: While Hideki Kamiya is on vacation after the Scalebound debacle, an unknown bald fellow wearing orange sunglasses and sporting a goatee starts work at the Platinum office. He looks suspiciously familiar, but... no, Kamiya definitely didn't have a bushy, definitely-not-fake moustache like this new guy does.

A "formless, shapeless IP": Like a swirling cloud of enchanted, silky black hair...

Bayonetta 3 confirmed, baby. Nothing stops this train.
he then invites Koizumi from Nintendo to the office and give him a deep French kiss

atr0cious

Just tell me what platform and I'll try to grab it.

His sayings were just as awesome as his martial arts.
Did you know they're all jokes because Bruce Lee couldn't stand the general public's fascination with "Asian mysticism?" He's literally making shit up to fuck with people.

Top Bottom