• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play-Asia PS5 listed at 699,99 $ (with blue ray), DualSense controller 79,99$

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Pol_Fake-News_10-21_PROMO.jpg

Mozza

IMO it's too early to tell what the leap will be. I want to see next-gens 'the order 1886' (graphics wise, though I loved the game) before I can tell what these machines can do.

TBH, I would have preferred that devs/whoever to stick to 1080p/60/120 and add a load of bells and whistles, then go 4K with the pro versions. I feel that the industry has leapt to 4k way too soon and have backed themselves in to a corner.

Very true, and as they have both upgraded their current consoles mid generation, the next leap was always going to seem smaller.

IMO it's too early to tell what the leap will be. I want to see next-gens 'the order 1886' (graphics wise, though I loved the game) before I can tell what these machines can do.

TBH, I would have preferred that devs/whoever to stick to 1080p/60/120 and add a load of bells and whistles, then go 4K with the pro versions. I feel that the industry has leapt to 4k way too soon and have backed themselves in to a corner.

True. I can understand that. Everything is still quite early so of course things can definitely improve. I also do think that introducing 4K this generation with the mid generation upgrades is going to make impressing with next generation even more challenging. We’ll see.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Anybody knows the latest we'll get the price for these?

I'm assuming once Sony announces the price, MS will soon follow..

Mozza

Anybody knows the latest we'll get the price for these?

I'm assuming once Sony announces the price, MS will soon follow..

I am guessing Microsoft may go very aggressive with their pricing this time round, they may be prepared to take a bigger hit on their console profit, to go for maximum market share and make money on the software and online services etc.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I am guessing Microsoft may go very aggressive with their pricing this time round, they may be prepared to take a bigger hit on their console profit, to go for maximum market share and make money on the software and online services etc.
Yep, that's what I think will happen too. Of course, theyre not gonna bleed as deeply they did in the seventh gen(Ps3 & 360). The trade off is just not there to the same degree anymore. This is still a business, not an ego trip.

So, we could get a rough estimation of how low it can get very soon.

Last edited:
"I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can. I don't necessarily mean lowest price,"

I don't think Jim Ryan would have made a statement like that if he was going to come out at $399. Maybe $499 but I think it might be higher than that.

I'm guessing $599, which I think is too high for the console market, especially when 1.5 console might appear in 3-4 years. If it is $699 they'll lose the entire casual gaming fanbase they gathered with the PS4. Diehards will probably still pay the price just like with the $599 PS3, but if the price is really high I expect others will wait for cheaper revisions of the hardware which also happened with the PS3.

Dthomp

Man this price talk has me concerned for a couple of reasons. First is anything above $500 is insane IMO, and I think 500 is too high for a console system, especially when we are not taking drastic visual leaps and bounds from our current batch of systems. Second, and Also Fuck off if controllers get up to $80 bucks. This gens controllers (at least PS4) have been dogshit and aren't even worth 65 bucks that they currently want. For 80 that thing better not die for a week and I never want to hear the term stick drift again.

Also, can't get hyped about overspending without any concrete info about the system, cause honestly for 500 bucks...this better be fully disc backwards compatible back to the PS1. I've always felt anything over $400 in todays market for a home console is asking to fail. Parents will not be rushing to buy a 500-600 dollar console for their household, and nothing new is hitting the market in the systems to make them look at it like a media device the way PS2 was a DVD player, and the PS3/4 were Blu-Ray players.

Consoles are meant to be cheaper alternatives to PC Gaming, and give families a couch gaming experience. Gaming PCs get cheaper by the year, and these consoles want to charge more, but offer me less in comparison?

Mozza

Man this price talk has me concerned for a couple of reasons. First is anything above $500 is insane IMO, and I think 500 is too high for a console system, especially when we are not taking drastic visual leaps and bounds from our current batch of systems. Second, and Also Fuck off if controllers get up to $80 bucks. This gens controllers (at least PS4) have been dogshit and aren't even worth 65 bucks that they currently want. For 80 that thing better not die for a week and I never want to hear the term stick drift again.

Also, can't get hyped about overspending without any concrete info about the system, cause honestly for 500 bucks...this better be fully disc backwards compatible back to the PS1. I've always felt anything over $400 in todays market for a home console is asking to fail. Parents will not be rushing to buy a 500-600 dollar console for their household, and nothing new is hitting the market in the systems to make them look at it like a media device the way PS2 was a DVD player, and the PS3/4 were Blu-Ray players.

Consoles are meant to be cheaper alternatives to PC Gaming, and give families a couch gaming experience. Gaming PCs get cheaper by the year, and these consoles want to charge more, but offer me less in comparison?

Which is why I would be surprised if the Ps5 is going to be $500 or over, but if Sony are using a more expensive custom SSD then who knows how much this will be pushing the price up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

No way this thing can be $699? Right? Please dont tell me theres actual legs to these rumours.

As close to the chest as the design of the console was where even first party developers or certain executives didn’t even know what it looked like, chances are very likely that retailers don’t even know the price yet either, least of all Play-Asia.

Especially with the seemingly cat and mouse game Microsoft and Sony are playing with each other.

We shall see, however.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

These fake prices might as well just be a PR hoax. It's a great strategy: as a company you plant all these fake prices on websites, then announce the real price of 499 and everyone is gonna be like: wooow, look, it's JUST 499!

Last edited:

Mozza

These fake prices might as well just be a PR hoax. It's a great strategy: as a company you plant all these fake prices on websites, then announce the real price of 499 and everyone is gonna be like: wooow, look, it's JUST 499!

There is a flip side to that however, I doubt Sony would want lots of inflated prices out there.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
As close to the chest as the design of the console was were even first party developers or certain executives didn’t even know what it looked like, chances are very likely that retailers don’t even know the price yet either, least of all Play-Asia.

Especially with the seemingly cat and mouse game Microsoft and Sony are playing with each other.

We shall see, however.

So, who ultimately would have approved of the PS5's official design? Kenichiro Yoshida, Jim Ryan, or Mark Cerny?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
80 for a controller ?! The haptic feedback is bullshit unless it's not just what's inside steam controller

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So, who ultimately would have approved of the PS5's official design? Kenichiro Yoshida, Jim Ryan, or Mark Cerny?

I think all of the above and the designers / system architects which isn’t a huge team. Then the head of global marketing was shown after it was already built and put together in a retail model “many months ago.”

PS5. Can you give us any insight into how the console design made its way out to the public?

Eric: I’ll give you a little story. Many months ago, I was in Tokyo. I got an invite to a meeting with Jim Ryan, our President [and CEO], and a bunch of other people. Pretty small group. And it was on a floor in the Sony headquarters building that I’d never been to before. The subject of the meeting was, “design.” So I thought I was going to a design meeting. And I got to this floor, and… there were a few doors you had to get through… you finally end up in this mini vault, a walk-in vault type of thing. There are these nice lights up above shining down. And there it was. Everything you saw today… PlayStation 5 was there, both units. The whole line of peripherals.

And while I think everybody got a good view today, with all the shots you saw in the show. When you see this thing in person, there are a lot of nice, surprising features… it’s gorgeous, it’s just a marvel. I think people are going to love having in their home, it’s something they’ll want to show off.

Last edited:
699.00 makes sense. People, if you want 10 teraflop+ and state of the art SSDs in your systems, that comes with a price. Take cell phones for example. 1000+ is the norm now. 5 years ago this would have been insane but now we even have s20+ at 1399, for a freaking cell phone. A ps5 at half that price with all the tech is justified. With this being said, just buy a PC lol.

599 would be a disaster

imagine 699

I don't think it would be a disaster. People who can't afford one still have a wealth of gaming options.

People expecting it to be $499...I don't think they realize how expensive the SSD alone is, assuming it is as cutting edge as it's made out to be. $600 is very likely.

Inuteu

I don't think it would be a disaster. People who can't afford one still have a wealth of gaming options.

People expecting it to be $499...I don't think they realize how expensive the SSD alone is, assuming it is as cutting edge as it's made out to be. $600 is very likely.
Im considering the ps3 reveal price, and what happened then at the time

Top Bottom