• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play-Asia PS5 listed at 699,99 $ (with blue ray), DualSense controller 79,99$

Kev Kev

vgUr8zl.gif

Seems high. I could see $599 but $699 might be a bit more than what people were expecting.

One thing is for sure, this forum would be a hilarious place soon after that $699 got announced.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Starting at $599 is a near doa.

Then again, for pc parts, a pcie4 1tb ssd is already $200, a 8 cores zen2 around $250, 16GB is about $100, and the level of customisation in dualsense.

Imo Sony decided to go balls deep for the transition from PS4 to PS5, from an affordable fun box to a premium gaming experience. Because of PS4 success of course.

I agree with you. Its bizarre that compagnies like Apple or Samsung can charge +1000 euros/dollars on a new model each year with bein’ accepted as “normal” while consoles gets a hard refresh every 7/8 years and expected to be half of the phones which are imo way less impressive

SmoothNinja

Neo Member
You think they are trying to fake out Microsoft with a high price tag to get MS to set the price of XsX higher so Sony can undercut them?
Do you really think Microsoft conducts business by logging into Best Buy seeing a placeholder price of 999.99 and saying we got em boys....

Absolutely not. They'll wait for an official announcement from Sony. Cmon man

Hissing Sid

I agree with you. Its bizarre that compagnies like Apple or Samsung can charge +1000 euros/dollars on a new model each year with bein’ accepted as “normal” while consoles gets a hard refresh every 7/8 years and expected to be half of the phones which are imo way less impressive

Number of ppl in rl I know who occasionally play computer games on their TV’s = Maybe 5/6.

Number of ppl in rl I know who use their phones every day and keep them with them at all times = All of them.

When video game console become an essential accessory for virtually every human on the planet rather than just being a toy for occasional amusement, then maybe they’ll start paying more.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Number of ppl in rl I know who occasionally play computer games on their TV’s = Maybe 5/6.

Number of ppl in rl I know who use their phones every day and keep them with them at all times = All of them.

When video game console become an essential accessory for virtually every human on the planet rather than just being a toy for occasional amusement, then maybe they’ll start paying more.

True... but what is so essential abt phones rather then consoles?

Gravemind

it ain't gonna be over 499, these people indirectly heard about the listing on Play-Asia and just want clicks...

Not that I think the rumours are true, but if you're referring to what Jessica said then I'm going to call bullshit on that. She tweeted that 2 days ago, long before the Play-Asia listing was even up.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I would be shocked if anyone goes over $500 or $529 with a base system (no extra space or bundled accessories or whatever).

You boil the frog slowly with prices. You don't just flamethrower the thing, as PS3 showed.

Ten_Fold

I can see disc based being $599 and digital being $499. If the digital doesn’t have any hardware downgrades, it won’t be a big difference in price.

jakinov

That's going to be a placeholder, because $699 wouldn't make any sense. Then they really over engineered that SSD.
Not just SSD though, they seemingly invested some money in the cooling, audio chip, and probably some other custom hardware. For the main components a lot of new bleeding-edge technology. Don't think it's $699 either. Pretty sure this site everything is awlays listed higher.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Most people don't pay for their phones in their entirety at once but pay for them via monthly installment plans that last as long as two years.

TheMan

Could I? yes
Would I? that's a different story

And 80 for that controller is also an oof.

I feel like they've been dropping hints that this thing will be expensive but I really hope 700 is wrong.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I don’t see a price anymore, so I don’t think they got it right. I think these placeholders are just a bunch of lies.

Ogbert

Its bizarre that compagnies like Apple or Samsung can charge +1000 euros/dollars on a new model each year with bein’ accepted as “normal” while consoles gets a hard refresh every 7/8 years and expected to be half of the phones which are imo way less impressive

Not that I disagree but, on the whole, most people don't pay that amount in an individual sum. They walk out the store with a fancy piece of kit and then forget the monthly amount that will be flying out of their account.

If people could pay for these consoles in installments, they could easily double the price and no one would bat an eyelid.

The size and the All Digital Edition make me believe the is going to be more expensive than people were expecting.

It is almost a tradition that the larger console is more expensive.

Klik

PS4 was listed 499$ before its price announcement. So don't trust anything except offical price

Just for reference 600$ in 2006 when the PS3 released would be the equivalent of over 760$ now with inflation.

Personally I think it will be 500$ for the digital and 600$ for the blu ray.

The Alien

Banned
I dont see a $700 console. That's laughable suicide. Sony knows this.

$500 for All Digital PS5
$600 for BluRay Drive PS5

I'd like to be wrong by $100 on each, but with Jim Ryan noting that the "PS5 may not be the lowest price" doesnt bode well.

I hope the new consoles are expensive, i'm tired of paying a pittance for a piece of shit. The PS4 and Xbone may have done a great job with what little they had but I want both consoles to have moar!

Plus, if all the peasants refuse to pay the high price, then there will be less queues on day one and less chance of them selling out. Maybe I will have that brief window of enthusiast gamers dominating online, rather than some snotty-nosed spoilt fat fucking child

Mozza

I hope the new consoles are expensive, i'm tired of paying a pittance for a piece of shit. The PS4 and Xbone may have done a great job with what little they had but I want both consoles to have moar!

Plus, if all the peasants refuse to pay the high price, then there will be less queues on day one and less chance of them selling out. Maybe I will have that brief window of enthusiast gamers dominating online, rather than some snotty-nosed spoilt fat fucking child

While I like the idea of this, in reality it would make the next generation a tough sell for the masses, and I doubt the hard core hobby games will be able to carry the next generation all by themselves.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
over engineered? So gamers complain when something isn't good enough, and then when it's too good? What's up with you people?
When it drives the price up unnecessarily, yes.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I like to think its fake but Jim has kinda been hinting at a pricy console. Then again we got a digital one too to obviously run at a more affordable price.

Im still hoping its not a penny over $499.

I doubt it will be $699. Probably $500 to $600. $700 or even $600 would most likely price them out of the market. IF it is even remotely close to that much, every game needs to be 4K 60fps. If we have to pay a premium price, we should get premium performance. I expected the controller to be around $79 considering the Dual Shock 4 is still $60 to $65 which is ridiculous.

Last edited:
While I like the idea of this, in reality it would make the next generation a tough sell for the masses, and I doubt the hard core hobby games will be able to carry the next generation all by themselves.
Yeah, those hardcore hobby gamers who carried gaming for 30 years while it was socially and culturally unacceptable. Now that the vast majority of those gamers are stinking rich, it will be a hard sell. Sorry if this sounds shitty, i'm pissed off at the moment and couldn't think of a nice way to get my point across.

Though tbh, the early years of the 360, before the masses took hold of gaming, it had an 11 game : console attach rate, which was mainly the hardcore fans.

I think it's time for gaming to be made expensive on the outset (the console) and games to be realistically priced, or free, like gamepass

I see exactly where you are come from, but for $600 to $700, I’m expecting a substantial leap over the current generation at 4K, 60fps at least, no excuses.

From what I’ve seen and heard, I’m not seeing a generational leap to warrant a significantly higher prices. All of the games weren’t even running at 4K, 60fps. I don’t mind paying a higher price, but I want to see a noteworthy leap to justify the price.

Last edited:

Mozza

Yeah, those hardcore hobby gamers who carried gaming for 30 years while it was socially and culturally unacceptable. Now that the vast majority of those gamers are stinking rich, it will be a hard sell. Sorry if this sounds shitty, i'm pissed off at the moment and couldn't think of a nice way to get my point across.

Though tbh, the early years of the 360, before the masses took hold of gaming, it had an 11 game : console attach rate, which was mainly the hardcore fans.

I think it's time for gaming to be made expensive on the outset (the console) and games to be realistically priced, or free, like gamepass

You will always spend far more on the media so I do get your point, but my issue is for the big two hardcore players to try and expand the core market, as it's been at pretty much 160 million consoles for the last two generations, and to be honest you have to look at Nintendo's console sales as kind of different market, a more accessible price may do this, although both the Ps4 and Xbox One did drop to pretty impulse purchase price towards the latter period in their lifecycles.

You will always spend far more on the media so I do get your point, but my issue is for the big two hardcore players to try and expand the core market, as it's been at pretty much 160 million consoles for the last two generations, and to be honest you have to look at Nintendo's console sales as kind of different market, a more accessible price may do this, although both the Ps4 and Xbox One did drop to pretty impulse purchase price towards the latter period in their lifecycles.
I don't think both Microsoft and Sony are going after the hardcore market, I hope i'm wrong because Microsoft is at its' peak when it aims for the hardcore.

With the Xbone, XboneX, XSX and maybe lockhart all sharing games etc, I can see Microsoft trying to eak the casuals over to the next-gen but they aren't forcing anyone just yet. I wouldn't be surprised if the XSX-X/Pro goes full balls to the wall, batshit crazy with power, similar to how the X did.

Either way, jack up the price and keep the serfs out.

I see exactly where you are come from, but for $600 to $700, I’m expecting a substantial leap over the current generation at 4K, 60fps at least, no excuses.

From what I heard and saw, not all games were even running at 4k and 60fps and most of them imo didn’t even look like generational leaps to warrant this rumored high price tag. I don’t mind paying a higher price, but I want to see a noteworthy leap to justify the price.
IMO it's too early to tell what the leap will be. I want to see next-gens 'the order 1886' (graphics wise, though I loved the game) before I can tell what these machines can do.

TBH, I would have preferred that devs/whoever to stick to 1080p/60/120 and add a load of bells and whistles, then go 4K with the pro versions. I feel that the industry has leapt to 4k way too soon and have backed themselves in to a corner.

Top Bottom