• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo: E3 2014 Nintendo's events full schedule

So Nintendo's Eternal Darkness trademark officially expires for the last time right after E3. Think we'll see anything? Even an HD remake?

Canon

Banned
It was the kind of widescreen where you get a squished image rendered in 4:3 and it is stretched by the TV to be normal looking 16:9 though :p (Clever trick, some games used that even on the 360 and PS3 if I'm not mistaken.)
Uh... no, it was true 16:9. Some games like Mario Party 8 weren't, but most were.

Lumyst

Uh... no, it was true 16:9. Some games like Mario Party 8 weren't, but most were.

I read that it's "anamorphic" widescreen though, there's this image that shows the concept well:
Anamorphic02.jpg

So the Wii would render 640x480 in both cases, even in widescreen mode, but the appearance after the TV scales the image horizontally for the Wii's widescreen mode image would have it appear normal rather than squished.

Although Xenoblade Chronicles did have letterboxing on an SDTV (which prompted me to finally get an HDTV in 2012 lol, it was impossible to see the details properly, such as text, now I know that it would have been 640x360 on the SDTV)

Dr. Buni

There is this one guy in the comments of TeeFury who mentioned it too but that was the first time I ever saw anyone talk about it.

2640284-screen+shot+2014-06-03+at+9.13.03+pm.png
No idea who this person might be, but I hope he knows something and there is a new Metroid in the works.

Then again, we already know Retro isn't working on Metroid, so I am not sure if it would even turn out to be good... Freaking Other M traumatized me :(

MrBadger

Then again, we already know Retro isn't working on Metroid, so I am not sure if it would even turn out to be good... Freaking Other M traumatized me :(

I'm sure Nintendo are aware what people think of Other M. I'm not all that concerned, because Retro weren't behind Super and Fusion and they were great. I'll just be happy if it's 2D, not storybased and not set on a fucking space station again.

and if it exists.

LordOfChaos

Not sure if serious but the Wii can output in widescreen. Looks just like that on my TV.

I was serious, I did not know that. I thought in the early days I saw it either letterboxed or stretched, I guess it was either patched later or someone just didn't set it up right.

mclem

This is what I'm most curious about. That 3DS title has to be big, since I'm strongly surprised they aren't spending time on Pokemon ORAS instead.

Didn't Monolith have something 3DSey in the pipeline way back when, too? Or am I misremembering?

Oh, sod it, forget that. MOTHER 4, PEOPLE!

Dr. Buni

I'm sure Nintendo are aware what people think of Other M. I'm not all that concerned, because Retro weren't behind Super and Fusion and they were great. I'll just be happy if it's 2D, not storybased and not set on a fucking space station again.

and if it exists.
They were great, but who knows if the people who work on Nintendo R&D1 are the same who developed Fusion and Zero Mission.

I just want a good Metroid game again, side scroller or 3D, it doesn't matter. And obviously, the game shouldn't have story crap like Other M. Give me lore instead.
Didn't Monolith have something 3DSey in the pipeline way back when, too? Or am I misremembering?
No, there is no Monolith Soft game for the 3DS, unfortunately.

Riki

They were great, but who knows if the people who work on Nintendo R&D1 are the same who developed Fusion and Zero Mission.

I just want a good Metroid game again, side scroller or 3D, it doesn't matter. And obviously, the game shouldn't have story crap like Other M. Give me lore instead.

No, there is no Monolith Soft game for the 3DS, unfortunately.
I wouldn't say no game.
But any Monolith game for 3DS will be a license game like Robot Wars or Project X Zone.

Effect

So Nintendo's Eternal Darkness trademark officially expires for the last time right after E3. Think we'll see anything? Even an HD remake?

Has Nintendo ever let a trademark die off like this?

An announcement of GameCube VC and a re-release of titles that include Eternal Darkness would be an easy way for them to keep it I think and not further invest in the IP or trademark. They just have to be actively using it in some manner.

Damn, today I learned I won't be able to watch this live. Now I will have to catch it 3 hours after the fact, while avoiding spoilers. I also somehow will have to catch up on the Nintendo Minute and Treehouse stuff.

Not

Banned
Don't forget the developer discussions.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/03/nintendo-reveal-full-plans-timings-e3/

Nintendo Developer Discussion #1 (Press only)

June 10th at 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM PT

This event is a Super Smash Bros. presentation followed by a Q&A with director Masahiro Sakurai. It appears Nintendo do not plan to stream this event. Siliconera will be at the event, though, and will report news from it.

Nintendo Developer Discussion #2 (Press only)

June 11th at 6:00 – 7:30 PM PT

A presentation and Q&A session for a “new game for Nintendo 3DS”. No streaming announced for this event either. Siliconera will be at this event, too.

EDIT:

SO BEATEN IT HURTS. OUCH

The E3 community is such an easy way to get Yeahs. My drawing is terrible and one picture I drew (I think it was the Retro Studios logo) got over 100 Yeahs. A drawing of X got me a lot also.

There may be a way for me to see the digital event live and then do what I have to do. It isn't as easy as before, but it is possible.

How will this be handled on the forum? For example, a single thread for Treehouse with title changes as the day progresses, or a new thread each time?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This is IGN's E3 2014 schedule

http://www.ign.com/events/e3?schedule

As you can see, it seems the Nintendo Digital Event will be streamed there as well. But this isn't the (main) possible news from the schedule. As you can see, like on Twitch, the spot is 09:00 - 10:00. Seeing how that spot on Twitch was followed by two Deep Silver games spots, I thought that would have been not an indication of the actual length of the event, outside of it being longer than 30 minutes. However, IGN has a post-show dedicated to the DE as well, with even a special guest, right at 10:00. So, could it be a sort-of-hint that the DE will last around 1 hour (more than 50 minutes, less than 1 hour/1 hour)?

Riki

What is the best way to watch all of this on.a cellphone ??

Are Nintendo even gonna stream the digital event on Twitch?

The Digital Event will be on:

Twitch
YouTube
UStream
NicoNico
IGN
GameTrailers
GameSpot

If any of those players work for you, watch it there.

The Digital Event will be on:

Twitch
YouTube
UStream
NicoNico
IGN
GameTrailers
GameSpot

If any of those players work for you, watch it there.

Awesome thanx !! Will download all of em just to be sure in case there was a problem with one of em during the live event.

Blues1990

Thank you for providing the full schedule. I'm going to start my new contract on the 16th, so that leaves me a week to experience all the directs & attend to the Best Buy event. Mega Man will rise again, so he can achieve true, everlasting peace!

Glad to see the Digital Event getting coverage on multiple websites.

Anyways, do you guys think Devils Third might show up during the DE? Last rumour was that Nintendo picked it up after THQ went under but don't know how credible that was.

-Horizon-

This is IGN's E3 2014 schedule

http://www.ign.com/events/e3?schedule

As you can see, it seems the Nintendo Digital Event will be streamed there as well. But this isn't the (main) possible news from the schedule. As you can see, like on Twitch, the spot is 09:00 - 10:00. Seeing how that spot on Twitch was followed by two Deep Silver games spots, I thought that would have been not an indication of the actual length of the event, outside of it being longer than 30 minutes. However, IGN has a post-show dedicated to the DE as well, with even a special guest, right at 10:00. So, could it be a sort-of-hint that the DE will last around 1 hour (more than 50 minutes, less than 1 hour/1 hour)?

The hype is real...as if that was ever in question lol
Maybe localization surprises?

Riki

Glad to see the Digital Event getting coverage on multiple websites.

Anyways, do you guys think Devils Third might show up during the DE? Last rumour was that Nintendo picked it up after THQ went under but don't know how credible that was.
We know someone picked it up after THQ went under. Sony isn't likely since they don't do that.
So it's really between Microsoft and Nintendo.
And with Nintendo picking up Bayo2, I'd give them the edge.
The hype is real...as if that was ever in question lol
Maybe localization surprises?
Could be. Nintendo has a history of showing off games outside the conference.
Like Brawl, Project 100, OoT 3D, Pikmin 3, Zelda: SS.
It's hard to know what they'll be doing, but it's damn exciting to think about!

I'm sure it will be at E3. If Monday goes by without it being revealed then I imagine Nintendo picked it up. If they don't reveal it, I'm sure some other 3rd party will on opening day. Most of the rumors I've read point to Nintendo though. Hell if you google Devil's Third, Wii U is the number one search result so there's been chatter about it.

-Horizon-

We know someone picked it up after THQ went under. Sony isn't likely since they don't do that.
So it's really between Microsoft and Nintendo.
And with Nintendo picking up Bayo2, I'd give them the edge.

Could be. Nintendo has a history of showing off games outside the conference.
Like Brawl, Project 100, OoT 3D, Pikmin 3, Zelda: SS.
It's hard to know what they'll be doing, but it's damn exciting to think about!
*starts fanning myself*
4 more (well 3 more in a bit) days to go!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I was serious, I did not know that. I thought in the early days I saw it either letterboxed or stretched, I guess it was either patched later or someone just didn't set it up right.
GC, PS2, XB, and Wii all had anamorphic widescreen output, but for Wii it was standard for all sw. It's not a matter of hw support - all SD devices can "support" anamorphic - it's not a function of the source signal but of the display.

one_kill

Not really. Surprises could be surprise guests. It coudk be a contest. It could also be about the latest game reveals they said they would have.
The W101 was revealed during a GT show after the E3 presentation. Sure it could be nothing, but it could also be something.

It was anamorphic 16:9, meaning it was still being rendered in 640x480 (4:3), but the pixels were a different shape so when your TV stretched them, it looked normal. You weren't actually getting any more graphical fidelity by going widescreen, you just fit it to whatever TV you were using.

(Same story with widescreen DVDs. The DVD spec was locked to 640x480, but they could make it anamorphic as a work-around).

Seriously hoping for an announcement regarding Bravely Second's localization. Granted it's not even out in Japan yet, the hype surrounding Bravely Default and it's sales in the US (or rather outside of Japan as a whole) surely warrant the game's localization efforts during the development stage to have it release a lot sooner (if not roughly in the same time frame) than the previous title

Seriously hoping for an announcement regarding Bravely Second's localization. Granted it's not even out in Japan yet, the hype surrounding Bravely Default and it's sales in the US (or rather outside of Japan as a whole) surely warrant the game's localization efforts during the development stage to have it release a lot sooner (if not roughly in the same time frame) than the previous title

I'm hoping against hope the Bravely Default hype and sales means Nintendo is picking up Dragon Quest VII

Sandfox

We need to get DQ7 first.

JoeM86

Surprises during the TreeHouse streams would be shocking, yes.

Don't forget that Nintendo have a habit of revealing things outside their conference. Wonderful 101 for example, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the Skyward Sword artwork, and much more.

It's not that unprecedented

Edit: Just seen I was beaten. Whoops.

Top Bottom