• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player One Podcast - 200 Episode of Awesome

mik

mik is unbeatable
Love 'em or not (and I do), you gotta doff your cap to a group of dudes who put together 200 podcasts--missing a week only .5% of that time--for nothing more than the love of the games, the chat, and each other. Thanks Phil, Greg, CJ, and other Greg (and, to a lesser degree Dan and DormerBot)!

http://www.playeronepodcast.com/2010/08/22/episode-200-082310-smell-this-map/

This week! It’s our 200th episode extravaganza, which means a slightly longer runtime than usual plus lots of tangential conversations. We talk about some of the game tapes we played this week which includes Ys Seven, Madden 11, NHL 11, Monster Dash, Monday Night Combat, Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dragon Quest IX, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and oh so much more. Thanks to all our listeners for their amazing support over the past 200 shows, we wouldn’t be able to do this without you!
Direct download: Episode 200 mp3

Now make 200 more!

Shurs

I haven't listened to PlayerOne for months, but I'll be downloading this. Thanks for the heads up.

I love that these guys gain nothing from this endeavor, but they do this because they love games and the discussion that surrounds them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I havent listened to months either but I'll start again with this episode. This and CAGcast are only podcasts I really listen to these days

mr.beers

Best podcast ever, GiantBomb a close 2nd. Phil's Milo voice is excellent he is the best part of the show. Who on this podcast helped start GAF? I remember hearing discussions about that at one point.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, cool!
I know I started listening right around the 100th or so episode.
Great show guys, heres to a hundred more!

GhaleonQ

It's the best!

voltron said:
This podcast should really get a weekly thread.

This week: it's hilarious and they talk about Japanese and handheld games somewhat more often than every other podcast.

Feel free to copy and paste this template, all.

Rlan

Love you guys, but some of the hate and reasoning during the Monday Night Combat talk was woeful. I don't think anyone actually knew what the game even is.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
mr.beers said:
Best podcast ever, GiantBomb a close 2nd. Phil's Milo voice is excellent he is the best part of the show. Who on this podcast helped start GAF? I remember hearing discussions about that at one point.
This is true, but it still makes me blush.

Seriously, though, thanks for listening, all. I'm glad someone's enjoying it.

And it was Sewart who helped start up Gaming Age.

Axiom

God 4 years? I feel so old. Listened from the start.

Phil has always kept me listening simply because he and I seem share the exact same sense of humour and torture those around us with it.

I miss game club.

There's been lots of odd moments, I think I've listened to the Yarnball story 50 times, Greg leaving the show for about a minute then coming back as a guest seemingly every week. Dormer continually fucking with them. The fact it's the only podcast to drastically change it's theme song and end up with something much better. When I found the P1 app was built on the podcast app version of unreal engine 3 and there were 100 different apps the exact same with different names.

It seems like everyone got married and had 10 kids during the run too.

Keep on truckin' Player 1!

C Jones

Do you know which espisode the Yarnball story is on? For some reason it doesn't ring a bell and I've only missed a handful of episodes.

The "Horshack Test" is still my favorite episode. Slim's stories were classic, especially the one about the Jurassic Park arcade machine. I've listened to that story so many times (I never take it off my iPod/iPhone) and it never gets old. Sewarts "hot...that is SO hot" line gets me every time.

http://www.playeronepodcast.com/2009/03/08/episode-124-030909-horshack-test/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Awesome intro xD

btw. Can someone hook-me up with the whole dormer situation ? Why did he left ?

I jumped in at episode 75, but I've since gone back and listened to the first 74 episodes (good to listen to when driving if there's no new podcasts out)

One of my favourite podcasts. Not quite up there with the Gods of 1UP Yours, GFW Radio, Giant Bombcast and Idle Thumbs, but it's the strongest one that I listen to in the second tier of shows. :)

Edit: Love the intro. :lol

stewy

cw_sasuke said:
Awesome intro xD

btw. Can someone hook-me up with the whole dormer situation ? Why did he left ?

The short story is that, where we're all in different parts of the country, scheduling is really a weekly nightmare. We all make concessions to give up a part of our weekends in order to be there and record when at the agreed time.

Things just got to a point where Dan would stop showing up, even though he'd agreed to record at a particular time. And things got worse when we would see him online during recording but he wouldn't respond to messages or calls. So we finally just told him we didn't need him to come back. It wasn't worth the hassle.

I can't remember if Dormerbot was born before or after that happened. But that bit basically grew out of Dan missing yet another episode. I suggested to CJ, mostly as a joke, that we should use one of those voice programs to force Dan to take part in the show.

A while later, Dan actually emailed CJ and suggested that we "get the band back together" for a particular episode (I want to say it was 100). So we set it all up. And then, of course, when the scheduled time came, Dan was nowhere to be found.

So yeah...

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Been listening for over two years. The first episode I listened to was about CJ waiting in line for 5+ hours at the Apple store for something iPhone relate (3G probably). I thought he was crazy and that was only the start.

Hopefully the podcast has many episodes to come!

Much respect for constantly putting out a podcast, rarely having technical problems. If I was into console download titles I'd listen way more- I think POP has the best coverage there.

This is my only must-listen podcast every week. I love the wide-ranging discussions.

Of course, as a sports gamer, I must admit I am offended each week by their blatant hatred of all things athletic. I was giddy the other week when Ford went on a sports bender when CJ and Phil were MIA.

All kidding aside, though, I love what P1P does and feel like these guys are my buddies.

I may even start stalking Phil. He could use a little more excitement in his life.

Gomu Gomu

Congrats POP :D.
I've been listening faithfully since episode 118. Love the conversations and the flow of the podcast. The chemistry between the four is just ridiculous. You rarely see anything like it in a podcast. Especially if it's done on Skype.

P.S.: I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but after 82 episodes I cannot tell who is who. Aside from Ford, whose got a different voice, the three others sound EXACTLY the same. Also, their names are probably the most generic North American names ever, which only makes distinguishing them harder. :lol

SuperPac

Axiom said:
God 4 years? I feel so old. Listened from the start.

Phil has always kept me listening simply because he and I seem share the exact same sense of humour and torture those around us with it.

I miss game club.

Good news - Game Club is back and we're doing it next week with Super Metroid. There's a blog post all about it.

There's been lots of odd moments, I think I've listened to the Yarnball story 50 times, Greg leaving the show for about a minute then coming back as a guest seemingly every week. Dormer continually fucking with them. The fact it's the only podcast to drastically change it's theme song and end up with something much better. When I found the P1 app was built on the podcast app version of unreal engine 3 and there were 100 different apps the exact same with different names.

It seems like everyone got married and had 10 kids during the run too.

Keep on truckin' Player 1!

Only Sewart has had children as of yet but yeah, lotsa fun moments there in our run. I had no idea the Podcast App was build on the Unreal Engine. Is that true?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
stewy said:
The short story is that, where we're all in different parts of the country, scheduling is really a weekly nightmare. We all make concessions to give up a part of our weekends in order to be there and record when at the agreed time.

Things just got to a point where Dan would stop showing up, even though he'd agreed to record at a particular time. And things got worse when we would see him online during recording but he wouldn't respond to messages or calls. So we finally just told him we didn't need him to come back. It wasn't worth the hassle.

I can't remember if Dormerbot was born before or after that happened. But that bit basically grew out of Dan missing yet another episode. I suggested to CJ, mostly as a joke, that we should use one of those voice programs to force Dan to take part in the show.

A while later, Dan actually emailed CJ and suggested that we "get the band back together" for a particular episode (I want to say it was 100). So we set it all up. And then, of course, when the scheduled time came, Dan was nowhere to be found.

So yeah...

Ah thank for explanation, sad to hear but it makes sense, reminds me of an old friend of mine who used to behave like that...

But nevermind, so happy that you guys are still putting out this great shows week for week - keep up the good work guys :D

@Super-Pac

Game Club is back ? Super Metroid ? Awesome, just right before Other M !!!

I'll be sure to download this when my current podcast car cd is finished.

It was either episode 198 or 199 -- I think 199 -- I was listening to last week and had never laughed so hard while listening to a podcast. I think it was when they said Madden 11 was a home run.

mik

mik is unbeatable
RichyDevil said:
Of course, as a sports gamer, I must admit I am offended each week by their blatant hatred of all things athletic. I was giddy the other week when Ford went on a sports bender when CJ and Phil were MIA.
*high five* It was good to get a faux-Sports Anomaly fix that week. Bring it back, Ford and Zuniga!

SuperPac

Oh, forgot to post this in the usual show notes but here's a shot of the Monitaur award.

monitaur.jpg

Oxx

Congrats guys!

I was actually listening to this episode earlier and walked past a van with 'Dormer Construction' written on the side. Kinda creepy.

And I know the question was aimed at the P1P 'talent', but in terms of favourite/milestone episodes I'll just say that the tribute episode to Andy was very well done and quite touching.

Ifrit

Congratulations for the 200th episodes, have been listening since around the 50th episode (like 3 years ago I guess).

Thanks for the continuous effort, I really appreciate it.

Listening to your podcast makes doing boring stuff fun

wondermega

still my favorite gaming podcast, although they really need to rename it "Playa One Podcast, Playa"

fools missing out need to get on board.

Guy Legend

My favorite podcast. If I only have time to listen to one (which is often), this is it.

Congrats on 200 and many more.

Congrats again guys! Player One has always been one of my favourite podcasts ever since I first started listening, love what you guys do and hope you keep doing it for a long time to come. An especially funny ep this week too, especially CJ struggling to talk after the "blow you" message, loved the zinger too.

And thanks for the shoutout too, glad to know my write ups of the show make CJ feel inadequate, guess I'm doing a good job. :lol

Top Bottom