• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player One Podcast - Episode 97 - Pax Attack

TheExodu5

Banned
Didn't see this posted yet.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/playerone/09_01_08-Episode97.mp3

Direct from the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle, Washington--a super-sized episode of the Player One Podcast. This week: Thoughts and/or Impressions of games at PAX including Resistance 2, Wipeout HD, Rhythm Heaven, Guitar Hero World Tour, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Midnight Club: Los Angeles, Ninjatown, Dragon Ball Origins, Wii Music, Tales of Vesperia, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, Rock Band 2, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm Pacific Rift and Need for Speed Undercover.

Plus, a number of segments featuring special guests Shawn Smith (of Shawnimals/Ninjatown), Patrick Klepek (of MTV Multiplayer), Bryan Intihar (of Insomniac Games) and Shane Bettenhausen (of 1UP/EGM). Many thanks to everyone who agreed to spend a little time recording with us.

Longest episode yet? 3 hours long!

Live long, Player One!

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
EPIC

I saw a pic on Parish's 1UP blog of the Player One crew taping a Dreamcast retrospective for 1UP. I can't think of 3 better people to have on. :D I'm hoping for some PSO talk.

Rlan

media.jpg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
farnham said:
more wii hate on p1p...

I feel lonelier then in the GC days...
Yeah they were BRUTAL. I'm just glad they laid off the PS3. :lol

Anyways I loved the interviews. It felt like really honest opinions from both the game makers and game journalists side of things. Really fascinating stuff.

farnham

Banned
sykoex said:
Yeah they were BRUTAL. I'm just glad they laid off the PS3. :lol
I mean really why would you want to destroy a console

Greg, Phil and CJ are no journalists anymore.. So whatever they say thats their opinions and all..

but Shane... (and the whole 1up crew for that matter) He works at a fuckin magazine... He is supposed to be objective.. Maybe he should say to milkie that EGM shouldnt cover Wii anymore or something.. sheesh..

It doesnt help 1up if they have a public Wii booing with having a MS employee in the panel

Many people have different tastes and Im sorry that Shane or Greg dont care about SSBB or MKWii.. or Wiifit for that matter.. but some people do.. Its a longshot to say that the whole gaming public hates the wii just because some guys that went to the 1up panel booed it out..

farnham said:
lMany people have different tastes and Im sorry that Shane or Greg dont care about SSBB or MKWii.. or Wiifit for that matter.. but some people do.. Its a longshot to say that the whole gaming public hates the wii just because some guys that went to the 1up panel booed it out..
Really? This is some bullshit being typed... Anyways sounds awesome, will listen.

farnham

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Really? This is some bullshit being typed... Anyways sounds awesome, will listen.
they also said that the wii is not being used by luke smith and its collecting dust

luke smith is a MS employee and is not an enthusiastic gamer to begin with what the hell is he going to say..

Well I think I should stop the bashing

This 3 hour podcast is the best PAX podcast available and those things I mentioned are minor gripes

SickBoy

Rlan said:

Wow, Greg looks nothing at all like what I expected. Thanks to what I assume is camera magic, Phil looks much taller than I'd expect.

Also through what I'm hoping is camera magic, it looks like Greg's got a stump on his right arm. And if you look quickly, really weird hair (but it's just the curtains through the spaces between his headset and head... I'm pretty sure).

I haven't touched my Wii in months, but I think it still gets far too much hate. Its first year and a bit (basically up until Boom Blox came out) there were a lot of good games out. For a console to have Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, Metroid and Mario Kart in a year and a half and all of them range from good to exceptional, dismissing the console forever because its current line up is dead is jumping the gun. I want more games, and more diverse ones, but I bet the people saying there's nothing to play on Wii probably haven't played/completed all the good games.

farnham

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I haven't touched my Wii in months, but I think it still gets far too much hate. Its first year and a bit (basically up until Boom Blox came out) there were a lot of good games out. For a console to have Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, Metroid and Mario Kart in a year and a half and all of them range from good to exceptional, dismissing the console forever because its current line up is dead is jumping the gun. I want more games, and more diverse ones, but I bet the people saying there's nothing to play on Wii probably haven't played/completed all the good games.
http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?main=nin&table=game_nin02&page=1&left=b&num=18571

just sayin

Barrett2

I love your Mega Man shirt, Phil.

Thanks for the 3 hour mega-episode. This will make for some good listening today while I play Mercs 2.

As for my 2 cents on the Wii lineup, I must say I agree with the haters. As the system moves forward, it is looking more and more like a 'sideshow' than a legitimate platform. There are some good games on the horizon, don't get me wrong, but the vast majority of announced games just look terrible. It has turned into the cheap shovelware cash-in machine, and that is something nobody should be happy with.

jax (old)

Banned
seriously amazing podcast - the fries story is .... :lol :lol :lol I've actually experienced it before. :)

you guys knocked it outta the park. This is amazing.

theBishop

Banned
Blast! That's a good lineup. All its missing is Fallout3, Gears2, and Fable2 (where they at PAX?).

Will listen this afternoon.

jax (old)

Banned
the length of this show definitely makes it much better than the other PAXcasts out there - I've listened to the 1up + giantbomb and this and this is definitely the best. This isn't getting the attention it deserves. All the mini-interview segments they interspersed in were all superb. I particularly enjoyed the shane one, his kenji eno story was class. :D

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Jax said:
the length of this show definitely makes it much better than the other PAXcasts out there - I've listened to the 1up + giantbomb and this and this is definitely the best.

no need to beat a dead horse, but i had to skip the 1up yours podcast...maybe someday when i'm really strapped for entertainment i'll listen to it

Rlan

Poor, poor Shawn Elliott being followed and having to sign shit for kids. Fuck man, if you want something from him, chat with the dude. None of this "sign my EGM which you weren't involved with" garbage :lol

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Egad! I didn't realize the P1P guys were such shadowy, mysterious figures here. I apologize if I've shattered their aura of intrigue with the wanton use of my soul-taking magic picture box.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ToastyFrog said:
Egad! I didn't realize the P1P guys were such shadowy, mysterious figures here. I apologize if I've shattered their aura of intrigue with the wanton use of my soul-taking magic picture box.
Holy shit.

SuperPac

Edit: I just realized that I accidentally posted this with CJ's account. This is Phil. That's what I get for using his computer and forgetting to sign him out of the forum.

Thanks for the good words everyone. I'm glad that you're enjoying the show. CJ worked pretty hard to crank the show out and get it online as fast as he did.

SickBoy said:
Wow, Greg looks nothing at all like what I expected. Thanks to what I assume is camera magic, Phil looks much taller than I'd expect.

Also through what I'm hoping is camera magic, it looks like Greg's got a stump on his right arm. And if you look quickly, really weird hair (but it's just the curtains through the spaces between his headset and head... I'm pretty sure).
I think this is the first time someone called me tall. I'm only 5' 6", though, so it may be a camera trick. Unless, of course, you were led to believe that I was, like, 4' 9" after all of the short jokes cracked on the show.

Speaking of, Greg does indeed have both hands. I think he's just got his wrist bent back in that picture. And his head is shaved, so you're definitely seeing curtain through the headset.

lawblob said:
I love your Mega Man shirt, Phil.
Thanks. I almost hate to admit that I found it at Hot Topic. I know, I know, but at least it doesn't have some stupid "Don't make me go Zelda on you"-esque phrase on it.

ToastyFrog said:
I think the shock comes from the fact that we're not a particularly good looking bunch.

Fuck, that is a long podcast. I still havent finished the Giant bomb cast from yesterday, and I am also downloading a 2 hour Braid podcast. That is like 6 hours of podcast to listen to.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Total PAX Podcast domination. That was the sound of Player One walking over every other podcast's ass.

No_Style

This was my second Player One podcast. I am ashamed for not putting this in my regular rotation. Still listening.

Brak

What's the story behind the picture anyways? Is there going to be a Player1/Retronauts crossover?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Brak said:
What's the story behind the picture anyways? Is there going to be a Player1/Retronauts crossover?

Retronauts Dreamcast Episode has two segements, one with Tycho and Kobun, one with Player One peeps.

Retronautical!

Brak

McBacon said:
Retronauts Dreamcast Episode has two segements, one with Tycho and Kobun, one with Player One peeps.

Retronautical!
That should be excellent. I love the Penny-Arcade podcasts too, so it will be cool to hear Tycho talking with the Retronauts crew.

Top Bottom