• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Armaly

Been testing and still haven't come up with anything concrete. Is it better to carry a red health lvl 3 vest or a fresh lvl 1?

thejpfin

I still watch him from time to time, but I've definitely switched over to TSM_Viss and joshOG for laid-back, chill and friendly streams.
I've pretty much completely stopped watching Doc, currently I prefer chill pubg streamers like: anthony_kongphan, lolRenaynay and iijeriichoii.

Why would be being a character influence in anything? Like, it's literally irrelevant. You can't do whatever the fuck you want because you're "just playing a character".
Agree, Imo "just playing a character" is the new "It's just a prank, bro!" case.

While he is playing character, I have feeling some of his followers don't get that.
All the crazy hate mail that PU got recently was from Doc fans, does that harassment also go to category "he was just playing a character, so is fine"? I don't think so.

Jobbs

Banned
Been testing and still haven't come up with anything concrete. Is it better to carry a red health lvl 3 vest or a fresh lvl 1?

From what I understand it'll offer the same protection regardless of how damaged it is until it is fully damaged, at which point it is destroyed.

Woo-Fu

Banned
While he is playing character, I have feeling some of his followers don't get that.
All the crazy hate mail that PU got recently was from Doc fans, does that harassment also go to category "he was just playing a character, so is fine"? I don't think so.

The doc fans weren't playing a character. Umm, duh? Amazing how far people are going in attempts to turn a molehill into a mountain. Going to be a rough life going through it without a sense of humor and/or proportion.

smoothj

This game runs like crap on my i5 4770k 8gb ram and r9 280x with a 500gb Samsung evo ssd.

Running on very low is barely playable. Should this be normal?

I really want to enjoy this game but 15-20fps on very low(if I'm lucky) is super lame i have to hide if I want to survive in game.

All drivers up to date and configured right.. shit is hella weak.

SZips

Be careful. If you don't get the inside joke that will invalidate your opinion in their eyes.

I swear though. They think people are morons who don't get the joke. We fucking get it. I've watched at least 20 hours of his streams. There are clearly lines when you are playing a character though. Especially in your responses to the criticism. Do you ignore it, use your real life persona to apologize? Or do you double down and encourage the idiots in your community? There are donations the doc won't read. He obviously has some sort of line. Where he chooses to go over is very telling. If you think all of his responses have been in character you are real gullible. It's a really poor character if it just sounds like some modern gamer dude a little annoyed with triggering people who is happy to read safe space jokes after the fact. I don't think that fits the character of the Doc at all and yet somehow there it is.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I haven't cared enough to watch any more than a handful of clips with that guy. What I saw, I didn't like nor care for.

Cat Party

I get tired of Doc's rants against the game (that he is making insane money off of) but then they put the motorcycle overlay on and crank the synthwave and I'm back in.

OraleeWey

This game runs like crap on my i5 4770k 8gb ram and r9 280x with a 500gb Samsung evo ssd.

I really want to enjoy this game but 15-20fps on very low(if I'm lucky) is super lame i have to hide if I want to survive in game.

Raise the settings you're putting all the load on the CPU

Blizzard

Banned
Raise the settings you're putting all the load on the CPU
I don't think that's strictly true unless view distance and AA hit the CPU hard. I think those are the only ones I have above very low and I get 50-70 fps with ye olde I5 3570k.

But I have a 2GB GTX 770.

Rogan

Banned

Nah, its very common.

My 1070gtx and i7 7700K won't get me 60fps. Usually its around 40/50 running on very low.

Its unplayable for me, it feels like 20 fps to be honest.

it does sound odd

My Graphics card is about 4 years ago(A GTX 760) and my CPU is an AMD Phenom Black 2(7 years old) and on all low settings, the game gets a good 60ish fps. Just you know, everythings low.

23qwerty

Do you run everything on low?

When I mean I run everything on Low, I run it all on low >_< I also can't have any other applications open or it does end up lagging my game. Other than that, buttery smooth.

yep aside from textures and anti aliasing but i can't imagine the 1080 having issues with that or that being cpu limited

Jibbed

Fuck me, GAF. I've just had the game of my life.

Loadout:
- SCAR with Holo, QD mag, flash hider
- Kar98k with 8x scope
- Fuck loads of ammo, Red Bull and painkillers

Couldn't sleep so I joined an NA server. Maybe I should play with you American folks more often...

yR5YKVi.jpg

So playing yesterday, and I experienced several games where my whole PC just hung mid game. Mouse would still move, could access task manager, but clicking on chrome/other programs would elicit no response.

After about a minute, it would recover - my character, despite being frozen on my screen, had continued running in game and the message "network lag detected" appeared briefly, before returning to normal.

Is this the game? Or the PC?

(I've recently upgraded to a 1060, but I've had no issues for weeks prior to last night)

yep aside from textures and anti aliasing but i can't imagine the 1080 having issues with that or that being cpu limited

Hrm. I also haven't updated my nvidia driver in years(It's version 347.25, whilst the current version is at 384..)

maybe that has something to do with it.

So playing yesterday, and I experienced several games where my whole PC just hung mid game. Mouse would still move, could access task manager, but clicking on chrome/other programs would elicit no response.

After about a minute, it would recover - my character, despite being frozen on my screen, had continued running in game and the message "network lag detected" appeared briefly, before returning to normal.

Is this the game? Or the PC?

(I've recently upgraded to a 1060, but I've had no issues for weeks prior to last night)

My wife has a similar problem with a similar card. This game is seriously flaky in the performance department.

It's one of the first games that I can't seem to troubleshoot past.

My wife has a similar problem with a similar card. This game is seriously flaky in the performance department.

It's one of the first games that I can't seem to troubleshoot past.

Very strange. I also messed about trying to setup my Elite controller last night, and it wasn't great - tried to go back to M/KB and the game refused to allow me to assign F and Alt Left to their usual settings. Had to delete the relevant *.ini file in the game files to get it all working again.

Grassy

Nah, its very common.

My 1070gtx and i7 7700K won't get me 60fps. Usually its around 40/50 running on very low.

Are you running it at 4K or something? With a 6700K, 980 Ti, 16GB DDR4 etc, and most settings on low or very low with textures on medium I average around ~90fps at 1440p.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, its very common.

Change to a different window mode/ try fullscreen. That should do the trick

Wardancer

Neo Member

Unless the lvl 3 is at less than some 50-100 health its gonna be way better than a lvl 1. And even then its a bit off a toss up because the lvl 3 will make you survive a AWP shot to the chest which a lvl 1 never does. You will just be without armour after that.

Edit: https://pubg.me/items/equipment take a look here, lvl 1 vests block 30% damage and a lvl 3 will block 55%. So even a heavily damaged lvl 3 will let you win a face to face fight that the lvl 1 wouldnt. You just need to be able to steal a new one after that.

jediyoshi

Nah, its very common.

On low? Sounds like something on your end. My 7600k gtx 970 holds up much better at these settings

oAgDRe4.png

Rogan

Banned
Åesop;243975837 said:
Change to a different window mode/ try fullscreen. That should do the trick
Jup. This was it lmao, never thought of this.

It runs so smooth and buttery now, like a whole new game.

See ya guys :D

Wardancer

Neo Member
Fuck me, GAF. I've just had the game of my life.

Loadout:
- SCAR with Holo, QD mag, flash hider
- Kar98k with 8x scope
- Fuck loads of ammo, Red Bull and painkillers

Couldn't sleep so I joined an NA server. Maybe I should play with you American folks more often...

The game has some form of skill matching so if you join another region you are playing against the newbies, a lot of people switch to NA from EU or vice versa and get truckloads of kills their first matches but it corrects itself :p

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Jup. This was it lmao, never thought of this.

It runs so smooth and buttery now, like a whole new game.

See ya guys :D

Just curious, which mode is it on now? I've noticed it might be a different one for certains setups

No, not normal - but the game is a bit more CPU and DISK heavy than other games, so if you aren't streaming or recording while playing, you can do better than that.

I have a weaker i5 3570k, similar hard drive, and it runs decently better than that. Never really below 30 and often 60. My GPU is much better, and I have twice the RAM, but that shouldn't matter much.

• Go out and close chrome if you have it open, in fact, close all other apps except discord or whatever you need. Check your tray, see what bullshit is running and using precious RAM.
  • Turn off steam overlay too, that'll buy you a frame or two.
  • AMD have any equivalent of NVIDIA shadowplay, turn that off first.
  • Most importantly, turn off Xbox game recording in Windows 10. If you previously turned it off but have since downloaded the creators update, i'll be back on, so turn it off again! (good ol' Microsoft).
  • Make sure you use fullscreen and not borderless windowed.
  • After that, settings tinker - maybe your settings are too low - bump textures especially to at least medium so it's forcing GPU. Get shadows to VERY LOW, shadows are CPU intensive. Bump/Test Low or Medium only when you've established you can handle it.

If it's not running much better after all that, something is wrong, did you build the machine yourself, using the fastest SATA port with a full speed cable? But I would say that Xbox game recorder is the likely culprit.

fanboi

Banned
What is the best graphics settings "to win" what I ment is, which should be high and which should be low to spot enemies?

Rogan

Banned
Åesop;243976518 said:
Just curious, which mode is it on now? I've noticed it might be a different one for certains setups

After switching from fullscreen windowed to fullscreen solved the problem was solved.

I still get a lot of crashes mid-game but this seems to be common.

I'm really enjoying the game now.

Forgot to mention my Dell U3415W has 3440x1440 as max.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Yeah I got a lot more smooth performance when switching to "real" fullscreen a while back, before I would have good framerate but it was extremely uneven and stuttered a lot. True fullscreen helped me a lot with that.

And like veryone else said, always close down webbbrowsers etc unless you have a monster CPU

Any good guides to figuring out where gun shots are coming from? I'm always doubting my senses and end up exposing myself to a sniper on my ass.

EDIT: I read the bit on the OP about bullet cracking and whizzing sounds but I'm not sure what I should be prioritizing hearing.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Any good guides to figuring out where gun shots are coming from? I'm always doubting my senses and end up exposing myself to a sniper on my ass.

To me there is nothing magical to it really, its just positional audio (stereo headphones), the important part is listening for the "near misses" to determine if they are shooting at you or not. You will very often hear gunfire that doesn't involve you at all but sounds close enough that it might. Gunfire AT you (except with the VSS) will always make the "swish" noise.

The best way to determine where someone is shooting from is to stop moving around, because if you keep turning around and around you will trick yourself into hearing the shots from all directions. So if you hear the swish noise of a close bullet, make a guess and find cover and try to not spin around too much until the next shot. BUT do not stand still, that just gives them an easy headshot.

But using Headphones is probably a good first step.

Edit: Checked that guide too and basically what i do is use the crach/wizz to see if they are shooting at me, but never really use them for direction. Unless silenced the gunshot noise is a lot easier to use to get a rough direction.

To me there is nothing magical to it really, its just positional audio (stereo headphones), the important part is listening for the "near misses" to determine if they are shooting at you or not. You will very often hear gunfire that doesn't involve you at all but sounds close enough that it might. Gunfire AT you (except with the VSS) will always make the "swish" noise.

The best way to determine where someone is shooting from is to stop moving around, because if you keep turning around and around you will trick yourself into hearing the shots from all directions. So if you hear the swish noise of a close bullet, make a guess and find cover and try to not spin around too much until the next shot. BUT do not stand still, that just gives them an easy headshot.

But using Headphones is probably a good first step.

Not turning around is a very good idea. I'm always doing panicked 360s when I'm getting shot at from afar. Good to know.

Top Bottom