• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Wardancer

Neo Member
Also the more you play the game the more you "know" the hotspots and use that together with the sound to locate the shooter. Which is useful but also dangerous because people are unreliable :p

Cc23830

This game runs like crap on my i5 4770k 8gb ram and r9 280x with a 500gb Samsung evo ssd.

Running on very low is barely playable. Should this be normal?

I really want to enjoy this game but 15-20fps on very low(if I'm lucky) is super lame i have to hide if I want to survive in game.

All drivers up to date and configured right.. shit is hella weak.

doesnt sound right. i have an i3 4150 and a gtx 745 but even i am hitting 50/60 fps on very low. and never drops below 50, 10 hours in.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
This game runs like crap on my i5 4770k 8gb ram and r9 280x with a 500gb Samsung evo ssd.
I really want to enjoy this game but 15-20fps on very low(if I'm lucky) is super lame i have to hide if I want to survive in game.

Same for you:
Åesop;243975837 said:
Change to a different window mode/ try fullscreen. That should do the trick

dapeel61

Neo Member
Nah, its very common.

My 1070gtx and i7 7700K won't get me 60fps. Usually its around 40/50 running on very low.

Its unplayable for me, it feels like 20 fps to be honest.

I have the same setup and I sit between 80 and 120 fps with all high settings most of the time. This definitely isn't right.

Dubz

Nah, its very common.

My 1070gtx and i7 7700K won't get me 60fps. Usually its around 40/50 running on very low.

Its unplayable for me, it feels like 20 fps to be honest.

What? I run a 1070 and a 4770k and get 75 FPS on medium with ultra view distance.

Venfayth

Locating shots: first sound you hear is the bullet whizzing past you or hitting you. Ignore it, it's almost useless. It's only useful in determining line of sight, i.e. If you get hit in your back, they can't possibly be in front of you.

The second sound you hear is a pop or crack, that is the shooter. The closer it is to the sound of the bullet, the closer the shooter is. This is the sound you need to locate. If it sounds directly ahead of behind you and you can't tell where it is, rotate slightly to the left or right and listen for the second shot. It is far easier to precisely locate a shooter if they aren't directly in front of or behind you.

The VSS or suppressed SMGs are impossible to locate beyond 100 meters (one small square on the map). No gun in the game makes a sound that travels greater than a kilometer (one large square on the map). Gunshots that come from inside a building sound different than gunshots coming from the open.

Every gun sounds unique, eventually you can learn what kinds of fights are happening from 200m away. A person with a Kar98k and a person with an AKM are both firing. A moment later the shots stop and you see that someone was killed by a Kar98k. This tells you there is an active sniper where you heard those shots, and probably has an extra body of loot.

From there it's practice. Locate the general direction and then focus on positions that you would fire from. Behind rocks, trees, halfwalls, on roofs with cover, etc.

wonderpug

Neo Member
You left out the 'crack' sound of a bullet passing nearby at supersonic speed. If you hear that, the shooter will be along a line perpendicular to a line from you to where you heard the supersonic crack.

watership

Finally had my first win. A crazy long 8 player sniper battle with the last guy leaving cover the second I just happened to scope in a random direction.

Felt real good.

Then the next 5 games I died almost after hitting the ground. :D I love it.

Venfayth

You left out the 'crack' sound of a bullet passing nearby at supersonic speed. If you hear that, the shooter will be along a line perpendicular to a line from you to where you heard the supersonic crack.

That's what I meant by the second sound. I guess I called it a pop or so. That's the muzzle blast, and where the shooter is.

Lupercal

Banned
Sometimes random loot really sucks.
I drop very far off the plane's route (2 squares) and starting looting warehouses. Find a bunch of mods and backpacks, no guns.
Suddenly one other guy who also dropped there, starts taking shots with his silenced SKS.
Didn't last long after that.

Wardancer

Neo Member
That's what I meant by the second sound. I guess I called it a pop or so. That's the muzzle blast, and where the shooter is.

No he meant the second sound as the bullet wizz past you, there are 2 sounds, the wizz and the crack. But i agree with you, ignore them for determining position, its too complicated and not needed unless the shooter is using a silencer. The crack is just another sound to determine if they are shooting at you because that means its very close.

Daffy Duck

I had such a bad game with loot yesterday had nothing but an Uzi and 30 bullets for my M16, but managed to make it to the top 3, circle was small and I made a rookie mistake and got wasted by a guy lying down with a shotgun.

wonderpug

Neo Member
No he meant the second sound as the bullet wizz past you, there are 2 sounds, the wizz and the crack. But i agree with you, ignore them for determining position, its too complicated and not needed unless the shooter is using a silencer. The crack is just another sound to determine if they are shooting at you because that means its very close.

I was under the impression you could hear either the whizz or the crack, but not both. Both sounds come from the bullet itself, so I thought you'd hear a whizz if it was subsonic and a crack if it was supersonic.

edit: from the horse's mouth

Gunshot Sound

Each gunshot sound you hear in game has propagation delay based on distance between source and the listener
The propagation velocity is 340m/s so if a pistol is shot 340m away from the listener, he will see the muzzle flash first and hear the gunshot after 1 second
If gunshot is fired from indoor or there is no direct or approximate line of sight (obstructed), the reverb effect and LPF are applied to the sound effect
Bullet Crack/Whizz Effect

Bullet crack effect (or bullet bow shockwave) is generated when a supersonic projectile passes in close proximity to the listener. The effect can be heard in a closest point on bullet trajectory line.
Basically, the sound source is always perpendicular to the trajectory line, so if you hear a bullet crack just in your left headphone, you know that the shooter is either directly in front of you, or behind you

(image)

Most of our weapons are supersonic. This means that you will hear the crack/whizz before you hear the actual gunshot
In a scenario where you see a shooter 1000m away, using AWM (>900m/s muzzle velocity) the events will occur in such order:

1. You see the muzzle flash
2. After ~1 sec you hear the crack/whizz (assuming no air drag)
3. After ~3 sec you hear the gunshot

Bullets passing close to the player will generate a crack sound, the ones passing further away will only generate whizz effect
We blend between different sound samples based on distance (the maximum distance and attenuation characteristic is also affected by suppressor attachment). The close gunshot sounds louder and more clear than the distant one

In the current public build, all bullets generate a sound crack effect. We've changed this mechanic by adding a velocity check, so bullets travelling slower than speed of sound will not generate the crack effect but just whizz.

Lemonte

gtx 970. 4670k @ 4.3ghz 8gb ram ssd 1080p

I get 60-110fps all settings low except draw distance. In airplane fps is around 30.

Divius

I had a similar experience. Me and a guy landed at some isolated houses, he went into one, I went into the other. I emerge with a crossbow and he emerges with lvl 2 armor+helmet and a Scar-L. GG. Actually ended up rank #96 out of 96! They had never happened to me. Kind of amazing, I ain't even mad.

MUnited83

For you.
I drop very far off the plane's route (2 squares) and starting looting warehouses. Find a bunch of mods and backpacks, no guns.
Suddenly one other guy who also dropped there, starts taking shots with his silenced SKS.
Didn't last long after that.
I remember one time being able to drop at the school all by myself. Was pretty excited about it, then a massive disappointment set it when I found just a level 1 backpack, a shotgun with very few ammo, a level 1 vest and a few bandages, everything else being melee weapons or pistols.

I also find that dropping on the docks of Georgopol to best a complete waste of time on solo. Most of the time it has shit loot, and it's too highly contested. Not worth it.

I was under the impression you could hear either the whizz or the crack, but not both. Both sounds come from the bullet itself, so I thought you'd hear a whizz if it was subsonic and a crack if it was supersonic.

edit: from the horse's mouth

I think he just using bad terms. I think what he meant is the whizz, following by the sound of the bullet hitting something. If you hear a whizz following by the bullet hitting a wall behind you, you can reasonably determine the shot came from in front of you somewhere, even if there is no crack/thwump from the shooter.

jet1911

letsgovcyyv.png
Second solo win! Things get so tense at the end holy shit. :eek:

I just picked this up. I've played about 15 duo rounds with my cousin. Just won our first last night. The round before that we got #2. Seems like winning depends on your willingness to hide and let people kill each other off. I'd rather win than get more kills so it works for me, but I'm surprised how many folks go straight to death match mode as soon as the plane lets them.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I think he just using bad terms. I think what he meant is the whizz, following by the sound of the bullet hitting something. If you hear a whizz following by the bullet hitting a wall behind you, you can reasonably determine the shot came from in front of you somewhere, even if there is no crack/thwump from the shooter.

There where multiple people calling different sounds the same thing and I was wrong in that both the wizz and the crack of the bullet flying past you could be heard. Either way the wizz/crack shouldn't really be used to determine direction just how close to you the fire is because its more complicated. Just listen for the gun sounds and look for muzzleflashes, and stop spinning around like crazy when trying to determine direction.

I just picked this up. I've played about 15 duo rounds with m cousin. Just won our first last night. The round before that we got #2. Seems like winning depends on your willingness to hide and let people kill each other off. I'd rather win than get more kills so it works for me, but I'm surprised how many folks go straight to death match mode as soon as the plane lets them.

There is skill matching and a lot of people go for the action because they have played a lot of rounds and want to fight, OR they havent played a whole lot and just want to learn how to fight. Hiding will often get you far but will rarely result in a win if you cant close out the match.

jeffc919

Man, I'm so unclutch at this game. Got my 9th 2nd place finish last night. I'm now 1 for 10 when making the final 2 and 1 for 85 when making the top 10. At least I have that one win or I'd probably have snapped my keyboard in half by now.

I was using full screen exclusively but then I got tired of this shit freezing at lobby and forcing new to restart my PC cus I couldn't use task manager. Borderless for life.

Lupercal

Banned
For anyone curious, this gets me 60+ fps with all settings maxed at 1080p:

i7 7700k @ 4.7
16 gb ram
gtx 980 ti
game on normal hdd

At all times or ?

I get with my i7 4770K
16 gb ram
ssd
Gforce 780 OC

60+ aswell, but during firefights and busy scenes it can drop to 45-50.

Xyber

My first proper game (excluding the one I did last night just to get the settings right before I went to bed).

Screwed myself over by not looking to my right, I had one guy in my sights in front of me so I tried to move a little closer. But the other guy was prone next to a little rock on my right side when I moved up. :(
xHrNR2G.jpg

Wardancer

Neo Member
So far my best moment that i have recorded: molotovs are fun, this also lead to me a chicken dinner =)

Too bad I only recently turned on shadowplay so missed so much dumb shit... this game is just a hi-light generator heh.

JarrodL

Holy shit, I just played my first game and somehow managed to make it into the top 3! Only watched a couple youtube videos beforehand to check out basics.

I think I actually had a chance to win it, if I wasn't killed by the final blue wall shift - I didn't realize it kills you so fast in the end.

noomi

So far my best moment that i have recorded: molotovs are fun, this also lead to me a chicken dinner =)

Too bad I only recently turned on shadowplay so missed so much dumb shit... this game is just a hi-light generator heh.

Is this a clip from nvidia share? The quality looks great, mine never come out that nice. Would you mine sharing what settings you use for recording and perhaps what you use for editing? I have mine set @ 1080P 60FPS 50MBps which is the highest I can go.

Also nice moves there ;)

GodofWine

Since we're throwing out specs and performance:

G4560
1050ti
16GB 2400 RAM
Regular 7200 RPM HDD

55-70 FPS at 1080p - Settings mostly mixed/medium (effects on high, draw distance on high), foliage and shadows on low.

About 40 FPS on Q Island, 25 in the plane.

Poppy

we were near the ruins and no one was in sight, we decided to hold up in the church tower for a little bit

random dude comes without us hearing and throws a frag grenade in, we try to run, we get blown out the doorway and die from falling

welp

Mr Swine

Banned

That's odd, it runs fine on my system with most settings on ultra with my Ryzen 1600X and GTX970

Edit: will the developers add some form of soft ban to teammates that kill team mates? It's frustrating to play squad and 1 dude screws it all up by killing you

thinking about finally picking this up for myself, any one know of any sales or coupons?

Make an account at GMG, check the box to receive promotional emails, and buy something? I think making a purchase puts you into 'VIP' status and you should - eventually - get an offer for 19-27% off PUBG.

Or just buy it for full price. I did and it's been worth every penny.

Vipu

Banned
That's odd, it runs fine on my system with most settings on ultra with my Ryzen 1600X and GTX970

Edit: will the developers add some form of soft ban to teammates that kill team mates? It's frustrating to play squad and 1 dude screws it all up by killing you

You can report them with proof to forums and they get banned.

BillMurray

Neo Member
Just had two #2 finishes in a row just now. Made the schoolboy error of running towards my squad mate to try and revive him right at the end. 8 kills though in the last game which is my personal best by far and not a bad run for my 3 man squad.

Also, I bloody love the M416.

Got a headshot and kill on a guy through the stair banisters with a crossbow. Knew he was above looking down, quickly poked out scoped and THUNK, DEAD, through the tiniest gap.

I'm done, I've peaked.

Top Bottom