• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playfire Rewards Discussion Thread

Lomax

With the exception of Stealth Bastard Deluxe, my Playfire experience for the past month has consisted of activating keys from random bundles when the games appear (or installing a f2p game), playing them for 10 minutes to an hour depending on the quality, and collecting my .10 reward. The system does seem to be working pretty well at this point, but I do miss actually having achievements to work for.
No, I'm not going to try to play Gun Monkeys again.

radMonkey

With the exception of Stealth Bastard Deluxe, my Playfire experience for the past month has consisted of activating keys from random bundles when the games appear (or installing a f2p game), playing them for 10 minutes to an hour depending on the quality, and collecting my .10 reward. The system does seem to be working pretty well at this point, but I do miss actually having achievements to work for.
No, I'm not going to try to play Gun Monkeys again.

We were debating this in the office recently - I think Tom put something on the blog about it today. We wanted to know if people had the option, would they prefer if a game had say two achievements, or one achievement and a reward for playing for the first time.

Definitely would like to hear your thoughts.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
We were debating this in the office recently - I think Tom put something on the blog about it today. We wanted to know if people had the option, would they prefer if a game had say two achievements, or one achievement and a reward for playing for the first time.

If it's a choice between a play for the first time reward of 10p and an achievement for 10p then it may as well be the play for the first time reward, if the achievement reward is larger then I'd be happier with that. Nothing better than playing through a game and getting an achievement knowing it's added credit to your account, but if you can get the same result for just booting up the game then that's obviously going to be easier for everyone. Not as interesting, though.

I'd personally prefer the achievement one in case it's a game I've already played, although I suppose with that I'm running the risk of having already achieved it.

Vuze

I think first time and one achievement would be great. Gives incentive to fire up a game from the backlog and actually check it out to see if you like it and adds motivation to continue playing it if you do.

Lomax

Personally I'd like to see more achievement rewards for older games, especially ones you guys have on sale. Say something like Dishonored or Left 4 Dead, maybe do two achievements for it (and not have the play for the first time reward since people are more likely to have already played it) and maybe have the achievements be ones that are more unusual in terms of how you do them (not just in terms of difficulty).

I think for new release games having the "played for the first time" rewards is nice, and it's certainly better than nothing especially on random greenlight bundle trash. But I think we're all just adapting now to how the program went from tons and tons of constant rewards (especially during the Steam sale) to virtually nothing, it was a pretty big wall to hit.

For a new game? One achievement and play for the first time is fine. For an old game, you shouldn't really be punished for playing it, especially in the age of cards.

Overall, If things need to be cut back, I'd rather see rewards less frequently. Say a week and weekend set that are more like they used to be.

Daily just feels like a chore now. "What are these games? Do I want any? Nope."

Are the GTAV achievements as terrible as Rockstar achievements usually are?

Quite a few GTA online achievements. A few that require lots of collectibles. A few that require completing side quest chains (all rampages etc.). The game is really fun to play so you'll get quite a few as you go through it.

yoshizzle

I'd mix it up:

Newly released games - One achievement + reward for playing for the first time
Everything else - Two achievements

That way I wouldn't have to worry about playing my older games and missing out on any £0.10 first-time rewards ;)
I'm a cheapo!

yoshizzle

Playfire Rewards Special
Batman: Arkham Asylum - unlock Cryptic Investigator - £0.10
Batman: Arkham Asylum - unlock Just What The Doctors Ordered - £0.10
Batman: Arkham Asylum - unlock Rope-a-dope-a-dope - £0.10
Batman: Arkham Asylum - unlock Recurring Nightmare - £0.10
Batman: Arkham Asylum - unlock Bigger Bang - £0.10
Batman: Arkham Asylum - unlock Freeflow Perfection - £0.50

Batman: Arkham City - unlock Aggravated Assault - £0.10
Batman: Arkham City - unlock Flawless Freeflow Fighter 2.0 - £0.10
Batman: Arkham City - unlock Bomb Squad - £0.10
Batman: Arkham City - unlock Fully Loaded - £0.10
Batman: Arkham City - unlock Wrecking Ball - £0.10
Batman: Arkham City - unlock Genius - £0.50

Batman™: Arkham Origins - unlock Around the World - £0.10
Batman™: Arkham Origins - unlock Air Marathon - £0.10
Batman™: Arkham Origins - unlock Anyone see that? - £0.10
Batman™: Arkham Origins - unlock Tales of Gotham - £0.10
Batman™: Arkham Origins - unlock Let it Snow - £0.10
Batman™: Arkham Origins - unlock Legend of the Dark Knight - £0.50

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - unlock Arkham City Lockdown - £0.10
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - unlock Groundbreaking - £0.10
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - unlock Cosplay - £0.10
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - unlock Holy Knockout Batman! - £0.10
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - unlock The Caped Crusader - £0.10
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition - unlock Mini-Master - £0.50

Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - unlock All In a Day's Work - £0.10
Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - unlock Assassin in Disguise - £0.10
Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - unlock Not Your Normal Batman - £0.10
Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - unlock Who's Laughing Now? - £0.10
Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - unlock The More You Know... - £0.10
Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure - unlock Meet Bruce Wayne - £0.50

Vuze

Happy Wars, Velvet Sundown and Dark Blood Online are all free to play and have .10 first time rewards. Happy Wars also got an additional reward but I don't know how much you have to play to get it.

I cannot do this freeflow combo cheevo for Batman. Wtf.

I do all of his moves (bat grapple, takedown, Y+B takedown, A+X grab, cape stun, normal attack) all in one combo and I cannot tell what I am doing wrong.

Happy Wars, Velvet Sundown and Dark Blood Online are all free to play and have .10 first time rewards. Happy Wars also got an additional reward but I don't know how much you have to play to get it.

I think you need to complete 20 missions to unlock that achievement.

My batarang won't stun anyone in challenge mode. Do I need to quick tap when they're stunned already, or can they still block it and it will count?

You need the batarang upgrade for combos from the main game. This one:

SkCVsc9.jpg

Is GMG working fine for you guys?

I cant put anything into my basket, it says its still processing my order, which doesn't exist since I can't put anything in basket.

:/

So this thread just kind of died off huh?

Has anyone gotten credit for playing some of the new free to play games that have the first time played requirement? I tried a couple of them but it doesn't show up on the reward page. Are we supposed to 'own' (i.e. buy DLC) before it can work?

Kiru

Has anyone gotten credit for playing some of the new free to play games that have the first time played requirement? I tried a couple of them but it doesn't show up on the reward page. Are we supposed to 'own' (i.e. buy DLC) before it can work?
Some of them worked for me. 1 or 2 didn't. Maybe stay a bit longer ingame.

Well, there really is no incentive anymore. In the past you could get £0.95 for some games by just playing for an hour with good strategies, now barely any games have achievement rewards and the ones that do have less. I just idle new games I have to get the £0.1 every now and then. It was cool while it lasted, but it's also good to stop since I don't base my playtime around rewards any longer. I got more than enough money out of it.

For the F2P games: Some work for me, some don't. It seems random. I managed to get Face of Mankind, Velvet Sundown, Only If and Dark Blood. Happy Wars didn't register.

It died off because GMG curbed rewards since I'm sure a couple of people were bleeding them dry, either through SAM or just being super dedicated to the cause.

It's unfortunate but a long time coming (but at least I made my $40! Thank you backlog!)

I just hope they figure out something to make it easy on themselves and beneficial for customers to check back daily.

Lomax

I've gotten all the recent f2p games to give me credit, but they seem to show up a day slower than the rest of the rewards do. I did all of them for at least 15 minutes.

Steam is now set up with these new f2p games that you "own" them once you install them, they attach permanently to your account (which can be removed from your account page if you want to). You don't have to buy dlc or anything in game for that to happen, some of them don't even have the option to buy anything.

I've gotten all the recent f2p games to give me credit, but they seem to show up a day slower than the rest of the rewards do. I did all of them for at least 15 minutes.

Yea, that was it. The other ones I was missing showed up finally.

On a related note, I think the guy who ran the Steamlessness site is giving up on updating it as well. I believe he adds the games/eligible achievements manually but recently updates have been very slow. It used to be much faster.

Vuze

Murdered:SS cheevos are very easy btw. Basically just the first two sidemissions in the game, can be done in about 90mins if you're not using a guide at all.

Vuze

Verdict on Dead Island cheevos? I've never played it.

Need a hand? - Can be done within 5mins by creating a char and joining another players game
To put it bluntly - Kill 250 zombies w/ blunt weapons takes quite a bit of time
Karma-geddon - Kill 50 zombies w/ cards can be done rather quick, you get access to a car very early on
Hell in paradise - Beat Act I. Takes quite a bit of time.
First - Kill suicider w/ grenade. Can be done first at the very beginning of Act II.
School of hard knocks - Reach level 50. You probably don't want to do that, I completed the whole game with almost all sidequests and some grinding (~30h) and was about 45.

Need a hand? - Can be done within 5mins by creating a char and joining another players game
To put it bluntly - Kill 250 zombies w/ blunt weapons takes quite a bit of time
Karma-geddon - Kill 50 zombies w/ cards can be done rather quick, you get access to a car very early on
Hell in paradise - Beat Act I. Takes quite a bit of time.
First - Kill suicider w/ grenade. Can be done first at the very beginning of Act II.
School of hard knocks - Reach level 50. You probably don't want to do that, I completed the whole game with almost all sidequests and some grinding (~30h) and was about 45.

Yikes. Looks like I'm not gonna bother... tried to do the co-op one and the pos froze on me. Game feels like wading through mud.

Yikes. Looks like I'm not gonna bother... tried to do the co-op one and the pos froze on me. Game feels like wading through mud.

The Dead Island Helper patch greatly improves things, btw. But most of those achievements need actual playing of the game, instead of firing it up for a couple of hours.

I hope to be able to put all of the money gathered from my playfire rewards towards GTAV or Arkham Knight.

The Dead Island Helper patch greatly improves things, btw. But most of those achievements need actual playing of the game, instead of firing it up for a couple of hours.

I hope to be able to put all of the money gathered from my playfire rewards towards GTAV or Arkham Knight.

Still waiting for GTAV personally, got $41.05 to put at it.

Vuze

Yes, yes. I had massive problems setting it up as well. As Vandrar mentioned, Dead Island Helper greatly helps with stuff like FOV, bloom, shadow quality etc. but I never managed to fix the stuttering issue when using KB/M so I gave in and used a controller. Worked out just fine
except that the game decided to delete my first super rare weapon for no apparent reason. I was pissed to say the least

I hope Dead Island 2 will be less glitchy. But I'm confident Yager will be able to pull this off. Funny enough, the game is developed by a german studio but will probably be banned like Dead Island and DI: Riptide here lol

Also, GTAV for me provided it's a Steam key.

Lomax

Only took me about a half hour messing around in Guns and Robots to get the Para Bellum achievement, you can buy and sell stuff in the shop and each achievement before it gives you a gold reward you can use to do more buying, as does the tutorial. The free item purchases don't count for the achievements though.

zkylon

zkylewd
the achievement for battle islands is really easy to do and you can just spend all the currency to speed it up if you don't want to wait 2 hours.

took me like 30 minutes just alt tabbing during battles and following the tutorial

Labadal

The Expendabros game was actually fun. I've only played it for ten minutes, but I'll get my brother to try it out with me. Developed by the Broforce guys.

Top Bottom