• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playground likely making Forza Horizon 2, working on Xbox 1 game, starts mobile team

Feindflug

Hnnng dat open world racer feel. Microsoft needs to flesh out their IP roster with a quirky 3D platformer and I will be all set next gen.

They should add a character action game in there, Ninja Gaiden was a flagship xbox exclusive and now it's multiplatform and in the hands of Team Ninja Dog.

MS should've bought Valhalla Studios. :(

Back on topic Horizon 2 is great news since the first one was an amazing game, looking forward to see what Playground will do with the sequel.

Fox Mulder

I loved Horizon, but still miss TDU more. They were flawed games, but were very ambitious with environments and content. Horizon was smaller and had AI drivers to race against instead of real people.

I'd love to see what Horizon 2 can be though.

stop womping this thread guys

tumblr_m9s8mobuC31qdojzho1_500.gif

bj00rn_

Banned
The first game is one of the best Zen- and "just one more time"-games I've played this generation. Thus I just cannot wait for the sequel.

This is super fantastic. I would buy every Horizon game Playground makes without even looking at review scores. They totally nailed the balance between sim and arcade and good graphics. Not surprising considering the pedigree of the team. Forza is like PGR re-invented.

I have to say Gran Turismo has become a complete joke by comparison. It feels like I'm playing an Excel spreadsheet in the menus, and the environments are barf worthy. I just don't think Polyphony Digital has the talent to improve the franchise.

Fox Mulder

This is super fantastic. I would buy every Horizon game Playground makes without even looking at review scores. They totally nailed the balance between sim and arcade and good graphics. Not surprising considering the pedigree of the team. Forza is like PGR re-invented.

I have to say Gran Turismo has become a complete joke by comparison. It feels like I'm playing an Excel spreadsheet in the menus, and the environments are barf worthy. I just don't think Polyphony Digital has the talent to improve the franchise.

I don't think Gran Turismo is a joke, there's still something cool about the level of crazy detail GT goes for. Still, it went from a franchise I enjoyed to something I haven't even bothered to buy a ps3 for. GT5 nearly sold what the entire Forza franchise has to date, but I was perfectly happy buying Forza instead while it took them 5 years to release GT5.

Xav

Forza Horizon was cool, I enjoyed it but I don't know how much more Forza I can take. There's already been six games released since 2005, I think I'm starting to get burnt out on the series by now.

Speaking of burning out, what the fuck are you waiting for Criterion?

SuperSah

Banned
Didn't like Forza Horizon.

I prefer the more "realistic" Forza 4. I'm just not a fan of the street racing stuff.

Hindle

Banned
Maybe they will release Horizon 2 next year and PGR 5 in 2015? I'm confident a PGR will happen at some point.

nikos

Open world driving games ( especially those with more realistic physics) are on the top of my list.

I really enjoyed F:H but honestly preferred TDU2 over it ( the physics were worse no doubt, but the location, car list, actual off roading, no barriers and the MMO aspect were awesome to me)

If this could be like TDU but improved physics and such, day 1 when it releases.

Agree 100%. This might also convince me to pull the trigger on an XBone.

I have a feeling most/all open world racing games will have TDU/MMO style multiplayer next gen, just like The Crew.

saladine1

Maybe they will release Horizon 2 next year and PGR 5 in 2015? I'm confident a PGR will happen at some point.

Well, Greenawalt has recently stated that Forza will be a yearly occurrence.
Forza Motorsport one year and Forza Horizon the year after that.

PGR is dead.

Mascot

Yep, 30fps is done really well in Horizon..

Yes. What idiots would possibly want 60fps from a next-gen racing game? There's no point to it whatsoever when 30fps has already been proven to be OK, adequate, sufficient and "not bad". I say ALL next-gen games should run at 30fps, even those that are already running at 60fps. Nobody can tell the difference anyway so developers are just wasting their resources. 30fps would allow game development to be completed in half the time and games would cost half as much to make. The savings could then be passed on to us totally sane non-delusional consumers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yes. What idiots would possibly want 60fps from a next-gen racing game? There's no point to it whatsoever when 30fps has already been proven to be OK, adequate, sufficient and "not bad". I say ALL next-gen games should run at 30fps, even those that are already running at 60fps. Nobody can tell the difference anyway so developers are just wasting their resources. 30fps would allow game development to be completed in half the time and games would cost half as much to make. The savings could then be passed on to us totally sane non-delusional consumers.

I'm waiting for those grilling Drive Club to come in here because FH was very impressive and no less fun at 30fps.

PGR is dead.

To be fair (and I'm a huge PGR fan) I think PGR is irrelevant. The later installments really started to focus on simulation mechanics, (not to mention the dyno testing for sound, realistic cockpit view etc, all of which Forza took on board). You can get pretty much the same experience with Forza using assists (the Prague city track is surely T10's nod to the franchise), minus the Kudos system but really there's not enough between them to warrant having both on the market with such high budgets.

I agree we'll never see a another PGR game but that's ok, we have Forza Horizon now, an arguably more exciting game with lot's of potential.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

oh boy.

Hindle

Banned

PGR is dead.

It's likely you're right, Forza is gaining momentum and will only get bigger, but I still feel confident PGR will happen.

Hip Hop

Hope this is sarcasm. Please be sarcasm.

i just hope its easier to switch cars in FH2.

ftfy

That's what I mean't. I was referring to keeping the 60fps from Forza 5 for the sequel, since it will obviously be borrowing it's assets.

As much as I loved Horizon, I can't help but think the game would of been twice as good in 60 FPS, I really noticed the drop even though they done an outstanding job locking the framerate to 30 FPS, the handling still suffered because of it.

I think if Microsoft are prepared to make the next Halo game 60FPS then I think there's a good chance we'll see that for Horizon 2 also.

c0de

Horizon needed more sales. It was a lot of fun and even had daytime-change! So Horizon 2 perhaps could add some weather...

jokes aside, I am really looking forward for a second Horizon, the game was a *lot* of fun!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
That's what I mean't. I was referring to keeping the 60fps from Forza 5 for the sequel, since it will obviously be borrowing it's assets.

As much as I loved Horizon, I can't help but think the game would of been twice as good in 60 FPS, I really noticed the drop even though they done an outstanding job locking the framerate to 30 FPS, the handling still suffered because of it.

I think if Microsoft are prepared to make the next Halo game 60FPS then I think there's a good chance we'll see that for Horizon 2 also.

I C

i too am really hoping for 60 fps. the other day i played an extended amount of horizon then switched to fm4 and the difference in visuals and movement was astounding. 30 fps is far inferior for this genre. also, while i'm comparing the two, FH while jaggy free, looks very muddy compared to the really sharp (and slightly jaggy) FM4, which again i preferred.

30 fps in a racer isnt a deal breaker, but its certainly not ideal.

I C

i too am really hoping for 60 fps. the other day i played an extended amount of horizon then switched to fm4 and the difference in visuals and movement was astounding. 30 fps is far inferior for this genre. also, while i'm comparing the two, FH while jaggy free, looks very muddy compared to the really sharp (and slightly jaggy) FM4, which again i preferred.

30 fps in a racer isnt a deal breaker, but its certainly not ideal.

Yeah it really is, going back and forth between FM4 and Horizon is pretty crazy and the AA was over the top yeah. I guess it's a trade off between detail and framerate. What do you think the chances are PG can roll out a next-gen 1080p60 Forza Horizon that is open world with a similar level of detail to FM5 with dynamic day/night cycle and possibly weather? Is that maybe asking too much?

Dramos

If Playground can continue to provide that street free roaming car game with that Forza feel, Horizon can just be the new PGR series. Just add bikes, kudos, challenge sets and urban areas.

Horizon is one of my favorite racing games, I'd love to see what they could do with a second iteration on next gen hardware. I was perfectly fine with it being 30fps on the 360, but I hope they shoot for 60 on the XB1.

30fps is fine. I didn't even know it was 30 until someone mentioned it on here. It has a great sense of speed. One thing I want them to do is expand on locales, throw in some rallying as well as some endurance races that span the entirety of the map.

I hope they leave endurance races out. One of the reasons I love this game so much, is that everything is very much geared to fast pick up & play and no long slogs. Leave endurance races for the traditional Forza games, FH should continue on its own PGR-influenced path.

Unless you meant a single lap across the map? That, I'd be cool with.

Jhoan

Loved Forza Horizon way more than the mainline series. I'm happy to see that a sequel is in development. Color me interested.

I hope they leave endurance races out. One of the reasons I love this game so much, is that everything is very much geared to fast pick up & play and no long slogs.

This is the opposite reaction I got from playing the demo. Driving to a location to start a race bored the crap out of me. I just want to jump into a race. I've been hesitant to pick up the full retail version due to this. Although it was my first open world racer, it's probably just not for me.

derFeef

Oh man this is going to look sweet, and play for sure. I hope they tune down some of the festival/douchy stuff a bit.

Top Bottom