• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Playing Child of Eden with Kinect is like being a Jedi... hold on while I cry"

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/06/sob-story-why-ill-be-playing-child-of-eden-with-kinect/

It seemed like a fine idea for a feature.

Armed with a early preview disc for Ubisoft's upcoming Child of Eden, I would compare the game's two methods of control, the good old-fashioned thumbstick and buttons and the newfangled Kinect method. Then, when comparing the scores for both, I'd have a pretty good idea of which method is superior.

So what was the problem? The fly in the ointment? ... Well, see, one of the methods made me cry.

I'll admit that I had to literally wipe some dust from my Kinect before I started up this spiritual successor to Rez, but before the opening strains of the first level, "Matrix," had ended, I was reminded of how much promise the camera has.

As I hurdled down a tunnel of light, pulsating music urging me on, I'd wave my hand over enemies and ... OK, I'm getting ahead of myself. At the very start what actually happened is that I sort of spun around for a while and had to fight to get my view back on anything worth shooting.

The disorienting thing is that both the camera and the reticle are tied to the motions of your hand and until you get that into your skull (it didn't take me more than a minute) you're going to be staring off into space a lot.

Once you learn to wrangle the camera, you have two weapons at your disposal: On your right hand, a lock-on missile barrage capable of targeting eight enemies at once and, on your left, a rapid fire laser that destroys whatever you wave at. While the targeted missile strikes require you to flick your hand forward, the left-hand laser is always firing.

While the missiles are more powerful and therefore your primary weapon, the laser is the only thing capable of bringing down enemy projectiles. Here's the way that typically plays out: You wave your hand over a group of enemies, destroy them with a very "Force Push"-like move and then eliminate some enemy fire in such an authoritative way, it's hard to not to (appropriately enough, considering the level's title) feel like Neo. What I'm saying is that playing Child of Eden with Kinect is like being a Jedi and The One simultaneously. (And yes, for those wondering, it's perennially 1999 in my noggin'. Sorry.)

So many video games are power fantasies, but when the barrier of the controller is removed, it's hard not to let this one go to your head. But the impact of using the Kinect is about more than gameplay. Standing up, likely even closer to the screen than you'd normally sit, you're immersed even deeper into Child of Eden's neon synaesthesia.

I was reminded of how much promise the Kinect has.

Eden's threadbare "save the girl" central objective couldn't be more tired, but something about how immersed I was in that world short-circuited my cynicism. At the end of "Matrix," I saw my charge, Lumi, and flailed desperately as I tried to free her from her crystalline prison. The music was swelling to a crescendo and I was literally doing everything I could physically to save a girl that, for the moment, was the only other person in the universe. And then, just for a second, right there in my living room, I teared up. Maybe it was emotion of the moment, maybe it the depressing realization that all the flailing had actually left me pretty winded. Either way, it happened.

Next, I tried the controller. It was fun.

As several more hours of testing would prove, my scores were fairly even between the two control methods, but my experiences could not have been more disparate. With Kinect, this is synthetic tourism, a 10-minute trip into a gorgeous, abstract world where you're the most powerful being in existence.

With a controller, Child of Eden is a video game.

I'm skeptical about the crying part, but I don't doubt Kinect is the best way to play Child of Eden. Anybody who "gets" Rez and Mizuguchi's vision is compromising the sensibility of the experience by playing it any other way. I still need to figure out how to strap 4 XBox 360 controllers to my body but luckily...

wp9BC.png

June 14th.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
At the end of "Matrix," I saw my charge, Lumi, and flailed desperately as I tried to free her from her crystalline prison. The music was swelling to a crescendo and I was literally doing everything I could physically to save a girl that, for the moment, was the only other person in the universe. And then, just for a second, right there in my living room, I teared up.
Bwahahahaha!

Sounds like a great game, but impressions like these always make me laugh for some reason. I can totally see this guy flapping about in front of Kinect with tears in his eyes.

FrankT

With Kinect, this is synthetic tourism, a 10-minute trip into a gorgeous, abstract world where you're the most powerful being in existence.

With a controller, Child of Eden is a video game.

But Destructoid. Next Kinect must have.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh Joystiq, hyperbole much?

Anyway, glad I was able to score a very cheap Kinect recently. I'll be able to try it out with Kinect but I'll probably use the controller for replays.

DSN2K

what a pretentious article lol.

'With a controller, Child of Eden is a video game.'

and thats a bad thing ? right.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Terrible article but it does sound like a really interesting experience. I'd like to try it with Natal someday but for now alls I can play is the regular version.

ghostmind

I'm glad he only teared up for a second, lest we think he was effeminate. I'm sure he manned-up right after and finished the fight.

I'm looking forward to this game, but this article is ridiculous.

DSN2K said:
what a pretentious article lol.

'With a controller, Child of Eden is a video game.'

and thats a bad thing ? right.

This is the guy who couldn't find the giant red X on the map in Nier for his fishing quest, so I guess it is bad for him.

Doodis

Snuggler said:
Terrible article but it does sound like a really interesting experience. I'd like to try it with Natal someday but for now alls I can play is the regular version.
Sadly, Natal never made it out of codename phase. But you may consider trying it with Kinect.

FiRez

I liked the article, it could be more elaborated but it worked for me because I'm more than hyped now :D

article makes it sound like it'd be even better with the Move. This way you don't have to stand up and have your arms in the air the whole time.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'd rather play a videogame instead of flail around like a weepy manbaby. Controller it is then.

JaggedSac

Mockingbird said:
article makes it sound like it'd be even better with the Move. This way you don't have to stand up and have your arms in the air the whole time.

I think that is what he liked about it.

Zeal

Banned
What counts as gaming journalism nowadays is almost comical. This is honestly not written well and the level of exagiration used here is ridiculous.

Will play it with a controller.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
I was literally doing everything I could physically to save a girl that, for the moment, was the only other person in the universe. And then, just for a second, right there in my living room, I teared up.

lol wtf is this shit.

Synth_floyd said:
LOL he's saying with Kinect it's an amazing experience but with the controller it's just a video game.
Wow, really? Thanks, Captain Obvious, I never could've guessed from reading the OP! :p

Phloxy

Uhh more like, being the man at hitting the pause button by accident every 5 minutes. And that's from watching them demo it at PaxEast.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow. This article... lol

Some of the articles I've seen say the Kinect is fun, but playing with the controller actually lets you get into the game more because of the rumble. Thus, it lets you time the Octo-shot better for higher points.

RedStep

You guys read like someone trying to justify playing Guitar Hero with a controller instead of a guitar.

Obviously, the experience was new and emotionally engaging to the dude. He may be a bit florid about the whole thing, but isn't the developer's goal to inspire exactly that kind of reaction? It looks like Mizuguchi succeeded and those that buy in have a pretty unique experience ahead of them.

RedStep said:
You guys read like someone trying to justify playing Guitar Hero with a controller instead of a guitar.

Obviously, the experience was new and emotionally engaging to the dude. He may be a bit florid about the whole thing, but isn't the developer's goal to inspire exactly that kind of reaction? It looks like Mizuguchi succeeded and those that buy in have a pretty unique experience ahead of them.

it was the ridiculous hyperbole and condescending tone that's probably pissing everyone off.

with a controller it just plays "like a videogame" /smug

I used to read joystiq a lot, this guy is always doing boneheaded things.

E-DuB

At first I thought the quote was straight from the one and only James Mielke. Alas I was wrong. I'll give this a run at my buddies place when it launches and will most likely rave about it in the OT.

Tain

the whole artgame movement has been saying that videogames suck for years now, where have y'all been

IrishNinja

Ickman3400 said:
This is the guy who couldn't find the giant red X on the map in Nier for his fishing quest, so I guess it is bad for him.

ah, forgot about that! opinion disregarded.

RedStep said:

You just fell for his hyperbolic trickery

When is this hitting again? I want to pick it up one way or another. I haven't bought a Kinect yet but this and a good E3 could make me jump in.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ToyMachine228 said:
When is this hitting again? I want to pick it up one way or another. I haven't bought a Kinect yet but this and a good E3 could make me jump in.

Not reading the OP is a bannable offense, lol

Top Bottom