• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Playing Child of Eden with Kinect is like being a Jedi... hold on while I cry"

GhaleonQ

I AM JOHN! said:
And that kind of statement still has value. It might not be the deepest level of criticism, but talking about how this experience ties into the synesthesia Miz always goes for in a way that a controller can't is still looking at something beyond the top level analysis most writers do. It's no less criticism than anything Nathan Rabin has ever written (though obviously nowhere near his quality of writing or analysis since hey, this is still Joystiq we're talking about here, let's not go crazy!).

I agree that his actual preview is more nuanced than the original post highlighting/title suggests and that, in previews, he is explaining an experience that a lot of people might have. I disagree that it amounts to a critical sentiment, especially because he's quite dismissive of the other play method, a way a lot of people will experience it (and what's arguably the "objective" way of playing it).

szaromir said:
Yet plenty of GAFfers did just that.

Regard;ess, is The One some kind of cult movie? I remember such movie with Jet Li (?), but I don't remember story or any other details - entirely forgettable.
matrix, doofus.

szaromir

Banned
Tain said:
I don't doubt it. I'm not sure where you're going with this Kojima thing.
Just that crying while playing video games is ridiculous. Singling out Mizuguchi's titles doesn't make sense.

Tain

okenny said:
shidoshi said:
Pretty much, yeah.

I don't know if it helps at all, but I should clarify that when I talk about "his opinion", I'm not talking about his stance that the game is better with Kinect. I'm talking about the ludicrous, disrespectful, and incredibly offensive claim that Child of Eden (with Kinect) is somehow "more" than a video game.

szaromir said:
Just that crying while playing video games is ridiculous. Singling out Mizuguchi's titles doesn't make sense.

I guess it's because I'd be a little more lax when it comes to narrative-oriented cutscene-stuffed games rather than interactive light shows, but you're right; it's pretty hilarious either way.

Jarmel

Banned
RedStep said:
You guys read like someone trying to justify playing Guitar Hero with a controller instead of a guitar.

Obviously, the experience was new and emotionally engaging to the dude. He may be a bit florid about the whole thing, but isn't the developer's goal to inspire exactly that kind of reaction? It looks like Mizuguchi succeeded and those that buy in have a pretty unique experience ahead of them.

This about sums it up. Sounds like he had a blast with Kinect for once.

Tain said:
I guess it's because I'd be a little more lax when it comes to narrative-oriented cutscene-stuffed games rather than interactive light shows, but you're right; it's pretty hilarious either way.

True, crying to Sonic the Hedgehog dying would make more sense.

Seriously though, Rez was probably the most beautiful and most fulfilling audio-visual experience I've ever had playing a video game. It's not much of a stretch for me to imagine someone being overwhelmed by its spiritual successor.

okenny

Banned
Tain said:
I don't know if it helps at all, but I should clarify that when I talk about "his opinion", I'm not talking about his stance that the game is better with Kinect. I'm talking about the ludicrous, disrespectful, and incredibly offensive claim that Child of Eden (with Kinect) is somehow "more" than a video game.

I suppose you don't think that you're be ridiculous yourself but such a vitriol reaction to someone's impressions makes you come off a little offensive; actually, a lot. I'm not sure what you're motivations for hating (not really a strong word as it describes you perfectly and maybe not even enough) the idea Justin could make such realizations with his experience with... Kinect seems to set you off. I love controllers myself and I have a Kinect. His words motivate me to see if I can have such an experience and thus I will buy CoE and play it both ways and draw my own conclusion. To holds one disdain and make a rational, calm and informed judgment at even the peril of one's own dogma without fear is sane and a failure to do so is simply insane.

GABDEG

Reminds me of one of those crappy old Pitchfork reviews.
The experience and emotions tied to listening to Kid A are like witnessing the stillborn birth of a child while simultaneously having the opportunity to see her play in the afterlife on Imax

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Jesus, the amount of snapping at the (surprisingly) well written article just because it's saying something you don't want to hear. Grow up, folks.
Which is what exactly?

Tain

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

Yeah, you're right. There was no reason to specify.

okenny said:
I'm not sure what you're motivations for hating [...] the idea Justin could make such realizations with his experience with... Kinect seems to set you off.

Again, my disgust isn't related to the Kinect. If his entire account was about Rez and he claimed that it was something more than a video game, I'd be similarly offended. I really like video games, so yes, claims like this set me off.

To holds one disdain and make a rational, calm and informed judgment at even the peril of one's own dogma without fear is sane and a failure to do so is simply insane.

It's insulting that you think my disdain will get in the way of making any sort of rational judgment.

Freshmaker said:
Which is what exactly?

That playing with Kinect provides a better experience than playing with a controller.

Tain said:
Again, my disgust isn't related to the Kinect. If his entire account was about Rez and he claimed that it was something more than a video game, I'd be similarly offended. I really like video games, so yes, claims like this set me off.

He was just saying that the experience was more immersive and involving than what you normally get in video games, of course he didn't really mean it was not a video game. What would it be, a lucid dream?

okenny

Banned
Tain said:
It's insulting that you think my disdain will get in the way of making any sort of rational judgment.

Sorry, I fell into hyperbole myself there so please allow me to pull back a little and say it just came off irrational to me perhaps only because I still have a hard time understanding the anger.

In the grand scheme of things I think we can both say since these are games, that there isn't much to get caught up in a twist over. Still, when I read Justin's accounts and he point out that there's more to CoE than what we typically know to be games, it fills me with interest. I'd like to know more about this union between a device that has struggled to generate enough experience to identify its purpose and this albeit strange experience. I just don't see anything here that would generate anger. I certainly don't feel Justin was being pretentious or condescending on my hobby.

I guess that's I know to say on the matter. I don't want to waste your time since I fear I'm really close to making a cyclical argument but I'm curious to know if you'd try CoE with the Kinect after reading this article?

Lunchbox

Banned
article is hyperbole

but tbh its actually the only kinect game that i really wanted ever since it was announced. rez hd 2 baby!

Riposte

With a better writer, this article wouldn't be a joke.

Publications need to hire an editor who's only job is to detect statements which give "douchechills".

EDIT:
Tain, I think specifying was fine. There is a difference between getting caught up into something stupid and being overwhelmed by a pretentious wank. Well, I guess crying is an extreme no matter how you slice it.

EDIT: It definitely calls into question one's emotional maturity. This article too.

Pride

Child of Eden won a couple E3 awards last year but then it seemed to go quite (other than the "is the PS3 version canceled" noise). I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Tain

okenny said:
I'm curious to know if you'd try CoE with the Kinect after reading this article?

I was curious to try CoE with Kinect before the article, and I still am.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
He was just saying that the experience was more immersive and involving than what you normally get in video games, of course he didn't really mean it was not a video game. What would it be, a lucid dream?

Still a video game, of course, but something greater than all games that have come before it. Or, if you want, you can see it as "video games cannot achieve synthetic tourism, a 10-minute trip into a gorgeous, abstract world where you're the most powerful being in existence."

Either way, I'm gonna have strong negative reactions.

ToyBroker

Banned
I laughed when I read that quote when the article first went up.

He was talking about how immersed he was with the game...not sure how that's possible with shapes and colors.

Crying seems a bit much but who knows, not everyone can help themselves.

I've been looking forward to playing this game with Kinect ever since Miz's performance at last years E3. It may not be as precise as the controller but I played Rez for the experience, I couldn't care less about score, and it'll be the same way with CoE.

Amir0x

Banned
joystiq said:
With a controller, Child of Eden is a video game.

Will be playing controller version. I expect to play a videogame with minimum lag and not be converted to Islam when I play so this is a positive comment, not a negative one. The crying comment illustrates the lengths of crazy this guy is at.

Can't wait for this game.

Oppo

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Seriously this reads like some bought advertorial or something, it's way over the top.

Grisby

Awesome, article is a bit much but this is my most anticipated Kinect game.

Seems like the only way to play it, :D

Amir0x

Banned
maybe he was on ecstasy when he played this? The synaesthesia mixed with ectsasy might illicit tears. I've seen a few of my friends cry after seeing some crazy light show pulsating in their face during a particularly powerful roll.

Would explain the hilarious nature of the comment, imo.

2th

Banned
i loved Rez and this looks like just a successor to that so i think it should be a solid game. I think the kinect controls will make it very interesting and fun. especially if you have a very large TV.

ToyBroker said:
I laughed when I read that quote when the article first went up.

He was talking about how immersed he was with the game...not sure how that's possible with shapes and colors.

Wait what's wrong with shapes and colours?

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Sorry, what?
Haven't you heard? Better to just accept it.

Having played this at PAX with the kinect, this comment was amazing. It worked worse than I expected, because the bounding box for when the camera would begin to start moving felt really off, which made the whole experience much less immersive. It might be something you can tweak in the final game, and I guess if you own a kinect you'd probably want to use it for SOMETHING, but it's certainly not worth buying one over.

Amir0x

Banned
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Sorry, what?

It's simple. I'm not playing videogames to be saved, to convert to Islam, to have a spiritual awakening of any kind. When I play a videogame I want to play a videogame.

His absurd, omg-this-is-more-than-a-videogame-unless-you-play-it-with-a-controller-i-can-barely-type-out-my-thoughts-coherently-through-my-tears bullshit commentary is offensively offputting and essentially renders the entire preview article pointlessly non-instructive.

SykoTech

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

I know you were trying to be funny and sarcastic with that, but that's actually true. Seeing a beloved mascot in a scene that horrible should make any grown man cry both tears of sadness and laughter at the same time.

Sydle

This game makes me want to get a larger TV and mount it on the wall.

Has there been any discussion around game length?

Kafel said:
We really still have to go through shit like this in this thread ?

He contributed absolutely nothing to the conversation, but rather posted something with the sole purpose to be annoying and rile people up. I'm a bit suprised he wasn't sent on vacation.

Amir0x said:
Will be playing controller version. I expect to play a videogame with minimum lag and not be converted to Islam when I play so this is a positive comment, not a negative one. The crying comment illustrates the lengths of crazy this guy is at.

Can't wait for this game.
Fuck that, I'll be playing the Kinect ver-- ALLAAAAAAAHU AKBARRRR

Opiate

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on now. I've been a strong advocate of people liking-whatever-they-like since I joined GAF: as I have highly unorthodox tastes by GAF standards (I don't like casual or dudebro or cinematic games), I'd hardly last a day here otherwise.

What is not okay, however, is liking games for made up reasons. Here's an example outside of gaming to give you an idea of what I mean. Do I object if you enjoy 300? Not at all. Go nuts. Some people just like to see cool stuff explode / get cut in half on screen, and if that's your thing, that's fine.

What I object to, however, is if you like 300 so much that you begin to try to make arguments that it's totally deep cinema, that it's highly emotional and intellectually sophisticated, or that it's a heartbreaking work of staggering genius. You can't just decide that the stuff you like is incredibly important and intellectual just because you like it and/or you don't want to admit to yourself that you prefer violent pap.

Similarly, it's fine if you like Kinect, and most relevant to this thread, Child of Eden: my problem is when people try to insist that such games somehow represent a complex, intellectual experience. It doesn't. Such light-show-eye-candy style games can certainly be fun, but let's not go overboard here and start describing Rez as some deep, emotional experience.

gblues

Banned
Paco said:
This game makes me want to get a larger TV and mount it on the wall.

Has there been any discussion around game length?

He contributed absolutely nothing to the conversation, but rather posted something with the sole purpose to be annoying and rile people up. I'm a bit suprised he wasn't sent on vacation.

More precisely I was mocking the author of the article. Let me make it more explicit: I expect that playing a motion game that "makes you feel like a Jedi and the One at the same time" in fact makes you look like the Star Wars Kid while you play it. It was not a jab at the kinect in particular.

Amir0x

Banned
Opiate said:
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on now. I've been a strong advocate of people liking things that they prefer since I joined GAF: as I have highly unorthodox tastes by GAF standards (I don't like casual or dudebro or cinematic games), I'd hardly last a day here otherwise.

What is not okay, however, is liking games for made up reasons. Here's an example outside of gaming to give you an idea of what I mean. Do I object if you enjoy 300? Sure. Go nuts. Some people just like to see cool stuff explode / get cut in half on screen, and if that's your thing, that's fine.

What I object to, however, is if you like 300 so much that you being to try to make arguments that it's totally deep cinema and it's a heartbreaking work of staggering genius. You can't just decide that the stuff you like is incredibly important and intellectual just because you like it.

Similarly, it's fine if you like Kinect, and most relevant to this thread, Child of Eden: my problem is when people try to insist that such games somehow represent a complex, intellectual experience. It doesn't. It can certainly be fun, but not for those reasons, because those reasons do not exist for this game.

I agree. It's the type of journalistic exercise that exists for the sole purpose of trying to seed meaning to an experience you had to make it somehow seem transcendent: somehow elevated from experiences you're used to playing. It's not only pointless (because there's no way I can relate to your flowery, verbal vomit) but it tends to lead one to think you're not even being sincere. I usually just go right to assuming the person is either being paid for this over the top shit or that they're driving for hits.

I love Rez and I'm sure I'll love controller Children of Eden but this preview is ridiculous.

Garnett Lee was gushing over this on Weekend Confirmed this week. He said it's the first game to justify Kinect.

I am excited. I really enjoy some of the games I have for Kinect, but none of them are a really flawless experience. This sounds like it uses the device in all the right ways.

Hopefully it won't be a letdown.

Opiate

If a girl came up to me and told me she likes Sex and the City -- and added that she liked it because it's silly, absurd fun that lets her vent her childish fascination with gossip and shopping, I'd be absolutely okay with that. Almost everyone finds their own form of escapism, and if that's her method, that really doesn't strike me as different or worse than someone who escapes by blowing up dudebros online in CoD or pretending to be a sexually irresistible space marine in Mass Effect.

What I'd have a problem with, however, is if someone said they liked Sex and the City, and specifically stated that they liked it because it represents a profound, deep understanding of femininity and modern American culture, and because the show has important, profoundly insightful things to say about society in general.

That is an extreme example to clarify my point: you can like whatever you like, as long as your reasons for liking it make sense.

Draft

Big deal. This is how all games journalists react to garbage art games. They did it with Fl0w, they did it with Flower, they'll do it with this shit, too. It's not worth getting upset. Let them exercise that flowery prose.

Sydle

Draft said:
Big deal. This is how all games journalists react to garbage art games. They did it with Fl0w, they did it with Flower, they'll do it with this shit, too. It's not worth getting upset. Let them exercise that flowery prose.

Throw ICO and SotC in there as well. This is just getting attention because it involves Kinect.

Amir0x

Banned
Draft said:

Can you point out a review or preview for Flower or Fl0w where the writer literally suggested it drove him to tears and that it is somehow more than a videogame or not-a-videogame? Genuinely curious. I'm in a mocking mood.

Top Bottom