• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Playing Child of Eden with Kinect is like being a Jedi... hold on while I cry"

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
staticneuron said:
Ok.... I don't really get the 10 minute part. What is he really saying there?
I think each level is about ten minutes long.

Arnie

It's disturbing that a forum filled with people supposedly enthusiastic about videogames can't as a whole appreciate an opinion that suggests a particular experience offers superior gratifications using a new control method, and instead must ridicule the writer as drugged up or mentally unstable.

I don't own a Kinect, mostly because of space and cost issues but I can identify that despite the clear hyperbole, this writer had a greater experience playing this game with a new method of interaction over our current one. That's great, and makes me envious that I can't accomodate a Kinect at this current time.

And I think people need to make distinctions within the content video game press produce. Yes the news and reports content can be journalistic, but the bulk of it is highly opinionated criticism and nothing more. This writer had an experience that he found difficult to translate into words without sounding untrustworthy, which should say at least as much about Child of Eden with Kinect as it does about the writer.

To clarify, I'm not saying the writers choice of words wasn't ridiculous, it clearly was and yes there is going to be a reaction to that, but his words also clearly indicate to me that he had an exceptional experience with the device and the game, and his unorthodox style didn't detract from that.

As someone who enjoyed Rez for it's swanky visuals and fresh gameplay, I'm really intrigued to try out Child of Eden.

DrPirate

Banned
Opiate said:
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on now. I've been a strong advocate of people liking-whatever-they-like since I joined GAF: as I have highly unorthodox tastes by GAF standards (I don't like casual or dudebro or cinematic games), I'd hardly last a day here otherwise.

What is not okay, however, is liking games for made up reasons. Here's an example outside of gaming to give you an idea of what I mean. Do I object if you enjoy 300? Not at all. Go nuts. Some people just like to see cool stuff explode / get cut in half on screen, and if that's your thing, that's fine.

What I object to, however, is if you like 300 so much that you begin to try to make arguments that it's totally deep cinema, that it's highly emotional and intellectually sophisticated, or that it's a heartbreaking work of staggering genius. You can't just decide that the stuff you like is incredibly important and intellectual just because you like it and/or you don't want to admit to yourself that you prefer violent pap.

Similarly, it's fine if you like Kinect, and most relevant to this thread, Child of Eden: my problem is when people try to insist that such games somehow represent a complex, intellectual experience. It doesn't. Such light-show-eye-candy style games can certainly be fun, but let's not go overboard here and start describing Rez as some deep, emotional experience.

This is the greatest post in history.

Thank you so so so so much.

Thank you.

Thanks.

Arnie said:
It's disturbing that a forum filled with people supposedly enthusiastic about videogames can't as a whole appreciate an opinion that suggests a particular experience offers superior gratifications using a new control method, and instead must ridicule the writer as drugged up or mentally unstable.

I don't own a Kinect, mostly because of space and cost issues but I can identify that despite the clear hyperbole, this writer had a greater experience playing this game with a new method of interaction over our current one. That's great, and makes me envious that I can't accomodate a Kinect at this current time.

And I think people need to make distinctions within the content video game press produce. Yes the news and reports content can be journalistic, but the bulk of it is highly opinionated criticism and nothing more. This writer had an experience that he found difficult to translate into words without sounding untrustworthy, which should say at least as much about Child of Eden with Kinect as it does about the writer.

Gonna have to agree. Yeah, the guy may have went a little overboard describing his experience but the fact that he's basically saying "this game is WAY better on Kinect" should be enough to people to go, "Oh cool, that might be worth buying a Kinect for" instead of ripping him to shreds for his choice of words.

Also, people can hate Lumi? Does not compute.

Arnie said:

It really says more about the writer that he has to resort to unbelievable hyperbole to get his point across. Why couldn't he write about his great experience without sounding like he's a bit off? Presenting the fun time he had with the immersion provided by a new form of controlling a game as an emotional, semi-religious epiphany seems more untrustworthy and dishonest than simply talking how much he likes the game. Surely there's a way to sing the praises of a Kinect controlled Child of Eden without resorting to hyperbole?

Riposte

Arnie said:

He sounds drugged up and mentally unstable. It is important to not sound that way when you are a writer. That's basically all there is to it. (The preview isn't very interesting to me, because GiantBomb gave me as good as preview as I would ever want. Now I am just waiting for the game to come out.)

EDIT: I love reading enthusiastic impressions, but they need to make sense and they need to not give me douchechills.

Amir0x

Banned
Arnie said:

To clarify, I'm not saying the writers choice of words wasn't ridiculous, it clearly was and yes there is going to be a reaction to that, but his words also clearly indicate to me that he had an exceptional experience with the device and the game, and his unorthodox style didn't detract from that.

As someone who enjoyed Rez for it's swanky visuals and fresh gameplay, I'm really intrigued to try out Child of Eden.

I love Rez and can't wait for Children of Eden. I just think if you're a game journalist and your writing devolves into a sort of mushy, barely coherent spiritual awakening, it deserves to be criticized. After all if you're not going to criticize the writing of game journalists, what else should we be calling out?

Amir0x said:
I love Rez and can't wait for Children of Eden. I just think if you're a game journalist and your writing devolves into a sort of mushy, barely coherent spiritual awakening, it deserves to be criticized. After all if you're not going to criticize the writing of game journalists, what else should we be calling out?

agreed. it came off (npi) like he typed that review with one hand. -__-

Kafel

Banned
Amir0x said:
spiritual awakening

But what is this game about? I don't think this guy sounds more ridiculous than players who say they've cried for some JRPG character's death or those who can't calm down about some new pedo or high-tech game announced.

You'd rather have him talk about this game after he filled a grid "well for the graphics I ticked 3 boxes out of 5, and I've given a 4 for music ... but these things could get better in the final version"

The guy uses well-known examples with Star Wars and Matrix to describe the gesture and the feeling that the game creates in you. You only appreciated the storyline in these movies or do you acknowledge some moments seemed powerful?

Amir0x

Banned
Kafel said:
But what is this game about? I don't think this guy sounds more ridiculous than players who say they've cried for some JRPG character's death or those who can't calm down about some new pedo or high-tech game announced.

The game is about shooting colorful shit to beats. It's not some transcendent, magical gaming experience that becomes something more than a videogame when you put down the controller and start flailing your arms about to the music.

I've rolled before while playing Rez and still didn't think it was anything more than a game. The writing is terrible and the conclusion of his article is terrible and it should be called out for such.

And this is coming from someone who can't wait for Children of Eden.

Kafel said:
You'd rather have him talk about this game after he filled a grid "well for the graphics I ticked 3 boxes out of 5, and I've given a 4 for music ..."

I'd rather him not write an article that makes him sound like a whimpering PR monkey.

Kafel said:
The guy uses well-known examples with Star Wars and Matrix to describe the gesture and the feeling that the game creates in you. You only appreciated the storyline in these movies or do you acknowledge some moments seemed powerful?

I didn't appreciate the story in Star Wars and only the first Matrix was good. Neither transcended their labels as "movies" and this title doesn't transcend its label as 'game.'

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kafel said:

This is so ridiculous. Tell me more about this similarity between those that are looking forward to icecream games and those that have spiritual awakenings playing video games.

Kafel

Banned
Y2Kev said:
This is so ridiculous. Tell me more about this similarity between those that are looking forward to icecream games and those that have spiritual awakenings playing video games.

Enthusiasm that can seem irrational for others?

Amir0x >> I'm not talking about the stories, I'm talking about what the journalist refers to to explain what it feels like to control the game with Kinect gestures. The use of the force in SW and the "rebirth" of Neo in Matrix, how powerful these things were translated in the movies.

It's depressing to read that every (or not, maybe it depends if Kinect is involved) enthusiastic previews are now written by PR monkeys.

Anyway, have fun pressing buttons in rythm. I'm done.

nckillthegrimace said:
It really says more about the writer that he has to resort to unbelievable hyperbole to get his point across. Why couldn't he write about his great experience without sounding like he's a bit off? Presenting the fun time he had with the immersion provided by a new form of controlling a game as an emotional, semi-religious epiphany seems more untrustworthy and dishonest than simply talking how much he likes the game. Surely there's a way to sing the praises of a Kinect controlled Child of Eden without resorting to hyperbole?
This, so much this. That whole article just sounded like a bunch of pretentious crap.

Curufinwe

The author of the article discusses his experience with Child of Eden on the latest Gamers With Jobs podcast, but it's just as unfortunate as his article. And, maybe I'm crazy, but it sounds like he's trying to do some kind of weird impression of Luke Smith.

Actually, the whole episode was mainly ignorant circle jerking, so it's probably best to just avoid it.

jett

D-Member
I want to see the controller version of Child of Eden. That disgustingly huge reticle the game uses when you play with Kinect does not mesh at all with the visuals.

venne

Watching the Giant Bomb video tempts me to drop money on release day (very rare for me).

This looks like the best use of Kinect to date.

Arnie said:

You can't just multiply and serve a "religious experience".

Whether or not this dude experienced the Nirvana of gaming is of no consequence to me. My problem with this is that he's implying that such an experience in inherent within the game. For everyone. That is a recipe for disaster for ANY game, much less this one.

venne said:
Watching the Giant Bomb video tempts me to drop money on release day (very rare for me).

This looks like the best use of Kinect to date.

If you got a kinect why not get some use out of it, havnt touched my kinect since december and looking forward to playing this. If the ps3 version ends up having 3d ill have to double dip.

Corto

Now this just upped the ante to the guy that will write the Move preview for Child of Eden. He will have to come while playing it... and write about it. The game is on!

Amir0x said:
The game is about shooting colorful shit to beats. It's not some transcendent, magical gaming experience that becomes something more than a videogame when you put down the controller and start flailing your arms about to the music.

For you, sure. But why does what you say the game is have to be what it is for everyone else?

I mean, I get it, you are traditionalist and don't like the Kinect or motion controls. And that's fine. I've yet to be totally sold yet that its the future of gaming at all. However, telling someone that their feelings for something, whatever it may be (movie, game, music), are wrong doesn't just make it so. For this guy, hyperbole and all, maybe it was a, "transcendent, magical gaming experience that becomes something more than a videogame when you put down the controller and start flailing your arms about to the music." For you, it won't ever be, and that's OK too.

Everyone is able to take something different away from an experience, and experiences are what games are all about.

Corto said:
Now this just upped the ante to the guy that will write the Move preview for Child of Eden. He will have to come while playing it... and write about it. The game is on!

Already been done for a Miz game.

Riposte

piratepwnsninja said:
For you, sure. But why does what you say the game is have to be what it is for everyone else?

I mean, I get it, you are traditionalist and don't like the Kinect or motion controls. And that's fine. I've yet to be totally sold yet that its the future of gaming at all. However, telling someone that their feelings for something, whatever it may be (movie, game, music), are wrong doesn't just make it so. For this guy, hyperbole and all, maybe it was a, "transcendent, magical gaming experience that becomes something more than a videogame when you put down the controller and start flailing your arms about to the music." For you, it won't ever be, and that's OK too.

Everyone is able to take something different away from an experience, and experiences are what games are all about.

Good thing we created language in order to exchange information about our personal experiences. However the author is nonsensical and uses too much hyperbole.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Arnie said:
It's disturbing that any adult, who is videogame-savvy enough to be on GAF, takes this sort of hyperbole from the enthusiast press at face value. Plenty of us are familiar with Kinect and Rez - these aren't unknown quantities, by any means - yet somehow they've magically combined to form ambrosia?

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
A bit extreme, yup. But I want to play this version of Rez using the force. I have been interested, now I am more interested. Preview success.

Another perspective, hyperbole and all the clearly excessive prose sure has brought attention to this article. Isn't that this guys job?

Amir0x

Banned
Kafel said:

Amir0x >> I'm not talking about the stories, I'm talking about what the journalist refers to to explain what it feels like to control the game with Kinect gestures. The use of the force in SW and the "rebirth" of Neo in Matrix, how powerful these things were translated in the movies.

It's depressing to read that every (or not, maybe it depends if Kinect is involved) enthusiastic previews are now written by PR monkeys.

Can you not tell the difference between simple enthusiasm and effusive verbal masturbation that neither informs the reader nor confirms someone's authentic attraction toward the concept?

It's a critique of the writing, not a critique of showing passion. It is ok to be passionate without making up bullshit about what it means as a game or trying to reject other methods of input as somehow "just a videogame."

That is when you deserve to be called out for being a terrible writer.
Kafel said:

I certainly will, Kafel, as I always have. And virtually no lag either. Bonus!

But this has nothing to do about how I will play and everything to do with the article being just offensively written.

Tain

JoDark said:
A bit extreme, yup. But I want to play this version of Rez using the force. I have been interested, now I am more interested. Preview success.

Another perspective, hyperbole and all the clearly excessive prose sure has brought attention to this article. Isn't that this guys job?

Him getting attention isn't gonna stop me from cracking the fuck up and throwing out his opinion.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kafel said:

Why is this about irrational exuberance? It's about writing.

I like pressing buttons in rhythm. I've done it since I started playing video games!

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Why is this about irrational exuberance? It's about writing.

I like pressing buttons in rhythm. I've done it since I started playing video games!

Plus this is not even really a rhythm game. It's a shooter. And we all know how long we've been pressing buttons to control shooters. And there's a bonus: Lag-be-gone.

Arnie said:

It's impossible to take this guy seriously though because he couldn't even do a basic fishing mission in a game. Someone who gets paid to play and write about games could not do a basic game function that most 8 year olds could do, and then wrote a very nasty mini review about the game because of HIS failures.

I keep bringing this up but it's too ridiculous not to. Then he tries to tell me that waving around like a fool is somehow more immersive and life changing then just "playing a videogame".

I had a spiritual awakening using the trance vibrator.

*edit* oh that joke has been made. Well, I'll just say I have a Kinect and can't imagine not playing this with a pad primarily. I'll give it a go with Kinect though.

Amir0x

Banned
CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
I've never been high, but I think I might try to get some recreational drugs for this game.

Rez was definitely extra special on your intoxicating substance of choice. I suspect Child of Eden will get a similarly 'definitive version' feel on, er, certain things

v0yce

Amir0x said:
I'm not trying to defend the article but a lot of what you're saying makes you seem daft. Surely you'll admit that the experience of standing up and dancing to a piece of music is different than sitting down and tapping your toes. I don't see how this is much different.

And I haven't followed too closely, but what's with all lag talk you keep mentioning? Most CoE kinect impressions ive seen seem strong, so I'm curious about this lag issue.

Cipherr

v0yce said:
I'm not trying to defend the article but a lot of what you're saying makes you seem daft. Surely you'll admit that the experience of standing up and dancing to a piece of music is different than sitting down and tapping your toes. I don't see how this is much different.

And I haven't followed too closely, but what's with all lag talk you keep mentioning? Most CoE kinect impressions ive seen seem strong, so I'm curious about this lag issue.

Read the thread, your not really following the context of the discussion, I dont think he is saying the experience cant be different, the complaints here about more about the hyperbole and the bad writing than the game. The article is piss poor. Pointing out that using Kinect instead of a controller isnt going to turn this into some kind of out of body experience is more of a jab at the writing in the article, not some statement that how the game is controlled cant change the 'feeling' of playing it.

Amir0x

Banned
v0yce said:

"Daft" is a term I don't appreciate being applied to me in this way, as it's insulting. It is not 'daft' to criticize the wholly inappropriate bullshit writing represented in this article. Neither is it 'daft' to point out that there is nothing transcendent about a game about shooting colorful lights. It is a game, whether you flail your arms or you tap the buttons.

There is no aspect that will somehow elevate the experience to some spiritual zen awakening in which you're suddenly enlightened by the grace of waggling. If you cannot describe why something is special without your writing devolving into some PR monkey bullshit about regular controllers devolving the experience to - GOD FORBID - a "videogame" then you should not be writing previews.

v0yce said:

There is much more lag with control input in Kinect than there is with a traditional controller. It has been improved from its first reveal but it is still noticeable. That's what I am talking about.

[url=http://kotaku.com/#!5769951/child-of-eden-has-a-beauty-unlike-rez-and-a-vibrating-belt]Link[/url] said:
There was noticeable lag while playing Child of Eden with Kinect, most likely a product of the hardware, not the software. I lost sight of my targets more than once and likely would have failed an attempt or two if "game over" conditions were built into the TGS demo. But playing the game with Kinect was my preferred method, if only for the sensation that it brought me closer to the game, making me feel like an interactive part of the experience.

And to now

[url=http://kotaku.com/#!5641548/preview-finding-happiness-with-child-of-eden]Link[/url] said:
Child of Eden now plays better than it had before at Tokyo Game Show 2010, with Kinect controls showing less lag, making it easier to target and shoot objects and enemies on screen.

It still has lag, but just less than its initial showing.

I understand how important this issue is varies by person. It is extremely important for me.

bender

What time is it?
Amir0x said:
Rez was definitely extra special on your intoxicating substance of choice. I suspect Child of Eden will get a similarly 'definitive version' feel on, er, certain things

I dunno about that. It sounds like they've added complexities (rhythm shots, multiple weapons that are only effective against certain color enemies) and ramped up the difficulty in Child of Eden that might not mix so will with an imbibed state. Rez was straight forward and not exactly challenging. I guess there is always the no fail mode.

As far as control is concerned, having to play with the lights on and stand up kills any urge for me to want to try out Kinect.

IrishNinja

Ickman3400 said:
It's impossible to take this guy seriously though because he couldn't even do a basic fishing mission in a game. Someone who gets paid to play and write about games could not do a basic game function that most 8 year olds could do, and then wrote a very nasty mini review about the game because of HIS failures.

I keep bringing this up but it's too ridiculous not to. Then he tries to tell me that waving around like a fool is somehow more immersive and life changing then just "playing a videogame".

again, this. some of you may not've been around that day, but the dude came on here after getting trashed for that nonsense, and when asked "why coudlnt you follow an arrow on a mini-map", said something along the lines of not having been instructed to - until it was pointed out by players of Nier that you'd not've even gotten that far without having done so.
he responded with the usual "too busy doing actual work to respond to youse guys" exit, and i think it was segata who pointed out he then went on joystiq's awful podcast making fun of GAF/gaffers for calling him out on said bullshit.
i wish they'd go back to being blacklisted here, dude's a hack.

Amir0x said:

this, so hard. also? Killer 7 high/stoned was a blast, i didnt mind the spawn points until the effects wore off.

i'm not sure why i play any games sober, now that i think on it.

Amir0x

Banned
bender said:
I dunno about that. It sounds like they've added complexities (rhythm shots, multiple weapons that are only effective against certain color enemies) and ramped up the difficulty in Child of Eden that might not mix so will with an imbibed state. Rez was straight forward and not exactly challenging. I guess there is always the no fail mode.

Hm, I doubt Child of Eden will get particularly complex. But I can assure you when you're intoxicated it doesn't matter how complex something is, it will still be hilarious and/or fun. Something like this, with pulsing music and insane light shows, will be the LSD/Ecstasy fans dream.

bender

What time is it?
Amir0x said:
Hm, I doubt Child of Eden will get particularly complex. But I can assure you when you're intoxicated it doesn't matter how complex something is, it will still be hilarious and/or fun. Something like this, with pulsing music and insane light shows, will be the LSD/Ecstasy fans dream.

I guess I should have added for me personally. I don't function well when under the influence, particularly in reflex speed. Nor does my mind allow me to go beyond a single track. :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
What the author is talking about is exactly why a technology like Kinect is extremely interesting to me as a gaming device. One of the things a hands free interface does is remove the barrier between yourself and the game. While as gamers the controller has become a part of us, it's still an interface between yourself and the game. The fact that you are USED to that interface doesn't mean the barrier isn't there.

I could use the analogy of speaking to someone face to face, or through a webcam. You could argue that both methods yield he exact same results, a conversation. However once you remove the barrier of the computer interface then a conversation can take on deeper significance. I don't think anyone could argue that having a deep personal conversation with your significant other would have the same impact with you on webcam as it does sitting on the couch together, even without any physical contact.

Personally, as an artist, I often find myself getting drawn into work that I'm doing when I have my headphones on and the right music is playing. I'm not going to say it's a transcendental experience but your mind can develop a certain sense of focus that you might consider trance-like to a certain degree. The same thing can happen on the dance floor at a club, even without the drugs!

With your body free to move without the barrier of translating thumb movements into on-screen movements I could totally see how the game could become that much more immersive. Is his article hyperbolic? Maybe to an extent, but he's trying to convey they feeling he gets while playing. I could argue that many in this thread are being just as hyperbolic with the terms they are using to put the author down. By taking what the author said and exaggerating it even more you are doing so to show how silly his descriptions are, but isn't that just what he was doing in the first place? Exaggerating for effect and to get his point across?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
The music was swelling to a crescendo and I was literally doing everything I could physically to save a girl that, for the moment, was the only other person in the universe. And then, just for a second, right there in my living room, I teared up.

m7ue7t.gif

Top Bottom