• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Playing Child of Eden with Kinect is like being a Jedi... hold on while I cry"

Mrbob

Love dat hyperbole.

People are fishing for a reason to hook up Kinect to use it right now they are hallucinating.

SmithnCo said:
Are you thinking of Eternity's Child?
just checked - i was thinking of the right game. Maybe douche is a bit strong, but Mielke really rubs me the wrong way.

Never really heard of eternity's child, but the designer does look like a drama queen.
why does he have to be french..

SmithnCo

harriet the spy said:
just checked - i was thinking of the right game. Maybe douche is a bit strong, but Mielke really rubs me the wrong way.

Never really heard of eternity's child, but the designer does look like a drama queen.
why does he have to be french..

Ah ok. Didn't really know Mielke was involved with this.

RedStep

CoffeeJanitor said:
You just fell for his hyperbolic trickery

Absolutely not. I even said that the article was overwritten, but the core still remains. That's how it works with all reviews. Even when Ebert writes a scathing review that barely touches on the actual plot points of the film, I can tell when I might disagree with him and enjoy it anyway.

Not to say this dude is qualified to sniff Ebert's jockstrap, but it doesn't make sense to throw out everything he said just because you disagreed with the writing style/enthusiasm of the journalist.

okenny

Banned
So far I've heard two impressions of people (Justin @ Joystiq and Garnet @ Shacknews) who have played the latest version of this game and they've both have stated that Kinect is the better control method. I haven't played it and I've generally have agreed with their perspective in the past. I'm heartened by the fact that they both (independently I assume) have even pointed the same specific reasoning: Using the controller makes it feel like a game [where as Kinect makes you feel like you're in that world]. An interesting aside for people looking forward to the move version; I wonder if it's being a controller more so than Kinect adds or removes from the experience both these accounts are describing?

So I guess I'm the only one that thought of the Jet Li movie when I read the thread title? That doesn't usually happen on the internet.

Alx

Casval said:
Trying to imagine someone crying while waving his arms around makes me giggle :D

Trying to imagine someone crying while pushing buttons makes me laugh out loud. ;)

Hyperbole aside, the point of the article is not so surprising or even new. We would expect that without a controller, the experience would be different and more involving (that's what the developers were going for from the beginning anyway), while with a controller it would be closer to any regular game, and add a layer of abstraction between the player and the game.

Master Milk said:
So I guess I'm the only one that thought of the Jet Li movie when I read the thread title? That doesn't usually happen on the internet.

Actually that's what I thought he was referring too... :p

Jesus, the amount of snapping at the (surprisingly) well written article just because it's saying something you don't want to hear. Grow up, folks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Jesus, the amount of snapping at the (surprisingly) well written article just because it's saying something you don't want to hear. Grow up, folks.

It's the exact opposite for me. The game sounds cool, but the article is absurd.

bangai-o

Banned
well what do you guys want? Gaf journalism?

4 hours, no buy
zoom in X100 shows jaggies, lazy developers
not exclusive to my platform, rent

gogojira

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

The problem is, I don't think most people find it well written. It feels forced, like he's throwing out a few big words to sound deep and trying to be poetic, but given his previous articles and the general feel of the story, it comes off awkward.

Wallach

So with a controller it's a video game, with Kinect it's a manic episode. That's gotta be worth a hundred and forty bucks.

gogojira said:
The problem is, I don't think most people find it well written. It feels forced, like he's throwing out a few big words to sound deep and trying to be poetic, but given his previous articles and the general feel of the story, it comes off awkward.

To me it reads as something I would expect to find in Edge, The Escapist or on Kieron Gillen-era Eurogamer and not on Joystick. In fact, there are several articles similar in tone in the recent thread about best examples of gaming journalism, but hey...

gogojira

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
To me it reads as something I would expect to find in Edge, The Escapist or on Kieron Gillen-era Eurogamer and not on Joystick. In fact, there are several articles similar in tone in the recent thread about best examples of gaming journalism, but hey...

To each their own. I'll be playing Childen of Eden videogame style, I said bye to my Kinect awhile back.

obonicus

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

It has a scent of 'new-gaming journalism', which even KG gave up on. Which was one of those things that seemed utter unnecessary and generally really, really pretentious. He's implying that with Kinect the experience transcends videogames. Which is silly. With or without kinect, all it is is a videogame. And there's nothing wrong with that; trying to suggest otherwise does the medium a disservice.

I have to note, however, that I don't think any of the sources you listed are particularly good, so different strokes etc.

okenny

Banned
obonicus said:
It has a scent of 'new-gaming journalism', which even KG gave up on. Which was one of those things that seemed utter unnecessary and generally really, really pretentious. He's implying that with Kinect the experience transcends videogames. Which is silly. With or without kinect, all it is is a videogame. And there's nothing wrong with that; trying to suggest otherwise does the medium a disservice.

I have to note, however, that I don't think any of the sources you listed are particularly good, so different strokes etc.

Transcends video games OR unlike any video game experience one's ever had? I seriously doubt anyone is saying that it's not a video game. Rather, it's an experience that has shades of noises beyond browns and bloops.

Tain

REMEMBER CITADEL said:

The game might be way better with Kinect. Who cares about that?

I will never, ever be able to do anything but ridicule someone who cried at playing a Mizuguchi game, basically. Let alone take their opinion to heart.

mollipen

The article is a guy really having fun with the game, and expressing that instead of just writing a cookie-cutter article about the facts of the game.

Good!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds amazing.

Hopefully we'll see more innovative/interesting Kinect use at e3. Child of Eden shows that the potential is there.

okenny

Banned
Tain said:

I will never, ever be able to do anything but ridicule someone who cried at playing a Mizuguchi game, basically. Let alone take their opinion to heart.

wow

8bit

Knows the Score
Tain said:

If the music is all by Genki Rockets I'll probably cry.

What I've learned from this thread is that we hate games journalism because they're press release spweing assholes who are obviously paid off by the industry and therefore never say anything of substance, yet when someone actually writes a preview that treats something critically and talks about a meaningful experience he had with the game that may involve using a piece of equipment that's not exactly well-liked here, we hate that too. Thanks for clearing this up, guys.

8bit said:
If the music is all by Genki Rockets I'll probably cry.
You might want to have some tissues on hand while you play this, then.

geebee

Banned
A bit exaggerated, isn't it? I'll be playing this with a controller when it releases. Ever since the announcement of the game... Kinect controls never amounted to better gameplay in my view. Playing Rez for the past... what, 7 or 8 years I never thought "Hey, flailing my hands around might make this game more fun!". Yes, it'll be an amusing activity when using the Kinect, but I highly doubt it'll be as fluid and intuitive/natural as using a controller.

Don't get me started on Genki Rockets. I just hope the girl doesn't show up in the game.

okenny

Banned
geebee said:
A bit exaggerated, isn't it? I'll be playing this with a controller when it releases. Ever since the announcement of the game... Kinect controls never amounted to better gameplay in my view. Playing Rez for the past... what, 7 or 8 years I never thought "Hey, flailing my hands around might make this game more fun!". Yes, it'll be an amusing activity when using the Kinect, but I highly doubt it'll be as fluid and intuitive/natural as using a controller.

Don;t get me started on Genki Rockets. I just hope the girl doesn't show up in the game.

...maybe you may want to skip this game... just say'in >_>

geebee

Banned
Blimblim said:
Child of Eden is all about Lumi.
Lumi? If she is some kind of evolved form or simulated human created by Eden, I can buy it. But I really hope this game is not just about the Genki Rockets girl jumping in slow motion with the camera revolving around her the entire game.

GhaleonQ

NO IT'S JUSTIN MCELROY. I still love My Brother, My Brother, And Me.

"(And yes, for those wondering, it's perennially 1999 in my noggin'. Sorry.)"

At least he apologized.

I AM JOHN! said:
What I've learned from this thread is that we hate games journalism because they're press release spweing assholes who are obviously paid off by the industry and therefore never say anything of substance, yet when someone actually writes a preview that treats something critically and talks about a meaningful experience he had with the game that may involve using a piece of equipment that's not exactly well-liked here, we hate that too. Thanks for clearing this up, guys.

Critically? With respect to him and you (both of whom I really like), he wrote that he turned his brain off and got "immersed." I hate this "argument" so much.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
geebee said:
Lumi? If she is some kind of evolved form or simulated human created by Eden, I can buy it. But I really hope this game is not just about the Genki Rockets girl jumping in slow motion with the camera revolving around her the entire game.
Not the entire game, but she's definitely there from time to time (and the central piece in the menu interface).
Check our video of the presentation we saw a few weeks ago:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_child_of_eden_dmo_child_of_eden_tetsuya-20591_en.html
Our preview is still being translated, it should be done later today or tomorrow.

szaromir

Banned
Tain said:

How is crying to shitty Kojima's writing any better?

Rad-

CoE seems like the perfect game for Kinect. I'm actually surprised so many still seems to favor a controller for a game like this. I mean the game is 99% about the experience and 1% about playing it well so what advantage does a controller actually give to a game like this?

GhaleonQ said:
Critically? With respect to him and you (both of whom I really like), he wrote that he turned his brain off and got "immersed." I hate this "argument" so much.
And that kind of statement still has value. It might not be the deepest level of criticism, but talking about how this experience ties into the synesthesia Miz always goes for in a way that a controller can't is still looking at something beyond the top level analysis most writers do. It's no less criticism than anything Nathan Rabin has ever written (though obviously nowhere near his quality of writing or analysis since hey, this is still Joystiq we're talking about here, let's not go crazy!).

Sorry for derailing your stealth Kinect troll thread, guys; I'll leave now.

Tain

Rad- said:
CoE seems like the perfect game for Kinect. I'm actually surprised so many still seems to favor a controller for a game like this. I mean the game is 99% about the experience and 1% about playing it well so what advantage does a controller actually give to a game like this?

The Kinect probably is the way to go for this game. No doubt about that. This isn't a skill-based game, and going by Rez, I doubt that many will ever even worry about failing in this game. Probably not to the point where motion control sloppiness would be a factor.

szaromir said:
How is crying to shitty Kojima's writing any better?

I'm not sure that it would be!

gblues

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:

You might want to have some tissues on hand while you play this, then.

Liking the Kinect experience is not the issue. Pretentious use of hyperbole is the problem. It's a (highly) condensed version of Tim Rogers' bullshit. The line about being Neo and The One simultaneously is no less cringe-inducing than "our frothing demand for this game increases."

szaromir

Banned
Tain said:
I'm not sure that it would be!
Yet plenty of GAFfers did just that.

Regard;ess, is The One some kind of cult movie? I remember such movie with Jet Li (?), but I don't remember story or any other details - entirely forgettable.

Top Bottom