• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Playing Child of Eden with Kinect is like being a Jedi... hold on while I cry"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Paco said:
Throw ICO and SotC in there as well. This is just getting attention because it involves Kinect.

Why do some people keep trying to bring this up? Aside from a few posts, people are being critical of the author's masturbatory writing, not the Kinect.

Raide

Draft said:
Big deal. This is how all games journalists react to garbage art games. They did it with Fl0w, they did it with Flower, they'll do it with this shit, too. It's not worth getting upset. Let them exercise that flowery prose.

This. The review is simply a writer trying to write a fancy and wordy article to get some response.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I can't tell if the author of that drivel is auditioning to be a community manager or for a dedicated PR firm. Either way: godspeed to you, Hype Monkey. Godspeed.

Draft

Amir0x said:
Can you point out a review or preview for Flower or Fl0w where the writer literally suggested it drove him to tears and that it is somehow more than a videogame or not-a-videogame? Genuinely curious. I'm in a mocking mood.
I don't read game reviews.

Trakdown

So playing Child Of Eden Kinect is basically like that Sony commercial with the doll? Yikes.

All joking aside, I'm glad Kinect works out so well for a game like this. I'll be playing this with Move + 3D (provided it supports it), hopefully that experience translates well too.

Amir0x said:
It's simple. I'm not playing videogames to be saved, to convert to Islam, to have a spiritual awakening of any kind. When I play a videogame I want to play a videogame.

What a strange parallel to make, especially when the article only talks about fulfillment of power fantasies (which are at the root of practically every video game) and not of spiritual experiences. At least I don't consider any of mentioned feelings and experiences spiritual, but that might be because I'm an atheist.

Opiate said:
Similarly, it's fine if you like Kinect, and most relevant to this thread, Child of Eden: my problem is when people try to insist that such games somehow represent a complex, intellectual experience. It doesn't. Such light-show-eye-candy style games can certainly be fun, but let's not go overboard here and start describing Rez as some deep, emotional experience.

Emotional and intellectual are two separate and completely different categories, with almost no common ground between them. And while Rez's intellectual merits are debatable (it does have a light sci-fi story at its core, but it's nothing too deep), playing it can indeed be a very emotional experience. Mind you, there are countless other emotions beside sadness, which is the one usually mentioned or implied whenever there's talk about emotions in gaming (which is silly, but that's a topic for another conversation).

alphaNoid

Banned
I bought a Kinect at launch, but have had my sights on this game ever since. I cannot wait to put the controller down and hopefully get the same kind of experience as this dude.

Finally a Kinect game to blow my socks off (hopefully)

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Zeal said:
A man who has never touched a boob.

newjustinpic-1275592458_190x240.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
His big mistake was playing the controller second. Oh you mean the game isnt as emotive the second time you go through a level? NO SHIT.

Also, I like how getting closer to the tv = more immersion

Amir0x

Banned
Draft said:
I don't read game reviews.

So you know that other reviewers/previewers did the same thing for FLOW/FL0WER how, exactly?

Seems you were being intellectually dishonest then.

Raging Spaniard said:
His big mistake was playing the controller second. Oh you mean the game isnt as emotive the second time you go through a level? NO SHIT.

Also, I like how getting closer to the tv = more immersion

His first problem was thinking that he should pretend he cried during the game experience and that somehow this is informative to the readers of this article or that he should act like this is somehow more-than-a-videogame.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Amir0x said:
So you know that other reviewers/previewers did the same thing for FLOW/FL0WER how, exactly?

Seems you were being intellectually dishonest then

His first problem was thinking that he should pretend he cried during the game experience and that somehow this is informative to the readers of this article or that he should act like this is somehow more-than-a-videogame.

I cried at the end of Terminator 2, surely its a chick flick

Despite the hyperbole, it is good that people are putting some of the Kinect experimentation to commercial use and just generally making real games that can really make use of the damn thing.

DSN2K said:
what a pretentious article lol.

'With a controller, Child of Eden is a video game.'

and thats a bad thing ? right.

Halverson does not die, he multiplies.

RavenFox

Banned
Draft said:
Big deal. This is how all games journalists react to garbage art games. They did it with Fl0w, they did it with Flower, they'll do it with this shit, too. It's not worth getting upset. Let them exercise that flowery prose.
Uhmm leave Flower out of this thank you.

Amir0x

Banned
that is definitely yet further evidence you're being intellectually dishonest. so your perspective on reviewers/previewers being this bullshit in their articles on FLOW/FLOWER is now second or third hand reports of the articles themselves?

I don't mean to be combative but when you make statements like that and you can't even claim to have experienced a single shred of journalistic evidence to back it up it seems to me you were being defensive of the article to try to equivocate like it's common and everybody is doing it and therefore it's not worth complaining about here.

Now I hate Flower and I hate Flow and I am almost certain that somebody out there wrote something as awful as this piece on joystiq, but I would like to see the evidence of this for myself from somebody who actually seen such a thing.

Sianos

Although the writing style isn't bad, it's definitely not suitable for journalism (quick, snappy, reminiscent of the good old newspaper days, etc.). Maybe he should try writing romance novels instead?

Putting the journalists passion aside, it actual does sound like a fun game for Kinect. This is one of the few types of games where I find this sort of power-glove-esque control works.

That said, I'm sticking to good old dual analog. Because I'm looking for a video game, not "synthetic tourism"

Draft

I'm not defending the article. If I felt anything for the article, which I don't, it would be hate. But because it's some jerk waxing poetic over bleeps and bloops, I can't muster up any feeling except complete apathy.

Well, that and a little twinge of narcissism because, Goddamn it, people need to know my opinion on this matter.

Amir0x

Banned
klee123 said:
Lol, I'll sticking to playing the "game" with a controller thank you.

but it's MORE than a game when you flail about like star wars kid coupled with massive lag!

At that point it becomes spiritual and enlightening an' shit

Kafel

Banned
So the guy has difficulties to find words for this new thing in videogame interaction, an experience that powerful that he confesses there was a tear drop ...

And GAF reaction is basically "bwahaha, how do you want us to believe that shit? ps : I don't care I'll play the not laggy version"

Majora

I just got this month's Edge Magazine and they also preferred it with Kinect for what it's worth, and also referenced how the physical movements made you feel more involved and powerful. So while Joystiq's prose may be a little hyperbolic, the author isn't alone in his sentiments

Edge June 2011 said:
There's an option to use a standard controller, but it's Kinect that truly makes you feel a part of Eden's world...when you're in the game's foot-tapping rhythm, with vocals and beats building to a crescendo as your hands conduct the onscreen action, you feel like some electric god, the saviour of Eden's universe...there's no denying that Kinect was made for experiences like Child Of Eden

Amir0x

Banned
Kafel said:
So the guy has difficulties to find words for this new thing in videogame interaction, an experience that powerful that he confesses there was a tear drop ...

And GAF reaction is basically "bwahaha, how do you want us to believe that shit? ps : I don't care I'll play the not laggy version"

He's a game journalist. His job is to not write like a ridiculous marketing nutcase. If you think it's somehow inappropriate to comment on the quality of the writing of a game journalism piece, you're sadly mistaken.

This guy is insane.

Kafel

Banned
I've read some CoE Kinect previews and they almost all had that tone.

The review thread will be fun to read. Or annoying.

Despera

Banned
Majora said:
I just got this month's Edge Magazine and they also preferred it with Kinect for what it's worth, and also referenced how the physical movements made you feel more involved and powerful. So while Joystiq's prose may be a little hyperbolic, the author isn't alone in his sentiments

There's an option to use a standard controller, but it's Kinect that truly makes you feel a part of Eden's world...when you're in the game's foot-tapping rhythm, with vocals and beats building to a crescendo as your hands conduct the onscreen action, you feel like some electric god, the saviour of Eden's universe...there's no denying that Kinect was made for experiences like Child Of Eden
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. Can we have a video preview demonstrating what these guys are experiencing?

Some hands off time with the game would be cool though...

Mrbob

SatelliteOfLove said:
Despite the hyperbole, it is good that people are putting some of the Kinect experimentation to commercial use and just generally making real games that can really make use of the damn thing.

This it the problem with Kinect, though. The device isn't created for "real" games. It is a casual device made for casual games. It shouldn't even be pushed otherwise.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
This it the problem with Kinect, though. The device isn't created for "real" games. It is a casual device made for casual games. It shouldn't even be pushed otherwise.

If you divide the lag by a factor of three and then make Codename Kingdoms then it's totally hardcore

RooMHM

Mrbob said:

The "gameplay" video they showed few days ago was the best attempt I saw of developpers proving their game had actually no gameplay at all.

Kafel said:
This Edge guy should be mocked too. Come on GAF.

At least he didn't weep, I guess. I remember reading the E3 2009 issue of Edge in which they were talking about how the Natal sensor, as it was called then, would change the future of games or something. I'm curious to know if the writer of that piece is the same as the writer of that "electric god" preview, but Edge has no byline so we'll never know. Either way, games as religious/spiritual experiences seems way out there in hyperbole land.

derFeef

He liked it, went hyperbole mode, wrote article. I have no idea whats the big deal about it. The overreaction is a bit embarassing to be honest because everyone can play this game any way he or she wants.
Slappers Only said:
People who read gaming journalism.
People who play video games and are interested in what others have to say about them. Whats your point.

PSGames

Majora said:

Can't wait to try this out of myself. E3 can't come soon enough.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
That playing with Kinect provides a better experience than playing with a controller.
That's not what he's claiming however. He's claiming it's some kind of transcendent experience.

It's pretentious twaddle when presented like that.

He was just saying that the experience was more immersive and involving than what you normally get in video games, of course he didn't really mean it was not a video game. What would it be, a lucid dream?
Exactly. What he actually wrote was nonsense. Thus, people are laughing.

dyergram

It seems that mr McElroy enjoyed playing with kinect child of eden more than the average hater on gaf likes the word hyperbole.

Riposte

Paco said:
Throw ICO and SotC in there as well. This is just getting attention because it involves Kinect.

Those games actually contain substance you don't need a microscope to see. Flower and co are anti-videogames("postmodern" even). I understand what you are getting at though.

Kafel said:
This Edge guy should be mocked too. Come on GAF.

I don't think it is anywhere near as bad. I mean I am not sure I believe it for Eden, but you could say you feel like a God in games like SimCity. Maybe it is just the new-found novelty of the Kinect not being shitty/kiddy.

As several more hours of testing would prove, my scores were fairly even between the two control methods, but my experiences could not have been more disparate. With Kinect, this is synthetic tourism, a 10-minute trip into a gorgeous, abstract world where you're the most powerful being in existence.

With a controller, Child of Eden is a video game.

Ok.... I don't really get the 10 minute part. What is he really saying there?

Top Bottom