• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3 in 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaDrive

Banned
if not late 2006

Cell Processor To "Make A Sensation" In 2007?
By David Smith
6/3/2004

Sony plans for its Cell microprocesser to come into its own beginning early in 2006, Nikkei Electronics reports today. Speaking at Sony's recent strategic meeting last month, vice president and COO Ken Kutaragi said the company plans to "make a sensation" with the new processor once its ongoing Transformation 60 restructuring plan concludes with fiscal 2006.
Sony's 2006 fiscal year ends in March 2007 -- the company just recently concluded fiscal 2003.

The Cell, co-developed with IBM and Toshiba, is to power the company's next game console and many other home entertainment devices, as outlined by Sony Computer Entertainment chief technology officer Masa Chatani at E3. In a recent interview, Sony's Nobuyuki Idei proposed a Cell-powered television with broadband capabilities for downloading video and other entertainment content.

The first product employing the processor will be a new computer workstation developed with IBM. Prototypes of the workstation, which Sony expects to prefigure the development system for its next game console, are due for delivery late this year.

On a related note, Kutaragi addressed Sony's progress in the DVD recorder market, which he pegged as an important sector of the electronics business in coming years. He said that Sony plans to implement more standardization between its different models of digital video recorders -- the PSX multipurpose console, as well as other products solely focused on digital video -- to save on production costs and keep each line competitive.

Conventional wisdom expects Sony to release its next console in late 2006 or 2007, later than its rivals at Nintendo and Microsoft -- Kutaragi's comments lean towards the later end of that window. More concrete information won't be forthcoming for some time, but we'll report whatever details pop up until then.

1up.com

"Giga: Gamespot said it would launch in 2007, I am never wrong and don't you dare quote me"

RUMOR #3: Sony executives have said the PlayStation 3 won't be released until 2007.

Source: Japanese online business newspaper Nikkei Electronics.

The official story: "We haven't announced anything since E3 regarding the progress of The Cell processor."--Sony Computer Entertainment American spokesperson.

What we heard: In a May 27th article on Sony's recent strategy meeting, Nikkei Electronics quoted Sony Corp. vice president and COO Ken Kutaragi as saying, "We [Sony] are going to cause a storm after FY2006" with the Cell processor. Since the high-speed chip at the heart of the PlayStation 3 and Japanese financial years are one year behind the current year--versus Western financial years, which are one year ahead--some sites assumed that Kutaragi's comment meant the PS3 wouldn't be out until 2007. However, native Japanese speakers who read the article said that Kutaragi's "storm" comment was more about a whole wave of electronic products that will incorporate the Cell, which will be seen in high-end workstations later this year, rather than the PlayStation 3, which is expected in 2006. (For the record, GameSpot adjusts Japanese financial years to match Western ones--life's confusing enough as it is.)

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus.

GigaDrive

Banned
interesting, thanks for that post Daxter. It would seem a whole lot better if PS3 comes in 2006... 2005 is too soon. 2007 is getting kinda late. 2006 is perfect. still, i would not rule out a delay to 2007, just yet. remember EA's comments that PS3 would have a later than expected release date.

Chrono

Banned
2006 Definitley. The 2006 world cup would too big of a chance to miss advertising in it and it's in the summer. Fall 2006 I think is the latest time any next-gen console will launch.

Chrono said:
2006 Definitley. The 2006 world cup would too big of a chance to miss advertising in it and it's in the summer. Fall 2006 I think is the latest time any next-gen console will launch.

Yea but the Cell has to be ready for it to launch.

jarrod

Banned
I'm sticking to....

Japan: Spring 2006
America: Fall 2006
Europe: Winter 2006/2007

...Xenon should have a full year headstart in America.

Wow, Sony's been winning ever since 2004!
HWaQd6Z.png
Gamernyc78 Gamernyc78

Banned

jesus... I literally still know the lyricz to this to this day xD

watched these so much back in the day, because I was one of the idiots who paid 600€ for this piece of shit system at launch.
and sold my 360 for it, and then I saw all the multiplatform games look and run so much better on my friends 360, plus all the exclusive games it had and was so pissed.

sold the PS3 half a year latee and got a 360 again.

didn't buy another shit station 3 until late in its lifecycle because then it was cheap and it had like 4 games I wanted to play.

still one of the worst systems I've ever owned imo.
it was so far behind its time compared to the 360 it's kinda ridiculous.

but it has MGS4, and so I can hardly sell it can I? xD

Gamernyc78

Banned
jesus... I literally still know the lyricz to this to this day xD

watched these so much back in the day, because I was one of the idiots who paid 600€ for this piece of shit system at launch.
and sold my 360 for it, and then I saw all the multiplatform games look and run so much better on my friends 360, plus all the exclusive games it had and was so pissed.

sold the PS3 half a year latee and got a 360 again.

didn't buy another shit station 3 until late in its lifecycle because then it was cheap and it had like 4 games I wanted to play.

still one of the worst systems I've ever owned imo.
it was so far behind its time compared to the 360 it's kinda ridiculous.

but it has MGS4, and so I can hardly sell it can I? xD
"shit station" What are you like 5? Lol so edgy. So when you handed in your ps3 that was 600 how many "rrod boxes" did you spend money on before you got one that stayed alive??? 😂😂😂😂😂

Far behind its time? It had features Xbox couldn't even dream of

-True stereoscopic 3d not tht fake vs
-First console with 7.1 true Sorroubd Sound
-Bluray player that at that time standalone were like 800
-web browser
Arguably best exclusives and pound for pound in their respective genres the graphical benchmarks and highly rated.

Xbox at tht time had better multiplats up until midway then PS3 multis caught up once devs knew how to work the cell. But on exclusive front Xbox wasn't lighting a candle to PS3.

Hey we all have our opinions but your talking troll shit when you say it was far behind its time it was actually more advanced in Many things.

I find it interesting that we've not had a console war like the early years of the PS3 vs 360 since.

Probably because it's an objective fact that Sony has had a stronger output this gen than Microsoft, so why even debate it?

"shit station" What are you like 5? Lol so edgy. So when you handed in your ps3 that was 600 how many "rrod boxes" did you spend money on before you got one that stayed alive??? 😂😂😂😂😂

Far behind its time? It had features Xbox couldn't even dream of

-True stereoscopic 3d not tht fake vs
-First console with 7.1 true Sorroubd Sound
-Bluray player that at that time standalone were like 800
-web browser
Arguably best exclusives and pound for pound in their respective genres the graphical benchmarks and highly rated.

Xbox at tht time had better multiplats up until midway then PS3 multis caught up once devs knew how to work the cell. But on exclusive front Xbox wasn't lighting a candle to PS3.

Hey we all have our opinions but your talking troll shit when you say it was far behind its time it was actually more advanced in Many things.

Dude..... let it go.

You're literally arguing over decade plus old consoles, it just doesn't matter anymore.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I find it interesting that we've not had a console war like the early years of the PS3 vs 360 since.

Probably because it's an objective fact that Sony has had a stronger output this gen than Microsoft, so why even debate it?

We know this. You do know some of us have downtime on and after work right? Don't worry to much about me I'm killing time omw to work on the train. I'm feeding the troll it entertains me, it shouldn't bother you.

Dude..... let it go.

You're literally arguing over decade plus old consoles, it just doesn't matter anymore.

Gamernyc78

Banned

We know this. You do know some of us have downtime on and after work right? Don't worry to much about me I'm killing time omw to work on the train. I'm feeding the troll it entertains me, it shouldn't bother you.

Dude..... let it go.

Yes, and?

Yes and what? Why butt into something that doesn't concern you? Did this ruin your day? 🤔

Gamernyc78

Banned
You quoted me but didn't type anything, why? Did you make a mistake?

Ohhhhhh I see you didn't see my response it was in the body of the quote. I thought your response after was being snarky.

What I said was something in the gist of me having downtown omw to work and just feeding the troll. Look in the middle of the body of your quote, my response is in there. I'm on the train so reception sometimes messes up my responses.

Anyway this is an old thread so I'm out guys. Everyone enjoy your day and Happy gaming.

Last edited:
Ohhhhhh I see you didn't see my response it was in the body of the quote. I thought your response after was being snarky.

What I said was something in the gist of me having downtown omw to work and just feeding the troll. Look in the middle of the body of your quote, my response is in there. I'm on the train so reception sometimes messes up my responses.

Anyway this is an old thread so I'm out guys. Everyone enjoy your day and Happy gaming.

I see it now.

I guess it's ok to have postmortems on generations, it's just that specifically the PS3 vs the 360 brings back mad memories of so many tiresome online flamewars, your post made me flashback like a war veteran with PTSD *eye twitches*

But it's fine I guess, sorry for being cross.

Last edited:
I hear you bro, no need for apologies. Enjoy your day.

Thanks, you too.

While we're on the subject of 7th gen postmortems, how tragic is MGS4?

I was so damn hyped for that game, so damn hyped.

There's elements that I like about the game, I find it a hard game to hate, but I find it a hard game to love too.

In my mind eye's I can see a version of 4 that was bolder, more in the vein of 2, instead Kojima caved in and "gave the fans what they wanted" and it's all just so bland, the best parts of the game are just fanservice stuff, like the return to Shadow Moses and returning characters from MGS1, but it's all so empty and hollow.

Shifty

Look in the middle of the body of your quote, my response is in there. I'm on the train so reception sometimes messes up my responses.
You deserve to be (non-lethally) pushed off a pier for inline quoting. That shit is unreadable trash.

And how could you do your mobile provider dirty like that, when they're just transmitting what you typed? For shame! :messenger_frowning_

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
You deserve to be (non-lethally) pushed off a pier for inline quoting. That shit is unreadable trash.

And how could you do your mobile provider dirty like that, when they're just transmitting what you typed? For shame! :messenger_frowning_

You deserve "to be (non-lethally) pushed off a pier" for taking the time and finding it important enough to respond with this lame bs lol 🤔

Shifty

You deserve "to be (non-lethally) pushed off a pier" for taking the time and finding it important enough to respond with this lame bs lol 🤔
You get up on Miyazaki's stage then you'd best be ready for the tomatoes, saltie :messenger_relieved:

And I mean, if you're so offended at my softening the blow then I suppose we could upgrade it to a regular, genuinely dangerous shoving off of a pier. If sir insists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom