• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 Sells out (BBC)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6135452.stm

Japanese line up to buy Playstation 3
Only 100,000 Sony machines have been made available
Electronics stores in Japan have sold out of PlayStation 3 consoles after thousands of gamers queued for hours in the cold to buy them.

Large queues meant some shoppers were turned away even before stores opened at 0700 local time (2100 GMT).

The console officially went on sale on 11 November but Sony only made 100,000 machines available on launch day.

Instead of opening at midnight, stores organised lotteries to decide who in the queue would get a long-awaited PS3.

Edit: NM I'm an idiot, for some reason I thought PS3 was releasing on the 17th in Japan as well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LOL. OP FAIL.

Of course it sold out. There were people running away with them like a hobo with a sweet potato pie!

LOcKY

now what will be interesting is if the BBC will give the same coverage for the Nintendo Wii when it comes out in japan, but knowing the bbc it most likely wont.

Ive always believed that the BBC are very Pro Sony.

As obviously predicted. Now, it is more interesting WHEN Sony will restock stores in Japan and trust me if I say that this will not happen soon. perhaps at the end of next week, Sony will restock magazines.

Holtz said:
Good news on the sell out, if true.

What were the chances of it not selling out? They could already type up that the 2nd shipment sold out if they wanted and just add the date once its known the 2nd shipment has arrived to retailers.

SolidSnakex said:
What were the chances of it not selling out? They could already type up that the 2nd shipment sold out if they wanted and just add the date once its known the 2nd shipment has arrived to retailers.

A non sold out for a new Playstation's machine is impossible. And in general every big Launch is almost 100% a sell out. It is the long term that make the difference.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Holtz said:
Good news on the sell out, if true.
mmm dude, it would have been strange if they'd not been sold out, they put under 100k consoles for launch for god's sake, that's less than nothing when you're doing a launch of the followup to the previous market leader in japan...

It's not good news, it's more like non-news

Holtz

Masklinn said:
mmm dude, it would have been strange if they'd not been sold out, they put under 100k consoles for launch for god's sake, that's less than nothing when you're doing a launch of the followup to the previous market leader in japan...

It's not good news, it's more like non-news
Man, i don't doubt at all that the thing sold out, it was pretty damn obvious it would disappear, specially with only 100000. I just was expecting the news to come from a japanese source, not BBC.

Stealth

So isn't this the first home console sell out in Japan since PS2? GameCube didn't sell out, nor did Xbox or Xbox 360 IIRC. Pretty good news for Sony, although with 100,000 units its not like it wasn't expected.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
LOcKY said:
now what will be interesting is if the BBC will give the same coverage for the Nintendo Wii when it comes out in japan, but knowing the bbc it most likely wont.

Ive always believed that the BBC are very Pro Sony.

This is the first time, as far as I know, that anyone has been banned for constant trolling of the BBC in the gaming forum. Congratulations.

Dahbomb

iapetus said:
This is the first time, as far as I know, that anyone has been banned for constant trolling of the BBC in the gaming forum. Congratulations.
:lol :lol :lol

That made this thread worthwhile.

7Th

no_wai2.jpg
OMG.jpeg

DCharlie

Banned
Stood out in the cold weather?

the night was EXTREMELY mild and some may actually have ventured that it was "fairly warm for mid november!"

Why do people always have to make out like it was crossing the plains of Modor?

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
DCharlie said:
Why do people always have to make out like it was crossing the plains of Modor?

One does not simply walk across the plains of Mordor. Its PS3s are guarded by more than just homeless Chinese. There is evil there that does not sleep, and Ken Kutaragi is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with ports, shovelware, and film licenses, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with a hundred thousand yen could you do this. It is folly.

DCharlie

Banned
One does not simply walk across the plains of Mordor. Its PS3s are guarded by more than just homeless Chinese. There is evil there that does not sleep, and Ken Kutaragi is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland riddled with ports, shovelware, and film licenses, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with a hundred thousand yen could you do this. It is folly.

... but even then... the weather in modor was probably still nice

Top Bottom