• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 does not require an internet connection

i'm not surprised ..there are still famillies that don't want to connect their devices to the net , for whatever reason it is.

Still it's great to have that confirmation

Persona 4 Arena isn't.

I was just raising the point of who actually decides if a game is region free, is it Sony or the publisher?

It's the publisher that has to make the lock active in the disc boot.

vega435

Banned
Good news. Hope the next xbox will follow suit.

It would be retarded for them not to at this point.

Which means that either A) allot of the rumors we've heard so far for the nextbox are bullshit or B) MS is clearing going in this generation with the sole intention of not making any money.

CTLance

Very good. I would not have considered an always-on console, no matter the price.

Also:
Damn you, neogaf servers, stop melting down already!
9JYmcH6.jpg
Admins are probably at stage 7 by now.

This will be the first generation I won't own a XBOX...

PS4:
Can play in internet outage
Can rent games or share them with friends

Xbox:
Always online DRM
No used games

If these rumors are true, there will be no nextbox for me.

dmr87

Even if the rumors about Durango were true, allways online and block used games, they are most likely changed now. Microsoft are dead if they go through with that.

Though it would be fun to be on GAF if Microsoft sticks with it.

lol@ all the people making decisions without even knowing 100 percent what microsoft is doing, it's like all the negative rumors are facts, I'll just wait and see myself but either way I'm still getting both no console is "Dead" to me.

lol@ all the people making decisions without even knowing 100 percent what microsoft is doing, it's like all the negative rumors are facts, I'll just wait and see myself but either way I'm still getting both no console is "Dead" to me.

As stated, Edge's predictions so far are all spot on, and they're the ones that got the anti-used, anti-online scoop for MS. And why would I give MS the benefit of the doubt anyway? They've shitted on their consumers these past few years.

Ding-Ding

Great news. Not stoping used game was good, having an offline mode even better.

If rumours are true regarding durango, then its going to be a one console generation for me and MS can go jump off a cliff

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 does everything good what Durango is doing wrong if rumors are true :lol

sony had the same rumors going against them aswell, seriously everyone stop with the xbox bashing on shit rumors that so far are proving false.

Ding-Ding

sony had the same rumors going against them aswell, seriously everyone stop with the xbox bashing on shit rumors that so far are proving false.

No, the rumours lined up against Sony were actually internet user created. It was very much "If MS do that, so will Sony"

The rumours regarding Durango though, are from people within or associated with the industry

mclem

How much are antisocial people paying for all the social features they don't want to use?

(I jest, somewhat; the social features were by some margin the most interesting part of last night's presentation for me)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
No, the rumours lined up against Sony were actually internet user created. It was very much "If MS do that, so will Sony"

The rumours regarding Durango though, are from people within or associated with the industry

no sony has patients down about anti used games even have something built into the disc so it cannot be used in another system.

Slygmous

This will be the first generation I won't own a XBOX...

PS4:
Can play in internet outage
Can rent games or share them with friends

Xbox:
Always online DRM
No used games

If these rumors are true, there will be no nextbox for me.

I'm beginning to lean in this direction too, and I've been rather loyal to MS. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the rumours are true and if they can try to match Sony in content and power, but I have my doubts seeing how the 360 ended up.

Still waiting to see if the PS4 still has free online though, has this been brought up yet?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I'm beginning to lean in this direction too, and I've been rather loyal to MS. I guess we'll have to wait and see if the rumours are true and if they can try to match Sony in content and power, but I have my doubts seeing how the 360 ended up.

Still waiting to see if the PS4 still has free online though, has this been brought up yet?

yea he dodged question

Eurogamer: Yes, I imagine he's very busy at this point... Are you going to change the way that you do PSN so there's a subscription multiplayer service like Xbox Live? Because that's the rumour today.

Shuhei Yoshida We are still working on service plans or features so we are not ready to talk about that yet.

How much are antisocial people paying for all the social features they don't want to use?

If the rumors of gaikai being behind the same paywall as PS+ then alot of ppl will be subsidizing the service and not being able to make use of it (my country sucks, bandwidth caps, don't live near server, lag etc.) free money for Sony.

Az

So I just read we can play used games, we don't have to be online. Now just tell us it's still free for basic online and we should have no issues.

ibun

"Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

no i get call anti social just because i dont want to play online or get stuff downloaded except demos?

sorry but thats a bit harsh. if beeing social means, posting uninteressting stuff on facebook nobody cares for, so friends youve never seen and spamm twitter with answers to questions non has asked, pestering the web with a bazzillion pictures , streaming videos of you dancing to some game music... well i am glad to be anti social then.

PS4 not requiring internet connection is good, but all these "social gaming" I think that this requirement is shifted to the games for now. It is important to sell the console itself without binding it but with the games binding it the result is pretty much the same.
I fear the social games and the "support your friends during their SP" stuff will turn these into FarmVille clones where you have to collect friends instead of items and harass and guilt trip them to sending you these items.

Oemenia

Banned
I play games 10-20 hours a week and only have a few friends on my lists. Truth is, some people are just interested in the gaming side.

No anti-used game DRM: check
No always online DRM: check
No paywall for online multiplayer: ???
Region free: ???

If I get to check off all four boxes, then I will put the PS4 in priority over the Xbox 3. (Of course, I probably won't buy it for ages because of lack of money, but still)

Amir0x

Banned
i can. BELIEVE.

I can't even believe... maybe by the end of the gen it'll drive down DDR5 prices enough that lower prices for that sort of RAM will be possible in the future, but at the start?

oh, we fucked. Seems like another Blu-Ray situation, "get a second job", only without the added benefit of trying to get a foothold in another industry format.

We'll see though. God, if it comes in at $399.99 with 8GB DDR5 it'll be revelatory.

Kyoufu

Nice, but I'm worried about Region Lock. Shuhei's answer made it sound like it's going to be region locked.... :(

Used games allowed? CHECK!
No need to always be online? CHECK!
Region free? ???

Come on Sony, make it three for three!

B-b-b-but everyone said if MS does it then Sony has to, too.

I can't even believe... maybe by the end of the gen it'll drive down DDR5 prices enough that lower prices for that sort of RAM will be possible in the future, but at the start?

oh, we fucked. Seems like another Blu-Ray situation, "get a second job", only without the added benefit of trying to get a foothold in another industry format.

We'll see though. God, if it comes in at $399.99 with 8GB DDR5 it'll be revelatory.

I swear, it's like reading the old NGP threads again.

DBT85

Some of the more technical folk were suggesting that they'll go with GDDR5 at launch for the bandwidth and when stacking becomes a viable option in the next 12-18 months with DDR4 will switch to that to save money, heat, power and motherboard complexity while still maintaining that bandwidth.

If that is the case I look forward to the "PS4 RAM downgraded from DDr5 to DDR4" posts.

Also they are probably going to be buying more GDDR5 ram chips than any one customer in history which I imagine gets you a discount.

Top Bottom