• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 EU Launch apps: Netflix after all, 18 in total

kyser73

Netflix being at launch also means I'll have 70% less laughing from said wife about the PS4's media playback stuff.

Since I told her the 4 'might not have netflix' she's been mocking me.

No Crunchyroll or YouTube?

At least there's Netflix and Viaplay, and:
All of the services listed below can be enjoyed without subscribing to PlayStation Plus.

That's good. Not requiring PS+ for Viaplay like on the PS3.

waypoetic

Banned
Video Unlimited not available for any Scandinavian country :)
That service will never be available here... So much for nothing Sony, you announced it back in 2008 and it still isn't out in all of Europe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
assuming the early 2014 apps will be the likes of crackle etc - the usual PS3 suspects.

I do hope Sony push harder with the media apps on PS4 eventually.

At least Ntetflix and iPlayer are there. Just give me Youtube and 4OD and I'm done. They have just replied to a post on the blog saying another 20+ apps will be available between now and Spring 2014 so we'll see what happens

Daante

So it will NOT be possible to watch TWITCH streams since no twitch app is there?

I mean streams that NOT are PS4 gameplay, like the Dreamhack Vinter SC2 tournament.

falconzss

I don't even want to know what Germany gets.

• Music Unlimited (UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and New Zealand)
  • Video Unlimited (Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK)
  • IGN (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Qatar, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, UK)
  • BBC iPlayer (UK)
  • VidZone (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK)
  • Amazon/LOVEFiLM (Germany, UK)
  • Netflix (Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, UK)
  • BBC Sports (UK)
  • BBC News (UK)
  • Wuaki.tv (Spain)
  • Total Channel (Spain)
  • Demand5 (UK)
  • Maxdome (Germany, Austria)
  • RTBF (Belgium)
  • NOS Sports (Netherlands)
  • Ximon (Belgium, Netherlands)
  • Watchever (Germany)
  • Viaplay (Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden)

54-46!

So what kind of policies do Sony have with apps? similar to indie games? would love to see "smaller" VOD services like SVT Play on PS4.

DiGiKerot

No Crunchyroll or YouTube?

Given how the press-releases of the Sony-owned Animax service is claiming their forthcoming Playstation apps will be the only dedicated anime streaming service on the Playstation platform, at least for the UK, I'm thinking there's political shenanigans going on preventing Crunchy from launching in Europe.

bjaelke

Video Unlimited not available for any Scandinavian country :)
That service will never be available here... So much for nothing Sony, you announced it back in 2008 and it still isn't out in all of Europe.

Viaplay > Video Unlimited.

sports streaming

Coen

Hmm, I wonder if my PS4 will have any trouble with my PSN account. Back when I bought my PS3 and created my PSN account, I still lived with my parents in Holland. I have since moved to Belgium (just 50km southwards btw) but Sony won't let me change my country of residence. Not sure how Sony will handle their country-specific services this time around.

calder

Thx for info, i wonder though how buggy the browser is.. , and how well it handles video stream pages like Twitch

I watched a few hours of the Redbull Battlegrounds on Twitch through the PS4 browser. Worked just fine, able to log into the site and full screen (quality was only source, seemed to be 720p but bitrate was only decent) without any issue. The PS4 web browser takes a bit of getting used to though, not sure I like its layout as much as the PS3 yet but it unsurprisingly performs a lot better.

Fredrik

So... in Sweden we'll get:

Music Unlimited
IGN
Vidzone
Netflix
Viaplay

Not enough, but kind of expected I guess.

Bradf50

Pleasantly surprised with the apps the UK get. Plus the 20+ coming between now and spring. If Sony deliver on this it makes me confident for the future of apps on the PS4.

Got the essentials I need on the 29th though, although Twitch, Youtube, ITV Player, 4OD, Sky Go, Spotify and Crunchy roll would be the icing on the cake!

Sad to hear about some other countries though regarding lack of apps.

Given how the press-releases of the Sony-owned Animax service is claiming their forthcoming Playstation apps will be the only dedicated anime streaming service on the Playstation platform, at least for the UK, I'm thinking there's political shenanigans going on preventing Crunchy from launching in Europe.

Right. Seeing how Video Unlimited is yet to be launched here I got no hope of Animax.

JP

It's good that the UK is finally getting Video Unlimited. I'm hoping that I'll still be able to use apps like Hulu from the USA Store though.

Have we seen the PS4 iPlayer yet by any chance? Just wondering if it's the same as on PS3 or redone.

Really love the one on PS3 personally.

Maybe Vulcan meant Touch of Frost?

I got them well confused alright. Dunno how I managed it since Frost hasn't been on for ages... bit of an illogical moment for me there ;)

Top Bottom