• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

I'm pretty sure that those who bring up 'ps4 has no gamez' do it as they don't have any objective facts to use to shit on the ps4 and thus want to bring the argument towards the subjective,which is opinion based and easier to argue.

Well you point out to these people it actually has much more games than the others. Probably more titles than the other two combined getting released each month. Then the argument changes to 'it doesn't have great exclusives'. When you point to Resogun, Helldivers as well as the AAA exclusives, you're told these inexplicably, somehow, don't count.

So the qualifiers to the claim the PS4 has no games are so restricting it becomes a worthless argument.

Yes, we all know that a few big exclusive PS4 titles haven't reviewed well, and I'd like that to improve (if only to silence a few trolls), but lets wait for Bloodborne to drop at least, and then the titles that are coming for the rest of the year.

Elfstruck

Since Launch?

It did drop the price recently, but at the same time, the Xone has been doing a alot better sales wise vs. the PS4 since then.

I'm not really sure how well you remember the PS1, PS2 era. Exclusive content was a much bigger deal then than it is today, so i'm not sure what your point is.

That was back when games like Metal Gear, GTA, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy were still Sony exclusives.

It was common back then for games to come out on one console first, and then not hit the other consoles for years if at all.

The GCN version of Soul Calibur 2 was the best selling just because you could play as Link. etc.

And the X360 wasn't even a market leader...

Yes, xbox one did do better during Nov and Dec. But what next? They lost Jan, and probably for the next 9 months. Im pretty sure Sony will not let MS runs wild in Nov and Dec like last year though.

N.Domixis

Banned
Yes, xbox one did do better during Nov and Dec. But what next? They lost Jan, and probably for the next 9 months. Im pretty sure Sony will not let MS runs wild in Nov and Dec like last year though.

Xbox one has won only 3 months out of 16 months. Every other month was ps4.

source? because quite frankly I don't believe it.

Well of course there's a source,Microsoft? i mean if they're doing as well as some people thing they'd be updating us on their sold through numbers on a regular basis wouldn't they!

Now where are those numbers.....

Moze

Banned
Are people really happy with Sony's output for the PS4? It has been nothing but mediocre game after mediocre game imo. Hopefully they will improve and go back to how they were in the PS3 days, but right now i am not happy with my PS4 at all.

Well you point out to these people it actually has much more games than the others. Probably more titles than the other two combined getting released each month. Then the argument changes to 'it doesn't have great exclusives'. When you point to Resogun, Helldivers as well as the AAA exclusives, you're told these inexplicably, somehow, don't count.

So the qualifiers to the claim the PS4 has no games are so restricting it becomes a worthless argument.

Yes, we all know that a few big exclusive PS4 titles haven't reviewed well, and I'd like that to improve (if only to silence a few trolls), but lets wait for Bloodborne to drop at least, and then the titles that are coming for the rest of the year.

I am not one of those ''indie games lol'' guys, i love indie games, but most good indie games can be played on a pretty basic laptop. You don't need a PS4 or gaming PC to play Hotline Miami 2 or other games like it.

Darklord

Banned
At the risk of starting another listwar, I have to ask. What are the 27 games? What's the comparison in review scores? The person you were responding to was claiming that Sony published games have been a disappointment. And some certainly have been mediocre. So how do the numbers stack up? How do Sony published games do review-wise?

Edit: Just above me now he's claiming they're shallow, forgettable and nothing of substance.

I found 16, not 27 on Wikipedia unless he's counting games like Borderlands 2 on Vita. I'm counting PS4.

Retail
Destiny (Co-published with Activision in Japan only)
Driveclub
Infamous Second Son
LittleBigPlanet 3
Minecraft
MLB 14: The Show (Retail version in North America, digital download only in PAL)
SingStar: Ultimate Party[5] (PAL only)
The Last of Us Remastered

PSN
CounterSpy
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Entwined
Hohokum
Infamous First Light (Retail version in PAL only)
Killzone: Shadow Fall Intercept (Standalone version)
SingStar
The Unfinished Swan

What gets me is the people here whining about how it's unfair due to the game library. Well face it. People outside the Internet like different things - most of them being the annualized franchises.

Saying the library is abysmal at this point is just ignorant.
I DON'T LIKE THOSE GAMES SO THEY DON'T COUNT.

nib95

Banned
Umm I specifically said first party? I own a PS4 and it was my first next-gen console. I own all 3 and a gaming PC. I'm talking about Sony, the company, seriously dropping the ball on releasing quality titles on their platform. Even the games they've put out are shallow, forgettable games that look pretty. Nothing of substance.

Maybe you just have very specific and limited taste?

Steroyd

I'm not really sure how well you remember the PS1, PS2 era. Exclusive content was a much bigger deal then than it is today, so i'm not sure what your point is.

That was back when games like Metal Gear, GTA, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy were still Sony exclusives.

Yeah and those biggest draws are all third party productions which are still on PlayStation* The appeal of console's hasn't changed, they're just available on other consoles now.

*lol Tomb Raider lol

Toki767

I found 16, not 27 on Wikipedia unless he's counting games like Borderlands 2 on Vita. I'm counting PS4.

Retail
Driveclub
Infamous Second Son
LittleBigPlanet 3
Minecraft
MLB 14: The Show (Retail version in North America, digital download only in PAL)

PSN
CounterSpy
Entwined
Hohokum
SingStar
The Unfinished Swan

Well Sony did publish a few Vita games. That is probably the last few you're missing.

But none of those games count because reasons.

Are people really happy with Sony's output for the PS4? It has been nothing but mediocre game after mediocre game imo. Hopefully they will improve and go back to how they were in the PS3 days, but right now i am not happy with my PS4 at all.
Yes, I actually enjoy playing good games, so liked their output. Especially Driveclub, one of the best racers in years.

And including Order 1886, because I like a cinematic game every now and then. Not every game has to be artsy or open world.

If you think all these games are mediocore, I would like to know what is "good" in your opionion, because all the games are pretty different.

Alo0oy

Banned
At the risk of starting another listwar, I have to ask. What are the 27 games? What's the comparison in review scores? The person you were responding to was claiming that Sony published games have been a disappointment. And some certainly have been mediocre. So how do the numbers stack up? How do Sony published games do review-wise?

Edit: Just above me now he's claiming they're shallow, forgettable and nothing of substance.

I'm on my phone right now, but you can find a list of Sony published games in multiple places like metacritic or wikipedia.

& how those games review means nothing, Destiny didn't review well yet its PS4 bundle broke September NPD records & a lot of people loved that game, did you hear how many people cheered every time Destiny was mentioned on PSX? Reviews are irrelevant to the Mass Market.

Darklord

Banned
But none of those games count because reasons.

Because we're talking about PS4? That's a pretty good reason. And don't tell me you look at that list and think it's amazing quality. Most are "ok" at best, broken at worst, and the best by far is a PS3 remastering. This isn't the first year of the PS4. We should be in prime new IP titles by now. And yes, I'm looking at XB1 saying that too.

Toki767

Because we're talking about PS4? That's a pretty good reason. And don't tell me you look at that list and think it's amazing quality. Most are "ok" at best, broken at worst, and the best by far is a PS3 remastering. This isn't the first year of the PS4. We should be in prime new IP titles by now. And yes, I'm looking at XB1 saying that too.

What...the PS4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013. Last year was absolutely the first year of both systems. What are you talking about?

What game of that list is broken? If you mean Driveclub, you should come out of your cave. The game was working in SP since the launch day and 4-6 weeks after launch even the MP worked pretty much flawless (which is NOT acceptable, but it is working for many months now). Still calling it broken is pure trolling at this point, sorry.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The non core PS4 owners didn't buy it for exclusives, they got it for GTA5, Fifa, etc.

The good news for Sony is, greatness awaits in terms of exclusives. Their system sellers have yet to come and they are already selling systems as if they didn't need exclusives.

Loudninja

I am not one of those ''indie games lol'' guys, i love indie games, but most good indie games can be played on a pretty basic laptop. You don't need a PS4 or gaming PC to play Hotline Miami 2 or other games like it.
Yep,I enjoyed Killzone and Knack,I love Driveclub and Infamous I loving the Order 1886 right now.

Thats just how it is.

CozMick

Banned
Chû Totoro;154535506 said:
I hope it's 20.2 million happy owners... mine is a Blu-Ray player.
I'm never buying the PS5 first year... maybe not even 2nd.

An avatar quote would be far too easy.

Conduit

Banned

Yes, i am!

Vroadstar

Gold Member

Statistically speaking I guess your opinion is on the losing side

Chû Totoro;154535506 said:
I hope it's 20.2 million happy owners... mine is a Blu-Ray player.
I'm never buying the PS5 first year... maybe not even 2nd.

Then you should sell it. How anyone can say something like this is beyond me. There are games for EVERY gerne on the PS4, most of them high quality.
Seriously, some people on here just hate gaming I think.

Could the exclusives be better? Sure.

However, between PS+ games and the games I've bought, there's more games than I have time for, and I've been largely enjoying my time.

Broken? No title on that list is broken as far as I know. Looking at the rest of the list LBP3, i:SS, i:FL and MLB are more than "ok."

pLow7

It's selling 20 Millions without MGS,Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy!

Really, i don't know whats gonna happen when they release. At least Japan will explode (hopefully).

Darklord

Banned
What...the PS4 and Xbox One launched in November 2013. Last year was absolutely the first year of both systems. What are you talking about?

My mistake, I was getting my dates mixed up. Still, by the end of 2013 both should have been releasing some new, awesome shit but quality has slumped so heavily this generation.

What game of that list is broken? If you mean Driveclub, you should come out of your cave. The game was working in SP since the launch day and 4-6 weeks after launch even the MP worked pretty much flawless (which is NOT acceptable, but it is working for many months now). Still calling it broken is pure trolling at this point, sorry.

Driveclub was a horrendous launch. You can't sugar coat it. You couldn't even create a drive club in drive club it was so broken and there's still no PS+ version is out. It's not trolling at all. That launch will go down as one of the most broken launches next to Sim City and Battlefield 4.

I also heard LBP3 was totally busted at launch.

Melchiah

Yes, very much so. I've played and enjoyed all these games after the launch.

eQNpJTB.jpg

I just wish I had the time to play Alien and Mordor through.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So far i have Guilty Gear Xrd, CODAW, Wolfenstein, TRDE, Farcry 4, GTA5, TWDS1-2, REmake, Alien Isolation, Dying Light, Watch Dogs, Driveclub, Infamous Second Son/First Light, Shadow of Mordor, LBP3, Warframe, Diablo 3 and tons and tons of indies downloaded to my PS4.

What exactly is wrong with my choice in game outside of not hitting some completely arbitrary checklist for AAA exclusive first party game counts?

Moze

Banned
Yes, I actually enjoy playing good games, so liked their output. Especially Driveclub, one of the best racers in years.

And including Order 1886, because I like a cinematic game every now and then. Not every game has to be artsy or open world.

If you think all these games are mediocore, I would like to know what is "good" in your opionion, because all the games are pretty different.

I wasn't a fan of DriveClub at all. I played it after all the patches and found it basic. A pretty much non existent soundtrack, ridiculously small car list, no upgrade options and a boring single player. I completely agree with the reviewers on that game.

I have never played The Order and have no plans to. It looks like a generic cover shooter to me. I never said anything about open world. I generally dislike that genre.

What games do i like?
My favourite games from 2014:

Bayonetta 2
Mario Kart 8
Forza Horizon 2
Child of Light
Olli Olli

I also enjoyed The Evil Within, DKCTF and Sunset Overdrive.

My mistake, I was getting my dates mixed up. Still, by the end of 2013 both should have been releasing some new, awesome shit but quality has slumped so heavily this generation.
By the end of 2013? So two months after release?

I'm just going to assume you're mixing up dates again and meant 2014. So one year after launch. What did the PS3 and 360 have a year after launch?

Conduit

Banned
Driveclub was a horrendous launch. You can't sugar coat it. You couldn't even create a drive club in drive club it was so broken and there's still no PS+ version is out. It's not trolling at all. That launch will go down as one of the most broken launches next to Sim City and Battlefield 4.

Yes, you are! Driveclub as a game WAS NOT BROKEN, Online was! Broken game and broken online are two different things!

I also beard LBP3 was totally busted at launch.

And Halo:MCC? Still not working good, just FYI. Or does that not fit your argument? ;)

Driveclub had a horrendus launch, but like I said, SP worked fine from day1 and MP worked 4-6 weeks after launch. So the game works for what, 5-6 months now? Pretty sad if you still have to argue like that to badmouth the PS4 library. And how the PS+ version has ANYTHING to do with the quality of the game or the library is beyond me, but whatever fits your arguments.

LBP3 had some bigger bugs at launch, but I don't think it was "broken".

Alo0oy

Banned

Retail
Driveclub
Infamous Second Son
LittleBigPlanet 3
Minecraft

PSN
CounterSpy
Entwined
Hohokum
SingStar
The Unfinished Swan

I was counting all platforms for all three publishers, but I actually did not count Minecraft or Destiny, since those games legitimately don't count.

But thank you for expanding my point, Sony published more PS4 games than Nintendo on both Wii U AND 3DS, or MS on both Xbox One AND Windows Store.

Toki767

So 2 months after launch, you expected awesome stuff? Is this your first console generation transition?

d9b

Banned
This train. No stop. Can't see the competition anymore, they are so far behind even binoculars can't help.
Also, Bloodborne.

Clefargle

Bravo Sony, love the Ps4 so far. You guys really knocked it out of the galaxy with this one! At this rate you should be able to hit 100m within the generation. Good to see a console doing so well with all the doom and gloom naysayers about.

Top Bottom