• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't know what kind of games people were really expecting from Sony themselves to begin with considering they basically threw everything they had onto the tail end of PS3 generation in 2012/2013, so 2014 was going to be relatively lower key by default. Then we take into account that there are just less major productions coming out in general these days due to the collapse of the in between market and the conditions of many manufacturers.....

Then you should sell it. How anyone can say something like this is beyond me. There are games for EVERY gerne on the PS4, most of them high quality.
Seriously, some people on here just hate gaming I think.

I have PS+ so I'm still able to try some games, there is a few games I'm hoping won't disappoint me, my wife still want to play Singstar even if the songs she can't import all the songs from previous PSN store purchases and like I said it's my primary Blu-Ray player since PS3 is in a room and Xbox One well... I don't know I'd rather sell Xbox One than PS4 but Games for Gold and hope for better games since 2nd part of 2015 too.

I've already bought and sold systems but I know that I'll be tempted and I'll buy it again during the gen. It's just that I want to try a lot of games (even the ones I find not being the best in the genre) and I can buy a system for only one game.

I don't regret my purchase, PS4 is a good system, I just regret buying it too soon seeing there's good games for a lot of people but not for me. That doesn't make these games bad, they're just not for me. That's why I'm impressed by the hardware sales number.

At the end I'm just realizing I'm more and more in a tiny part of PS4/Xbox One audience.

Edit : Note that Resogun and Flower are my most played PS4 games... Peggle 2 my most played Xbox One game.

Game Guru

Guys... PS4 is selling well because it has the third-party multiplatforms in addition to niche Japanese third-parties, indie games, and finally Sony's first party. PS4 has a larger and more diverse game library than either Xbox One or Wii U.

And now it is outselling every console but the Wii and the PS2, which is a damn fine position for any console to be in given how popular both the Wii and the PS2 were, especially for a $400 console compared to PS2's $300 and Wii's $250. Much like the PS2 and the Wii, it cannot be denied that PS4 is the hit console of its generation.

Kosma

Banned
I don't know what kind of games people were really expecting from Sony themselves to begin with considering they basically threw everything they had onto the tail end of PS3 generation in 2012/2013, so 2014 was going to be relatively lower key by default. Then we take into account that there are just less major productions coming out in general these days due to the collapse of the in between market and the conditions of many manufacturers.....

I think there was some pie chart that there is like only 25% retail releases now compared to a decade ago.

So 75% less "big" games.

I wasn't a fan of DriveClub at all. I played it after all the patches and found it basic. A pretty much non existent soundtrack, ridiculously small car list, no upgrade options and a boring single player. I completely agree with the reviewers on that game.

I have never played The Order and have no plans to. It looks like a generic cover shooter to me. I never said anything about open world. I generally dislike that genre.

Just because you don't like the games does not mean they are mediocore. I don't like any Halo game, but I know they are far from mediocore.

Blimey. I'm still finding this success level hard to believe. Good for them though. PS4 hasn't been my favourite so far but the upcoming year has me excited.

Kysen

All I know is that I have too much to play right now on ps4. Trying to get through GE2 before returning to DBZ, DQH, Xrd, both RE and DOA. All this before bloodborne, senran, ff0 and d5 this month.

Conduit

Banned
Well, at VGchartzzz! LOL!

YPYmP9I.png

I own an Xbone and a Wii U and while I made my choice based on controller preference. I don't think the difference in retail libraries is that large. Even if the gap is digitally, Microsoft seems to have been making an effort to close the indie gap rather recently.

Certain parts of Sony's marketing campaign seem like snake oil to me but people clearly have other opinions here.

Toki767

All I know is that I have too much to play right now on ps4. Trying to get through GE2 before returning to DBZ, DQH, Xrd, both RE and DOA. All this before bloodborne, senran, ff0 and d5 this month.

Those games don't count. The hell are you talking about man? :p

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Chû Totoro;154535506 said:
I hope it's 20.2 million happy owners... mine is a Blu-Ray player.
I'm never buying the PS5 first year... maybe not even 2nd.

I'm glad to know you are one of the 20.2 million happy owners using it as a Blu-Ray player. One reason I haven't bought a Wii-U is because I can't use it as Blu-Ray or even a DVD player.

Suzzopher

I own an Xbone and a Wii U and while I made my choice based on controller preference. I don't think the difference in retail libraries is that large. Even if the gap is digitally, Microsoft seems to have been making an effort to close the indie gap rather recently.

Certain parts of Sony's marketing campaign seem like snake oil to me but people clearly have other opinions here.

image.php

Melchiah

I'll bite, what parts?

Koh

I'm astonished people aren't satisfied with their PS4. It had completely eclipsed my PS3 even though both are connected. The exclusives are great, especially infamous and first light. The multiplats are better than the previous gen.

I don't think it's fair to compare the crown jewel of TLOU to the PS4 output this far. That was years in the making and potentially the best of the entire gen. I certainly didn't expect anything to rival it within the first year. Perhaps this year, certainly by next year.

Congratulations i guess. Still don´t get why it´s selling so much. Most unappealing hardware/software combo for me personaly since i started gaming.

nib95

Banned
Yep,I enjoyed Killzone and Knack,I love Driveclub and Infamous I loving the Order 1886 right now.

Thats just how it is.

List (not war) time lol. Sony published games (ignoring other multi platform and third party titles, plus console exclusives for 'reasons' lol) which I think are worth a purchase or play.

Driveclub
Infamous Second Son
LittleBigPlanet 3
The Last of Us Remastered
Flower
Fl0w
Resogun
The Order 1886
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Hohokum
Infamous First Light
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Sound Shapes
Super Stardust Ultra
PixelJunk Shooter
The Unfinished Swan
Velocity 2X
Helldivers
And MLB The Show if you like baseball

Not the best list in the world, but still fairly solid overall, with a lot more around the corner. I think mileage will vary depending on how specific or narrow certain people's tastes are.

I think what helps the PS4 a great deal is Playstation Plus, which offers a constant stream of gaming content, in genre's that one might not ordinarily experiment with. I think 6 or more of the games in my list above were actually free with PS+, which is great and something I'm sure many other consumers see value in.

Didn't Sony say that half of all PS4 owners have PS+? That's a lot of people with a lot of potential free games to play.

Moze

Banned
Just because you don't like the games does not mean they are mediocore. I don't like any Halo game, but I know they are far from mediocore.

I can enjoy a game and find it pretty mediocre. I am currently enjoying Resident Evil Revelations 2, but would not at all argue with anyone calling it mediocre. I will probably not remember Resident Evil Revelations 2 in 2 years.

Would you agree that DriveClub, The Order and Infamous have a lot in common with other games that are universally considered mediocre?

So much bitterness, sarcasm, disappointment and disbelief in every PS4 sales thread. Such fun reads. It's amazing that people still react to this way to each announcement.

Inuhanyou

All i know is, if P5 comes around, people don't buy it and then still complain about nothing worthwhile on PS4, i'm smashing some heads

GeoramA

It's remarkable how some people actually convinced themselves that PS4 doesn't deserve its success.

For me, it has made gaming awesome again and I always have games to play on it. Just finished Grim Fandango last night, about to check out some PS+ freebies like Apotheon and Oddworld New n Tasty.

So far i have Guilty Gear Xrd, CODAW, Wolfenstein, TRDE, Farcry 4, GTA5, TWDS1-2, REmake, Alien Isolation, Dying Light, Watch Dogs, Driveclub, Infamous Second Son/First Light, Shadow of Mordor, LBP3, Warframe, Diablo 3 and tons and tons of indies downloaded to my PS4.

What exactly is wrong with my choice in game outside of not hitting some completely arbitrary checklist for AAA exclusive first party game counts?

There's some great games both first and third party. I think some people are expecting a "revolutionary next-gen title" that won't happen.

mike4001_

as if xbox is over 10m sold. Also, they are actually pretty close with ps4 estimates now, unlike earlier.

Xbox one was around 10 mio sold trough mid november before christmas ...

they should be around 11 bis 12 Mio. by now (christmas time + Jan + Feb)

Toki767

Xbox one was around 10 mio sold trough mid november before christmas ...

they should be around 11 bis 12 Mio. by now (christmas time + Jan + Feb)

No. They announced they would be shortly hitting 10 million consoles shipped mid November. Not that they sold 10 million. We haven't gotten sell through data from them in a long time.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So, your opinion for game you didn't touch is what reviewers say about the game? Your statement about those games can't be valid. PS4 has great games since launch, i played about 90% of exclusives. You should try Driveclub or at least, read the opinions in the official thread. You should try The Order! You should try Guilty Gear. As long your opinion is based on reviews..... NO. They won't judge what i must play.

Games are very expensive where I live unfortunately and no, we don't have Gamestop here so no rental either, hahaha, so sorry, but I can't just "try" games.

So yes, I do have to, to certain extent, depend on reviewers to gauge games. There are certain games that I'll get no matter what everyone says, stuff like say, Persona 5, but for the most part I need to be careful and to that end reviews can be very helpful.

And I also have specifically stated in my first post here that this is just my opinion. So far, I am liking my PS3 way more than I like my PS4. I am sure that'll change when games like Persona 5 or Mass Effect 4 come out, however.

And about DriveClub... like I said, I am indifferent towards racing games.

Melchiah

I can enjoy a game and find it pretty mediocre. I am currently enjoying Resident Evil Revelations 2, but would not at all argue with anyone calling it mediocre. I will probably not remember Resident Evil Revelations 2 in 2 years.

Would you agree that DriveClub, The Order and Infamous have a lot in common with other games that are universally considered mediocre?

Driveclub has a lot in common with WipEout HD. Both are very challenging old school racing games, with basic features, fancy graphics and fine-tuned gameplay, that you either love or hate. I guess in the current climate DC was just too old school (and unforgiving) for many. After all, one of the complaints was that it didn't have a rewind feature, for crying out loud.

Mendax

No. They announced they would be shortly hitting 10 million consoles shipped mid November. Not that they sold 10 million. We haven't gotten sell through data from them in a long time.

yes indeed, and considering how stuffed shops and warehouses have been since before then it's unlikely that they have sold through those 10m.

d9b

Banned
And we won't see official data form Microsoft any time soon, considering PS4 crossed the 20m milestone. It would be just embarrassing (and bad PR).

BTW this is interesting as January+February in USA will probably be in 500k range total (I'm guessing February) and yet Sony sold 1700k consoles in those two months so USA is less than 1/3 of total sales for PS4.

Alo0oy

Banned

Japanese games don't count because only moes play them. DUH. Obviously if a Japanese game like D4 releases on Xbox it counts as 10 games because it's very rare to see Japanese games on Xbox, & rare game release > common game release, that's why diamonds are expensive, they're very rare, just like how Japanese games on Xbox are rare.

/s

despire

It's almost as if people are doing the wrong thing buying a PS4.

Well they should've bought Xbox One, the All-in-one Entertainment System(TM) because apparently it has more exclusives and Good Guy Microsoft is keeping Sony from turning into Arrogant Sony.

freefornow

Gold Member
Didn't Sony say that half of all PS4 owners have PS+? That's a lot of people with a lot of potential free games to play.

I wonder how that breaks down. Eg: How many of those are "free 1 month with x", purchased 1 month sub, 3 month subs, 12 month sub etc.

Moze

Banned
Driveclub has a lot in common with WipEout HD. Both are very challenging old school racing games, with basic features, fancy graphics and fine-tuned gameplay, that you either love or hate. I guess in the current climate DC was just too old school (and unforgiving) for many. After all, one of the complaints was that it didn't have a rewind feature, for crying out loud.

DriveClub is nothing like Wipeout HD. Wipeout HD took insane dedication just to learn the basic mechanics. Having some unforgiving AI does not make DriveClub as deep as Wipeout HD. GT6 was an old school racing game and it done it well. DriveClub is not that. DriveClub is just boring and featureless.

d9b

Banned
I wonder how that breaks down. Eg: How many of those are "free 1 month with x", purchased 1 month sub, 3 month subs, 12 month sub etc.
There's no "free month with x"... There's free 14 days to try (per account) , and that's a one time offer. After that there's no more "free" PS+ ... So you can't use free promotions after that.

Inuhanyou

There's some great games both first and third party. I think some people are expecting a "revolutionary next-gen title" that won't happen.

Ah, the infamous "next gen gameplay" routine.

I think we should be counting our chickens that we even get great games coming down the pipe this year at all considering how precarious the industry has become

If they only sold 10m between now and the end of the year then something is broken.

There is Uncharted and Christmas as a bare minimum to bump sales.

This. Assumming 30 mil essentially says PS4 stays stagnant even throughout the holidays as well as any major game release boosts or pricedrops that may occur. I think 30 mil before January 1st is playing it safe

Isn't EQN also a 2015 release? Or is that just speculation

There is no longer an SOE...also, that project might be dead...

Top Bottom