• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

goonergaz

This is kind of it for me. My laptop is perfectly capable of playing a lot of games but I never feel like it's worth the effort. I play 2D games on it a lot, I have Steam and Origin, but it's not my primary game system. It has very specfic uses, mostly anything like RTS or Rollercoaster Tycoon and the like. I literally cannot use a keyboard and mouse for FPS, it just feels weird but not all games support controllers.

PC gaming isn't for me and the same would be true of a lot of people.

The enthusiast market will always talk of 4k at 120fps or whatever, but that's not the entire PC market, the larger market playing games on PC are probably running at sub-console resolutions and framerates or playing the "casual" games. PC is a wide term and not everyone buys into the enthusiast rhetoric.

This + exclusives.

I have a PC for Homeworld & Dayz...and anything else that's exclusive that I fancy playing (not much)

Javin98

Banned
Holy shit, some pretty incredible sales from the PS4. Looks like my prediction was right, assuming this number was taken at the end of February. Damn, 1.7 million in 2 of the slowest months of the year is just great.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
That is an impressive number. What is intriguing to me is how everywhere except the US, the PS4 is running largely unopposed. Microsoft and Nintendo both have been left in the dust this generation which is largely due to bad PR and weaker hardware.

GlamFM

Banned
Never underestimate the power of convenience - especially as you are getting older.

At 36 with wife and kid there is just no way I will get back into PC gaming.

Also: Why is this thread about PC vs. PS4 anyway?

To be fair, he didnt say that you were bitter, only that you sounded bitter.

To be fair again, you made the claim about €400 PC, while no one denied (at least from what i've read) that PS+ can add to the total cost of the PS4. You also get games with a PS+ subscription, but how much people will value these things is of course a subjective thing. If someone only wants to play online and dont care about the games at all, its a worse value. But for those who care about the games that are being offered, it could be seen as a good or great value. For people who dont care about either online play or getting the games, they dont need to subscribe to PS+. It is something that will variate from person to person.

PC has a lot of great things going for it. Price is fair/good, you can customize it a lot, you can run basically every program that you want on it, a lot more powerful hardware is available, it has a lot of exclusive games etc.. Many people will still see a console as a great piece of gaming equipment and find much value in it.

Good post.
I am back to work guys, have fun.

Consoles dying confirmed.

Glorious news. Well done Sony, hope things keep getting better.

It will, 2015 and 2016 are going to be huge for sales. We still don't have a GT, Uncharted, GoW, Metal Gear, FF, etc.

Because you cannot have a console sales thread without salt from individuals just shocked that someone would buy a console that they aren't interested in.

I am a little salty... I'll admit it. I bought PS4 and got dealt bullshit like Watchdogs and Unity lol. I've still had a lot of fun with it and I've already clocked up 20 hours on DBZ Xenoverse, but that said I was hoping for a little more, I reckon it'll come good this year though... Fingers crossed
It's your fault for letting yourself fall for the Ubisoft hype train. If you wanted, say, an open world game set in a modern city (that ain't GTAV) you should've been playing Infamous Second Son, not Watch Dogs!

Melchiah

Funny how i get called out on pc specs i didnt even want to post in the first place but no one counts a more or less mandatory 5+ years of PSPlus into their pricetag for a playstation. ^^

Then why make that kind of an absurd claim about the entry cost in the first place?

As for PS+, it isn't mandatory, unlike many of the parts and OS that were excluded from your PC build. I personally subscribe to PS+ mostly for the monthly games. If it just were for online play I probably wouldn't pay for it, as I don't play online very often.

GrayDock

Grats Sony and here's hoping for a thriving game market in the future, and not console only, but PC too.

\OT
Salt aside, the PC "problem" is it's "stigma" of being difficult to play games. Thank W95 vs PSX/SS/N64 for that.

MS and/or Valve/Steam among others should spent some money to advertise the easyness to play with PC nowadays, but I can't see that happening.
OT\

On Demand

Banned
A lot of angry people in this thread.

You know it's just hate when PS4 having no games is still mentioned. There's so much exclusive software coming this year. 3rd party games exist too in case anyone forgot.

Never underestimate the power of convenience - especially as you are getting older.

i play on both a lot and i think PC is more convinient with steam and everything.

but it's basically the same.

Mendax

because news like this boggles the minds of pc elitists..

Elixist

wSvoup5.gif

Shengar

The bitterness is coming almost exclusively from holier-than-thou PC enthusiasts. Not just on NeoGAF either, any conversation about consoles across the web will always have at least one PC gamer piping on about how he doesn't see 'what's so special' about consoles.
Interceptor isn't PC enthusiast though, more of a Nintendo fanboy than PC gamer.

Cipherr

Sony outchea getting reaquianted with their golden days. Going to be a fantastic gen for them, and they have earned it with their hardware and pricing too. Having them dominate this gen will send the right message and we shouldn't ever get that bullshit MS tried to pull ever again.

All dat salt
Giving me life

tumblr_nf2d9enldi1s02vreo1_400.gif

Scust. Jesus where do you all get this stuff.
2jxx4YV.png

goonergaz

Nail on head - I used to spend ages tweaking my PC to get a couple extra fps - these days I'm lucky to get 5 hours a week gaming...and that market is growing as everyone get's older, I started playing games when it was considered a geeky thing to do, so I see more people going 'softercore' from PC into console and also some who got a Wii going a little more 'hardcore' into PS4/XBO.

So when do you guys think a price-drop is happening?

Everyone assumes $50 announcement at E3, dropping the price to $349. But I think Sony is going to ride the $399 train all the way until holiday season, then cut $100 off to $299, to absolutely mercy kill the competition off.

I also think this is how it will go down. No need to drop the price until then, especially when the Xbox price drop has lost most of its momentum.

Vroadstar

:D Begging for bans now? Glorious. He doesn't own a ps4 and refuses to see the value?
Ban him!

Pathetic.

I suggested to report you to mods because you are adding nothing worthwhile in this thread, but somehow it's called begging to you. Talk about pathetic.

So I guess you are scared being banned then, because you will lose another reason to use your pc : )

deadduck

My PC graphics card cost as much as my PS4, yeah you can build something cheap, but 9/10 you wont and it wont be the last you spend on it either.

I simply prefer playing on console.

kswiston

Grats Sony and here's hoping for a thriving game market in the future, and not console only, but PC too.

\OT
Salt aside, the PC "problem" is it's "stigma" of being difficult to play games. Thank W95 vs PSX/SS/N64 for that.

MS and/or Valve/Steam among others should spent some money to advertise the easyness to play with PC nowadays, but I can't see that happening.
OT\

Games already make a ton of money on PC. It just so happens that a large portion of that money is going towards genres that don't traditionally play well on consoles (MMOs, MOBAs and other strategy titles, F2P games of all genres).

People who want to play console-style games will continue to prefer consoles, leading to AAA console releases pushing most of their units on PS4/XB1. Nothing wrong with that.

It's your fault for letting yourself fall for the Ubisoft hype train. If you wanted, say, an open world game set in a modern city (that ain't GTAV) you should've been playing Infamous Second Son, not Watch Dogs!

Inafamous was my second game after Killzone :)

Bought GTA too lol.

Darklord

Banned
Do you know what means ONLINE WAS BROKEN!? Online has nothing to do with SP component. Offline components worked perfectly since day 1, really no bugs. So, game was not broken! ONLINE WAS for about month and half!
Battlefield 4 SP campaign worked since day one, ONLINE was broken. AC Unity....well, that's a broken game. I erased that game after some patches because it was broken. I don't know how this game work today after all these patches.

So it was broken but not broken enough to be classified as broken?

2pxugop.jpg

Vroadstar

I couldn't agree more, nowadays I use my PC mainly just for work but I do play games on it from time to time, just finished Ryse recently.

Because someone's PC is full of salt : )

AmFreak

If his build, well the three parts listed, are from 13 months ago, they've been bought in January/February 2014. Whereas Gamespot's 494-508€ builds, both of which had less RAM, were from April 2014. That's not a huge difference.

This is a post from me back in 2013 before the consoles even launched:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85031761&postcount=845

Sameish but stronger cpu and a much stronger gpu.
It even had a Blu-Ray drive.
Sad thing is that you get less today for the same money.

kiguel182

19.57 million shipped by Sep 2001

30 million shipped by May 2002

We didn't get sell-through for PS2, but based on that, I would guess that the PS2 hit 20M sold in November or December 2001.

So, the PS4 is tracking pretty much at the same pace as the PS2 without good japanese sales? Pretty impressive.

I don't think anyone was implying peasantry, and I think this is the wrong thread to advertise PC gaming, but I do think that the mass market carries many misconceptions about PC gaming which drive them towards consoles. My GF was legit surprised when I told her you could play PC games on the TV, with a controller. Even the Resident Evil: Revelations "co-op gate" thread here on GAF evoked similar responses.

I suppose a lot of PC gamers, myself included, are bitter about the PC platform being treated as the red-headed stepchild, despite its user base eclipsing the current gen consoles - and rightfully so. I mean, we still haven't gotten GTA V, for instance. PS4/XBO weren't even on the market when the game originally released, yet GTA V launched on those systems within a year. Very few publishers put sufficient amount of care into the products they do launch on PC, often leaving it to the community to bring their games up to par. It's not a reasonable situation.

How are the sales of the games compared to consoles. I dont belive GTA sells even close on PC if you compare it to console. The same can be said about PC centric games getting ported to consoles.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I am just a 90% PC gamer with a little Nintendo here and there nowadays. It´s just a little surprising to a console selling this much in 2015. The times of dedicated hardware and exclusive software seem long gone. No more superpowered consoles, just something a 400€ PC from 2014 can beat easily and the same software i get for cheap on steam.
I guess it´s cool to own a Playstation again.

Are you this ignorant? Do you really think it's easier to build a PC than it is to plug in and play a console? What is so difficult to understand? Not everyone carries your PC elitism, so having a console is perfectly fine.

GrayDock

Games already make a ton of money on PC. It just so happens that a large portion of that money is going towards genres that don't traditionally play well on consoles (MMOs, MOBAs and other strategy titles, F2P games of all genres).

People who want to play console-style games will continue to prefer consoles, leading to AAA console releases pushing most of their units on PS4/XB1. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure, I'm in this boat too. PC for me it's for SC, Civ and the like.
I used to play FPS on PC too, but when MoH on the PSX nailed the control scheme for FPS for the first time, I just went the easy way.

What I think that "hurts" the PC crowd it's the "I'm not talked about" feeling. You barely see anything PC gaming related outside the PC gaming sites, but you can see console talk almost anywhere.

Anyway there's market for any taste nowadays, and that's good.

Why? I think that would have a lesser effect than saving it for the holiday season. Plus I'm sure they want to maximize profits as long as possible.

I'm just thinking stock levels.

Cause a boost in the summer.

Then in the winter with the lower price and uncharted 4 should sell itself.

My worry would be if they do it all at the same time in the winter months up to Christmas is that stock levels couldn't be maintained.

Melchiah

This is a post from me back in 2013 before the consoles even launched:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85031761&postcount=845

Sameish but stronger cpu and a much stronger gpu.
It even had a Blu-Ray drive.
Sad thing is that you get less today for the same money.

Well, color me surprised, although Gamespot's builds did include OS and KB/M as well, with an additional cost of 72-101€. So, it would have cost 472-501€ in total.

I wager, that the parts Interceptor listed wouldn't fit the budget.

Honestly there really isn't a reason to drop the price right now. It is selling exceedingly well at $399, Sony would be leaving money on the table with a price drop. I highly doubt they will announce a price cut at E3. They would be better off tossing in a year of PS+ or some sort of bundle.

Joni

Announce the price drop at GamesCom, just after the dry July month and just before the onslaught of games starting the end of August. Has the bonus of getting people on Madden PS4 instead of Madden 360.

kswiston

Are you this ignorant? Do you really think it's easier to build a PC than it is to plug in and play a console? What is so difficult to understand? Not everyone carries your PC elitism, so having a console is perfectly fine.

Besides plug-and-play, the under $400-500 PC builds usually include a level of shopping around, research, and taking advantage of rebates that people aren't willing to invest. It takes 1-2 hours to build a PC and install windows/the bare essential software, but you will probably spend significantly more time than that researching parts and prices. That's part of the reason that so many people just go to Best Buy and sink $1000-1500 on a "gaming PC" that could be built for half that price.

Most of the cheap PC builds also assume you have the necessary software licenses ahead of time. People might be able to scavenge for a mouse and keyboard, but you can't assume everyone has a copy of Win 7/8, especially if they are getting into PC gaming for the first time. Add at least $50 to the price for that.

Because you have some kids that discovered PC gaming in the last 5/7 years and are now convinced that everyone that is not on board is crazy.
Seriously, there ain't nothing wrong with preferring PC over consoles. But the condescending nature of some is off-putting.

Top Bottom