• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Even with no source, that makes sense, as the top 5 games that make money on PC are all MMO's and MOBA's as well as F2P stuff that are designed like that. Same with mobile stuff. All of these companies make absolute bank on that kind of game

I like how the petition maker doesn't even ask the right person Sony and instead attacks from as if the petitioner was owed the game just because he's on PC. "YOU BETRAYED US!" ???

why are people worried about wii? Wii was phenomenal successes console sales wise and there is no denying it. congrats to sony this is good news for industry as a whole

Damn... wasn't expecting so much gnashing of teeth in this thread.

- Sensational sales for Sony
- PC gaming is also very healthy at the moment
- The Xbox One ain't doing too badly

The only people who legitimately have anything to feel bad about are Wii U supporters. Everyone else should be happy to some extent.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1002467

There are other organisations apart from DFC Intelligence that agree with this. Juniper Research being one of the others.

Is that total revenue or average revenue per game? I ask because it's totally possible that PC makes a shitload of money in total, but the average piece of software doesn't earn a particularly impressive amount. If I were a developer, the latter statistic would be more relevant than the former.

Same question applies to the way they are measuring mobile.

I won't even quote the embarrassing statements, but I'll just make a small contribution and pray it allows some users to wake up from there narrow viewpoint.

Not everyone likes the same things as you do

People like to play on what they like to play on

Stop shoving your preferences on other people

Who are we to say what "deserves" sells and what doesn't? Humble yourself GAF.

*this is a drive-by post '-)

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is that total revenue or average revenue per game? I ask because it's totally possible that PC makes a shitload of money in total, but the average piece of software doesn't earn a particularly impressive amount. If I were a developer, the latter statistic would be more relevant than the former.

It's total revenue.....

StevieP

Banned
How much of that is subscription games/MMO's and MOBA's? More specifically, how do PC versions of a multi platform game sell comparatively? I feel like console versions still outsell PC versions of games.

You aren't going to find call of duty selling better on pc than on console. The sales are far more varied to match varied taste and there are drastically more games, both small and large in scope on pc.

King_Moc

Banned

Average revenue isn't that relevant. The PC market isn't like the console one. Not every game is expected to shift 5 million copies. Many developers like to just make niche stuff.

ZhugeEX

Banned
How much of that is subscription games/MMO's and MOBA's? More specifically, how do PC versions of a multi platform game sell comparatively? I feel like console versions still outsell PC versions of games.

Go ask DFC if you want a break down for every single thing.

It's $3000 for the full report.

Just an FYI, just because you "feel" something must be true, does not mean it is. But I agree with you, majority of console games will outsell the PC version, but as pointed out above, not always the case and PC market has addition games or options. But the fact being shown in the report is that total software revenue on PC games is higher than that of Console games.

Some games, not all games. Some genre's perform better on PC than console, but most major mutli-platform AAA titles sell better on console.

I actually feel like many dev's are much more comfortable targetting specific audiences these days instead of trying to bring everyone in. Games specifically targetting genre fans instead of cutting back features etc for the sake of accessibility. Last gen was pretty rocky for PC gamers in that sense (for a while), but these are definitely good times at the moment.

Huh? Why does the PC base have such a pining for bloodborne? I mean, of course the game is super anticipated but, the souls series started playstation exclusive, i'm pretty sure all of the multiplat games sold better on playstation, and... sony is publishing this game, making it a 2nd party exclusive if I understand correctly. So, why?
Didnt even know this exists. lol
neither did I. i didn't get that meme at first.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Average revenue isn't that relevant. The PC market isn't like the console one. Not every game is expected to shift 5 million copies. Many developers like to just make niche stuff.

I get that, PC is a better place for a wider range of projects than consoles. I guess what I'm trying to get at is "total revenue" would be more informative if it was adjusted for number of items available for purchase. That's one thing that I would want to know if I were deciding what platforms to target, even if I wasn't shooting for a million-seller.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Huh? Why does the PC base have such a pining for bloodborne? I mean, of course the game is super anticipated but, the souls series tarted playstation exclusive, i'm pretty sure all of the multiplat games sold better on playstation, and... sony is publishing this game, making it a 2nd party exclusive if I understand correctly. So, why?

Sony's even funding the development of Bloodborne, so being salty over it not coming to PC is like being salty about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You live in a black&white country where there is only pc or console. Sad place. But i guess everyone who doesn't own a ps4 with years of ps+ must be a narcissistic pc gamer who hates consoles.. right?

The world is so easy.

Your sodium levels suggest that's where you're living.
Meanwhile I have a PC with 4790k/GTX970, PS4, PS3, 360 and a couple dozen others.

Alo0oy

Banned

There are other organisations apart from DFC Intelligence that agree with this. Juniper Research being one of the others.

Looks...Source: "Open Gaming Alliance", previously known as "PC Gaming Alliance".

Yup, good source, since their graph makes no sense, GTAV in 2013 sold more units than the entire console market? Was the graph done by polygon by any chance?

Other sources that aren't focused on one single platform might disagree.

HAUZ8TD.jpg

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2614915

EDIT: Huh, maybe you should read that thread & not only the OP.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Looks...Source: "Open Gaming Alliance", previously known as "PC Gaming Alliance".

Yup, good source, since their graph makes no sense, GTAV in 2013 sold more units than the entire console market? Was the graph done by polygon by any chance?

Other sources that aren't focused on one single platform might disagree.

HAUZ8TD.jpg

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2614915

EDIT: Huh, maybe you should read that thread & not only the OP.

There is a significant difference in what is being measured by both companies. Hardware for one.

If you're going to say that the research I posted is wrong then you need to compare it to research that measures software only and isnt out of date as well.

I've seen you post before and think you're a good poster. But please don't be one of those salty people who can't see a fact when its a fact because their own bias wont allow them to.

Jomjom

Banned
Last gen i remember the were loads of "congrats Microsoft" type posts every npd and sales number announcements and i honestly don't remember all that much salt in those threads except for the occasional insane person downplaying the numbers by bringing up multiple console purchases due to red ring. So strange. So much salt about ps4 numbers this gen.

Alo0oy

Banned
There is a significant difference in what is being measured by both companies. Hardware for one.

If you're going to say that the research I posted is wrong then you need to compare it to research that measures software only and isnt out of date as well.

The graph made no sense, as I said GTAV alone sold better than that, the graph says "millions of units", GTAV sold 32 million units in 2013, which is higher than the laughably low 18 million units in 2013 for all consoles in that graph.

Open Gaming Alliance (previously PC gaming alliance) have been at it with "PC bigger than consoles" for years, yet not a single publisher has shown that in their quarterly report.

Last gen i remember the were loads of "congrats Microsoft" type posts every npd and sales number announcements and i honestly don't remember all that much salt in those threads except for the occasional insane person downplaying the numbers by bringing up multiple console purchases due to red ring. So strange. So much salt about ps4 numbers this gen.

that's because the Wii brought all the salt to the yard, not the 360

StevieP

Banned

The salt last gen wasn't directed at Microsoft
Edit: beaten above *plays Kelis.mp3*

Dynomutt

Wasn't this skewed because the stats were sales estimates based on expected PC growth, and that growth was in itself based solely on PC gaming hardware i.e. graphics cards, motherboards, ram, etc...that accidentally included chromebooks, Macs, and everyday consumer PC's?

That would really inflate sales estimates.

ZhugeEX

Banned
The graph made no sense, as I said GTAV alone sold better than that, the graph says "millions of units", GTAV sold 32 million units in 2013, which is higher than the laughably low 18 million units in 2013 for all consoles in that graph.

Open Gaming Alliance (previously PC gaming alliance) have been at it with "PC bigger than consoles" for years, yet not a single publisher has shown that in their quarterly report.

Um... That graph is not showing what you think its showing. Read the full article. Its showing revenue.

Again. Don't be one of those posters Who thinks they know More then a market research organisation. What you've said is akin to you saying that Sony must be wrong about 20.2m+

Other researches agree that the PC software market is larger than the console software market in terms of revenue.

Anyway, as i've said before. The console market is doing fine.

Jomjom

Banned
The salt last gen wasn't directed at Microsoft
Edit: beaten above *plays Kelis.mp3*

Yeah but most congratulations were given to the 360 even though Wii had the highest user base. I didn't see all that many people hating on all the praise the 360 was getting.

They're co-funding along-side Capcom afaik. With Bloodborne its 100% their money thats being used to make the game.
they paid for the whole thing?

so correct me if i'm wrong, since sony doesn't own from software, that makes this a 2nd party exclusive yeah? in the same way, sunset overdrive is a 2nd party exclusive?

David___

Banned
they paid for the whole thing?

so correct me if i'm wrong, since sony doesn't own from software, that makes this a 2nd party exclusive yeah? in the same way, sunset overdrive is a 2nd party exclusive?

"2nd party" technically doesnt exist. Its only used to describe the relationship between the manufacturer and developer(when the developer is independent but gets funded by the manufacturer to make exclusives.). But yea, its like SO but in this case FROM doesnt own the IP, Sony does.

Top Bottom