• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I don't even get why some "pc gamers" are pissed off at this. What does it matter if consoles or PS4 does well it's not as if it would change much about the status quo or really achieve much of anything. Exclusives will continue to exist (hell if the PS4 was doing badly you'd expect more exclusives not less) and multiplatform development remains the same regardless. It's akin to throwing at tamptrum simply because you don't like something rather than a disliking something because it actively screws you over, it's pointless.

PC does well PS4 does well XB1 does alight I guess, multiplatform games remain multiplatform and paid for exclusives won't exactly jump ship.

Sony should just ignores those PC petitioners. If half of them really wants to play Bloodborne and caved, another 5000 PS4 sold easily. :)

this defines the term "system seller".

Exactly.

I remember when Crysis wasnt on consoles. I still want an XBO just for the exclusives, Sunset Overdrive is one. I will not give up my Wii U and whatever the next Nintendo console will be, I will get it too....exclusives.

There were some old games that still are PC only. It is what it is. If I wanna play those or other PC only games.....gotta look into having an actual gaming PC.

Insane amount of consoles, I feel alot were gamers like me and my friends who switched from the 360, As MS made it impossible to stay with them at launch.

All the PC gamers i know have bought a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne and then probably will gather dust until DLC hits or summat.

System seller you could say to some extent.

i-Lo

Kudos to Sony.

It's amazing how well the console has sold thus far given how regressed it is on certain features, even to PS3. Also, I can't recall another console that sold as well aside from Wii without having an undeniably exclusive masterpiece (that wasn't a remake of a brilliant PS3 game). Shows how strong the brand is when its image is rightly managed.

At the least, a great install base such as this bodes well for potential future masterpieces.

Europe is key for Sony and Microsoft was banking on China with average results. A lot of Chinese f2p games are hitting XBO soon so who knows where the Chinese venture will take them.

Pezus

Kudos to Sony.

It's amazing how well the console has sold thus far given how regressed it is on certain features, even to PS3. Also, I can't recall another console that sold as well aside from Wii without having an undeniably exclusive masterpiece (that wasn't a remake of a brilliant PS3 game). Shows how strong the brand is when its image is rightly managed.

At the least, a great install base such as this bodes well for potential future masterpieces.

Aren't you forgetting a little Knack?

DBT85

Europe is key for Sony and Microsoft was banking on China with average results. A lot of Chinese f2p games are hitting XBO soon so who knows where the Chinese venture will take them.

I don't think MS had any huge expectations from China. I jsut think they thought that they had the US on lockdown because Halo. Hell, a lot of posters here thought something similar.

They woefully underestimated Sony and at the same time overestimated their hold on the market, like Sony did with the PS3. At least Sony did it from from a position of utter dominance so it made a made more sense.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm shocked the console sold so much. Wasn't it losing to Xboxone in sales per month recently? Must not have mattered that much.

To add on with the others.....a few months here n there doesnt erase the total sales. I remember early on it lost at least 1 month to XBO.

You are correct that it didnt matter that much.

You're expecting heavy sales because of bb and arkham knight aren't you?
I'm certain Sony will push those two titles very hard, especially Batman. Partnerships and heavy advertising with third parties is doing a lot of good for sales (for example Watch Dogs and Destiny). I think they'll especially advertise Batman heavily and put the focus on the PS4 as the place to play it even though it's multiplat.

joeblow

Opiate, I have a suggestion that addresses the port begging debate: why not simply let someone post a catch-all port begging thread (like the SHUMP thread, the Help Me Remember An Old Game thread, etc)?

That way the mods can ban port begging that derails all the other threads while some impassioned members still have a place to advocate for what they want.

For the record, I'm glad that game threads aren't derailed by this practice, but I understand the desire some have to ask for what they want.

spwolf

Kudos to Sony.

eh, it has nothing to do with brand, otherwise PS3 would have sold a lot better, not to mention other Sony products and brands.

PS4 success is solely due to the great job they did with the console... from the features to price. They focused on gaming and brining out the best gaming console they could... as simple as that.

GeoramA

I'm certain Sony will push those two titles very hard, especially Batman. Partnerships and heavy advertising with third parties is doing a lot of good for sales (for example Watch Dogs and Destiny). I think they'll especially advertise Batman heavily and put the focus on the PS4 as the place to play it even though it's multiplat.
Just realized we're going to be seeing PS4 ads constantly from now until June (Bloodborne, MLB, BF, MKX, Batman)

And I think Sony is going to start pushing MGS5 hard. Like Destiny hard. I expect a bundle announced at E3 for NA.

JNA

Banned
Just realized we're going to be seeing PS4 ads constantly from now until June (Bloodborne, MLB, BF, MKX, Batman)

And I think Sony is going to start pushing MGS5 hard. Like Destiny hard. I expect a bundle announced at E3 for NA.

Does MGS5 really need that push though? I thought it sells really well on the name alone by now? 0_0

I just want then to sell that limited edition ds4

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Does MGS5 really need that push though? I thought it sells really well on the name alone by now? 0_0

All games need pushes if they can get it...but this will also benefit Sony if they have the advertisement rights.

PS4 might save the entire company.
It would if they'd cut some shit.

as a Ps4 owner, scalebound is the most intriguing xbone exclusive yet to be released/revealed further in my opinion. i don't know why you got that vibe from the trailer, maybe it was a trailer I haven't seen, can you post it?

and don't forget, someone from that camp said scalebound has the potential to be goat. take that as you will.

EDIT: sorry if all the double posting is annoying everyone, i'll try to remember not to
This is the trailer I was mentioning. It also seems to be the only one for the game.

Don't get me wrong; visually it looks great. But there's zero actual display of any game mechanics. So in my head it seems like some offspring of Panzer Dragoon and Lair, but lacks the soundtrack of the first. And even tho it'll be better than Lair (how could it not?) that still makes it a dragon-combat game that did it better than Lair; it isn't revolutionary simply because of its theme.

But really the character in the trailer just seems kinda douchey. Kind of like the guy from Sunset but it seemed like a more natural thing you'd see in that kind of game. Hopefully they aren't that way just to be that way, and there's more sides to their character. Hopefully some major info on the game comes this E3 on several fronts, because I'm not gonna get excited over a trailer except in very rare (usually heavily nostalgic) instances.

I dont know what is the holdup of releasing PS4 in China?

Last I heard was that some asshat complained to the Chinese government about the PS4 being region free and caused the delay.

Then again, some retailers decided to not care about the government and went ahead with selling the PS4.

Didn't realize this thing is about to pass Gamecube LTD. Holy shit. The irony is that last gen people use to track PS3 with Gamecube sales as a joke. Gotta love karma.

Didn't realize this thing is about to pass Gamecube LTD. Holy shit. The irony is that last gen people use to track PS3 with Gamecube sales as a joke. Gotta love karma.

I think it already has.

Remember, GameCube shipped 21.7 million console LTD.

If PS4 is at 20.2 million LTD sell-through, that's probably equivalent to 22 million LTD in shipments.

On Demand

Banned
Capcom own the SF IP, whatever payoff is made for console exclusivity is weighted towards Capcoms terms. In other words, I think it would be pretty hard to have one of if not the most popular fighting franchise solely exclusive to one platform. It is a different situation than this.

From Software have accepted Sony's terms to co-develop and give them ownership of the IP. With SF Sony will have accepted Capcoms terms, which obviously do not include ownership of the IP.

There's a reason why SF is also coming to PC. It was posted in of the threads. Don't remember which one at the moment. It could of been a full exclusive.

BokehKing

Banned
Kudos to Sony.

It's amazing how well the console has sold thus far given how regressed it is on certain features, even to PS3.
Ps3 was marketed as a media device and gaming machine
Ps4 was marketed as a game device with a social experience

I'm not surprised at all by the outcome.

Amir0x

Banned
Kudos to Sony.

Both systems regressed on certain feature sets, and progressed in other feature sets. It's a trade-off that occurs with new systems with complicated OS's that need to be tailored to the new demands of the latest generation. By the end of this generation both PS4 and XBO will have most of the feature PS3 and 360 had, plus a host of its own. Most people realize that you build these features up over time, so I don't think it would have discouraged people from buying.

The core thing that got people in was PS4 was gaming focused and had a consistent message that they have yet to deviate from. The only thing holding them back really is Sony's unusual string of bad luck with their first party exclusives. Bad form so far with their development.

But the thing people always underestimate is that people don't just buy systems for their exclusives. When they buy a system, they're buying an investment in whatever that system can play... and that includes all the third party games that are getting good reviews. What difference does it make to a PS4 owner if the XBO also has a game, provided it's good? And typically they can depend on the port being better (outside of AF *sadface* or Ubisoft's utter incompetence). But not only do they have those games, but they have a host of high quality downloadable products to choose from.

So it's all there adding to the value a machine has. Just imagine if Sony was also firing on all cylinders with their first party development. That's the one bit of good luck Microsoft has had with their competition, because MS has been nailing many of their AAA exclusives at least. I mean I believe Driveclub is spectacular, but Evolution soured the world on that prospect with its shoddy launch and still no PS+ version so no goodwill is earned :p

I've read the thread and my take on PC port begging is that for a long time the PC was ignored, even by third parties. The PC community had to be vocal and say, we want games too and we are willing to pay. I think alot of PC port begging in the past has been for third party multi-platform games. That's why the PC got Dark Souls.

I love my PC, but I have come to grips with the fact that there are going to be games I need to buy a console to play. That console will probably be the PS4 for Bloodborne and ND exclusives. I might get a Wii-U when they get real low, possibly used. I have no plans of getting an Xbox One. I'm hoping MS keeps bringing content to the PC, even if it is late. Hell I have a PS3, X360 and a Wii.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm on my phone but this link says 200,000 a year whereas Microsoft got some insane deal like 10 million shipment total. Google it.
www.wsj.com/articles/sony-closer-to-shipping-game-consoles-in-china-1412851408

XnWumQN.gif

MS has shipped 10 million XBOs worldwide as of November...I cannot for the life of me find where they are sending 10 million to China....ahaha.

There's a reason why SF is also coming to PC. It was posted in of the threads. Don't remember which one at the moment. It could of been a full exclusive.

You mean the cross-platform smackdown?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...onsole-exclusive-to-ps4-first-gameplay-video/

Sony and Capcom have been very clear about what they meant by exclusive:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-05-street-fighter-5-exclusive-to-pc-and-ps4

The fact that even Adam Boyes said that the PS4 will be the only console to ever have SF5 means that it is a permanent console exclusive.

Whether that includes subsequent version updates or not like a Super SF5 Ultra is what I'm not certain of.

Top Bottom