• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 hits 20.2 million units sold worldwide (high sodium content warning)

kyser73

I've read the thread and my take on PC port begging is that for a long time the PC was ignored, even by third parties. The PC community had to be vocal and say, we want games too and we are willing to pay. I think alot of PC port begging in the past has been for third party multi-platform games. That's why the PC got Dark Souls.

I love my PC, but I have come to grips with the fact that there are going to be games I need to buy a console to play. That console will probably be the PS4 for Bloodborne and ND exclusives. I might get a Wii-U when they get real low, possibly used. I have no plans of getting an Xbox One. I'm hoping MS keeps bringing content to the PC, even if it is late. Hell I have a PS3, X360 and a Wii.

#PCHASNOGAMES ;)

That bit I've bolded - since when has the PC been ignored? PC has had more games historically and currently than the 3 consoles combined. Even going back to the MS-DOS days it was getting more leisure software than the consoles. it just wasn't necessarily colourful platformers and shmups.

You young'uns sometimes...

Chobel

I'm on my phone but this link says 200,000 a year whereas Microsoft got some insane deal like 10 million shipment total. Google it.
www.wsj.com/articles/sony-closer-to-shipping-game-consoles-in-china-1412851408

I'll leave this here
*sigh*.

Yet another China thread, yet more corrections to be made.

1. There isn't a cap. Even the article said "Sony’s venture for China intends to package 200,000 consoles annually".

2. So what is this?

Basically, Sony applied to have a 500 Square Meters (1/4 football field size) facility established within the Shanghai Free Trade Zone. The facility will house 20 workers to perform basic QA and packaging work for the China market, and Sony themselves estimate that the facility can put out/process through 200K units per year. They'll put in about 1M RMB (<200K USD) for the facility etc.

Source of this new comes from their recently leaked application for Environmental/Industrial chemical use approval (source: a9vg):

NPz1RQq.jpg

I also have a copy of the FTZ application, but not going to post that here since I don't have original source info.

And MS cap is 5 million.

Opiate

Opiate, I have a suggestion that addresses the port begging debate: why not simply let someone post a catch-all port begging thread (like the SHUMP thread, the Help Me Remember An Old Game thread, etc)?

That way the mods can ban port begging that derails all the other threads while some impassioned members still have a place to advocate for what they want.

For the record, I'm glad that game threads aren't derailed by this practice, but I understand the desire some have to ask for what they want.

We've considered this, and had things like it in the past. We may make a catch all again. It's definitely a reasonable idea.

To be fair to the guy Microsoft rested on their laurels since 2010 and they were not even market leader. So i can get there is some concern that Sony might do the same, but then you look at the PS2's output by 5 or so years in to its life cycle, and it was still getting tons of Sony first party support.

Tbh I think it would be a good thing for 1st party in regards to Sony.

They'd probally give gheir studios even more time to polish their games, which is no bad thing if that situation was to arise.

Verendus

Banned
Does MGS5 really need that push though? I thought it sells really well on the name alone by now? 0_0
It's not that it needs a push necessarily, but MGS5 is going to benefit a great deal by being positioned in September. Pushing a title can work in its favour depending on the timing, and what surrounds that push. Konami setting that September date likely has something to do with with SCE, and both MGS and the PS4 are going to benefit greatly from this situation. SCE will be focused on pushing Batman a great deal in June, and the next really big game from that point onwards is going to be MGSV, but it'll be in a much better position than Batman considering the circumstances of its launch. PS4 is in a pretty fantastic position this year leading into the big third quarter at the end of the year.

Also, 20 million sold. Zero attach rate. I'm not sure what's to be proud of there.

kyser73

It's not that it needs a push necessarily, but MGS5 is going to benefit a great deal by being positioned in September. Pushing a title can work in its favour depending on the timing, and what surrounds that push. Konami setting that September date likely has something to do with with SCE, and both MGS and the PS4 are going to benefit greatly from this situation. SCE will be focused on pushing Batman a great deal in June, and the next really big game from that point onwards is going to be MGSV, but it'll be in a much better position than Batman considering the circumstances of its launch. PS4 is in a pretty fantastic position this year leading into the big third quarter at the end of the year.

Also, 20 million sold. Zero attach rate. I'm not sure what's to be proud of there.

PS4 price cut time confirmed.

;)

sense

i am kinda expecting the ps4 price cut to go into effect on september 1 with announcement at gamescom alongside mgs5 bundle.

299 ps4 and 349 mgs bundle

You mean the cross-platform smackdown?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...onsole-exclusive-to-ps4-first-gameplay-video/

Sony and Capcom have been very clear about what they meant by exclusive:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-05-street-fighter-5-exclusive-to-pc-and-ps4

The fact that even Adam Boyes said that the PS4 will be the only console to ever have SF5 means that it is a permanent console exclusive.

Whether that includes subsequent version updates or not like a Super SF5 Ultra is what I'm not certain of.
They mentioned that SFV would not be getting updates that way, which I presumed to mean retail updates.

Plus the game is probably using 1st-party Sony tech, so that's another reason. I do hope they make a multiplatform Alpha tho, both to quench the thirst of non-PS4/PC owners and so that they can do any ridiculous MUGEN-style roster and "don't-really-care-about-the-story" shenanigans in a non-mainline SF game.

That stuff was kind of unfortunate in IV.

spwolf

i am kinda expecting the ps4 price cut to go into effect on september 1 with announcement at gamescom alongside mgs5 bundle.

299 ps4 and 349 mgs bundle

there is no way they will drop the price to $299, unless something like WW3 happens or some new virus wipes out half of the global population.

Would not be surprised if they bundle keep the same price for MGS bundle... unless MS goes down to $250, which is also not likely.

joecanada

I can't believe that so many people paid for a console so they could play no games.

I jest. Between the two, I want a PS4 over the Xbox One.

It's as if people can't look up a quick list of the 250 ps4 games and make an informed decision.
" I bought one but sold it cuz no Gamez"

I don't believe that shit for a second. I could list all the games I've played on ps4 off the top of my head.
Bf, cod, warframe, resogun, tLou, far cry, Dai, ascreed, destiny, Diablo. A couple of indies.

I bought it for 64 player bf4 alone, which obviously didn't work out but it's what I wanted. I'm not going to sit here and cry about all the games it doesn't have, I knew what was out and what's coming, it's no secret.

Of course half these people have never and likely will never own the console, but in true warrior fashion they must post here.

Hence the three metric tonnes of salt in the thread

This is incorrect. Microsoft did not own the PC platform nor do they earn profit from every piece of (gaming) software built for PC. (Except those published by Microsoft Studios, for example)
alright, I suspected this was the case but there's something I don't understand. when 3rd party devs want to release games on a console, they need the license from sony/mS/nintendo yeah? which means they get a cut out of every copy of every 3rd party game sold.

if there's no one to answer to for the PC platform, why don't the majority of developers just make games for that system since that would mean spending the least amount of money to release the game?
Ah ok. My apologies.
it's all good, I just ended up explaining a couple of times. but I guess that is to be expected since gaf threads move really fasted.
I don't think it's that simple. Mobile and Movie division are eating whatever profit PlayStation makes iirc.
so, allegorally, sony is so deep in the red, that whatever green they make (mostly with playstation) is still not enough to get them closer to breaking even/being green?
Europe is key for Sony and Microsoft was banking on China with average results. A lot of Chinese f2p games are hitting XBO soon so who knows where the Chinese venture will take them.
has it been announced when sony will ship Ps4s to china?
Man if only XBO can sell to 1% of the population of China...instant success!!
-sigh-
It would if they'd cut some shit.

This is the trailer I was mentioning. It also seems to be the only one for the game.

Don't get me wrong; visually it looks great. But there's zero actual display of any game mechanics. So in my head it seems like some offspring of Panzer Dragoon and Lair, but lacks the soundtrack of the first. And even tho it'll be better than Lair (how could it not?) that still makes it a dragon-combat game that did it better than Lair; it isn't revolutionary simply because of its theme.

But really the character in the trailer just seems kinda douchey. Kind of like the guy from Sunset but it seemed like a more natural thing you'd see in that kind of game. Hopefully they aren't that way just to be that way, and there's more sides to their character. Hopefully some major info on the game comes this E3 on several fronts, because I'm not gonna get excited over a trailer except in very rare (usually heavily nostalgic) instances.
I see what you mean now about that protagonist. I actually never saw that trailer, I must've seen an even shorter teaser trailer/footage somewhere. If that's what the final game will look like, that's on gow's level of scale. but yeah there's that go on, and platinum track's record.
Insurance will.
insurance?
There's a reason why SF is also coming to PC. It was posted in of the threads. Don't remember which one at the moment. It could of been a full exclusive.
what are you saying though? that sony could've made it a full exclusive instead of console exclusive?
I'm impressed you're keeping the Knack Army avatar.
what's the origin of that avatar anyways? what's it supposed to mean?
Once Xbox One drops to $250, I imagine PS4 sales will shrivel to nothingness.
i'd be bamboozled if by that point sony hadn't done a single price cut to the Ps4.

insurance?

They have a division in which they provide insurance to people. It's without a doubt their biggest money maker and perhaps their least known division. PlayStation, Cameras and Imaging (probably due to their contract with Apple to provide cameras for iPhone), and Insurance are the big 3 divisions for Sony.

Basically, Sony needs to sell off and restructure before the PS4 profits light up to an overall income. It might be hard given their corporate culture and pride as a premium brand to do so.

I'm certain Sony will push those two titles very hard, especially Batman. Partnerships and heavy advertising with third parties is doing a lot of good for sales (for example Watch Dogs and Destiny). I think they'll especially advertise Batman heavily and put the focus on the PS4 as the place to play it even though it's multiplat.

I also find it funny that all PS4 Partnerships from 3rd parties turn into exclusives in Japan. Like Destiny & Batman.

They have a division in which they provide insurance to people. It's without a doubt their biggest money maker and perhaps their least known division. PlayStation, Cameras and Imaging (probably due to their contract with Apple to provide cameras for iPhone), and Insurance are the big 3 divisions for Sony.
yeah, I didn't even know sony was an insurance company.

you think it'd be more known since it's one of their best departments.

onQ123

alright, I suspected this was the case but there's something I don't understand. when 3rd party devs want to release games on a console, they need the license from sony/mS/nintendo yeah? which means they get a cut out of every copy of every 3rd party game sold.

if there's no one to answer to for the PC platform, why don't the majority of developers just make games for that system since that would mean spending the least amount of money to release the game?

Because PC games don't sell for $60 & they also don't sell as well as console games.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

Well, on PC developers pay royalties to Steam, GOG, etc. A few developers have their own websites to buy a game from and make all of the revenue.

4Tran

Steam takes roughly a 30% cut, which is about the same amount that the platform holders take. Publishers will release games on platforms to capture as much of their customer base as they can. If there is a substantial audience that will miss out on a game unless it's released on a particular platform, then it behooves the publisher to make a port for that platform even if it's a worse deal overall.

The PS4 will surpass the LTDs of Gamecube, Atari 2600, and Nintendo 64 by the end of this year at this pace.

And XBOX. Also, since we don't know exactly when PS4 reached 20.2 million, there's a chance it could be closer to (or has already passed) Gamecube. Gamecube sold (or shipped- not quite sure which) 21.74 million units. So, yeah. I wouldn't be shocked if PS4 is closer to that number already or even better.

rschauby

Banned
I am just so amazed Sony was able to sell that many consoles with the system's current library. There has been almost no exclusive system sellers.

I can't help but think the only thing selling it is the age of the last generation and everyone's desire for it to end.

Averon

I am just so amazed Sony was able to sell that many consoles with the system's current library. There has been almost no exclusive system sellers.

I can't help but think the only thing selling it is the age of the last generation and everyone's desire for it to end.

Exclusives aren't pushing these systems to the masses. Third party games are.

As long as the console can play the latest CoD or AssCreed, it is good enough for the masses.

Top Bottom