• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

eculley

Neo Member
I got my system just now and am downloading games. Let me just say how excited I am that this system has dual band wifi.. thank god.

Boke1879

I done just shy of 300GB in about 45 minutes over a Gigabit network, with the network the data is being sent and received at the same time, with an external drive you need to wait all the time for it to backup, then wait again whilst it transfers so i would imagine it would be slower.

Wow, you must only have a 100MB network then

I see so I'm probably better off buying another 2.5TB drive, putting it in my pro installing the F.W. and then transferring over?

Mine's a bit quieter than my old PS4 but it's definitely not as quiet as my Xbone. Got pretty loud during COD campaign, surprisingly a tad quieter during BF1 though.

Infinite Warfare campaign looks amazing.[/QUOTE

I can vouch for that statement of yours, I played it for a few hours on OG PS4 and was shocked to see how good it looked right from the very opening gameplay section. The cinematics, lighting, character models were almost Advanced Warfare(PS4/Xbox One) level stuff. The buddy movement animation felt a bit odd here and there but was great overall.

rubes7844

Banned
The blacks on my TV look extremely washed/greyed out compared to what my previous PS4 outputted. I've used Full/Full on tv and PS4. went straight from my PS4 to TV and it just looks bad.

My tv is 4K non HDR. 2160P YUV420. RGB is unsupported.

Inside

My own unscientific sound test. Max 45db after playing several hours of BF1, U4 and TLOU
https://youtu.be/ADQmR1MQINA

For me it is a big improvement compared to my launch PS4. 45db is not much when you have little sound from the TV. When TV is mute it is of course easy to hear the machine running

So I hooked mine up at lunch in the office for everyone to check out and it seemed like a mixture of impressions. We tried out both Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Last of Us. Up close, like sitting a foot or two from the 40" screen we had it on, you can definitely see the difference. It's pretty significant on the title screen where you can look at the chair and the map. But once you start sitting back at a normal distance, that stuff starts to disappear. At about 7 or 8 feet away, a 40" screen makes it hard to see the difference. Surprisingly, I didn't expect to see so much shimmering on some objects in Tomb Raider at 4K. The wood columns in the apartment was extremely jarring. So while I can see the difference, without a point of reference, it doesn't seem such a huge upgrade. Certainly not the huge gains or the night and day difference that some describe. Tomb Raider letting you toggle in real time is nice, but even then, I think I'd pick 1080p60 over 4K30. The framerate felt like a bigger difference than the slightly cleaner image. In the end, it's about what I expected. Better, but not jaw dropping better. I think it'll have a bigger impact on VR for me than regular PS4 games. Maybe some other games will change my mind once I put it through it's paces.

cripterion

I appreciate the IQ upgrade, even the tiles in the PS UI look better. On the other hand the damn system still noisy as fuck, sounds like a Hoover. There's a less whiny pitch than the OG but all in all to me it's the same shit.

I feel like I got this console to guarantee at least 1080p on console lol.

Anyone noticed better download speeds via Ethernet with the pro? I'm getting a solid 20MB/s down now, which was never the case before. Either PSN just got a boost in my area, or the hardware is working some magic.

Bro, wired downloads speeds are off the charts. I dont know what is wrong with the base PS4s LAN card but this thing is so much faster. Nearly downloaded all 50 gigs of Destiny in 2 hours. Would have taken at least 6 on my old PS4. Very happy right now.

FStop7

Banned
Are there instructions for doing a direct migration over Ethernet?

Asking for a friend.

3uBYmnth.jpg

GazzaGSi

Bro, wired downloads speeds are off the charts. I dont know what is wrong with the base PS4s LAN card but this thing is so much faster. Nearly downloaded all 50 gigs of Destiny in 2 hours. Would have taken at least 6 on my old PS4. Very happy right now.

Download speed is odd at the moment for me. I had 4 files downloading all were downloading at 6MB a second each. Paused 3 and the fourth still stuck at 6MB. Was hoping it would increase but didn't so just resumed the other 3 and again, all were at 6MB.

I'm on a fibre connection, 210MB download.

When I run the connection test in network settings I get on average 140MB download speed, 9 upload speed.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
My PSVR doesn't output to my TV while using PS4pro, works well with normal PS4. Any clue on what the issue might be?

I've got 3 pros setup and all downloading games since noon. Literally can't tell they're on they're so quiet, but we'll see if that changes once a game is played.

DjRalford

My PSVR doesn't output to my TV while using PS4pro, works well with normal PS4. Any clue on what the issue might be?

do you have display setting on auto?

the box will only pass through 1 signal afaik, so if you manually select the wrong one it cannot pass through the data.

Thinking of picking one up in the next few days, you can copy game saves to a USB and then just transfer them to the new system that way, right? Feels like it would be easier and far less time consuming.

ToVenusAndBack_

Neo Member
Ok, connecting both PS4s to PSN through LAN and router seems to fix the server timeout error ( NW - 31175 - 7 ) with Wifi - direct LAN cable configuration. It looks like that OG PS4 was loosing WLAN connection before the preparation for the transfer could be finished, so it failed.

After I connected everything to router (found second LAN cable fortunately) the transfer process has started. Will need like 50 min for 150 GB.
I'm transferring with the same setup. Mine is 240GB but will take 6 hours! :(

Alucrid

Banned
i don't think i'm getting it at launch. arrived at the distribution center at 6 am and hasn't been set as "out for delivery" for 10 hours now.

I think the Pro just made me realize something about my monitor. I turned on game mode (which I've never tried) while playing Ratchet and noticed that the colors were so much better and not over contrasted or anything. Switching from the standard mode and game mode is like a night and day difference, everything is just so muted on standard.

It's just like when I discovered Full RGB, fucking hell. I won't make a bad thread about it this time though!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So fucking happy with this.

BF1 is running like a dream with no reoslution drops at all.

TF2 looks fucking fantastic.

Ratchet and Clank looks like a Pixar Movie.

About to boot up IW and try it. Bunch of other games just started the DL on.

Well done Sony. Well done.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Do I need a special HDMI cable to get better image or FPS out of this thing?

Top Bottom