• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Pro |Launch Thread| PS4 Reloaded

got it...yay...left my games all back home so the first thing i did with it was youtube Weeknd and then watch an episode of thrones lol

is the hdmi that came with it the same one as the OG Ps4?

Ploid 3.0

Man FFXV on Pro is just killer.

And it's not even it's final form apparently.

DBT85

Does anyone know if I can take the 2TB hard drive out my current PS4 and swap it out for the 1TB hard drive in the Pro?

You can swap them but you can't just plug it in and play. The data needs to be digitally signed to that machine. So in your case, backup to a USB drive and then restore on the Pro from that backup.

jqdunn

You can swap them but you can't just plug it in and play. The data needs to be digitally signed to that machine. So in your case, backup to a USB drive and then restore on the Pro from that backup.

You can't back up entire digitally downloaded games to a USB drive though, can you? That means my entire library has to be downloaded again regardless if its all still on my current PS4 hard drive that I'd be swapping into the Pro?

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
You can't back up entire digitally downloaded games to a USB drive though, can you? That means my entire library has to be downloaded again regardless if its all still on my current PS4 hard drive that I'd be swapping into the Pro?

You can backup and restore everything. The new PS4 becomes a clone of the old one basically

So I'm kinda either unimpressed with the Pro or impressed with the KS8000.

I played and finished Infinite Warfare on the PS4 with the KS8000 at 1080p. Now I am replaying it on the Pro with the KS8000 at 4K.

However I can scarcely tell the difference between the two at face value and unable to do a side-by-side due to the trade-in. I either expected the 4K mode to be much sharper/clearer than my 1080p experience, or the KS8000 is able to upscale 1080p to near 4K level of sharpness/clarity.

So my Pro is in rest mode downloading tons of stuff I queued up. Can I still log into my other PS4 and play stuff, or will it stop the downloads on my Pro if I do that?

DjRalford

So my Pro is in rest mode downloading tons of stuff I queued up. Can I still log into my other PS4 and play stuff, or will it stop the downloads on my Pro if I do that?

you can still play on the other console, your primary will always download in the background regardless of where else you sign in.

So is it true that the Pro patch for Mankind Divided makes the game an even bigger mess? I was holding off on finishing it for the Pro version but now I just want to know if I should wait for it to be patched further.

BroBot

Im loving the 4k upscaling on non-pro patched games. WWE 2k17 looks really good now.

My created arenas for example look much clearer and sharper on the pro with less jaggies. On OG Ps4 it looked blurry.

Edit: Also, the framerate isn't dropping for me when fighting outside the arena like it did on OG PS4.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Not sure how much of it is placebo but Playroom VR looks way sharper.

I haven't tried it since I got my Pro but there have been no patches for that game. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood hasn't gotten any patches, either.

Namikaze

My Pro is pretty damn loud in UC4. Wonder if new thermal paste would quiet it down.

Mine is loud during UC4, too. I almost thought I had my launch PS4 in the room for a minute. It's been quiet during every other game but yeah..kind concerned about how it'll perform down the line.

Lady Gaia

Keep us updated.

I've put the two setups through their paces side-by-side (PS4 + 2012 Samsung 7500 series HD vs. PS4 Pro + 2016 Samsung 8000 series 4K.) I tried Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Firewatch so far. Final verdict? Yesterday I wasn't convinced I was going to keep the KS8000. Sure, I got a solid deal on it and there are some subtle improvements with HD content, but was that really buying a whole new television? Today, I'm 100% totally sold and can't imagine going back. If titles that weren't designed with 4K + HDR in mind already look this good, we're going to be in for a treat down the road.

The standouts characteristics of the titles for me were as follows:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is obviously going to win some fans with the high frame rate mode, but it's the high resolution mode that won me over by virtually eliminating the pixel crawl on fine detail in motion. The fact that her bow and other gear was always shimmering was a distraction when I played the game, and now it's all but gone.

Uncharted 4 may only be running at 1440p but the difference in detail is still noticeable. Textures and fine detail were readily apparent where they were subdued before, so that's a welcome change. What I wasn't prepared for is how much more vibrant the color palette was. Underwater blues were saturated and pure, mossy rocks were striking, and open flames showcased the undiluted yellows and reds the set is capable of. The improved black levels over my prior set and HDR support together improved contrast in a way I wasn't expecting, even in nighttime scenes like Nate's early rooftop jaunt with Sam.

Ratchet and Clank looked bloody glorious before and it still does. I actually found the improvements here to be less astonishing because the title was already remarkable, but metallic surfaces looked more like metal and leather more like leather instead of the slightly plastic, painted appearance of the HD presentation. A nice bump, but not the most remarkable in my eyes.

Firewatch is the title I spent the least time with, but again those glorious saturated colors made the older technology combination look sad by comparison. I'm curious whether titles are already taking advantage of the Rec.2020 color space or if it's just a truer representation of Rec.709. Time to do some research.

All in all, I'm very impressed and I'm diving back in to play some more. Good night, and good luck with your decision!

bowld

Have only played titanfall so far but it looks and plays amazing on my 4k 55 inch.

That being said, does titanfall 2 use Hdr? I noticed my hdr shows as off so need to know if it's the game or my settings

CLEEK

I want to basically have your babies. I was getting 2 extremely strange Errors (CE-41655-1 and NW-something) and even PS chat support had no idea what to do, they recommended me taking back the console. I tried the WiFi/Direct connection method and it worked instantly.

I was driving myself nuts trying to troubleshoot this tonight, you saved my ass.

Also, this needs more visibility for those still having problems transferring.

Yeah, CE-41655-1 is the exact error I was getting, with zero Google results for it.

Makikou

This thread is making me get the Pro come December. God damn.

Wish I had a 4K set though but i'll take the better AA/high fps modes etc every day!

BroBot

So it upscales everything? Cuz I swear BF1 looks much more crisp even though it doesn't have a Pro patch yet.

It appears so. It shows 3840x2160p on my tv while im in game. Just tested RE Revelations 2. Looks cleaner and crisp as well!

I know for certain wwe didnt get a pro patch and it looks much better now. Game has been glitch city since launch. Gonna test GTA V now.

Hzoltan69

So I'm kinda either unimpressed with the Pro or impressed with the KS8000.

I played and finished Infinite Warfare on the PS4 with the KS8000 at 1080p. Now I am replaying it on the Pro with the KS8000 at 4K.

However I can scarcely tell the difference between the two at face value and unable to do a side-by-side due to the trade-in. I either expected the 4K mode to be much sharper/clearer than my 1080p experience, or the KS8000 is able to upscale 1080p to near 4K level of sharpness/clarity.

More likely that you are not sitting close enough.
I don't know the size of your TV, but for a 55" for instance differences between 1080p and 4K will start to show at around 7 feet and in order for your eyes to fully resolve 4K you need to be 4 feet(!) or closer. And that's with 20/20 vision.
Beyond those distances any difference seen will be imaginary.

I'm right there with you. It looks stunning now. It was good looking before but now it seems better to me in a very noticeable way.
It also runs significantly smoother but there was a thread earlier where I believe they determined that somehow the game might be taking advantage of the boosted CPU and GPU without a patch because it was confirmed on twitter that the Pro patch is still to come.

PrinceKee

Are we sure BF1 still doesn't have a pro patch? Cuz I swear to god it looks much better.

Yea, BF1 definitely looks better than what I remember on my launch PS4. I was surprised to read it didn't have a pro patch because it looks stunning on the pro. I wish I could get my PS4 pro to display 4K on my tv hdmi port without using my ps VR. Really need a patch quick to fix this. Turning HDCP off didn't help on my Vizio D series...

Sciortino

This has probably been answered but does ratchet and clank have a settings for the Pro or its already in 4K? t looks phenomenal already I just wasnt sure if there was a graphics setting somewhere.

DBT85

This has probably been answered but does ratchet and clank have a settings for the Pro or its already in 4K? t looks phenomenal already I just wasnt sure if there was a graphics setting somewhere.

No settings. It just is.

Does TLoU:R let you toggle how you want to display/run the game? I don't see an option other than HDR.

Choose the framerate. 30 or not 30. If you pick 30 its 4k30, if you pick not 30 then its 1800p/60ish

DjRalford

Just ordered another New dualshock 4 from amazon for delivery in a couple of hours, love prime now, my OCD cannot deal with having 1 new controller and one old style for the Pro.

Is that bad?

Top Bottom