• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Slim |OT| Svelte, Efficient, and now, with less Optical flair

Cornbread78

s6Kihb4.jpg

The new standard PS4 (CUH-2000 PS4 Slim) is shipping to retailers currently and will be available worldwide on September 15 for $299.99 USD /$379.99 CAD/ £259/ 29,980¥. The Slim model is a consolidated the current PS4 into a smaller, more energy efficient unit. When comparing the new PS4 model to the current model, Sony reduced volume by 30 percent, weight by 16 percent, and power consumption by 28 percent. Despite the smaller size, the Slim model packs does not reduce the standard power seen in the previous PS4 model.

* 1TB model launches on September 29
* The new PlayStation 4 Slim will be replacing the larger model that has been available since 2013 on retail shelves.

OjGrECr.gif

KiU681U.jpg
sMTfqNz.jpg

HhwlouP.jpg
DShOaTD.jpg

SUQtxgM.jpg

AW8ihHk.png

7bWgqFV.jpg

qHM70fB.jpg

ldfHI61.png

npqfAh2.jpg

Positives:
- 30% Smaller
- 16% Lighter
- 28% more energy efficient
- Power and Eject Buttons moved
- USB Port spacing has increased
- 5Ghz WiFi is supported
- Noise level reduction
- Runs cooler
- option to stand on its side

Negatives:
- No more Optical Port
- Still wobbles (lol)

+/- :
- Lightbar placement on controller changed
- System specs are the same
- Light bar on console removed

4K0MmJa.jpg

IGN “Unboxing” Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL5fEel7k6s

Digital Foundry "Hands-on" video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et2FMMJMGW0

gamesradar+ "unboxing"
http://www.youtube.com/embed/U8WGZh4UzBs

Slim Bundles announced:
NA/EU:
WKlENzV.jpg

(NHL is Canada specific)

Japan:
7sqNmqA.jpg

Future Bundles:
CDZuTt7.jpg
we6k6lb.jpg

(EU)

XGXCA8W.jpg

(NA/EU/JPN)

A3eihkC.jpg

Digital Foundry Hands-on
The console is smaller and more discrete, but this hasn't resulted in any kind of noticeable compromise to system performance. The key litmus test is this: given the choice between a brand new PS4 Slim and the existing CUH-1200 model, which one would I pick? Well, based on the couple of hours spent with the new hardware, it's a no-brainer - the new PS4 is a winner. Fundamentally, it addresses one of the weakest points of the current generation PlayStation 4 - the noise level: it appears to be significantly quieter in many scenarios.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-the-playstation-4-slim-cuh-2000

Ars Technica
The new PS4 is simply a cheaper, better-looking PS4 that'll slide into sleeker slots in your AV cabinet with few compromises. If you're new to the system, this is the console to buy—at least until the PS4 Pro arrives.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/ps4-slim-review-2/

Stuff
All told, the PS4 Slim improves on its predecessor in almost every way. It’s much smaller, lighter, quieter and cheaper. Some people will miss the optical connection, but otherwise this is a job well jobbed." "Better than the original PS4 in almost every way, the Slim is an awesome console if you're not a Pro-style gamer "
http://www.stuff.tv/sony/playstation-4-slim/review

Let's Play Video Games
“Overall, I really have no complaints about the PS4 Slim, besides the removal of the optical port which I have not ever personally used. It’s smaller, thinner, quieter, cooler, features a nicer controller with additional features, and I personally love the new matte curved design.”
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/review-playstation-4-slim/

VG24/7
“Its solid and the rounded edges are tactile – much more welcoming than the sharp corners of the launch model. The singular shiny PS logo is the only flamboyance on an otherwise subtle machine.”
https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/13/ps4-slim-review/

FAQ:
Q: What colors does the console come in?
A: Black

Q: What is in the retail PS4 box?
A: Console, controller, HDMI cable, Micro USB cable, power cable, earbud/mic

Q: Can I still buy and OG model PS4?
A: Only until retail supplies last! You may be able to find a deal online in the meantime.

Q: Is the new DS4 any better?
A: Outside of the lightbar move to the top of the controller, there is only a slight change in color to the d-pad and analog sticks on the new DS4, (grey tone contrasting with the solid black of the original DS4. What you really want to know: Only time will tell if the thumb sticks hold up better than the original...
- The new DS4 can directly connect the controller to the console and send signals by USB.

Q: Is the Slim model have a 4k BD player?
A: NO

Q: Will PS4 Slim get HDR
A: Yes, available upon launch (with update or pre-installed)

j7XazZD.png

JP

The Final Fantasy XV bundle is also headed to the rest of the world.

EDIT:
I mean both the the bundle with the FF XV branded Ps4 and the bundle that includes a standard black PS4.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think its much nicer looking than the original PS4 but I'll be upgrading to the much uglier Pro instead.

Also I still can't believe they pack in the same shitty earbud mic nobody actually likes or uses. Shit is the worst.

McHuj

Kind of curious if any site has done any load time tests with SSD's to see if they have improved over the OG.

Cornbread78

The Final Fantasy XV bundle is also headed to the rest of the world.

EDIT:
I mean both the the bundle with the FF XV branded Ps4 and the bundle that includes a standard black PS4.

Thanks for pointing that out, I thought it was JPN specific!

I added a new column for it!

cheez124

does the noise reduction refer to the drives and stuff or the fans? my launch ps4 sounds like a jet engine when i'm in the ACC in MGSV, i was hoping that the slim's fans would be quieter

winstano

We got ours today - I'm actually really impressed with the form factor in person. The disc drive still vibrates a bit (which has the tendency to carry through my furniture), but that's the same with all consoles I've had. 5GHz wifi seems a bit more reliable and a nice touch, I'm just gutted about the lack of the optical port, as if it was there I'd happily trade up to this as my primary console

Arttemis

I want one... As soon as there's a retailer trade in deal for PS4 to a Slim or a Pro that's worth more than $150, I'm upgrading to one, and buying the other outright.

Pro in the living room, Slim in the bedroom.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This is the device I was waiting for to jump on the PS4 bandwagon.

- 30% Smaller
- 16% Lighter
- Noise level reduction
- Runs cooler

All the stuff I knew would one-day come in a slim, and I was in no rush. And here it is!

...but they had to go and make the goddamned Pro, and now I'm getting that instead, and getting a PS4 that is WORSE in every single bullet point above. w2g me.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This is the device I was waiting for to jump on the PS4 bandwagon.

- 30% Smaller
- 16% Lighter
- Noise level reduction
- Runs cooler

All the stuff I knew would one-day come in a slim, and I was in no rush. And here it is!

...but they had to go and make the goddamned Pro, and now I'm getting that instead, and getting a PS4 that is WORSE in every single bullet point above. w2g me.

You sound 100% exactly like me. But I'm still undecided.

Aceofspades

Banned
Sony engineers have done a marvelous job with this revision. 30% smaller than OG, internal PB and Noise levels compared to OG XB1 and lower than XB1 S.

Some serious engineering feat.

BigEmil

Slim's 5ghz/AC WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 from 2.1, HDMI 2.0 upgrades also makes this a big improvement over the OG PS4.

Along with the other benefits noted will be trading in my old OG PS4 for the Slim and it'll tide me well for the rest of this gen till PS5 :p ...and not buying a 4K TV this early may around 2020. Too soon

Unknown?

Wow the side by side makes the slim really look much nicer than the OG imo.

I want but I'll be waiting for the Pro..

Mediking

5 people will be buying this, huh? The PS4 install base is so huge that it's actually hard for me to imagine people actually buying this.

Unknown?

Do we have any idea how much the 1tb one will cost? Im assuming 350?

Was going to jump in on the slim this week.
There won't be a 1 tb slim, I don't think. What would be the point when the Pro is 1tb to make it more premium and that's only $50 less.

I'm interested in how the Pro's noise level will compare to the Slim and the OG PS4. I wonder when preview units will be sent to the media?

There won't be a 1 tb slim, I don't think. What would be the point when the Pro is 1tb to make it more premium and that's only $50 less.

There is a 1tb model in Europe. The 500gb is £259 and the 1tb is £309. The Pro is £350.

Kazooie

Banned
Still in disbelief that it is £259 when the One S is £249 with FIFA/Battlefield.

Ah well. The console itself looks much nicer than the Pro. I will probably wait to see if a really nice limited edition console turns up and if it does I will swap my OG for it. The simple matte finish will lend itself really well to custom designs.

Nice post OP.
You could include a section for HDMI to optical devices for some people.

Better yet, include a section which explains what HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) is. SO MANY people continue to run an optic cable unnecessarily, when they could be using ARC. Virtually every HDMI 1.4+ receiver and television supports it and eliminates the need for optic cables.

ar4757

5 people will be buying this, huh? The PS4 install base is so huge that it's actually hard for me to imagine people actually buying this.

Your Persona love is so huge that it's actually hard for me to imagine you still haven't played P2 Mediking

Reven

I would consider trading in my launch console for one if the US got the NHL bundle, but no dice. I'm probably gonna be getting the Pro on launch so I hope they have a bundle with NHL for that.

hongcha

I sold my OG PS4 about 6 months ago (for nearly as much as I paid). I'll be picking up a Slim as I like the price, size, noise level, power usage, and I don't care very much about the extra juice from the Pro.

Top Bottom