• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Slim |OT| Svelte, Efficient, and now, with less Optical flair

The more I look at the design, the more I feel like the PS4 logo on the front takes away from the visual simplicity. I think without it, it'd look slicker. Just the PS logo on top would look very nice.

It looks good overall though. But I think that's why I didn't initially care for the design and it's such a small thing.

Cornbread78

Meanings it's faulty then? Really wanna know if I should put the OG PS4 in the bedroom, if it has 4k streaming, or just give it away.

It's that whole Jeff Rigby thing, lol.

Didn't the 4.0 HDR update enable it on the OG systems? I dodn't see it in the update notes though.. something to take a closer look into.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any word on if the Slim/Pro support SATA III? I'm guessing no since we've heard nothing about it but wanted to check.

It's that whole Jeff Rigby thing, lol.

Didn't the 4.0 HDR update enable it on the OG systems? I dodn't see it in the update notes though.. something to take a closer look into.

HDR and 4k are not the same thing. Just because something allows HDR, doesn't mean it allows 4k.

As far as I know, the PS4 Slim and original do not allow 4k playback.

Cornbread78

Oh, really? Do you have an Amazon link? Apparently I'm off my game today, cause can't find it there.
I don't see it on Amazon, but:

(UK site)
http://www.thehut.com/ps4-accessori...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMaO8KDQj88CFQJqAQod2l0DDg

This one is not available until 11/11:
http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-4-slim-pro-vertical-stand/136004

HDR and 4k are not the same thing. Just because something allows HDR, doesn't mean it allows 4k.
As far as I know, the PS4 Slim and original do not allow 4k playback.

Yeah, I figured as much, but it's weird how all the spec sheets list 4K there.

Levito

Banned
Picking mine up tomorrow.

I see some people saying "why get this when the pro is coming?" well in my case, here's why:

-My launch PS4 is dying and EB games is halving the price of the slim if you trade it in.
-I primarily play on PC, I have a GTX 1080 and if I want 4K that's where I'll go. Plus the Pro doesn't seem to retroactively make games perform better in 1080p unless the developers patch it.
-I don't even have a 4K TV yet
-This is smaller, more energy efficient then the existing PS4.

I'm hearing conflicting things on whether it's quieter though? Digital Foundry said it's quieter, but other reviews are saying it's about the same as the OG PS4.

MaKTaiL

The lack of optical output is a real bummer. The HDMI Out Port from my reciever is broken so I plug my PS4 directly to the TV and the surround sound comes from the optical cable connected to the reciever. Glad I have the original PS4 though. I hope it doesn't become a trend and they don't leave it out in future releases like PS5. At least PS4 Pro has it :)

The lack of optical output is a real bummer. The HDMI Out Port from my reciever is broken so I plug my PS4 directly to the TV and the surround sound comes from the optical cable connected to the reciever. Glad I have the original PS4 though. I hope it doesn't become a trend and they don't leave it out in future releases like PS5. At least PS4 Pro has it :)

Plug an optical cable from your tv to your receiver and then your tv will act as the pass-through.

That is how i get sound from my computer passed through to my surround sound when i plug my pc into my tv.

MaKTaiL

Plug an optical cable from your tv to your receiver and then your tv will act as the pass-through.

That is how i get sound from my computer passed through to my surround sound when i plug my pc into my tv.
Depending on how the TV handles the sound you might lose a lot of the quality if not all of it.

Depending on how the TV handles the sound you might lose a lot of the quality if not all of it.

hdmi is lossless so you won't lose anything by plugging the ps4 to the tv. Optical is already compressed when passing anything over 2 channels. The receiver will be doing the work there to decode and play the sound. As long as he souce is decent it will sound good. It's clearly not as good as connecting an hdmi directly into the receiver but when i watch movies i have stored on my pc on my big screen it sounds great.

decisions

I think I'm gonna buy the XV Slim just because I love the way it looks and I don't have a 4K TV.

It gets HDR, it's more aesthetically pleasing, it's quiet...the Pro doesn't really bring that much of a difference...Is this a good choice?

Cornbread78

How the fuck does the redesign do the wobble
I think that was a joke right op?

Well, about that.... ars Technica said:

That's about it for the console itself, other than to say that—like the original PS4—the new PS4 rocks a wee bit when laid down flat on a table. Only some of the square, triangle, circle, and cross symbols that adorn the bottom of the console are raised up and made of rubber. Why not just make them all the same height? Not that you'd go around gently prodding PS4s to test their balance—and if you do, I'd suggest trying another pastime, knitting perhaps?—but still, it's an odd design quirk

We need testers, lol

Anhkow

Q: Is the new DS4 any better?
A: Outside of the lightbar move to the top of the controller, there is only a slight change in color to the d-pad and analog sticks on the new DS4, (grey tone contrasting with the solid black of the original DS4. What you really want to know: Only time will tell if the thumb sticks hold up better than the original...

The new DS4 can directly connect the controller to the console and send signals by USB.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/09/the_new_ps4_controller_offers_more_than_just_another_lightbar

Yawnny

I already have an OG PS4, but It's up in my living room used as my primary blu ray player.

I'll be buying a slim, to put with my PS3 slim, in my basement gaming room.

I'm honestly interested in the slim for less heat and less power consumption... Pro on the other hand... completely uninterested.

I was hoping to get it this week but now it says on my amazon order of the ps4 slim uncharted bundle that it will arrive on the september 27 which is lame

r3n4ud

I was hoping to get it this week but now it says on my amazon order of the ps4 slim uncharted bundle that it will arrive on the september 27 which is lame
wut

Still says it's being shipped today and delivered tomorrow for me. Buuuuut, I don't see that happening.

golem

I think I'm gonna buy the XV Slim just because I love the way it looks and I don't have a 4K TV.

It gets HDR, it's more aesthetically pleasing, it's quiet...the Pro doesn't really bring that much of a difference...Is this a good choice?

Games on a Pro will look massively better even on a 1080p screen.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

Same thing happened to me. Preorder cancelled, obviously. Not waiting two additional weeks after release because of reasons.

ViciousDS

Banned
If I wasn't getting a pro I would definitely pick one of these up as my original sounds like a jet engine playing any demanding game.

The slim design has really grown on me and I really really actually like it

I think I somehow got fucked on my Amazon order.
9rTPttL.png

Two Day Shipping my ass

kyser73

I'm honestly interested in the slim for less heat and less power consumption... Pro on the other hand... completely uninterested.

Sony: thank you for purchasing our product :)

OT: If I wasn't going Pro for my trade-8in is be all over this. Nice looking piece of kit.

ShadiWulf

Feeling really conflicted choosing between Pro and Slim. I don't own a normal PS4, been waiting out for a revision.

Slim is exactly what i wanted from a new PS4 revision, quieter, runs cooler, uses less power. Looks great.

But then there is the pro.. for only 100 dollars more, it's more future proofed. But it doesn't come out until November. Not to mention no doubt runs hotter and uses more power.

If I wait for the Pro, i gotta wait all the way to November, where as if i get a Slim, can buy it this week and have a great weekend of PS4 gaming fun.

I guess my only real concern is buying a Slim and then having buyers remorse when the Pro comes out. I'm mostly interested in Japanese games, and i don't see many of them taking advantage of the pro.. but there is still that element of the unknown..

Top Bottom