• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Slim |OT| Svelte, Efficient, and now, with less Optical flair

Any idea if it's possible to just insert the HDD from the old PS4 into the Slim? I'm using a trade in promotion and don't want to loose P.T. :(

That won't work! You have to use the backup and restore feature. You will need an external hard drive or a large enough flash drive to do it. You can't just swap the drive it will be formatted when you put it in a new system.

Guymelef

That won't work! You have to use the backup and restore feature. You will need an external hard drive or a large enough flash drive to do it. You can't just swap the drive it will be formatted when you put it in a new system.

You can use system transfer via LAN from firmware 4.0.

You can use system transfer via LAN from firmware 4.0.

Yes for anyone that will have both systems side by side you can use the new system transfer feature. If you are using a trade in program like Adan0s make sure and backup the old system, and restore to the new. You also want to make sure to deactivate your PS4 as primary before trading in.

To all those of you that have the Slim already, do you have any impressions on using Remote Play? Has there been any improvement to latency at all?

Adan0s

Yes for anyone that will have both systems side by side you can use the new system transfer feature. If you are using a trade in program like Adan0s make sure and backup the old system, and restore to the new. You also want to make sure to deactivate your PS4 as primary before trading in.

Great, thanks for the info and the reminder!

Levito

Banned
So I've spent several hours with the PS4 Slim, and here's my experience:

• The fans are super quiet, I played about two hours of Bloodborne and I couldn't hear them at all even if I muted the TV. On my launch system this game made the fans work loudly.
  • The disk drive is still kinda loud, but most games don't read constantly from the disk so you're not going to hear it often.
  • It doesn't put off as much heat as the launch PS4. My original PS4 used to heat up my apartment on its own, the Slim still puts off some heat but nothing like the OG console.
  • The design is really sleak. Some people miss the light bar, but you wont notice it once it's gone. Plus getting rid of the glossy finish of the HD face plate is especially nice.

Honestly if you own a launch system that's loud af and wanna replace it, I'd say take advantage of Gamestop/EB games trade in program right now. Some might say you shuold wait for the Pro, but if you don't care about 4K there isn't much reason to wait.

Good investment, I'm quite happy with it.

Coxy100

Banned
So I've spent several hours with the PS4 Slim, and here's my experience:

• The fans are super quiet, I played about two hours of Bloodborne and I couldn't hear them at all even if I muted the TV. On my launch system this game made the fans work loudly.
  • The disk drive is still kinda loud, but most games don't read constantly from the disk so you're not going to hear it often.
  • It doesn't put off as much heat as the launch PS4. My original PS4 used to heat up my apartment on its own, the Slim still puts off some heat but nothing like the OG console.
  • The design is really sleak. Some people miss the light bar, but you wont notice it once it's gone. Plus getting rid of the glossy finish of the HD face plate is especially nice.

Honestly if you own a launch system that's loud af and wanna replace it, I'd say take advantage of Gamestop/EB games trade in program right now. Some might say you shuold wait for the Pro, but if you don't care about 4K there isn't much reason to wait.

Good investment, I'm quite happy with it.
Thanks for the impressions matey!

modsbox

Got mine this morning. A few comments.

- really like the slightly tweaked controller. the light bar you can see on the trackpad is cool. with the light bar set to dim you can still see it, just barely. haven't tried the 'communicate via usb' option with it, but the option to do so is there in the menus (and it specifies it only works with the new model controller)

- swapping hdds was easy. i actually didn't even boot mine up with the stock 500gb drive, just transplanted a 2tb seagate into it, then did a full install of 4.0 from usb. worked great. system came with 3.55 preinstalled for those that are curious.

for those of you waiting on the 1tb version, maybe just save some money up front and put your own 2tb in? 2tb backup plus slim is $79.99 on amazon.

- runs quiet and cool for me so far. haven't tried a physical disk just yet, but when downloading and playing digital games it's very quiet.

cheez124

picked up my slim yesterday, really impressed with how quiet it is. sitting in the helicopter in MGSV used to make my launch PS4 sound like a plane taking off, but it doesn't even affect my ps4 slim. it's nearly as quiet as it was sitting in the home menu

overcast

My brother and I used to share our PS4 so we have a split on the data within that one. Anyone know the best way to transfer data in a specific manner?

I have my profile and all that.

Loudninja

My brother and I used to share our PS4 so we have a split on the data within that one. Anyone know the best way to transfer data in a specific manner?

I have my profile and all that.
Maybe a UBS drive?

Or this, not sure how it works
Data Transfer to New PS4

In order to make it easier to get all of your data from one PS4 to another, especially if you upgrade to PS4 Pro, we’ve added the ability to transfer data over a wired LAN connection. You can transfer games, user info, and saved data. Of course, you can re-download content and transfer saves through the cloud, but the LAN transfer should be much faster and easier.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/12/ps4-system-software-update-4-00-out-tomorrow/

chaosaeon

I actually liked the fading light strip on the original console itself and they removed it. To me this actually looks worse. And removing the optical port pretty much guarantees I'm not interested at all.

So called a gamestop near me and got the uncharted 4 slim bundle after i cancelled my amazon one, so happy now but cant try it out till midnight after work

melos

Has anybody seen the new dualshock 4 standalone in stores yet? Looking to get a new controller and was hoping to get the revised model.

ArchAngel

Tried it for a couple of hours with TTC. The fans seem to be as "loud" as my CUH-1200.
I can hear it almost anytime, except for the menu. Just don't expect Xbox One level of silence, just the best PS4 :)

So managed to buy one from BestBuy. Also managed to sell Uncharted for $40.00 since I already had it. Now im waiting to sell my original PS4. Whats a good price for selling a used original ps4 with 500gb and everything it came with in the box?

have tried MGS5 and Uncharted on the Slim, its really quiet, better than my launch unit which sounded like a jet engine. Now I need to try Doom which was the one game that made it sound way louder than the others. But have to wait until a friend gives it back since I lent it to him

I would have been pissed off had I decided to get one of these and it had no optical port. Wouldn't have been able to use my Astro A40s.

ktroopa

Throwing this in here in case anyone else has picked up the new PS4 Dualshock controller with BT 3.0.

Just tried to upgrade the battery from the standard 1000mah to 2000mah like i did with my OG DS4 and the new one wasnt having it :/ much easier to open with no L2/R2 springs to fly out but the battery connector plug that fits into the PCB on the pad has shrunk a little. The battery i picked up off ebay wont fit, im referring to the white connector part. So unless you can shave the plug which might be tricky with the size or find one that fits, am stuck with the standard shitty battery.

Unknown?

I know it has the same battery but that doesn't mean it doesn't have improved battery life, has anyone tested it yet?

Coxy100

Banned
if I buy a new hard drive in the future - can you copy across the contents of the entire current drive? (e.g. the actual saved game as well as your save files) or do you have to re-install / re-download all of your games?

Thanks!

hurzelein

It's such a joke that in the EU the 500GB Slim costs 299€, whereas I can get a new PS4 Fat for 199€ right now (many deals right now) and in 2 months the Pro 1Tb for 399€.

I want the 500GB Slim, but why give the US Uncharted 4 for free, and we get nothing? The 1TB Cod and Watchdogs Bundles are 1TB only and my guess is they will be 379 etc. Also they still need like 2 months.

ckohler

Can anyone check to see if their Slim has better Wifi performance? Yes, yes, I know it has 5G and 802.11ac support but I mean do they actually work?

The OG PS4 is notorious for having a terrible Wifi radio that can only do like 2-3mb upstream on 802.11n. Has this improved?

StereoVsn

Will the Pro support SSD full speeds? From what I've read OG Ps4 doesn't. Never had a SSD on it but from what I've read over the Internet is that it doesn't fully support those high speeds.
That's the big question. Does Slim support SATA3? Heck original PS4 even fed SATA2 connection over USB so it wasn't even full SATA2 speed.

I haven't seen anyone mention that in any teardowns.

Can anyone check to see if their Slim has better Wifi performance? Yes, yes, I know it has 5G and 802.11ac support but I mean do they actually work?

The OG PS4 is notorious for having a terrible Wifi radio that can only do like 2-3mb upstream on 802.11n. Has this improved?

The slim support 5Ghz and AC? I thought that was just the Pro.

edit: wow it's right there in the OP. That's cool.

Rushy

[*]The disk drive is still kinda loud, but most games don't read constantly from the disk so you're not going to hear it often.
FYI - No games read from disk. They're always 100% installed to the HDD. The disc merely spins up upon boot of the game to check the correct disc is present.

BigEmil

Are you sure the PS4 Slim has HDMI 2.0? I can't find that info anywhere apart from that random table in OP from no source
If it is HDMI 2.0 does it support 4K streaming like Netflix?

Top Bottom