• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Slim |OT| Svelte, Efficient, and now, with less Optical flair

Coxy100

Banned
Does anyone know - if I buy the 500GB version - can I then swap hard drives and transfer all my games I've installed (as well as the actual save files) so I don't have to re-install or re-download them?

Thanks

Carl

Does anyone know - if I buy the 500GB version - can I then swap hard drives and transfer all my games I've installed (as well as the actual save files) so I don't have to re-install or re-download them?

Thanks

No, you have to transfer the files via ps4. If you just swap hard drives it'll wipe it

Coxy100

Banned
No, you have to transfer the files via ps4. If you just swap hard drives it'll wipe it

Sorry - yeah I know you can transfer files - what I mean is can you only transfer your save files - or can you transfer any games you've installed / downloaded too?

Thanks

Man this thread is dead, looks like everyone is waiting for a Pro.

I thinlk its more to do with the majority on here who want a PS4 already have one.

Would like to see a white variant as I am interested in getting another PS4 for bedroom but I still think the OG PS4 is better looking.

ckohler

Can anyone with a slim and broadband go into Settings > Network > Test Network Connection and see what you're getting for speeds?

There has been a long standing issue with PS4 and not being able to get good upload speeds (wired or wireless). For example, I should get 15-20Mb upload but I only get 3.

Some people blame Sony's speed test servers. Others think Sony caps uploads in software.

I want to know.

Now that there is a new model with new hardware, we need people with good bandwidth to test this. I would test it but I'm saving for the Pro instead.

So, please, if you have good broadband and a Slim, do the community a favor and run the tests and let us know if anything has changed because nobody else is. All of the reviews out so far are amateur hour.

LowParry

Testing out Slim with Network:

5660176966.png

NAT Type 2
D/L: 115 Mbps
U/L: 6.6 Mbps

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have any idea of when to expect the DF review? I know they did that preliminary testing, but IIRC, that was at a preview event. I've been hoping to read their complete thoughts, and AFAIK, they haven't posted anything yet. Perhaps I mistakenly assumed one was coming?

LowParry

Thanks Ccrook. 6 is only half of twelve but it's better than 3. BTW, Are you wired or wireless?

Using wired.

Edit: Another thing to keep in mind I ran the test 3 times and got different results. I just posted my best results. However the Upload was always around the 6 range.

Can anyone with a slim and broadband go into Settings > Network > Test Network Connection and see what you're getting for speeds?

There has been a long standing issue with PS4 and not being able to get good upload speeds (wired or wireless). For example, I should get 15-20Mb upload but I only get 3.

Some people blame Sony's speed test servers. Others think Sony caps uploads in software.

I want to know.

Now that there is a new model with new hardware, we need people with good bandwidth to test this. I would test it but I'm saving for the Pro instead.

So, please, if you have good broadband and a Slim, do the community a favor and run the tests and let us know if anything has changed because nobody else is. All of the reviews out so far are amateur hour.

For comparison n my 2015 era PS4 I recently ran speed tests via both the built in tool and the DSLreport web page. Firmware test showed 88.0/6.6, the website test showed 108.0/8.8 and my Comcast is a 150.0/15.0 connection. The built in tool is very unreliable in my experience.

Coxy100

Banned
Well got my Slim today. Love it! I used to have a PS4 but sold it last year in the Spring. This one is so much smaller and quieter - so impressed. Fitted a 2tb drive so it's going to last me a long long time. Much prefer the UI to my Xbox one (so much quicker and I can find things easier. I love the addition of folders as well. The new controller is nice too, but obviously not much different.

All in all 1 happy customer! I wasn't bothered about the Pro at all.

I've had this thing for almost a week now, but something weird been happening the past 2 days. I was playing Destiny and screen would briefly just go black. And most recent I got some graphical glitches in game where the character would start to stretch/wrap. I went back to the system menu and fan just ramped up...until I closed the application(Destiny) in the quick menu. It's just happens randomly — I would play destiny for like an hour and not experience any issues at all.

Tillbo

Just got a Slim and have been using it for a bit of remote play...

Has anyone else experience much better performance than with the old model? I've always been able to get pretty good remote play but the range and stability just seems a fair bit better?

Not sure why, or what else may be causing it?

Cornbread78

Just got a Slim and have been using it for a bit of remote play...

Has anyone else experience much better performance than with the old model? I've always been able to get pretty good remote play but the range and stability just seems a fair bit better?

Not sure why, or what else may be causing it?

Are you using a 5ghz connection with the Slim? Maybe that is helping keep a stronger signal between the 2?

tzare

guys, do you think it is worth, for 50€ to change my almost one year old 500GB PS4 for a 1TB slim?

I thing it is worth for the extra GB and the better DS4 alone.
How have been experiences with slim units so far?

Tillbo

Are you using a 5ghz connection with the Slim? Maybe that is helping keep a stronger signal between the 2?

I have the console connected directly to the router and obviously using wifi to the vita? I know that the slim has better wifi but thought it would be bottle-necked by the Vita speed anyway?

eltercero

So, I'm getting my slim next friday. It'll be my first PS4, I'm very excited :)

I was thinking on putting it in a shelf below my TV, but I'm afraid it won't ventilate correctly. It's about 7,80 inches height. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Cornbread78

So, I'm getting my slim next friday. It'll be my first PS4, I'm very excited :)

I was thinking on putting it in a shelf below my TV, but I'm afraid it won't ventilate correctly. It's about 7,80 inches height. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Is it a closed shelf or open?

hongcha

I bought one of these the other day and I love it. Much better than the old PS4 I had, which was super noisy. This looks much better, is super quiet, and doesn't get too hot. I really prefer the small LED on the power button to the huge light down the middle of the console as well. This is the perfect PS4 for me. I also dig the slightly revised controller with the grey d-pad.

I've also noticed downloads are much faster on this one, compared to my old PS4. Not sure what's up with that.

viHuGi

Banned
I bought one of these the other day and I love it. Much better than the old PS4 I had, which was super noisy. This looks much better, is super quiet, and doesn't get too hot. I really prefer the small LED on the power button to the huge light down the middle of the console as well. This is the perfect PS4 for me. I also dig the slightly revised controller with the grey d-pad.

I've also noticed downloads are much faster on this one, compared to my old PS4. Not sure what's up with that.

i know people who got it they are super happy about it, very sleek machine indeed.

Lokbob

So my launch PS4 used to turn on my AV-receiver and TV automatically - doesn't work anymore with the slim. Am I just missing an option or did they remove this?

ctfg23

So my launch PS4 used to turn on my AV-receiver and TV automatically - doesn't work anymore with the slim. Am I just missing an option or did they remove this?
I don't have a slim but if you go to Settings>System is HDMI Link turned on?

My brother's PS4 Slim came in from Walmart today and I want to know if the issue he's having is normal. When we put a disc into the drive, it's very loud. It's not the fan, but it sounds like the disc drive sounds VERY loud and does not stop even when playing a game. Game downloads work with no issues, but just physical games :(

Make me feel better about my purchase PS4-GAF.

We won't be upgrading to a 4K TV for at least a year, probably two, and our new apartment setup won't accommodate our modem/router in the same room as the TV, although the 5Ghz WiFi is pretty strong and isolated from the neighbors' mostly 2.4Ghz signals.

How is the WiFi reception on this bad boy, and have I made a huge mistake by not getting more power and flip-flops with a Pro, compared to the awesome Amazon deal with Uncharted for $212?

Quick! Someone make me feel ok about my spur of the moment purchase!

Astral Dog

Bought a PS4 SLIM for FFXV and think im one of the only ones.

I still play on my old 720p TV (great for 360 and Wii U games) despite having 3 or 4 1080p around the house so Slim was a good choice, love the design and how quiet it is, and you can play your favorite PS4 games on the thing.
No regrets so far :D

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a PS4 Slim when Amazon had it for $212. I'm a first-time Sony console owner (yes, you read that right). Anyone have any tips about the Slim, PS4 in general, or Sony's Playstation products/ecosystem?

We won't be upgrading to a 4K TV for at least a year, probably two, and our new apartment setup won't accommodate our modem/router in the same room as the TV, although the 5Ghz WiFi is pretty strong and isolated from the neighbors' mostly 2.4Ghz signals.

How is the WiFi reception on this bad boy, and have I made a huge mistake by not getting more power and flip-flops with a Pro, compared to the awesome Amazon deal with Uncharted for $212?

I did the same. So, uhh, feel assured because I never make bad decisions?
I totally do, but shhhh.

Bought a PS4 SLIM for FFXV and think im one of the only ones.

I still play on my old 720p TV (great for 360 and Wii U games) despite having 3 or 4 1080p around the house so Slim was a good choice, love the design and how quiet it is, and you can play your favorite PS4 games on the thing.
No regrets so far :D

Bought a PS4 Slim when Amazon had it for $212. I'm a first-time Sony console owner (yes, you read that right). Anyone have any tips about the Slim, PS4 in general, or Sony's Playstation products/ecosystem?

I did the same. So, uhh, feel assured because I never make bad decisions?
I totally do, but shhhh.

I've been subsisting on a loaner PS4 from my buddy since my OG was fried by lightning through the coax cable earlier this year. In the meantime I let my PS-Plus lapse and have just been playing offline. I can't wait to get all my game saves back and restart Witcher 3.

I still want to know what the WiFi situation is, but I suppose i'll know in a week or so when it arrives. I will wait on FF XV, but I suspect i'll get pulled into it when my friend gets her copy and we can have skype parties while comparing builds and my wife can laugh at us and our nerdy ways.

My only suggestion for the Sony ecosystem is to not leave a credit-card attached to the account. I buy cards through Amazon and then load them into the PS4 for purchases. It's a bit paranoid, but I prefer having that little bit of air-gap between my finances and Sony's IT security. Also remember that you can add the monthly PS-Plus games to your library without downloading them. I still have free games from launch I haven't played, but will at some point.

jrDev

Got it for my birthday from the Black Friday deal with 3 games (Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and Last of Us)! It is so tiny and compact, I love it! Now I will sit and wait for Horizon! Should I get FF15?

Man, seeing the low prices on Slim units make me want to sorta buy one...but I don't need it. It'd be a super frivolous purchase, lol.

I mean, I guess a legit excuse to get one would be have a quieter console compared to my loud launch unit.

Cornbread78

I was going to with the Best Buy deal but since that is gone, I will wait till the price drops to <$40, I currently have a lot to play.

Gotcha, well, hopefully it's part of a Christmas sale, lol.

I bought waaay too many games with very little time to play, but I can't wait to boot up FF tomm. night!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
My brother's PS4 Slim came in from Walmart today and I want to know if the issue he's having is normal. When we put a disc into the drive, it's very loud. It's not the fan, but it sounds like the disc drive sounds VERY loud and does not stop even when playing a game. Game downloads work with no issues, but just physical games :(

Are you sure the game is fully installed, disc based games do a quick pre-load and then allow you to play from the disc while its installing to the hard drive.

Some big games like Doom or Uncharted can take an hour before they have fully installed, once they are installed fully the disc should stop spinning after a few minutes.

Eanan

Has anyone been able to get the HDR enabled games to work in HDR (such as Infamous SS and Last of us remastered) on the slim (or any ps4 other than the PRO) as I have a HDR TV (Xbox one s works fine with hdr games) but these games wont work in HDR on the ps4.

I also cant seem to find a definitive answer online if that the older pre Pro PS4s can actually play games in HDR. Anyone know?

Top Bottom