• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Graphics “Can Be As Realistic As Movies,” Says Epic Games

kretos

Banned
The next-generation capabilities of PlayStation 5, combined with the newly evolved Unreal Engine 5, will allow developers to produce photoreal graphics. Epic Games believes that the level of immersion which next-generation games can explore will finally offer movie-quality gaming for the masses.

Speaking with the Official PlayStation Magazine for the latest issue, Epic Games’ chief technology officer Kim Libreri exclaimed that “it has been a lifelong dream” of his to witness games that are “as believable and realistic” as big-budgeted Hollywood blockbusters. Libreri has full confidence that the next-generation graphics and processing feats of PlayStation 5, powered by Unreal Engine 5, will make that lifelong dream of his come true.

more: https://segmentnext.com/2020/07/03/playstation-5-graphics-realistic-epic-games/

I don't know why he's singling out PS5, but yeah I also think next-gen games will reach parity with CG.

Of course CG will always have advantages, like better IQ, better fluid simulation and hair rendering, more robust ray tracing etc. But without pixel peeping, I think we'll see environments this gen that are indistinguishable from CG..

Human characters and creatures in general still won't be photoreal obviously

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I read an interview once on a Queen fan site with Brian May, and he really said a lot of nice things about Queen, and how good a band they are. Oddly not once did he mention Def Lepard...

In other words, what would you expect somebody to say to the official playstation magazine? Much less when they have a contract in place to do this? That both consoles can deliver incredible visuals as realistic as movies...?

Now THAT would be a thread.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don't know why he's singling out PS5, but yeah I also think next-gen games will reach parity with CG.

Of course CG will always have advantages, like better IQ, better fluid simulation and hair rendering, more robust ray tracing etc. But without pixel peeping, I think we'll see environments this gen that are indistinguishable from CG..

SSD.

Stuart360

Speaking with the Official PlayStation Magazine for the latest issue

Last edited:

GetemMa

giphy.gif

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
PS4 already delivered that with TO1886 .. it’s not about graphics .. it’s about story gameplay story gameplay then everything else I don’t care about how realistic this game is

JordanN

Banned
Epic Games believes that the level of immersion which next-generation games can explore will finally offer movie-quality gaming for the masses.

Serious question: who asked for this?

I thought we were suppose to play video games, not just stare at them?

2UBaCfp.jpg

Every generation , we always hear about more "movie-like" games yet the actual games are taking forever to come out now.

Last edited:
We've been hearing this over and over for so long now.

And I might be the only one, but I never want my games to look like movies.

//DEVIL//

here comes the playstation bullshit hype we get every pre release. starting from the emotion engine till this day. never fails. a GPU that isnt even as powerful as 2080 super all the sudden can do movie like shit when that 1000$ card alone cant.

please epic stop. you will just look like sad sellouts .

"it can be" not that it will be. Some of you sure "can be" a bit sensitive when it comes to next gen console talk. The sensitivity will be reaching TLOU2 levels soon :messenger_tears_of_joy: Why do people click through to a thread that you know will piss you off? At this point, I think Epic is just doing this to see how mad people can get.

I thought about starting a thread with the title "Playstation 5 is actually MORE powerful than Series X" Says Epic Boss Tim Sweeney... just to see what would happen. That thread would get clicked immediately.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
can be, but their idiot devs would focus on native 4k with expensive ray tracing instead of common sense 1440p or 4kcb with photorealistic graphics.

onQ123

They can now use the same assets because of SSDs the key is to have good lighting & animation

Matsuchezz

Probably they are going to drop a new game down the road that it is going to impress everyone. Was Gears of wars their last game that impressed Graphics wise?

Xplainin

Banned
here comes the playstation bullshit hype we get every pre release. starting from the emotion engine till this day. never fails. a GPU that isnt even as powerful as 2080 super all the sudden can do movie like shit when that 1000$ card alone cant.

please epic stop. you will just look like sad sellouts .
And the funny thing is Sony themselves arnt saying shit. Their proxies like Jason Shreier have seen shilling hard for them.

Top Bottom