• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 |LAUNCH OT| No limits

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have a question.

Its possible see games in 8k or only will be 4k?

And can anyone put Gravity Rush 1 and 2 in ps5 and tell me if it works and how it run please?

Romulus

One of the best free games on PS4. It had huge issues with performance and loading times, and it seems both are cleaned up on PS5

Reactions: MrS

jaysius

Banned
I don't recommend putting the Series X horizontally into your entertainment stand, I did that with my Series X and it was extremely hot and loud by the end of the day. But when I switch to it to the horizontal position outside of my entertainment stand it ran a lot cooler and was silent.

I would recommend having both consoles stand up vertically because that position is best for air flow, especially for the Series X.

Was the Series X tight on both sides with little room for air to circulate?

DonF

God speed, ameribros. I will not be joining the next gen anytime soon. The ps5 disc version is $900 here, and the more affordable digital version its just $700 and availability is low AF.

I'll wait a little bit to see if prices drop.

This pricing is just abusive, specially considering that the series X is $700. We are being charged a Sony premium.

Duellist

Hello Gaf,

WakWWQw.jpg

kUw0PFC.jpg

2j8VWUY.jpg

Bye Gaf,
Wow it's like your entertainment center was made for the ps5! Looks awesome man

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’d also like to ask if any Gaffers have seen any issues with External SSD using the rear ports causing any issues. From what I can see on Reddit the advice is to use the usb-c port on the front to connect just to be safe. Hope they patch this quickly. I bought myself a nice new SSD for storing PS4 games on and have them all transferred and ready to go for next week (EU). I imagine if this is widespread they will have a patch quickly......

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Really loving this. Astro Bot is such an awesome pack-in! Demon's alone was worth the purchase price.

Been trying out random games to make sure and yeah pretty much everything works.

I tried Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, and that game usually takes almost a full minute to load on PS4. Loading time on PS5 was like 15 seconds.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is just some guy on Twitter...any other reports of this?

Digging into it, no one is clear what is causing it. But it is bricking systems.

One theory is the PS4 > PS5 LAN data transfer.
Another is external drives.
And there is evidence that rest mode (with certain games) is broken.

Moogle11

Banned
Anyone else’s disc drive loud as fuck when installing?

Have heard some say both PS5 and XSX drives are kind of loud when installing games, but fine when play movie Blurays/UHDs. May just spin faster to speed up game installs than it does for playing movies. If so fine by me as I need it more quiet when watching movies, but not a biggie if loud when installing games.

apowhungo

im going to grab a resell one right now.

can anyone do me a huge fav and give me the dimensions of the box? wondering if i can bike this puppy home on my back

Romulus

Iron Man VR

Ars technica :

In my testing, an Iron Man VR campaign level that loaded in 126 seconds on PS4 Pro now takes 78 seconds when installed to PS5's internal NVMe storage or 100 seconds when installed to an external, platter-based drive. And where the campaign level in question (Chapter 3, in virtual Shanghai) was once the game's most obvious source of stuttering, it now runs at a locked 120Hz (albeit driven by interpolation from 60Hz). And it does this no matter how many robots or effects appear in the game world.

Super underrated game too imo, can be very challenging and the sense of flight is incredible. First time I've felt somewhat close to being a superhero in a videogame.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
And 3:00 is a bust....had one in my cart AGAIN at Walmart just like at noon and the site shits the bed.

Seriously....fuck you Walmart. I don't know who to be more angry at, Sony or these fucking retailers who clearly can't handle a console release in 2020. :lollipop_ogre::lollipop_ogre::lollipop_ogre::lollipop_ogre::lollipop_ogre::lollipop_ogre::lollipop_ogre:

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Yeah it seems like they don't want me to buy this so i'll just wait until later or after the holidays or something. It's not a must have item!

LordCBH

Is there anyway to do simultaneous downloads? I put in a game disc and it said it was “queue’d for copying” and was out at the bottom of the download list?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
First impressions:
This thing is comically large.
The disc drive is really loud. Should be fine once I'm done installing though.
UI is slick
Set up was super easy. Just scan a QR code with my phone and a few quick prompts.

I didn't do a PS4 transfer yet due to the random stuff I've been reading.

Arkam

Do you have it hooked up through an AVR? Maybe try changing the ends of the HDMI from the console to the TV, it might be a HDCP handshake quirk, the PS4 Pro had it but Sony didn't acknowledge it.

Did you have anything else 4k connected to the SAME HDMI port? There might be a setting to enable 4K mode somewhere squirreled away in options on your TV, Sony is really good a burying options in their TV's.
Its a a direct connect. Had my Switch on that port before. Will try the port I have my X1X is on. I am thinking you are right about some HDCP handshake issue. Will try another cable too.

jaysius

Banned
Its a a direct connect. Had my Switch on that port before. Will try the port I have my X1X is on. I am thinking you are right about some HDCP handshake issue. Will try another cable too.

It might also be a per HDMI port setting Sony has a weird way of having features OFF by default. I hope it gets resolved.

Romulus

Just watched a stream of The Crew 2 on PS5. The loading from NYC to LA went from about 20 seconds to 2 seconds lol

Grinchy

Banned
Its currently taking literal minutes to add each game from the PS+ Collection.

And it just called my Demons Souks disc "unknown" and ready to play

haha ok a restart fixed it

Last edited:

kingwingin

Unfortunate to hear the disc drive is loud, thought they mentioned in the teardown video they put extra effort into making to quiet.

As long as movies are quiet ill survive

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Unfortunate to hear the disc drive is loud, thought they mentioned in the teardown video they put extra effort into making to quiet.

Someone else had a similar exp, and it turned out they didnt have the stand the system sets on connected correctly. Once they fixed that, the noise went away.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I canceled the PS4->PS5 transfer because it was including games. Is there a way to just move over saves?

Edit: I'm now thinking the saves are with the games, so my PS4 games on the USB external have the saves with them. Need to test this.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

My disc drive is actually not loud at all. Much quieter than the Pro I have.

I did some more testing and it is only loud when doing most of the install. After that it is nice and quiet. I don't hear it at all while playing.

Komatsu

I did some more testing and it is only loud when doing most of the install. After that it is nice and quiet. I don't hear it at all while playing.

After the install, the disc is only there as a DRM device. The vast majority of the contents are run from the hard drive.

That said, it did not seem that loud to me.

First impressions:
This thing is comically large.
The disc drive is really loud. Should be fine once I'm done installing though.
UI is slick
Set up was super easy. Just scan a QR code with my phone and a few quick prompts.

I didn't do a PS4 transfer yet due to the random stuff I've been reading.
What random stuff is that?

Yes tons. GO look on the ps5 subreddit plenty of people's ps5 bricking. I know it happened to ACG and anything journalist on twitter as well
If by tons you mean a small handful of threads, where most people are talking about how much it sucks, but very few followups say it happened to them too.

Like I said earlier, there's always some that will brick. There's Series X brick reports too. It's just the incredibly sucky nature of new tech.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Saw one of the people whose systems bricked said they just did a transfer. Probably just a bad unit but I don’t plan on playing any PS4 games soon so I figured I’d just wait until more info is out.

All of my PS4 games are installed on an external. So I'm not going to even bother to try to transfer anything.

Anyone here military (Or fam military) needing a PS5? I saw on slickdeals they are available at a military outlet for $480 and i believe you don't have to pay tax on that as well...

Like the base exchange? Haven't seen it on the website yet but everything is tax free there.

Edit: Damn it they just loaded it today and it's sold out.

Last edited:

bicen

Neo Member
Was able to grab a PS5 up on Sony Direct today at 3PM EST. The key is to stay on the website and refresh every now and then so that you don't get logged out. Tomorrow, when they release more consoles for purchase, you will be able to skip the queue and purchase the console immediately. I had a buttery smooth experience after trying for more than 8 hours on several sites. I also read that if you do get onto the site late, you can bypass the queue by hitting the 'X' to cancel the load and avoid being entered into a queue. Not entirely sure if this works because I didn't enter into the queue, but it's worth a shot if you find out about the drop late. God speed, everyone.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Man, my son and I are having a blast. Spider-Man miles Morales and Demons Souls download fast as all get out. We started with Astro’s Playroom and lord has mercy the controller is something special. We are now replaying Spider-Man remastered, then Miles Morales.

Tonight I shall venture into DS.

Ataraxia

I'm not hearing the noise others have reported. So far it's been completely silent save for when I was installing Evil Within 2 from the disk. With the room being silent you could slightly hear the disk spinning for a few seconds.

Top Bottom