• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 |LAUNCH OT| No limits

Grinchy

Banned
The PS5 subreddit is in full blown panic mode and that sub usually sounds like paid pr for sony. What games are you playing? I've also heard that you have to have both PS4 and 5 versions of Cold War installed to play the game. That's 300+ gigs. I'm going to flip a shit if that's real.
The COD thing will make me flip my shit too. I'll be finding out about that one in the next 10 minutes...

But I've played astro, demons souls, copied ps4 games over from my Pro, and checked out monster hunter. I've taken some videos and screens.

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
look how she shines

nFcBV9u.jpg

The COD thing will make me flip my shit too. I'll be finding out about that one in the next 10 minutes...

But I've played astro, demons souls, copied pd5 games over from my Pro, and checked out monster hunter. I've taken some videos and screens.

Did you buy ps5 version of COD or cross gen bundle? I bought the cross gen digitally a month back to get access to beta and I better not have to have both versions installed.

MrMephistoX

Yep. Feel the same way. Really does feel fresh and makes the PS4 really dated by comparison. The draw distance in Myles Morales is insane. The controller is constantly blowing my mind. Very happy with the purchase.

It’s really great night and day difference in terms of that next gen feeling compared to the Series X running old games super well.

Only issue is I’m already practically out of space allocated to downloads so I need to sort out an external SSD: 1TB on the digital only version was a mistake.

jaysius

Banned
look how she shines

nFcBV9u.jpg

Yikes, you don't care about air flow too much, I'm guessing you CLOSE those doors too, don't you?

If you want a PS5 with a long life DON'T CLOSE THOSE DOORS. Maybe take it out of there altogether.

Use and handling
• Do not use the console in a closed cabinet or other locations where heat may build up. Doing so may cause the console to overheat and may lead to fire, injury or malfunction
Page 1
Vents Do not block any vents. To maintain good ventilation, follow the guidelines below:
Place the console at least 10 cm (4 in) away from a wall surface.(in this case replace "WALL SURFACE" with "Side of entertainment center")
• Do not place on a carpet or rug with long fibers.
Do not place in a narrow or cramped space.
• Do not cover with cloth. • Do not allow dust to build up on the vents. Use a cleaning tool such as a vacuum cleaner to remove dust buildup.
Page 5

Before some moron tried to tell me I DON'T UNDERSTAND AIR FLOW like last time, I think even the craziest fuck can understand this source IS RELIABLE. I still can't believe that someone argued that point with me last time. Don't let your inner fanboi get in the way of understand BASIC electronics, it's not because the thing has INEFFICENT ANYTHING, thats not at all what I'm saying, it's because THINGS NEED AIR FLOW.

IF you stick your PS5 OR ANY electronic DEVICE that gives off HEAT "WHERE IT BARELY FITS" you're going to have a BAD TIME.

Move it or don't, laugh at this or don't but if you can't trust what SONY ITSELF is telling you about how NOT TO SLOWLY KILL your $500 MACHINE, then whatever.

When we start to see people with issues directly/indirectly from heat, talking about the machine failing in weird ways. This will be the culprit.

Don't be too proud to be told some basic advice.

EDIT: The PS5 SUCKS AIR IN THE FRONT so it NEEDS to not be CROWDED all around. Some people have a failing of the basic design of the machine, and don't want to follow the device's own manufacturing instructions.

IN this particular case of "Art of Killing a Console" piece here, the guy doesn't understand that even though the PS5 blows air out of it's back, some of it will likely get caught in that tiny entertainment center box, and recirculated back into it, nothing is 100% efficient. It won't kill it right away it might make weird shit happen over time and it's so simple to avoid this. The ambient air temp in that tiny spot will be WARMER because of the PS5... so it'll be sucking in warmer than room temp air.

Calling 5th grade names doesn't fix the issue of how things work. Not sure why I bothered trying to help the helpless.

Last edited:
If you’re using an old external, try a different one. My issues came from the external Ithink. A different external solved the issue for me.

I should’ve been clued in to my issue when it said Yakuza 7 would take 4 hours to install off the disk to my original external lol

Thats the thing I was playing demon souls and I don't even have an internal hooked up. Hell when I try to install ps4 games it says the games are being added to the queue but they never are. And when I try to install god of war for some reason it asks me to put in an external, though i never had one hooked up.

Just seems really odd and im afraid ima brick the thing. Gonna get back on the pc and play some black ops and try again after seeing if any type of fixes occur.

LordCBH

Thats the thing I was playing demon souls and I don't even have an internal hooked up. Hell when I try to install ps4 games it says the games are being added to the queue but they never are. And when I try to install god of war for some reason it asks me to put in an external, though i never had one hooked up.

Just seems really odd and im afraid ima brick the thing. Gonna get back on the pc and play some black ops and try again after seeing if any type of fixes occur.

Hmmmm that’s bizarre as hell. I hope it gets fixed quickly for you! If I see anyone out there on the internet with that problem I’ll see if they have any suggestions or potential fixes

I just got this thing set up tonight and I keep getting database is corrupted messages on the main menu. I don't have anything connected to my PS5 so I don't know why this keeps happening.

THEAP99

Banned
I get mine tomorrow but I'm seeing people report a shitload of problems. Part of me doesn't want to take it out of the box now.

Oh god. Me too dude. It'll be arriving today. I'm absolutely horrified of what may come.

I'm taking these preventive steps to prevent any bricking or issues

• Right out of the box, I will let the console air itself out before being turned on and put to use. Reason being is it's been in packaging all week and probably cold weather. So I want it to adjust and adapt to room temperature for an hour or two before I turn it on
  • I will be turning off rest mode
  • I will not be using my external hardrive just yet until there's an update that hopefully fixes those issues
  • I'm honestly scared to even download any ps4 games and mess with my ps plus cloud saves
  • I will avoid spider-man remastered because that's causing a lot of issues as well
  • I will also avoid using an ethernet cable
Hopefully they roll out a patch asap that fixes all these issues people are reporting. I did get the digital edition after all which I think is better and prone to less failures as the blu-ray sound is apparently loud on many consoles & it's having trouble reading discs and such. Most of the bricked consoles I've seen are even the blu-ray edition.

Tom Warren has noticed it as well.

All in all, I'm pretty much gonna stick to demon's souls and miles morales and astrobot for these first few weeks of ps5 until Sony gets this stuff shorted out. It's really scare and bad what's going on. I hope we can avoid it and you can use my steps as well to help you.

Last edited:
Hmmmm that’s bizarre as hell. I hope it gets fixed quickly for you! If I see anyone out there on the internet with that problem I’ll see if they have any suggestions or potential fixes

Appreciate you..i see some folks on the ps5 subreddit and the other forum saying some of the same things. Hopefully it aint really about nothin 🤷🏾‍♂️

kingwingin

Fuck this system is slick. Triggers are crazy weird with the tension and demons souls is true next gen.

Only complaint is its too big for my tv stand. I knew series x wouldn't fit but damn this thing is huge!

Next few years are going to be legendary

Reactions: Isa

LOLCats

Banned
Yikes, you don't care about air flow too much, I'm guessing you CLOSE those doors too, don't you?

If you want a PS5 with a long life DON'T CLOSE THOSE DOORS. Maybe take it out of there altogether.

Page 1

Page 5

Before some moron tried to tell me I DON'T UNDERSTAND AIR FLOW like last time, I think even the craziest fuck can understand this source IS RELIABLE. I still can't believe that someone argued that point with me last time. Don't let your inner fanboi get in the way of understand BASIC electronics, it's not because the thing has INEFFICENT ANYTHING, thats not at all what I'm saying, it's because THINGS NEED AIR FLOW.

IF you stick your PS5 OR ANY electronic DEVICE that gives off HEAT "WHERE IT BARELY FITS" you're going to have a BAD TIME.

Move it or don't, laugh at this or don't but if you can't trust what SONY ITSELF is telling you about how NOT TO SLOWLY KILL your $500 MACHINE, then whatever.

When we start to see people with issues directly/indirectly from heat, talking about the machine failing in weird ways. This will be the culprit.

Don't be too proud to be told some basic advice.

rabble rabble, the back doors of my case is open the white you see is cement foundation, its venting out the back numbutz.

and yes i close the fucking door lol.

oh by the way there is a vent right under where the ps5 is placed!

oh hey another right above it!

thanks for your input doofus!

Last edited:

Inviusx

Its a strange scenario now with the lack of loading screens on PS5. It kinda feels like I've already forgotten what loading was like on PS4.

I've basically just forgotten about loading screens even existing at this point. You don't notice that they aren't there anymore, you just kinda hit buttons and stuff just happens. It's unreal.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned
I initially thought the charging station would be a frivolous purchase but I'm loving the convenience of just slapping the controller on the charger without ever having to plug it in or worry about the cord.
Yes.. I do not miss the cord at all

Grinchy

Banned
God damn, even COD is fucking sick on this thing. It's been a great launch day for me. No real issues to speak of, silent system, Demon's Souls is fucking awesome, Astro is sweet, COD is cool, ect.

I'm surprised my impressions are so positive because I haven't even been able to try Bugsnax yet, and that's the only PS5 game that matters.

MrMephistoX

God damn, even COD is fucking sick on this thing. It's been a great launch day for me. No real issues to speak of, silent system, Demon's Souls is fucking awesome, Astro is sweet, COD is cool, ect.

I'm surprised my impressions are so positive because I haven't even been able to try Bugsnax yet, and that's the only PS5 game that matters.

Kinda curious is the controller used in interesting ways? The feedback was so damn cool on Astrobot I want more lol

Am I mistaken or is there no section on the PS5 store to find add-ons? Sony what in the world are you doing? That store is as bad as the new web store. Also why is there no option to search my library? If I own hundreds of games I have to scroll all the way down to find something instead of just being able to type the first couple letters in and see it brought up.

Grinchy

Banned
My brother couldn't get 120fps working on COD earlier on his CX. Is there something simple he's missing?

The game told him to go into system settings and change something to Performance? Something like that. But he couldn't find it and I didn't have the setting either (my TV can't do 120hz though).

The PS5 subreddit is in full blown panic mode and that sub usually sounds like paid pr for sony. What games are you playing? I've also heard that you have to have both PS4 and 5 versions of Cold War installed to play the game. That's 300+ gigs. I'm going to flip a shit if that's real.
I again checked both the ps5 and playstation5 subreddits, and neither one is in "panic mode". The front 4 pages of both have zero references to bricked consoles at the moment. I looked at the controversial tabs and they aren't there either.

I don't know what people are seeing that they are convinced this thing is having major issues. If you google PS5 problems or ps5 brick you get a series of articles all referring to the same two examples, the Youtuber and the Journalist.

I'd be willing to bet any of these issues fall under the average failure rate for new electronics, same with the Series X/S. Naturally, social media allows for the opportunity to things to look worse than they really are. Hopefully a good patch will fix some of these issues for anyone experiencing them though.

Randum

Neo Member
Got a weird electric buzzing noise from mine, both vertical and horizontal, no impact to performance as I could tell, but wanted to survey and see if others hear this as well...

R6Rider

Gold Member
Had to turn my PS4 back on to get some saves uploaded to the cloud and the difference in UI smoothness/speed is insane.

Broadcasting/streaming is super quick and easy. Sharing screenshots is easy to do and allows you to select which screenshot by using L1/R1 to scroll between them with a pop-up menu.

Only disappointing things is no groups/folders and no audio multi-output. I think they should also add individual volume for people in party chat.

Also, I REALLY miss my back buttons that my DS4 has so I'm sticking to that for any PS4 games I play on it.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Got a weird electric buzzing noise from mine, both vertical and horizontal, no impact to performance as I could tell, but wanted to survey and see if others hear this as well...

People who have heard weird noises (for some) have had them go away when they adjusted the stand. Apparently they had it not attached right, or something like that. Worth a check maybe..??

Randum

Neo Member
People who have heard weird noises (for some) have had them go away when they adjusted the stand. Apparently they had it not attached right, or something like that. Worth a check maybe..??
I'll take a look again, I tried moving it to Vertical and going Horizontal. I feel so old but I remember this whole "vertical/horizontal" is better on the release of the ps2 and the 360.

dolabla

My system just crashed in Spiderman Remaster and fully shut off by itself. Have not read the thread, but have others experienced their system doing this? I played for a few hours last night, but no issues then.

that guy is me. the stand literally is crap. horizontally it's all wobbly and vertically it won't get in at all

You are most likely doing it incorrectly. I had a few issues with the wobble as well until I looked up a video. Could have they done a better job with explaining how the stands works and how to properly use it? Yes.

Is it a bad stand and is it crap? No.

Watch this video it will help you understand. For vertical stand go to 1 minute and 52 seconds.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
You are most likely doing it incorrectly. I had a few issues with the wobble as well until I looked up a video. Could have they done a better job with explaining how the stands works and how to properly use it? Yes.

Is it a bad stand and is it crap? No.

Watch this video it will help you understand. For vertical stand go to 1 minute and 52 seconds.

i am in class rn and just letting the console air out and get used to air temp. i will watch this after, thx

Andodalf

Banned

I have a veeeeery slight sound that comes seemingly from the fan, but it's honestly not audible over the fan in games were the fan ramps up, but in turn that isn't audible over game audio unless I'm right up on the console.

Elcid

Banned
Gotta say, WOW. Big difference on games with pulse headset and without. Loading times are indeed fantastic. Graphics are too good, God of War 2018 looks mind blowing. Astrobot is super fun and nostalgic. And holy shit, the console makes ZERO noise.

LOLCats

Banned
we do need an after market horizontal stand alternative.

something simple with 4 feet, that is more like a tray the unit lays on that supports it better while still allowing bottom airflow.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can any of you lucky early owners confirm or not if Mirror's Edge Catalyst had any improvement
I know the Resolution is gonna be still the same but is it locked 60fps now?

Top Bottom