• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm interested to hear what games people feel PlayStation is missing?
Or if PlayStation should have an exclusive version / take on a multiplatform game...

They're missing ambitious multiplayer exclusives imo.

I LOVE the fact that MS has Rare, a 200+ person studio, making exclusively multiplayer titles. Sony needs to invest in some studios that specialize in that space.

Bryank75

Banned

I LOVE the fact that MS has Rare, a 200+ person studio, making exclusively multiplayer titles. Sony needs to invest in some studios that specialize in that space.
Who would you recommend? Who is in that space that would be available to acquire or work with PS on a long-term basis?

ToadMan

One of the sources behind the Silent Hill rumor mentioned a few weeks before the june event that the PlayStation 5 will launch alongside three exclusive titles - one of them being a "shooter". I guess that the shooter game its Housemarque's Returnal. Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sackboy: A Big Adventure (which was moved from PS4 to PS5 a while ago and has been in development for YEARS) would be the other two titles.
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Astro's Playroom (Dualsense Demo)
  • Bugsnax (Console Exclusive)
  • Deathloop (Console Exclusive)
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Console Exclusive)
That's a... pretty good launch lineup, huh?

Well I'd say it's OK... I really think it's missing a Killzone, Resistance or even MGS. Something like that. Maybe Returnal will step into those shoes but need to know more about it before confirming that.

Depends a lot on what SM:MM and Returnal are actually like - sackboy isn't my thing I don't think. SM we know the gameplay - so it will depend on length of game, story and any little mods they've done. Returnal - could be good but need to know more about the gameplay loop in that one.

Then there's what the third party stuff is like. Cyberpunk - if its worth playing on next gen hardware rather than this, what about the plans for CoD, Battlefront. Don't think I'm interested in AC:Valhalla at this stage but let's see how that looks nearer to launch.

Really the thing that might push me to a day one is if the PS5 in some way boosts PS4 games across the board. Although I'm not really interested in BC when there are actual next gen games available, I might be keen to re-run TLOU2 on better hardware and maybe GoT if that's decent assuming there's nothing better available.

ToadMan

Has there been a single worthwhile Xbox exclusive multiplayer game this gen? I can't think of one.

Sony seem happy letting 3rd parties handle that stuff - seems like their strategy works given the deals they did for CoD and the stuff with Rockstar.

If those studios are happy to do PS exclusives, I'm sure Sony is happy to have the deals with them for multiplayer presence.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Has there been a single worthwhile Xbox exclusive multiplayer game this gen? I can't think of one.

Sony seem happy letting 3rd parties handle that stuff - seems like their strategy works given the deals they did for CoD and the stuff with Rockstar.

If those studios are happy to do PS exclusives, I'm sure Sony is happy to have the deals with them for multiplayer presence.

I'm not sure that's a valid approach considering how wickedly fast this industry is changing.

Letting other companies control your destiny in a space while your competition takes the bull by the horns seems like a losing strategy.

Multiplayer is way more important than it's ever been, and it's only growing.

DrDamn

This generation Sony have concentrated more on fulfilling the bigger AAA gaps third parties abandoned - single player story focused games. I think they do see the need to expand on this moving forward - there was a quote to that effect a few years ago but that would have been before Jim took over the reins.

I'd like to see them cover the more tactical shooter space (think SOCOM), the JRPG space with Japan Studios and something in the arcade racer area (ideally a Motorstorm revival but that's unlikely to happen).

Bryank75

Banned
This generation Sony have concentrated more on fulfilling the bigger AAA gaps third parties abandoned - single player story focused games. I think they do see the need to expand on this moving forward - there was a quote to that effect a few years ago but that would have been before Jim took over the reins.

I'd like to see them cover the more tactical shooter space (think SOCOM), the JRPG space with Japan Studios and something in the arcade racer area (ideally a Motorstorm revival but that's unlikely to happen).
Yes, I think Kojima could do an MGO style game under the Socom title. I also think Level 5 would be a could purchase or maybe create a studio for JRPG's...

But you're definitely right about tactical shooters being absent, stealth games too.
There are lots of gaps in the market at the moment that can attract people to a platform.

Imtjnotu

Learned about QNED yesterday. I think I'm going to skip LG OLED alltogether and wait for QNED.

My 2008 Panasonic LCD still going strong.
A TV from 2008 😂😂😂😂it's time to upgrade to atleast a modern day lcd. It took oled a decade to grt where it is today
Qned won't be big until atleast 2025 because they can't get the led small enough

FeiRR

Banned
As I wrote after the console reveal event, I'd also like a military shooter exclusive from Sony. They have three IPs which fit the criteria: Killzone, Socom and Resistance. All of them had brilliant MP in the past, although not in all installments. I'd like something slow-paced and tactical, as far from COD as possible.

Neo Blaster

One of the sources behind the Silent Hill rumor mentioned a few weeks before the june event that the PlayStation 5 will launch alongside three exclusive titles - one of them being a "shooter". I guess that the shooter game its Housemarque's Returnal. Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Sackboy: A Big Adventure (which was moved from PS4 to PS5 a while ago and has been in development for YEARS) would be the other two titles.
  • Returnal
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Astro's Playroom (Dualsense Demo)
  • Bugsnax (Console Exclusive)
  • Deathloop (Console Exclusive)
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Console Exclusive)
That's a... pretty good launch lineup, huh?
I'd love Demon's Souls on launch day, but so far the only big FP/SP game is Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's the one to go against Halo Infinite on Xbox.

Last edited:

TheContact

This memory is synergized with the SSD on an architectural level and drastically boosts RAM efficiency. The memory is no longer "parking" data from an HDD; the SSD can deliver data right to the RAM almost instananeously.

The result sees RAM only holding assets and data for the next 1 second of gameplay. The PS4's 8GB of GDDR5 memory held assets for the next 30 seconds of gameplay.

This is kinda nuts. This is how they're able to get around load times I imagine (DDR5 r/w is around 50Gb/s (as opposed to the PS5's SSD in pci4.0 which is around 9Gb/s).

ToadMan

I'm not sure that's a valid approach considering how wickedly fast this industry is changing.

Letting other companies control your destiny in a space while your competition takes the bull by the horns seems like a losing strategy.

Multiplayer is way more important than it's ever been, and it's only growing.

Well control - that’s the problem with multiplayer games.

They live and die on the playerbase - and exclusives don’t get the player base of multiplats. So control is lost unless the company works with and lot against those third parties.

Sony’s approach has been to work with the third parties and so far that’s successful for them.

A 1st party exclusive would just be weak out of the gate -that’s the lesson from Xbox this gen.

Bryank75

Banned
This sounds so hot.
I'd love it.... especially if they added rappelling, maps with underwater parts that can be used to flank, zip-line guns / crossbows, good sniping positions, destructible environments that change the dynamics of the map.... choke points etc.

Different modes like hostage rescue, defend vs attack teams, infiltration to gain intel and classic modes like s&d and tdm.

Last edited:
I'd love it.... especially if they added rappelling, maps with underwater parts that can be used to flank, zip-line guns / crossbows, good sniping positions, destructible environments that change the dynamics of the map.... choke points etc.

Different modes like hostage rescue, defend vs attack teams, infiltration to gain intel and classic modes like s&d and tdm.
Dude.

Stop.

I can only get so erect.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well control - that’s the problem with multiplayer games.

They live and die on the playerbase - and exclusives don’t get the player base of multiplats. So control is lost unless the company works with and lot against those third parties.

Sony’s approach has been to work with the third parties and so far that’s successful for them.

A 1st party exclusive would just be weak out of the gate -that’s the lesson from Xbox this gen.

I'd argue there wouldn't be a more important game than having a high quality multiplayer exclusive at launch.

"Get a PS5 so we can play _____ together. No, we can't play if you get a Series X."

Word of mouth. Social gaming. Networking.

Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Smash Bros, Halo...

These things were important 25 years ago. In 2020 and beyond, it's significantly more important.

ToadMan

Yeah I definitely think Sony should look at something like SOCOM again. There’s a hole in the market for that kind of game right now and it could do well. Personally I’d try a remaster if socom 1&2 and see how it does.

Smaller maps -smaller amounts of multiplayer 4v4, 8v8 max would be ok for a platform exclusive.

It seems to me the problem comes with the scale of multiplayer games now - if a battle royale mode isn’t a hit, it’s going to be empty a lot of the time if it’s limited to one platform.

But smaller mp games can still succeed and shouldn’t need major amounts of time and money to get working.

bitbydeath

Yeah I definitely think Sony should look at something like SOCOM again. There’s a hole in the market for that kind of game right now and it could do well. Personally I’d try a remaster if socom 1&2 and see how it does.

Smaller maps -smaller amounts of multiplayer 4v4, 8v8 max would be ok for a platform exclusive.

It seems to me the problem comes with the scale of multiplayer games now - if a battle royale mode isn’t a hit, it’s going to be empty a lot of the time if it’s limited to one platform.

But smaller mp games can still succeed and shouldn’t need major amounts of time and money to get working.

I’d vote for Warhawk over it.

Not a lot of people posting here, when in fact it is mostly ps fans posting in the other OT. We need to get them here, getting tired of he constant barrage of FUD attacks all over that one.

Each day there is a new guy, mainly naive looking, uninformed, pressing on FUD and then when questioned more it turns out they know much more than they're letting on, but acting with limited knowledge just because they choose to reject hard known facts...

Neo Blaster

Not a lot of people posting here, when in fact it is mostly ps fans posting in the other OT. We need to get them here, getting tired of he constant barrage of FUD attacks all over that one.

Each day there is a new guy, mainly naive looking, uninformed, pressing on FUD and then when questioned more it turns out they know much more than they're letting on, but acting with limited knowledge just because they choose to reject hard known facts...
Totally agreed, and now that an entire FUD horde had their bans lifted, it will only get worse.

xacto

Sometimes I think that some people like to just argue, on both sides, otherwise the really obnoxious, uninformed, ill-advised and really bad tempered individuals in the other thread would be simply ignored, since their willful ignorance and malice is really easy to see through.

I understand, it's a forum and people are expected to exchange a serious and sometimes funny back-and-forth, but when you witness personal attacks and feigned stupidity just to fuel some kind of stupid console warring, it makes me wonder if this attitude in there is really what it is expected actually, especially in the light of the recent lifting of the bans.

Even if we get more like-minded and softly spoken Sony fans to post in here, I am not sure that the rest of the antagonizing group is not going to follow over here; in that case, I am not sure what the moderation of this thread will look like, fast and loose, like it is now, or a bit stricter.

Let's try our best and prepare for the worst, the previous experience we had probably taught us that already.

ToadMan

To be honest one of the reasons I like that thread is because - particularly talking about speculation on new tech - it's a good way to test out whether the theories withstand the test of hostile questions and comments. Talking about it in a thread of like minded people is just a round of "yes' - not really a place to resolve how things might work out.

That's why a lot of guys fall out of that thread. In fact if you go look at the OT Justice/Ban review thread there was quite a few of those guy whining about the thread saying they get "hounded" out for posting anything positive about xbox.

To me though, it's just that the arguments have to stand up in the face of cross-examination - if they don't, give in or get banned.

Also, a thread like that wouldn't (and doesn't) exist on Reeee. Personally I just lurk on Reee - it has better "insider" stuff but I steer clear of the political correctness bits. So in a sense the existence of the Speculation thread here is what differentiates GAF. For better or worse....

EDIT : https://www.neogaf.com/threads/neogaf-ban-review-justice-project.1463407/post-259108239

Last edited:

This interpolation technic is not something new even on PS4, PSVR breakout box has hardware that specifically works to achieve this with much more object and pixel accurate since it is designed from the ground-up for that purpose. There are three modes where it doubles 30 to 60 or 45 to 90, and mainly doubles 60 to 120 for more fluid VR examples with mostly potato level graphics. Game engines used are also aware of this interpolation down the line so they provide necessary information to better do it with no artifacts through data cables.

While it is quite necessary for VR, I can't see it being applied for flat screens for the same effects with similar 'fps doubler' extra hw, it can be built in the console for all we know but it is absurd to expect an extra module being sold for this purpose and it would be ridiculous to expect it. Again it can be built in the next gen console, or maybe in PS6, but it is always better to draw and shade those frames than interpolate a new frame between two frames. Lets see what the future brings.

This interpolation technic is not something new even on PS4, PSVR breakout box has hardware that specifically works to achieve this with much more object and pixel accurate since it is designed from the ground-up for that purpose. There are three modes where it doubles 30 to 60 or 45 to 90, and mainly doubles 60 to 120 for more fluid VR examples with mostly potato level graphics. Game engines used are also aware of this interpolation down the line so they provide necessary information to better do it with no artifacts through data cables.

While it is quite necessary for VR, I can't see it being applied for flat screens for the same effects with similar 'fps doubler' extra hw, it can be built in the console for all we know but it is absurd to expect an extra module being sold for this purpose and it would be ridiculous to expect it. Again it can be built in the next gen console, or maybe in PS6, but it is always better to draw and shade those frames than interpolate a new frame between two frames. Lets see what the future brings.

What are the odds Sony pulls a last minute boost on hardware? I mean, it may not be anything artificial intelligence related, but it's not out of the ordinary for them to do that.

BGs BGs come here, it's a clean thread.
New here, so just scratching my head on this one.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To be honest one of the reasons I like that thread is because - particularly talking about speculation on new tech - it's a good way to test out whether the theories withstand the test of hostile questions and comments. Talking about it in a thread of like minded people is just a round of "yes' - not really a place to resolve how things might work out.

That's why a lot of guys fall out of that thread. In fact if you go look at the OT Justice/Ban review thread there was quite a few of those guy whining about the thread saying they get "hounded" out for posting anything positive about xbox.

To me though, it's just that the arguments have to stand up in the face of cross-examination - if they don't, give in or get banned.

Also, a thread like that wouldn't (and doesn't) exist on Reeee. Personally I just lurk on Reee - it has better "insider" stuff but I steer clear of the political correctness bits. So in a sense the existence of the Speculation thread here is what differentiates GAF. For better or worse....

EDIT : https://www.neogaf.com/threads/neogaf-ban-review-justice-project.1463407/post-259108239

This post though :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

ZywyPL

Banned
I think Killzone had a very solid gameplay for FPS, GG can easily expand a team within to bring quality MP.

47nirx.jpg

You all know it's true.

Bryank75

Banned
If Microsoft buys WB Studios, how do you think PlayStation should respond?

Any ideas? After all the studios MS bought last year and the year before and now if this comes to fruition, it looks like Sony don't want to fire back....

bitbydeath

Create button patent.
Don’t know the original source so treat as rumour.

Cutting out gameplay, making minigames, sharing/during gameplay, recording the play situation and analyzing the area of interest. ・Create a mini game limited to specific scenes. You can also save it on the cloud and share it with other users to play. (Could you only cut and play certain boss battles? Clear rate display and comments are also possible)

Create your own shareable demos.:messenger_open_mouth:

ZywyPL

Banned
Well, GG does have two separate teams, so I wonder which one is working on HFW - the one who made HZD, or the one responsible for KZ:SF? IMO it's the latter given the time frame, but anyway, they sill have that second team cooking up something behind the scenes, and that could indeed be another Killzone. I think the best move for the franchise would be to reboot the series (same for Resistance).

Create your own shareable demos.:messenger_open_mouth:

Available in PS Plus Premium ;)

ToadMan

If Microsoft buys WB Studios, how do you think PlayStation should respond?

Any ideas? After all the studios MS bought last year and the year before and now if this comes to fruition, it looks like Sony don't want to fire back....

From what I understood, any purchaser is acquiring the studios - assets and personnel who wish to keep their employment there - not the IPs.

So if I were Sony I wouldn't respond to that - that model doesn't work.

EDIT: Actually Sony would be better off trying to purchase/license the IPs from WB. I'd love to see a Sony Batman exclusive...

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
From what I understood, any purchaser is acquiring the studios - assets and personnel who wish to keep their employment there - not the IPs.

So if I were Sony I wouldn't respond to that - that model doesn't work.

EDIT: Actually Sony would be better off trying to purchase/license the IPs from WB. I'd love to see a Sony Batman exclusive...
A deal could include a licensing deal too though.. every report on the potential purchase said as much.

Top Bottom