• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

ToadMan

You're putting all MP players in the same bag. You don't play MP yourself, am I right?

There are many people out there who player Warhawk, Killzone, MAG, Resistance or Socom and would like to have the same kind of experience again. An experience that COD or Fortnite won't provide. And I'd also prefer to play just with PSN users. I don't want PC kids with disposable cheat accounts to spoil my fun. I think I'm not the only one with such expectations. Most of my BF clan are people who started on PC but then switched to consoles for a fair experience.

These days I mostly play CoD. BF, GTS, SF5 but not as much as I used to, and MLB occasionally if I can find someone with a decent connection.

In the past I was in a clan for MAG and SOCOM for a few years (PS3 Era obv).

Those were fun until everyone drifted away - if only those games had been multiplat and cross play...

So yeah, I play multiplayer - that’s why I know that staring at the waiting for players screen is piss boring and I can load into war zone right now and play with players on many platforms regardless of whether there’s people on the same platform wanting to play.

That’s also why CoD is one of the few games I’ll put more money into after purchasing the base game - it keeps delivering because the player base is big. As it happens it’s that principle which is driving the huge incomes for Acti which in turn keeps them turning out games.

That’s the economics of AAA multiplayer these days - multiplat / cross platform play - and I think Sony have grasped that and probably so have MS.

EDIT: One can choose the playerbase on COD so it can be limited to matching with PS only players. Just takes longer to get into a game sometimes.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
There is no better marketing mechanic than having your friends talk about playing a multiplayer game in front of you...Sony needs to tap into that.

"Buy a PS5 bro! We could use a fourth."

That's what already happened with X360 and PS4, once they gained momentum it never stopped, exactly because people joined the platform their friends were already on. All those SP exclusives are meaningless as far as driving sales go, people play Fifa against their friends every single day, team up in CoD, BF, Fortnite, Minecraft and so on, Sony has already proved/learned that you don't need to offer MP games by yourself, 3rd party publishers got that covered, the whole trick is to convince as many people as possible to your platform from launch day, and the rest just happens automatically.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
PUBG sold 60+ million copies on PC/Console. Then it had healthy microtransaction sales. Then there's the whole mobile version too.

Overwatch had 35+ million players in 2017, one year after release. It also had an aggressive MTX model. It's probably done a little more since then.

Rocket League surpassed 40 million players in 2018. It's consistently grown more popular in terms of player count since 2018 according to Stramcharts.

Rainbow Six Siege earned 1.12 Billion according to Ubisoft earlier this year. To put that in context, TLoU2 sold 4 million copies at $60 dollars which earned Sony 240 million. The first time Siege saw a drop in players was in May of 2020. So it's still earning considerably.

Then there's that little indie game called Fortnite which may have broken even by now...

GTAV is essentially a multiplayer focused title at this point. Minecraft is still a monster. As is Roblox, League of Legends etc...

I'm not really seeing single player games being able to compete with that in terms of revenue/sales.

I don't think Sony can look at a supremely talented team like Naughty Dog, which took how many employees 5+ years on TLoU2, and be thrilled with the fact that their games die on the vine so quickly.

The multiplayer, social based gaming revolution is upon us. If Sony is still considered a single player focused company in 3 years, they'll have made a massive mistake.

There is no better marketing mechanic than having your friends talk about playing a multiplayer game in front of you...Sony needs to tap into that.

Chasing trends doesn't necessarily pay off, especially if you arrive late to the party. You quoted a bunch of games that broke records, but how many very similar games just fell flat on their face at release and died in a ditch after reaching 2k players' peaks? Don't be fooled by survivorship bias.

The "it's famous therefore we should do it as well" is a fallacy of the gaming market that doesn't really pay off that big for most people, and this is not news. When World of Warcraft broke the bank back in the mid 2000's everybody and their grandma rushed to develop MMOs, 60% of which were pretty much dead on arrival and only bankrupted countless studios, and an additional 35% just did OK everything considered. Countless other games of completely different genres kept being profitable, successful and remembered.

The reason is actually pretty simple: the number of people playing games is finite, and their money and time are finite as well. Yes, there are a lot of people who play battle royale games right now; but they are already playing battle royale games, be it PUBG, Fortnite or a bunch of others. If you want a share of that market you need to pull people away from existing games, and that is absolutely not a guarantee. Just as a very obvious example, Call of Duty broke through, while Battlefield tripped on the starting line.

Moreover, the more games in the genre are being produced the least likely each one of them is to strike thunder, because there is more competition overall. The first to come and capture an untapped market strike gold, since they have a huge potential playerbase to win over and basically no competition, but the more it goes on the more competition you have and the least available players that you can win "for free" there are. This usually goes on until the bubble deflates on its own over time, leaving countless corpses of opportunity games and cowboy companies on the ground.

Is it a good idea for Sony to invest a bit more on the multiplayer front? Probably, but only because right now they have pretty much nothing. Should multiplayer suddenly become one of their main focuses just because "a bunch of other multiplayer games are doing really well"? No, at that point you're basically gambling to strike jackpot or lose everything, which is absolutely unnecessary for Sony in particular. As long as people can play whatever they want on a PS5, they will be just fine.

Last edited:
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Ok, I see. However, that's the 'nit picky' Rabbi talking (and crying every night). Has the 'normal' Quadrat Rabbi been enjoying gaming on his PS4 using a 43 inch tv?
I am but who is to say I wouldn’t enjoy it more? But you’re right it’s working just fine lol

ToadMan

PUBG sold 60+ million copies on PC/Console. Then it had healthy microtransaction sales. Then there's the whole mobile version too.

Overwatch had 35+ million players in 2017, one year after release. It also had an aggressive MTX model. It's probably done a little more since then.

Rocket League surpassed 40 million players in 2018. It's consistently grown more popular in terms of player count since 2018 according to Stramcharts.

Rainbow Six Siege earned 1.12 Billion according to Ubisoft earlier this year. To put that in context, TLoU2 sold 4 million copies at $60 dollars which earned Sony 240 million. The first time Siege saw a drop in players was in May of 2020. So it's still earning considerably.

Then there's that little indie game called Fortnite which may have broken even by now...

GTAV is essentially a multiplayer focused title at this point. Minecraft is still a monster. As is Roblox, League of Legends etc...

I'm not really seeing single player games being able to compete with that in terms of revenue/sales.

I don't think Sony can look at a supremely talented team like Naughty Dog, which took how many employees 5+ years on TLoU2, and be thrilled with the fact that their games die on the vine so quickly.

The multiplayer, social based gaming revolution is upon us. If Sony is still considered a single player focused company in 3 years, they'll have made a massive mistake.

Agreed. And not a single console exclusive amongst those heavy hitters.... No kill zones, Resistance, SOCOMs or Halos. They all died on the vine while the multiplats have grown to overshadow them.

DrDamn

No that game looks more like Zelda actually. I’m talking about that game that looked more like a medieval setting. It was like an adventure game with a stumpy dwarf like man with a big square head? Had like an ashen type art style? Smaller budget.

Found it. This was one of the best looking games they showed and seems like no one cares. I think it looks better than Kena.

Devil Inside was one of my games of the show. Really interesting from lots of perspectives.

The show had too many games, some games like Goodbye Volcano High and the Fruit & Veg game (Whatever its called) and Project Athia could have been taken out..... the Capcom Space game too, they were too far out to be shown.

For me whilst I may not be interested in some of the games I appreciated the breadth of what was shown. Support for smaller indie titles etc. It's important to look at the presentation in the context of the launch build-up. It'd be good to see more of the games shown, but it didn't *have* to be at this presentation. There is plenty of time for better placed deep dives into launch titles and better platforms for that sort of showing too (State of Play or Blog posts for example).

On the posts relating to MP online titles, I agree Sony should look to compliment what the Third Parties deliver and partner with them to add value. I'm guessing one of the things they've held back and we will see more of soon is a TLoU2 MP spin-off.

Hyphen

I am but who is to say I wouldn’t enjoy it more? But you’re right it’s working just fine lol

Oh, you are right too - the fanciest new tv probably would bring you more enjoyment.

I know your initial comment was mostly in jest, and so in no way am I aiming this at you, but I do feel that the specifications of the PS5 (and Series X) is scaring some gamers into believing that their current tv won't be good enough.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I really need an OLED for this bad boi don’t I?

Jump here, read thoroughly, watch all the videos, and you'll have 100% solid decision of what you need ;).

Flyinmunky

If there is no optical port i may just get the new Headset. I know optical is legacy now but my Z5500s still sound great. Maybe get a converter of some sort as my projector is not 4K so hopefully not expernsive.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I think it could fit quite well.... Pete Hines is friendly with Sony these days.
Let Todd do his thing and he can still publish on PC
Doom goes exclusive to fill the shooter gap.
Arkane have that Bioshock gameplay and just need to create an IP that hits....
Kimura can either join his team up with Japan Studio to help with horror games or create his own horror games.

You're probably right about Kojima.

I'm really curious why Sony didn't pull the trigger on Remedy, they could even get the Max Payne IP to do something and Control was great.

Ember is underrated, I think they could make a Zelda quality / level game with the right support. They would be cheap and have so much potential. PlayStation need a game like that, that appeals to a huge audience of all demographics.

I'm very dubious about the quality of studios in the Leyou deal..... however I think they have all the Telltale IP's and a deal for Transformers, which could be interesting. But not 1.3 billion dollar interesting.

It's not that Pete Hines is "friendly" with Sony these days, it's that before the PS5 June showcase, there were rumors going around that Ghostwire Tokyo was going to be cancelled with staff being put on Starfield in a supportive role. Granted, the rumors were from no name sites I never even heard of but seeing as how Bethesda/Zenimax hasn't done a timed exclusive in like forever, I can see some truth in it. Also, both games are going to bomb. Majority of people can see it from a mile away. Not saying that they should bomb, it's just that is what im expecting to happen and Bethesda/Zenimax as well. Otherwise, they wouldn't have accepted the payday from Sony to make them timed exclusive.

I agree with the rest in general, I just don't see any of it happening with Bethesda. I see Ghostwire and Deathloop as two games in which Bethesda/Zenimax want to lose as little money as possible while Sony wants them to fill gaps that they will have in 2021.

Max Payne IP is owned by Take Two Interactive so unless Sony was going to acquire or rent that IP, Remedy using it will never happen. Sony had interest in acquiring Remedy but look at the deal they got from Epic. It's basically free money, they stay independent and keep the IP's. Sony was never going to match any of that.

Ember Lab can't be underrated or overrated. Kena will be their first game and it looks great. Hoping it plays as great as it looks but they're simply unproven. Let's wait and see how their game pans out before anything. Besides, the two brothers just started and I seriously doubt that they would want to be acquired as opposed to staying independent. Especially if Kena hits.

The Leyou deal would strictly be for MP / live service games which Sony is sorely lacking. Plus, they want PS Now to do better which means they will have to start adding quality games day one to the service. Having MP / Live Service games in the service would add value without Sony having to worry about over-saturating the market and losing money since they wouldn't have to worry about selling them.

Digital Extremes would be a good addition. I can easily see Sony wanting them to develop Warframe 2. Splash Damage just developed Gears Tactics which is great and they have a history working on Gears MP so Sony would add some good talented studios for what they want to do. Best of all, they keep their main studios away from all that stuff. Plus, they can increase their market in China which is probably what the deal is all about to begin with. I do believe that acquiring Leyou is much more likely than Sony going after WB Games.

Bryank75

Banned
It's not that Pete Hines is "friendly" with Sony these days, it's that before the PS5 June showcase, there were rumors going around that Ghostwire Tokyo was going to be cancelled with staff being put on Starfield in a supportive role. Granted, the rumors were from no name sites I never even heard of but seeing as how Bethesda/Zenimax hasn't done a timed exclusive in like forever, I can see some truth in it. Also, both games are going to bomb. Majority of people can see it from a mile away. Not saying that they should bomb, it's just that is what im expecting to happen and Bethesda/Zenimax as well. Otherwise, they wouldn't have accepted the payday from Sony to make them timed exclusive.

I agree with the rest in general, I just don't see any of it happening with Bethesda. I see Ghostwire and Deathloop as two games in which Bethesda/Zenimax want to lose as little money as possible while Sony wants them to fill gaps that they will have in 2021.

Max Payne IP is owned by Take Two Interactive so unless Sony was going to acquire or rent that IP, Remedy using it will never happen. Sony had interest in acquiring Remedy but look at the deal they got from Epic. It's basically free money, they stay independent and keep the IP's. Sony was never going to match any of that.

Ember Lab can't be underrated or overrated. Kena will be their first game and it looks great. Hoping it plays as great as it looks but they're simply unproven. Let's wait and see how their game pans out before anything. Besides, the two brothers just started and I seriously doubt that they would want to be acquired as opposed to staying independent. Especially if Kena hits.

The Leyou deal would strictly be for MP / live service games which Sony is sorely lacking. Plus, they want PS Now to do better which means they will have to start adding quality games day one to the service. Having MP / Live Service games in the service would add value without Sony having to worry about over-saturating the market and losing money since they wouldn't have to worry about selling them.

Digital Extremes would be a good addition. I can easily see Sony wanting them to develop Warframe 2. Splash Damage just developed Gears Tactics which is great and they have a history working on Gears MP so Sony would add some good talented studios for what they want to do. Best of all, they keep their main studios away from all that stuff. Plus, they can increase their market in China which is probably what the deal is all about to begin with. I do believe that acquiring Leyou is much more likely than Sony going after WB Games.
I don't consider the Leyou or WB deals as good value... I only rate Rocksteady from WB, Netherrealm don't really make fighters I like and I found the LOTR Shadow games very very boring.

I'm not really interested in PSNow, even if they push it...I will not be paying for that. I don't want the industry moving that direction.

The thing about Bethesda is that if Xbox get WB Studios, Sony need to counter the fact that Xbox has a Shooter and an Obsidian RPG along with Fable and whatever The Initiative has on the way.

Doom fits the shooter area, Bethesda counters Obsidian and Kena or whatever Ember do next would be a Zelda like game that would counter any Fable type game.

I would argue that Leyou has very little connection with PlayStation, Warframe makes very little money and is mostly a PC game.
The other studios mostly have supported Xbox and their studios in making first party multiplayer games.
It really doesn't add anything they can depend on.... no good IP's, studios of dubious to mediocre quality and nothing very promising.

SaucyJack

I don't consider the Leyou or WB deals as good value... I only rate Rocksteady from WB, Netherrealm don't really make fighters I like and I found the LOTR Shadow games very very boring.

I'm not really interested in PSNow, even if they push it...I will not be paying for that. I don't want the industry moving that direction.

The thing about Bethesda is that if Xbox get WB Studios, Sony need to counter the fact that Xbox has a Shooter and an Obsidian RPG along with Fable and whatever The Initiative has on the way.

Doom fits the shooter area, Bethesda counters Obsidian and Kena or whatever Ember do next would be a Zelda like game that would counter any Fable type game.

I would argue that Leyou has very little connection with PlayStation, Warframe makes very little money and is mostly a PC game.
The other studios mostly have supported Xbox and their studios in making first party multiplayer games.
It really doesn't add anything they can depend on.... no good IP's, studios of dubious to mediocre quality and nothing very promising.

I've made comments on the WB deal and why that doesn't add up.

As for the Leyou speculation, I can see that working - but it would not really be a PlayStation focused deal. Certainly it might help fill a couple of gaps in the first party studio portfolio, but I would more see it as a replacement for Sony Online Entertainment which they may well regret having sold.

Also, Warframe takes in more money than Destiny. $300 million in 2019.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

Fair enough. Microsoft acquiring WB Games would be worth the purchase even without any licenses simply because the quality of those studios are AAA and top tier. Adding a Rocksteady would be massive to the Xbox platform and eco-system. NetherRealm owns Mortal Kombat so that would come with it and while I played and completed Injustice 1&2 and MK 10&11, im done with fighting games but the idea of Mortal Kombat vs Killer Instinct would be huge because it would be a combination that no one would ever think would happen. Monolith is a great developer with or without LOTR. Their games are high quality and usually highly rated and well received. Just from an established and quality standpoint, those three alone would be well worth the acquisition.

PS Now IS the direction gaming is going to be going in. I'm all in with Game Pass because why would I spend $60+ when I could spend $10 for a monthly rental? Especially when im a single player gamer with no interest in online gaming and rarely if ever replay games. Would much rather spend $10 instead of $60+ (or $30+ since I would trade the game in once I complete it) because, well, why wouldn't I spend less money instead of more?

If Sony were to put their exclusives on PS Now day one (which they will before next gen ends) and I can download them, why wouldn't I subscribe to PS Now for a $10 monthly rental?

I can see your perspective in regards to Bethesda. I just don't see Sony going after them unless Zenimax just gives them away. Maybe a development studio or two but all of Bethesda? No way. Leyou will be a bargain compared to Bethesda. Plus, the vast majority of their games are first person which I don't see Sony wanting. Not only that but outside of Fallout, The Elder Scrolls and Doom reboot, their games simply don't sell well and I seriously doubt that Sony would see any value in them.

Square Enix would be a far better fit for Sony than Bethesda and even had stock in them a while back. I don't think they do anymore but I would easily see Square Enix as a far better acquisition than Bethesda. Not that it's going to happen but just my opinion though.

I agree in regards to Leyou but at the same time, I understand why Sony wants to acquire them and it's more about China and other markets in those regions. From my perspective, I could care less about Leyou but I do understand why Sony is trying to acquire them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's what already happened with X360 and PS4, once they gained momentum it never stopped, exactly because people joined the platform their friends were already on. All those SP exclusives are meaningless as far as driving sales go, people play Fifa against their friends every single day, team up in CoD, BF, Fortnite, Minecraft and so on, Sony has already proved/learned that you don't need to offer MP games by yourself, 3rd party publishers got that covered, the whole trick is to convince as many people as possible to your platform from launch day, and the rest just happens automatically.

The "let third parties do multiplayer" premise is so bizarre to me. It's so... unscientific.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I don't belong in his thread but unsure if this is fake or not.. but this popped up on imgur. Back to Nintendo GAF... please dont beat me.

prDOMw7.jpg

Bryank75

Banned
Fair enough. Microsoft acquiring WB Games would be worth the purchase even without any licenses simply because the quality of those studios are AAA and top tier. Adding a Rocksteady would be massive to the Xbox platform and eco-system. NetherRealm owns Mortal Kombat so that would come with it and while I played and completed Injustice 1&2 and MK 10&11, im done with fighting games but the idea of Mortal Kombat vs Killer Instinct would be huge because it would be a combination that no one would ever think would happen. Monolith is a great developer with or without LOTR. Their games are high quality and usually highly rated and well received. Just from an established and quality standpoint, those three alone would be well worth the acquisition.

PS Now IS the direction gaming is going to be going in. I'm all in with Game Pass because why would I spend $60+ when I could spend $10 for a monthly rental? Especially when im a single player gamer with no interest in online gaming and rarely if ever replay games. Would much rather spend $10 instead of $60+ (or $30+ since I would trade the game in once I complete it) because, well, why wouldn't I spend less money instead of more?

If Sony were to put their exclusives on PS Now day one (which they will before next gen ends) and I can download them, why wouldn't I subscribe to PS Now for a $10 monthly rental?

I can see your perspective in regards to Bethesda. I just don't see Sony going after them unless Zenimax just gives them away. Maybe a development studio or two but all of Bethesda? No way. Leyou will be a bargain compared to Bethesda. Plus, the vast majority of their games are first person which I don't see Sony wanting. Not only that but outside of Fallout, The Elder Scrolls and Doom reboot, their games simply don't sell well and I seriously doubt that Sony would see any value in them.

Square Enix would be a far better fit for Sony than Bethesda and even had stock in them a while back. I don't think they do anymore but I would easily see Square Enix as a far better acquisition than Bethesda. Not that it's going to happen but just my opinion though.

I agree in regards to Leyou but at the same time, I understand why Sony wants to acquire them and it's more about China and other markets in those regions. From my perspective, I could care less about Leyou but I do understand why Sony is trying to acquire them.
Sure, I'd love them to buy Square Enix but they are twice the value of Bethesda... over 6 Billion. Quite a bit.

I agree 100% on the value not being in these deals. WB specifically would require licensing deals along with the purchasing agreements.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't belong in his thread but unsure if this is fake or not.. but this popped up on imgur. Back to Nintendo GAF... please dont beat me.

prDOMw7.jpg

That is consistently one gorgeous controller. Nice to see it looks just as good IRL.

I can take and leave some things about the console design, but I really like the entire design language from the controller, to the former, up to the boxes.

Getting away from generic shiny or matte blacks to give the entire system a colorful identity, is a very fun move, and also one that makes it stand out.

Guys next gen thread has become unbearable, I am un-watching that one and will only post here until mods take necessary precautions for obvious and blatant trolling and I advise you to do the same. If they leave this thread as out only safe space without getting trolled, then so be it. There is no bajillion post history necessary anyway. Just keep this place up-to-date and post here and it will be fine. All technical aspects and speculations are welcome here too so I don't know what that thread's purpose is anymore, apart from being the go-to place to post with always new content, but that is up to us, if we keep this place fresh it will become the go-to place to post with always new content.

Bryank75

Banned
What happened while I was away?

I saw a thread called 'How can we make sure PS5 fails' or something like that..... these xbox people have gone off the deep end!
What is wrong with them? Review bombing and spoiling as many people on TLOU2 wasn't enough? They are seriously disturbed...

I kinda wished MS had a greater show of exclusive games by now, July event is in question but still a possibility, and only reason I wished is bc how much sore loser xbox fans always were. Doing exactly the things Bryank75 Bryank75 said and much more.... I mean they are not doing themselves any favors and when they shit their bed, they come out with pitchfork in hand looking for witches to burn along with the whole fucking village.... When they think they are losing they make sure everyone else feel like losing too, that's what happened in Xbox One era and I guess what is happening in this round too.

I hope some of those studios they bought go rouge on them and produce next gen only exclusives too and just release them without asking permissions because if it is up to the management xbox fans are fcked apparently.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Any word on when more PS5 fun is coming? Despite being a little rocky on the show while watching it, it really left me with a positive impression of the system, and well, I want more. Lol.

Or have we hit a point where its all fair game and we'll just regularly see PS5 stuff from third parties, without needing a big show?

Vae_Victis

Banned
Any word on when more PS5 fun is coming? Despite being a little rocky on the show while watching it, it really left me with a positive impression of the system, and well, I want more. Lol.

Or have we hit a point where its all fair game and we'll just regularly see PS5 stuff from third parties, without needing a big show?
Tomorrow there will be a Ubisoft event, they will most likely show games that will come out also or only on next-gen consoles.

Some more third party stuff could be shown at the Xbox event on the 23rd.

Then, according to various sources, Sony will have a State of Play dedicated to PS5 not too long after, possibly in the first half of August.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Tomorrow there will be a Ubisoft event, they will most likely show games that will come out also or only on next-gen consoles.

Some more third party stuff could be shown at the Xbox event on the 23rd.

Then, according to various sources, Sony will have a State of Play dedicated to PS5 not too long after, possibly in the first half of August.

Tomorrow is always a good answer, lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
wanna be hyped for any next gen stuff from Ubi but they have been a little bit shit recently

BG&E 2 and some new Ip would be a start

I hope to see that Far Cry 6 finally using a new engine instead of using the same since FC1. Acutally it felt a bit degraded with fire since FC2.

Also wanna know more about AC Valhalla, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Gods and Monsters? I will digest anything.

ToadMan

Seems to be a theory Sony might announce price and preorder date on Monday ....

I think it was in a tweet .... so yeah, that’s hardly confirmed but possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom