• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

AeneaGames

To my playstation gamers who use Mid - High end headphones

What are your plans for PS5???

I bought a PS Platinum headset six months ago after my old Gold one needed replacement, not exactly eager to have to buy a new one but if the new PS headset has any positives over the Platinum I will get it...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony Pictures Imageworks Vs Quixel, Decima Vs Unreal Engine. I think Sony should really consider that, and even have people from around the globe to contribute to the assets library and them licensed/sold to Sony for a fee or have a cut from every user used them would make many freelancers/professionals contribute into enlarging and surpassing the quixel megascans, if not already bigger as Imageworks been around since 27 years!

1200px-Sony_Pictures_Imageworks_logo.svg.png

OWdYaHPRb0xhv4W92pYq958a56NupM1DC_tynbYmbVv10LQs9Yj8lKXSZb1pQuLeOKIqO16v3zO-7fYBF6JvsEJj3Gdvm4VRDPu5Psrc5VBwNaMyEiJUOdRr5ag1RCO57JlELCm041Gwcncmf0myLWEiVHlLj9j5HvecktqEGAlQnOMOVsW7ZJZ42ma4jXuHV5lrI7W5kSxvoyHl55owN5OGS5oq99DeZ9essV96

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I bought a PS Platinum headset six months ago after my old Gold one needed replacement, not exactly eager to have to buy a new one but if the new PS headset has any positives over the Platinum I will get it...

You don't have to, unless the PS5 will support Sony's blutooth tech LDAC (990kbps sound quality bitrate vs 328kbps conventional bluetooth)

03E.jpg

If it would, and the Pulse 3D above that brings back the rumble feature fro Pulse headset back in the PS3 era would make it an insane deal. I would get the new Sony WH-1000XM4 if the Pulse 3D doesn't support LDAC and PS5 does, but I doubt this scenario as it's a massive opportunity to promote its own LDAC tech, which is still mildly supported in high end smartphones (70%) but fully supported in xperia (100% potential) and other Sony products.

26aohv5bdj451.jpg

81UD9t9Zo9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sony Pictures Imageworks Vs Quixel, Decima Vs Unreal Engine. I think Sony should really consider that, and even have people from around the globe to contribute to the assets library and them licensed/sold to Sony for a fee or have a cut from every user used them would make many freelancers/professionals contribute into enlarging and surpassing the quixel megascans, if not already bigger as Imageworks been around since 27 years!

1200px-Sony_Pictures_Imageworks_logo.svg.png

OWdYaHPRb0xhv4W92pYq958a56NupM1DC_tynbYmbVv10LQs9Yj8lKXSZb1pQuLeOKIqO16v3zO-7fYBF6JvsEJj3Gdvm4VRDPu5Psrc5VBwNaMyEiJUOdRr5ag1RCO57JlELCm041Gwcncmf0myLWEiVHlLj9j5HvecktqEGAlQnOMOVsW7ZJZ42ma4jXuHV5lrI7W5kSxvoyHl55owN5OGS5oq99DeZ9essV96
AFAIK the source scans are game engine agnostic (as fas as data itself goes) , so it would be possible (in fact pretty easy) to import them across the engines, only issue would be licensing for usage in a commercial product.

Quixel ones are generally free as long as it is used in UE and non-commercial, and if it is a commercial product then there is the condition of publishing only through Epic (along with their recent below 1 million $ there's no cut policy).

But since Sony is now a shareholder in Epic, I'm sure there will be a framework of cooperation shaped within a few months that will clearly chart all these licensing details between them. All those will be solved behind the scenes and I bet Sony first party will be able to use those Quixel scans in their upcoming games, and in turn maybe their own scans may end up in Epic database.

More important part is actually for film productions and easily integrating UE into all future Sony Pictures films, like The Mandalorian TV series.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s a shame Sony hasn’t been successful in expanding by failing to acquire Leyou. It’s clear they aren’t in the running for WB either, and no rumblings whatsoever of their interest for any other studio.

Feels like they are going about the same strategy as before, work with independent devs like Bluepoint, lock them out of IP ownership and hope that after a few games they have no other choice but to either keep working with Sony or sell to them. It’s such a weird stance because in a market where money is pouring in, this won’t work. Those studios will just get bought by somebody else or they will take their Sony financed portfolio and sign a deal elsewhere.

Neo Blaster

UK page

Edit: Looks like this one has been around for a while as their are already over 100 customer reviews.
Brazilian Amazon PS5 page is being plagued by Xbox trolls making fake bad reviews for the console. Is that happening elsewhere?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
AFAIK the source scans are game engine agnostic (as fas as data itself goes) , so it would be possible (in fact pretty easy) to import them across the engines, only issue would be licensing for usage in a commercial product.

Quixel ones are generally free as long as it is used in UE and non-commercial, and if it is a commercial product then there is the condition of publishing only through Epic (along with their recent below 1 million $ there's no cut policy).

But since Sony is now a shareholder in Epic, I'm sure there will be a framework of cooperation shaped within a few months that will clearly chart all these licensing details between them. All those will be solved behind the scenes and I bet Sony first party will be able to use those Quixel scans in their upcoming games, and in turn maybe their own scans may end up in Epic database.

More important part is actually for film productions and easily integrating UE into all future Sony Pictures films, like The Mandalorian TV series.

Imageworks can pretty much be used in games, and I think they've been so in first party to some extent. Now they can work much better with PS5's capabilities. Both Quixel and Imageworks involvement in gaming would be massive! I really think that Death Stranding used the Greenland/Iceland assets from Quixel, same goes with Hellblade 2. Now they kinda look similar. So having Imageworks in the mix can add much more diversity, and I would love Sony to either enlarge Imageworks work filed in gaming as it's a bigger business at the moment than movies.

Quixel is one of the best things happened to gaming when Epic Games bought them, can't wait to have my mind-blown on PS5!

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Quixel in case some aren't aware of them, you see they've spent some time in Iceland with those attractive, black soil/sand and rocks that have unique looks. Looks identical to Death Stranding environments:

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Quixel in case some aren't aware of them, you see they've spent some time in Iceland with those attractive, black soil/sand and rocks that have unique looks. Looks identical to Death Stranding environments:
Death Stranding uses Quixel assets, so no surprise there. Still, Epic buying Quixel is old news.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Or just live there.

Not the same thing? Honestly, I'm good where I am in the United States. I'm pretty sure I couldn't hack it in another country. I can barely get a grip on the one I live in regardless of leadership in it.

I just want to pre-order the damn thing! :)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
484k09.jpg

Last edited:

whitesugar

Banned
My guess still is 399 for digital and 499 for normal.

same. make a small profit on the normal, take some loss on the digital only but will more than make up the difference in the extra share of each digital sale they will get. they will want to incentivise the discless option where possible

ToadMan

It’s a shame Sony hasn’t been successful in expanding by failing to acquire Leyou. It’s clear they aren’t in the running for WB either, and no rumblings whatsoever of their interest for any other studio.

Feels like they are going about the same strategy as before, work with independent devs like Bluepoint, lock them out of IP ownership and hope that after a few games they have no other choice but to either keep working with Sony or sell to them. It’s such a weird stance because in a market where money is pouring in, this won’t work. Those studios will just get bought by somebody else or they will take their Sony financed portfolio and sign a deal elsewhere.

Leyou wasn't interesting for Playstation regardless - with the exception of SNK (which isn't worth much) their stuff wasn't a good match because Sony have similar stuff already. Sony probably already backed off way before the news got out to us. Bear in mind this is not a new market for Sony - they have Planetside, DC Herores Online and at least one other MMO if I remember correctly, and H1Z1.

All stuff they got into that isn't a major title in the PS lineup and is often forgotten on PC. I mean, it's incredible to think that Sony has 2 massively multiplayer shooters on their console and no one ever talks about them... Games that were doing Battle Royale and Massively multiplayer gameplay before Warzone, before Fortnite, before PUBG even.

As for the WB stuff - well lets look at recent rumors. Just a month ago there were 3 threads here and several news stories proclaiming MS about to buy Sega... Then, just 2 days after that obviously stupid/fake story was done, a new rumor that MS are buying bloober. Quite a switch in targets there huh?

So yeah, the WB rumors are just that. Deals of that size are done before we hear about it unless they've already fallen through precisely because once the news is public the price of the transaction changes.

What were the rumors? EA, Acti, Take 2 and MS in the hunt at least? That will way over price offer if they're really talking about it now as we hear about it in the press. So my first feeling is there won't be a transfer of ownership at all, or if there is the deal was already done before this news broke.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Crazy shit going on with Sony stock. Hopefully it keep going higher.....

Could be the highest valuation of the company in nearly 20 years!

Mr Hyde

Picking up my new LG 55 Oled C9 on Wednesday. After that I'm just waiting for the pre-orders to go live. Will most likely pick up Cyberpunk at launch if Demon's Souls ain't out of the oven yet. Either way, it's one hell of a launch game. If CDPR doesn't fuck it up.

You don't have to, unless the PS5 will support Sony's blutooth tech LDAC (990kbps sound quality bitrate vs 328kbps conventional bluetooth)

03E.jpg

If it would, and the Pulse 3D above that brings back the rumble feature fro Pulse headset back in the PS3 era would make it an insane deal. I would get the new Sony WH-1000XM4 if the Pulse 3D doesn't support LDAC and PS5 does, but I doubt this scenario as it's a massive opportunity to promote its own LDAC tech, which is still mildly supported in high end smartphones (70%) but fully supported in xperia (100% potential) and other Sony products.

26aohv5bdj451.jpg

81UD9t9Zo9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I would love for Sony to quit screwing about with their "gaming" brand headsets, and just take the drivers straight from their high-end headphones. I mean, they're damn fantastic, and should be in the new "PS5 branded" headset.

Bryank75

Banned
Umm 30 mins is really long, is there a TL;DR version of this?
Just talks about why they invested and the rights they get... he thinks it is for R&D and possibly some other perks, like waved fees for using Unreal engine etc.

Doesn't think it will effect Xbox in anyway.

Deal references broadening collaborations with media on social platforms... (Fortnite, music, films etc)

Last edited:
Just talks about why they invested and the rights they get... he thinks it is for R&D and possibly some other perks, like waved fees for using Unreal engine etc.

Doesn't think it will effect Xbox in anyway.

Deal references broadening collaborations with media on social platforms... (Fortnite, music, films etc)
It's actually what makes sense. Obviously, us being gamers, we get stuck on the possible ramifications of a deal like this in gaming, but we should not forget that Sony has other media divisions, and that it makes perfect sense collaborating with Epic, since Unreal is used in tons of other applications in the cinema world and stuff like the concerts done on Fortnite could be done by Sony artists primarily from now on, to put a couple of examples.

Bryank75

Banned
It's actually what makes sense. Obviously, us being gamers, we get stuck on the possible ramifications of a deal like this in gaming, but we should not forget that Sony has other media divisions, and that it makes perfect sense collaborating with Epic, since Unreal is used in tons of other applications in the cinema world and stuff like the concerts done on Fortnite could be done by Sony artists primarily from now on, to put a couple of examples.
Absolutely, particularly with covid right now.... virtual concerts may become a big thing.... a way to digitally interact with your favorite band / singers.

Absolutely, particularly with covid right now.... virtual concerts may become a big thing.... a way to digitally interact with your favorite band / singers.
Actually, just a couple days ago, Trivium, one of my favourite bands, did a live streamed concert with full production on an empty venue. At 9$ the ticket, considering they also had Sylosis (another pretty sick band) doing a short set, it was a pretty nice deal, and for something that people are definitely not used to yet, they sold over 12.000 tickets, which is not bad.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Yup, and people thought we were hyperbolic when we expected a chiplet (stacked) 36+36=72CU PS5 Pro down the line:

kkkkkk.jpg

This Big Navi is gonna be cheaper to build! I think it'll be around $700-800. With probably another higher one with 80CU (40+40).

Last edited:

DrDamn

Yup, and people thought we were hyperbolic when we expected a chiplet (stacked) 36+36=72CU PS5 Pro down the line:

kkkkkk.jpg

This Big Navi is gonna be cheaper to build! I think it'll be around $700-800. With probably another higher one with 80CU (40+40).

That clustering of 36CUs is what Dodkrake Dodkrake has been linking to the PS5 design choices. Interesting.

This is the stacked design AMD is going for. 40 CU chiplets that can be stacked. This makes me wonder if the Xbox is running on a more legacy tech compared to the ps5, though both are highly customised designs.
We actually don't know if PS5 features stacked design based on chiplets, it is theorized and rightfully so but never actually confirmed, speculation due to not being shown even a mockup of the SoC is causing this while we know XSX mockup die shot. It is possible and I actually think it is stacked like we suspect but still we can't rule out both being the same legacy layout in design principles.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We actually don't know if PS5 features stacked design based on chiplets, it is theorized and rightfully so but never actually confirmed, speculation due to not being shown even a mockup of the SoC is causing this while we know XSX mockup die shot. It is possible and I actually think it is stacked like we suspect but still we can't rule out both being the same legacy layout in design principles.

I don't think PS5 is using stacked APU but rather "preparing" for a stacked one for PS5 Pro for smooth manufacturing. SSD could be stacked though, or pretty close.

Bryank75

Banned
A very nice video on the case for a PS5 Pro to actually exist or not this next-gen:

Was just watching, I think PlayStation will have a mid-gen upgrade. Probably CPU up close to 4GHz and GPU up to 18 or so Tflops with another small bumb to SSD I assume.

PS5 will have to run PSVR2 and therefore higher fps games and we can already see that openworld games will not be 60fps is many cases..... only answer is to have a mid gen upgrade.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I pre-ordered the PS5 2-3 months ago, not sure what the big deal is with "official" pre-orders.
Actually knowing with reasonable certainty you'll get a system at launch.

Just not a common practice in the US for online stores to sell merchandise before they have an agreement with a supplier I guess; not that all pre-orders are always fulfilled on time, because shit happens, but the idea is that what you are buying is an item in their stock based on a deal they have with a supplier.. not a product they hope to get in stock but aren't sure how many they'll be receiving so you never know.

Top Bottom