• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 [OT] Taking Over The World One SSD At A Time

Bryank75

Banned
My ps-4 is officially sold. Now starts a full month without gaming for me until the dawn of the new generation a month from now on November 12th, 2020 (assuming it arrives on time as Walmart currently says it will, and I can take the road trip back home for it). #PS5
It will be worth it and starving yourself for games before launch is probably a good idea!

THEAP99

Banned
It will be worth it and starving yourself for games before launch is probably a good idea!
Yep. I plan on buying demon's souls and cyberpunk. Hopefully cyberpunk at least has a 60fps mode or something.
Then my gamesharing partner whenever he gets his ps-5 (hopefully launch day but he would have to camp out), is getting miles morales and black ops

Bryank75

Banned
Yep. I plan on buying demon's souls and cyberpunk. Hopefully cyberpunk at least has a 60fps mode or something.
Then my gamesharing partner whenever he gets his ps-5 (hopefully launch day but he would have to camp out), is getting miles morales and black ops
Sounds like a very solid plan. We'll have tons to play... especially with Ratchet and Kena and other stuff in the launch window too.
I'm definitely getting more excited as we get closer to launch.

You know what? I'm thinking Sony might get PS5 at $399 at launch. Seriously. The SSD solution probably isn't more expensive than MSs solution (it's actually more related to the co-processors, which I'd supposed aren't insanely expensive) than the Flash Memory itself. The APU on the other hand, having only 36CUs as opposed to 52 of the XSX makes it a whole lot easier to produce than the X. Yield numbers are probably much better for the PS5. Also, the fact they announced they're ramping up production makes me think exactly that: 1) that the yields are very good and 2) that the price is not too high that Sony can risk ordering more units than previously thought.

We'll see though.
Guess I got it right, to a point.

Barakov

Gold Member
Just pre-ordered my first PS5 game despite not having a pre-order for the actual unit.
iu

knguyen

Street fighters were first games I bought when I got my PS3 and PS4. Lets see if I can continue that tradition with the PS5. We make a jump from 1.8 to 10.2 teraflops with much better graphics, lightning fast loading time and tons of good games (exclusives and third parties) coming out in the next few years. I'm going to enjoy the PS5.

MrS

Banned
My ps-4 is officially sold. Now starts a full month without gaming for me until the dawn of the new generation a month from now on November 12th, 2020 (assuming it arrives on time as Walmart currently says it will, and I can take the road trip back home for it). #PS5
Sold mine 2 weeks ago and have kinda been enjoying not having a console. The wait will be a breeze!

Last edited:

martino

Sure!

So here’s the problem - gaming is becoming increasingly ubiquitous. MS, Amazon, Google, perhaps Apple and others are looking to producing subscription based gaming services across multiple platforms. Not to mention the explosion of mobile gaming.

Consoles are becoming marginalised in the gaming space and going forward there’s every reason to believe that will continue.

Ultimatey that will make PS custom hardware and brand unsustainable.

Here’s my suggestion to address this problem.

Sony should make a deal with MS (and/or Amazon, Google, Apple) to put Sony 1st party games on gamepass (or equivalents)

Yeah controversial I know but hear me out.

If you look at subscription services like Netflix or Spotify - they don’t make money. MS won’t make money from gamepass and neither will amazon, google or anyone else. Those services need continual new content and that siphons off all the cash they make from subscriptions.

The companies that make the content that goes on those subscription services .... they make money. They make money for the same reason movie production companies make money but cinemas don’t.

So, wait until PS5 is a proven sales success and again dominating the gen - I don’t see why it wouldn’t. That should be evident about 12 to 18 months into the gen.

Then Sony can sell that content to MS (or indeed Amazon or Google or even epic - just start a bidding war) and let them do the marketing and delivery. Sony can just sit back and watch the cash roll in.

If they want they can say non Xbox hardware only - there won’t be any further custom hardware from MS after this coming gen. If Sony want they can say 1 year+ after PlayStation launch along with other restrictions to maintain the PlayStation the “best place to play” but not the only place.

Sony should do it to position themselves for the future. Trying to draw the wagons round and protect the PlayStation eco system in the face of completion from Amazon, Google, MS and even Apple, isn’t going to generate the revenue they need long term to keep PlayStation relevant.

At the same time they can introduce a form of gamepass onto the PlayStation platform if they do the deal with MS and charge MS for the access.

TLDR - Sony should keep producing high quality content and sell it across multiple platforms in return for licensing/royalty fees.

future is a content war and platform will become irrelevant down the road that i can only agree on
at some point baseline power will be enough to always put all the strain of the production on the budget and talent to producing game content (like movies in fact)
not sure when it will fully be the case but we can already see the premise of it.

After reading stuff over the last week or so on the next gen speculation thread i've been permanently banned from (lame) i just wanted to come here and say i was wrong about the dualsense, i think it sounds amazing!

Welcome to the club. The mods are banning people from the thread to force migration elsewhere and yes the Dualsense does sound very promising.

Last edited:

splattered

Welcome to the club. The mods are banning people from the thread to force migration elsewhere and yes the Dualsense does sound very promising.

I thought it was just more advanced HD Rumble when it was announced but hearing more info from devs i think it sounds great. Now that the price has been revealed and it isn't as high as i was worried it would be i'm not bothered by not being able to use Dualshock 4 on the PS5.

Cock of War

Just pre-ordered my first PS5 game despite not having a pre-order for the actual unit.
iu

Oh man, this brings back memories. I bought a copy of Gran Turismo 3 before I bought a PS2. I was stuck working on a ship for about a month before I was able to unite those two gems. Every night in my bunk, studying the box, the manual (not much substance), the back of box screenshots, remembering that amazing tv ad, imagining, dreaming.
I was not disappointed ❤

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So I’ve decided on ass. creed as my PS5 launch game so pre-ordered that today.

Not sure what to do about Cyberpunk, whether to play the built for PS4 version or just hold off until the full fat PS5 version is launched. Decisions, decisions.

Don’t think I can put myself through Demons Souls again, not bothered with that Spider-Man spinoff. So what other PS5 game to get for launch...

Not sure what to do about Cyberpunk, whether to play the built for PS4 version or just hold off until the full fat PS5 version is launched. Decisions, decisions.

Don’t think I can put myself through Demons Souls again, not bothered with that Spider-Man spinoff. So what other PS5 game to get for launch...
Nothing.
You better play ass creed and wait for Q1 2021. We probably will get RE8 Village and Ratchet Rift Apart

I will play Demon's Souls, Spider-Man MM and maybe Cold War campaign.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Did you play GoT? If not I’d suggest that. I’d suggest that before Ass Creed actually.

Maybe look out for Kena if that’s your thing. R&C should be coming soon.

CP2077 claims to be “improved” on PS5 at launch but exactly what that upgrade is hasn’t been made clear. Probably Res and/or FPS. So it should be better than the PS4 version even before the next gen patch is released. If you’re going to get it, you may as well play it on PS5.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Looking forward to seeing what adjustments they made to Assassins Creed, Origins was my 2017 game of the year.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah I’ve finished GoT and got the platinum on it (not bragging, just saying)

I suppose for some single player action, the Cold War campaign could be a possibility. There is a point I get to in all ass. creed games where you open up another section and see nothing but question marks and I do a big sigh. I carry on regardless, but maybe when the big sigh happens I could put a quick blast of CW on.

Godfall is a launch title isn’t it? Think I’ll wait for review on that one, I’m a bit worried it’s all mouth and no trousers.

I know this is the PS5 thread but I’ve got the same issue on what to play on Series X too. But that’s a conversation for another thread.

Perrott

Gold Member
Here in Argentina the console releases on December 4th - three weeks later than in the US :rolleyes:

I'm planning on getting Demon's Souls at launch and then Miles Morales, FF7 Remake and Cyberpunk on the PS Store holiday sales.

Game.co.uk seems to accept pre-orders for PS5 with additional controller. Just ordered one for myself. Initialy it said out of stock when payment was accepted. tried again. worked got an order number

No idea how long it lasts. they also have bundles with the cam, and remote. Onlydigital edition

mancs

Really looking forward to p5, slightly off topic , on a TV , chroma is part of the colour gradient https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_key

For any #_+++** out there

Chroma key compositing, or chroma keying, is a visual-effects and post-production technique for compositing (layering) two images or video streams together based on colour hues (chroma range).

I couldn't reply in the next gen rumour thread , as I have nothing to add (supposedly), like 99.9% of everyone else in there , especially that dummy... whom tries very hard at trolling and fails.

Last edited:

Reficul

Hi y'all.
Another member of the banned club. I gotta say that some xbox fans are really snowflaky for reporting my joke post. Well that's 2020 for you I guess. Me? I just put people on ignore if they get annoying. Never reported a single person on this forum.

Well enough ranting. Looking forward to launch even though my pre-ordered PS5 was delayed until May 2021. I will have to try to get one in a store or from some scalper when available.

The current generation really lived up to my expectations. A lot of Great games released and the consoles has worked flawlessly for my part. Even though they were a bit noisy at times. Hoping this will continue with the new equipment (except the noisy part of course.

Just a month left now. Hope all the lucky ones will enjoy the PS5 on day one.

splattered

With PS5 you aren't switching the game like Quick Resume, you are booting the game from a blank state. Apples and Oranges.

Probably already covered but a lot of posts to go through.. says switching games takes 8 seconds. So ps5 version of quick resume? How fast is XSX again? Game dependant? I forget.

splattered

Can't remember. But PS5 isn't exactly game switching, it was cold booting the games. There was no game state saved to the SSD. We haven't seen actual game switching on PS5.

Hmm are you sure? Seems like most games have more than 8 seconds of logos in the beginning so wording of this seems strange then. Are we sure it isn't quick resume?

Mr Hyde

Assassins Creed Valhalla looks to be shaping up quite nicely. Been watching a couple of videos now and the environments are so beautiful. The exploration seems top notch. I'm at the fence on buying this. Might be hype fever, because I've never been interested in AC before, but damn this looks good.

splattered

Assassins Creed Valhalla looks to be shaping up quite nicely. Been watching a couple of videos now and the environments are so beautiful. The exploration seems top notch. I'm at the fence on buying this. Might be hype fever, because I've never been interested in AC before, but damn this looks good.

I always buy them but never play them haha this one does look pretty neat though

Top Bottom