• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 outsells the SNES in after 3 years on the market.

rage-angry.gif
giphy.gif

It's clear that you're a seething Nintendo fan who wants us to think otherwise.

You can't fool me, warrior.
LOL. I play games, not hardware, and am mostly platform agnostic. And generally couldn't care less, other than just pointing out that you added the last part of the sentence in the thread title purely to start something, for no reason.

But you do you, bro.

Last edited:
Actually, no. The OP personally added it for some reason.

Isn’t this sort of console warrior trolling bullshit against the rules here?
There should be. But if you look at his other posts, he's clearly going out of his way to be shitty about basically everything, so it's just his MO, I guess.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

There’s about a billion more people on the planet playing games now. All of us that grew up with Atari and the NES are still buying consoles. In the SNES days, the preponderance of games were under 12 years old with the Genesis attracting the teenagers and guys in their early 20s.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's comparing an era where parents took care of the kids, telling them No, and asking them to do something else than playing video games.

Nowadays the whole generation are left to themselves in front of video game or internet. Shitty ass parents that can't stand firm , no discipline or respect. So Yeah obviously they sell more video games today.

Sethbacca

The size of the gaming market now has grown literal orders of magnitudes in size since the early 90s. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Back then the gaming market was limited primarily to geeky kids, and now it's all of us and all of our kids plus people that we've picked up along the way. Nintendo had a bigger cut of the market as a percentage than Sony does even today, which is the only real meaningful metric here.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
The size of the gaming market now has grown literal orders of magnitudes in size since the early 90s. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. Back then the gaming market was limited primarily to geeky kids, and now it's all of us and all of our kids plus people that we've picked up along the way. Nintendo had a bigger cut of the market as a percentage than Sony does even today, which is the only real meaningful metric here.
I'm not sure that's right.

An order of magnitude is approximately 10 times the size of a thing (number times 10 to the first power). Google tells me that the size of the gaming market by revenue in 1990 was $17.9 billion. Adjusted for inflation to 2023 dollars that's $41.7 billion. Google then tells me that the size of the video game market by revenue in 2023 was $187.7 billion. That's actually ~0.45 orders of magnitude when you adjust for inflation.

I guess if you didn't adjust for inflation you could say that the growth was ~1.04 orders of magnitude. "Literal orders" could be fudging since "orders" implies more than one whole order of magnitude and .04 orders of magnitude at this scale is pretty much statistically zero. So you could say the gaming market has grown a little over one literal order of magnitude since 1990 if we don't care about inflation and we're creating an infographic or something. But not literal orders of magnitude. The next one up would be 10 to the second power and the video game market hasn't grown to 100 times the size it was in 1990.

Kerotan

Leave Nintendo alone they can't compete with a traditional home console like playstation anymore. GameCube was their last real effort and N64 before that. They know their place now so it's all good.

the industry is way bigger than before specially 30 years ago, that is why its difficult and lot of times pointless to make comparisons using just the number of sales, a system may sell as much as the nes for example but that doesnt mean it have the level of dominance of the industry the nes had, at the time the NES was basically a monopoly, the same with the switch its a very successful system and its very close to PS2 sales but even if it ends up selling as much it is nowhere the same dominance the PS2 had where its competitors combined not even sold half of it, the SNES back in the day had something like 50% even less if we count the gameboy, wich its a lot but in todays industry you have plenty of platforms, cellphones, blured lines betwen mobile and home console, most users have different systems not just one(console, pc, smartphone), and PC market is inmense, even if switch doesnt sell as much as PS2, another system will sell as much eventually and even in less time without having the same impact and if the PS5 sells as much as SNES it doesnt mean it has the same % of the gaming industry even if its imensely popular(wich is) maybe it ends up way better than SNES but there is no point in bringing it up as some kind of popularity contest or console warring

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I'm not sure that's right.

An order of magnitude is approximately 10 times the size of a thing (number times 10 to the first power). Google tells me that the size of the gaming market by revenue in 1990 was $17.9 billion. Adjusted for inflation to 2023 dollars that's $41.7 billion. Google then tells me that the size of the video game market by revenue in 2023 was $187.7 billion. That's actually ~0.45 orders of magnitude when you adjust for inflation.

I guess if you didn't adjust for inflation you could say that the growth was ~1.04 orders of magnitude. "Literal orders" could be fudging since "orders" implies more than one whole order of magnitude and .04 orders of magnitude at this scale is pretty much statistically zero. So you could say the gaming market has grown a little over one literal order of magnitude since 1990 if we don't care about inflation and we're creating an infographic or something. But not literal orders of magnitude. The next one up would be 10 to the second power and the video game market hasn't grown to 100 times the size it was in 1990.
Yeah I shouldn’t have used literal there I’ll own that. My point was more or less that the market is massively bigger.

onQ123

The gaming market is much much bigger now than it was in the early 90s.

You can thank Nintendo and the Wii for that.

Hold the hell up lol.

Thank Nintendo & Wii?

So you're going to ignore the fact that PS1 & PS2 sold over 100 million before the Will came along?

PS1 came out a few years after SNES & sold 2X more in the 90's

Top Bottom