• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 outsells the SNES in after 3 years on the market.

Deerock71

You seemed to care the other way around thou
that's you GIF by Kim's Convenience's you GIF by Kim's Convenience
I just read through that whole four pages for shits and giggles, and I never mentioned the SNES once.

Killjoy-NL

I agree 💯 percent.

Even if the PS5 ends up with lofty hardware numbers, I wonder what will its overall legacy be?

The console everyone bought for Spidey Man?
Doesn't matter what you think it will be remembered by.
The average gamer will buy the console that everybody else wants.

TexMex

But I think some are raging, though.

Especially when you consider the PS5 has been scarce for half of its existence.

You "think" they are, or are they? They're really not. And you being able to find some dork seething about this nonsense in some corner of the internet doesn't mean that "they" are doing it. You really think Nintendo fans are up in arms comparing the sales stats between these two consoles? I could find some subreddit of people who love eating their own shit but I'm not going to say that applies to a huge swath of people. Clickbait nonsense.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
You "think" they are, or are they? They're really not. And you being able to find some dork seething about this nonsense in some corner of the internet doesn't mean that "they" are doing it. You really think Nintendo fans are up in arms comparing the sales stats between these two consoles? I could find some subreddit of people who love eating their own shit but I'm not going to say that applies to a huge swath of people. Clickbait nonsense.
OK, let's say that I left "raging" out of the thread title..

Would that make Nintendo fans less likely to rage? I think not.

They would have still been raging, even if I hadn't called it out.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I am RAGING right now

CosmicComet

Lol.

Not sure why Nintendo fans would be raging at 90s console's sales.

They can point out how the Switch came out 3 years after the PS4 and beat the shit out of it in sales and is continuing to do well, so much so that it's currently within shouting distance of the PS2 without ever having a permanent price cut (and will certainly never reach $99 like Ps2 did).

Last edited:

TexMex

No one is raging about this topic. No one is even thinking about this topic but you.

Sojiro

But lets be fair to all sides here, I need to know that all console fans were raging. You should have reported how Sega fans were raging when the PS5 passed the Genesis, Xbox fans raging when it passed the original Xbox, Atari fans raging as it passed the 2600. Typically I start my day off seeing what the PS5 has outsold and just start raging immediately afterwards. I'm raging hard right now...so hard..

SeraphJan

Comparing against SNES is weird indeed, however comparing against Switch is equally weird as you are comparing a portable console vs a non portable console.

SNES is still the king for what it brings to the table at the time. Besides sales number is not everything, NGC sold poorly (relatively) but doesn't stop it from being a great console.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

I agree 💯 percent.

Even if the PS5 ends up with lofty hardware numbers, I wonder what will its overall legacy be?

The console everyone bought for Spidey Man?
Most of the games that made the PS4's legacy came at the tail end of it's cycle. God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us Part II, Days Gone and Spider-Man were released between 2018-2020 with the PS5 launching in the Fall of 2020.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Most of the games that made the PS4's legacy came at the tail end of it's cycle. God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us Part II, Days Gone and Spider-Man were released between 2018-2020 with the PS5 launching in the Fall of 2020.
So the moral of the story is to wait until the last two years of a console's lifespan to buy one because that's when it finally gets good games.

bender

What time is it?
200w.gif

JaksGhost

So the moral of the story is to wait until the last two years of a console's lifespan to buy one because that's when it finally gets good games.
This gen is different because there was a large cross-gen overlap that I haven't seen with previous consoles. They did start the gen with some of their biggest sequels but the new, genre defining games are usually released near the last 2-3 years.

BlueLyria

Are the raging nintendo fans in the room with us right now?

Really dumb article that ignores how big the gaming market is right now compared to the 90s

Top Bottom