• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 outsells the SNES in after 3 years on the market.

What surprises me about these lists of best-selling consoles is Sega, for more than 15 years they released many consoles and add-ons and they all sold a pittance (except MD).

Calverz

So what? It is still a milestone. Folks really getting triggerd over this? lol
Triggered? Who is getting triggered?
Animated GIF

Del_X

There’s more people and the consumer base has grown. There’s 80 million more people in America alone than 1995.

Eiknarf

Banned
I don't think the PS5 is going to overtake the PS4 in sales by the end of the generation.
Thats my armchair prediction.
PC, PC handhelds and VR helmets are going to eventually eat into locked down console market.

It’ll be a close call.

The PS4 sold 117 million units to date. I don’t think they’re gonna sell many more new units. Perhaps refurbished ones through Sony and GameStop, but does that count towards new PS4 sales?

Anyway; The PS5 sold 51 million units.

So the PS5 is less than half way there in terms of units sold

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The gaming market is much much bigger now than it was in the early 90s.

You can thank Nintendo and the Wii for that.
jake-gyllenhaal-no.gif

PlayStation made gaming big in the 90s.
Nintendo expanded the market in the late 80's but it wasn't until the first Playstation that it exploded into what it is today.
Some don't like giving credit where it's due.

BlackTron

leaving Nintendo fans raging

Where did that come from? Did you just add that yourself? lol we can do the same thing

thieves steal more food with a truck than German Hops can out of a refrigerator with a bag, leaving him raging

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The Wii did that aswell. Actually it was faster IIRC..

Doesn't mean it's better than the SNES.

ManaByte

Gold Member
jake-gyllenhaal-no.gif

Nintendo expanded the market in the late 80's but it wasn't until the first Playstation that it exploded into what it is today.
Some don't like giving credit where it's due.
PlayStation expanded it but the Wii exploded it especially with older people.

Aenima

The gaming market is much much bigger now than it was in the early 90s.

You can thank Nintendo and the Wii for that.
Actually he can thank Playstation with PS1 and PS2 that expanded the market to a new audience (young adults) The Wii was massive among casual players but they are not the audience buying PS5.

TheMan

I feel like a lot of article writers see a handful of bad reactions on twitter to something stupid and then hyperbolize the shit out of that to say people are "raging".

Last edited:

BlackTron

I feel like a lot of article writers see a handful of bad reactions on twitter to something stupid and then hyperbolize the shit out of that to say people are "raging".

What article writer said anyone was raging? OP just stuck it in the title of his post schooling everyone on how to misdirect with clickbait headlines.

Topher

Gold Member

Wii expanded and then contracted as those non-gamers eventually lost interest. I'd say PS2 had a more lasting impact in expanding gaming than the Wii did.

That's the OP. Not the article writer.

Last edited:

Hudo

Doesn't matter if Sony don't use that money to make a new Motorstorm or Wipeout. PS5 is still worthless without these games.

Edit: Nintendo should also make a new F-Zero. Miyamoto doesn't have to know.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Doesn't matter if Sony don't use that money to make a new Motorstorm or Wipeout. PS5 is still worthless without these games.
I agree 💯 percent.

Even if the PS5 ends up with lofty hardware numbers, I wonder what will its overall legacy be?

The console everyone bought for Spidey Man?

Last edited:

TGO

Like I said, that userbase didn't migrate to the next generation.
Probably because the Wii ended up in the cardboard after a week, just like Playstation VR
The Switches userbase is the 3DS's so it's actually down in comparison
The market has grown a little bit, but it's more or less the same it was in the PS2 era
The Wii was literally what everyone said it was, a Fad.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is really just starting, some have experienced the early launch games the thing with the PlayStation experience is they always heat up late.

TGO

You might be hard pressed to find a bigger Nintendo backer than me, and I couldn't give two shits less about the PS5 outselling the SNES.
You seemed to care the other way around thou
that's you GIF by Kim's Convenience

TexMex

Completely incomparable for obvious reasons and Nintendo fans are not “raging” over this meaningless statistic at all. Please stop.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Completely incomparable for obvious reasons and Nintendo fans are not “raging” over this meaningless statistic at all. Please stop.
But I think some are raging, though.

Especially when you consider the PS5 has been scarce for half of its existence.

Top Bottom