• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 Scalpers Aren’t Happy With Their Public Image

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I'm following you.
Basically you say scalpers make buying the item easier for those who want to pay, is that correct?

But you're missing an important point: the scalper does not offer more stock. He doesn't offer items that were, otherwise, out of reach.
On the contrary, the scalper first takes stock out of normal people's reach, and then increases the price for that exact same item, that would have been bought at regular price otherwise.
Exactly because of that, offer is limited therefore their existence is justified. Where else did they see the oportunity if it wasn't because demand is not fullfiled?

"The backlash from angry gamers has led to death threats"

Here We Go Again GIF by memecandy

Seriously though fuck the scalpers and STOP BUYING FROM SCALPERS

raduque

Come on, there are many people which main income source is reselling for those that want to pay more for having it quicker (or at all sometimes)
Fuck those people in particular. Get a real job, stop taking advantage of people.

A good way to stop scalping would be to require the original receipt and card used for purchase to use the warranty. Can't provide it? Go pound sand.

Miles708

Exactly because of that, offer is limited therefore their existence is justified. Where else did they see the oportunity if it wasn't because demand is not fullfiled?
Well, their existence exacerbates the availability problem, so they are "justified" only to the extent you're willing to overpay the same guy who created your problems.

First world problems, sure, but still.

Last edited:
We all love capitalism, otherwise we would not have so many shiny boxes and electronics in a free market to war over.

Assholism on the other hand.

For the record, I don't agree with laws against scalping either.
Well supply and demand. If you love capitalism, you have to love scalpers too.
Cant have ist both ways.

Last edited:

Videospel

This is a worrying trend. Personally I might not be in the market for a new console right now, but we've seen the same with graphics cards. What else will be scalped and sold for double the price? At this rate stores or manufacturers might as well set a higher price from the start if that's what people are ready to pay.

Well supply and demand. If you love capitalism, you have to love scalpers too.
Cant have ist both ways.
Capitalism is not the market. You are not suppose to love capitalism, Capitalism is just a way to run a market. Loving Capitalism is like Worshiping the Pope as a deity; you are missing the whole point.

But i guess by now USA had not seen fair markets for so long that most adults there have never heard of fair markets. They just worship the idol like everyone else because no one told them they were doing it wrong.

Umbasaborne

Banned
there needs to be legislation around this. Its ridiculous, and its making console makers look bad.

all scalpers are fucking scum.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Why would Forbes even publish this nonsense lol.

That milk comparison is fucking dumb. Like, no shit manufacturers and sellers markup prices. That's how they make money. It doesn't make any sense for someone to buy milk at say, 50 cents a gallon and then sell it at 50 cents a gallon. They have to make money to pay for packaging the milk and shipping the milk. So they sell it to a store and that store might pay 85 cents a gallon. Well, then it doesn't make sense for Walmart to sell it for 85 cents a gallon. They have to make money to pay for the coolers to store the milk in and the employees who stock it. So they'll charge $1.25.

None of that exists here. Sony already manufactured the PS5 and sold it to say, Best Buy for a profit. And Best Buy already took that PS5 and are selling it at a profit for $399/499. Now some asshat is manipulating the system to buy all the consoles and sell them for huge markups. Not the same thing at all.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, their existence exacerbates the availability problem, so they are "justified" only to the extent you're willing to overpay the same guy who created your problems.

First world problems, sure, but still.
"Who created the problem"? No, they take advantage of an already existing problem and resell the products for those that are whiling to pay more and don't wanna go through the hasle of queuing, etc.

The responsible for this are the console makers which can't fullfill demand, if they could, scalpers wouldn't have any reason to even try it, actually, they wouldn't even have an escenario for that.

Scalpers are a symptom, not an origin of an unsatisfied market, specially when they're barely 10% of total sales.

Kataploom

Gold Member
there needs to be legislation around this. Its ridiculous, and its making console makers look bad.

all scalpers are fucking scum.
So you want to limit people's right to trade goods in order for you to buy your toys? Damn...

I'd rather keep all of you with anxiety for months if that's what take not repeating the same shit in other countries.

TLZ

Banned
So you want to limit people's right to trade goods in order for you to buy your toys? Damn...

I'd rather keep all of you with anxiety for months if that's what take not repeating the same shit in other countries.
You can work on banning bots under the idea they're anti fair trade. They defeat the whole purpose of fairness. Humans simply cannot compete with bots. That's enough for me.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You can work on banning bots under the idea they're anti fair trade. They defeat the whole purpose of fairness. Humans simply cannot compete with bots. That's enough for me.
That I can understand completely, actually I'd do that for security reasons first and foremost. But even then that wouldn't eliminate their existence, if anything, they'd be sold a higher price on a black market and scalpers would have to raise their prices.

This is not something you solve just prohibiting prople doing it, because there are so many people involved that in reality would be hard to detect and punish those who fault.

Probably the only thing one can do is to raise minimum security requirements for online shops to work, but even so you'll have lots of small or independent online retailers going out of business cause they cannot afford that (many individuals just put a woocommerce shop for selling their things).

BTW, at least in that one we could agree, if the solution wouldn't generate more problems.

Last edited:

dave_d

That I can understand completely, actually I'd do that for security reasons first and foremost. But even then that wouldn't eliminate their existence, if anything, they'd be sold a higher price on a black market and scalpers would have to raise their prices.
Pretty much. At least that's how it worked here in Massachusetts in the 80s when ticket scalping was illegal. Oh people still scalped tickets, you just had to be a bit further away from the Boston Garden when you bought your tickets to a Celtics game from some guy on the street since they were trying to avoid the cops.(Oh. and then there was the fact a good portion of the time the cops didn't even arrest the guy scalping. They'd take the tickets and go watch the game themselves.)

Kataploom

Gold Member
Pretty much. At least that's how it worked here in Massachusetts in the 80s when ticket scalping was illegal. Oh people still scalped tickets, you just had to be a bit further away from the Boston Garden when you bought your tickets to a Celtics game from some guy on the street since they were trying to avoid the cops.(Oh. and then there was the fact a good portion of the time the cops didn't even arrest the guy scalping. They'd take the tickets and go watch the game themselves.)
Yep, regulations without proper execution (or regulations as is) just create black markets, which is even worst considering prices go higher, things harder to find and perpetrators harder to detect.

The solution is not by law, but by offer increase, if people can't afford to wait they have scalpers if they don't want o can't pay the money they have to wait, with or without regulations, which would probably set more incentives given black markets nature mentioned above.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Public image shouldn’t be a concern from scalpers there’s a history of selling launch consoles, and than there’s used market sellers..

MrSec84

If they don't like having a bad public image, then maybe they shouldn't do thinks to make people see them in a bad light.
The consoles and GPUs were going to be freely available to buy from legitimate sellers, that have agreements with the suppliers to provide those items.
You're artificially creating scarcity, saying it's just like a regular supply and sales chain, even though you're adding in further hinderances to customers being able to buy them for the lower, more convenient (for the customer), unmarked up price points.

It's amoral, a disgusting thing to do.
I hope these idiots can't sell their stocks and are left with millions of units that they can't move on.
Sony and various retailers shouldn't refund or exchange the items out of principle if they try to return them.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had the pleasure of sticking it to a scalper once. It was kinda assholeish on my part too and I think technically Mail fraud, but nonetheless I don’t feel bad about it. Thinking about it makes me erect. 😈

Haggard

Banned
I don`t know what`s more ridiculous, scalpers pretending to care about their image or the hordes of stupid wannabes pretending they wouldn`t bank on this situation if they had the means to do so.

Lol so do u guys buy this Forbes clickbait? You think these scalpers sitting on fat wads of cash are really upset that randos mad at them?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don`t know what`s more ridiculous, scalpers pretending to care about their image or the hordes of stupid wannabes pretending they wouldn`t bank on this situation if they had the means to do so.

I have a brand new PS5 sitting in my closet unopened. No desire to scalp it, even though I could easily get a nice amount of money for it.

chaseroni

Nah, not all of us are dicks. Most people can earn cash in a more honorable way anyways.

I do remember a certain member of this board trying to make a brag post about scalping consoles when they launched and how excited he was to do it.
Now he claims to be some kind of "Journalist" getting review copies and shit.
They got dunked on pretty hard and the thread got closed but he's still around here and I'll never forget that thread.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Why would I want to take away somebody else‘s chance to buy the device they want for some amount of cash i make several times over every month anyway?
500 bucks wont make me rich. Plus I am not a dick. In the end i want to be able to look at myself in the mirror too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom