• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X: Teardown Comparison

Jtibh

Banned
I find it extremely implausible that it is both silent and overheating. I mean, unless the fan doesn't work. But keep being faux concerned.
Just to be clear i am also concerned about ps5 .

Overclocked with half of the box for cooling only....

Again i might just wait on both instead of buying expensive warranty.

Bryank75

Banned
its all been debunked. Multiple times. There is no mass overheating problem with the Xbox. There isn’t even a minor problem. There is no issue at all, and 99% of the people here making it an issue have no intention to ever buy one.
Any handy links, I'd love to see any statements about it....

Jtibh

Banned
its all been debunked. Multiple times. There is no mass overheating problem with the Xbox. There isn’t even a minor problem. There is no issue at all, and 99% of the people here making it an issue have no intention to ever buy one.
Dont forget they all tested only back como titles no new next gen.
Meaning the console was barely utilized so who know how it realy acts under stress

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Just to be clear i am also concerned about ps5 .

Overclocked with half of the box for cooling only....

Again i might just wait on both instead of buying expensive warranty.
They are likely both hot, but that doesn't mean there is an issue. Again, fans throttle up when these systems start to overheat. So unless there is an issue with the fan profile, I can't believe it is an issue.

I love the Xboxs form factor, it fits in a lot of spaces, but is very American in its design... its just a box, with everything crammed in extremely tight.

The PS5 I think shows some Japanese ingenuity we don't see in products anymore, its out there, but there are legitimate reasons for it. I feel as is Sony has put a lot more work into their design of the console.

If the early reports are anything to go by, the XSX will run hot, but obviously still within its capabilities. But just wait until release for all the click bait horror stories to come out.

angrod14

It might sound weird but I actually like how big the PS5 is (no homo), not only due to the functional benefits (having more airflow, etc.) but also because it gives it a certain presence that the machine would otherwise not have. It's part of that bold and innovative design that truly wants to show off and catch your attention.

Series X took the other approach: it is minimalistic, discreet and tries to blend in as much as possible. In my perception, however, it only ends up being boring and dull; essentially, a shy black brick that is meant to not be looked at. It also gives the impression of being a lower quality piece in terms of build when compared to its flashy counterpart. Minimalism is kinda hard to get right in design.

Jigga117

Have to see how it performs.... if reports are to be believed, the way it deals with heat is not very good.
The way it deals with heat is the same way a gaming PC and high powered devices move heat. Removing heat isn’t the same as overheating. Placement is a factor and of course not everyone places the equipment like they should to provide proper airflow. Not one report says the system shuts down due to heat being moved out and again why would they send this system to hundreds of random people if they had a concern about this?

Eternal21

Love the fact that Sony is playing it safe with cooling. I don't live in a closet, so have plenty of room, and would rather have a bigger console, than a hotter/louder one.

ZehDon

Dont forget they all tested only back como titles no new next gen.
Meaning the console was barely utilized so who know how it realy acts under stress
This isn't actually correct.

Microsoft have confirmed multiple times that BC titles on the XSX and XSS get access to the full clocks of the hardware. Unlike the PS5, BC titles on the XSX and XSS don't force the hardware into down-clocked legacy profile modes; the BC titles don't have access to the architectural improvements, but they do have access to the full brute force power of the hardware. Being that several titles were running in full 4k 60FPS, it stands to reason we've seen the Xbox Series X under load. And it's apparently whisper quiet. Given the sheer mammoth size of the PS5, I'd expect the console to also be extremely quiet, perhaps more so than even the Series X. We'll know for sure soon enough.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So because the Surface team are gun designers at hardware this is your concern because it doesn't have a tone of plastic shit through the middle of it?
No....I said it looks basic in comparison, not that it is basic or inferior in anyway.
I have no concerns
Many people in this thread have ironically criticized the PS5 or just can't say anything but lol it's big, etc
Someone says the XSX is a basic approach compared to the PS5 and
hqg-418.gif

Last edited:

Boglin

The PS5 compromised its size from the start because of the choice to stay with the typical console form factor and when comparing it to the XSX, I feel Microsoft chose the "work smarter not harder" approach.
That said, I understand there are a lot of reasons for why Sony could have chose the form factor they did and Microsoft choosing a non-standard console shape could be viewed as a compromise as well.

In general, I prefer the standard console shape aesthetically but I have my limits and in my opinion, the PS5 is the biggest, ugliest mainstream console ever made. That didn't stop me from pre-ordering though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
BC probably uses more power than you realize. Emulation needs power .
Yep. I can play current games at ultra @ 1080p on my gaming PC but emulating a PS3 in PCSX3 or even Wii U @ 1080p can bring it to its knees. Emulation is CPU intensive.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Where do you have yours sitting?

Can't wait until we get passed launch and can get some diodes around the APUs front and back to compare board temps. I wonder if there will be any surprises there?
I hide mine in the cabinets.

l77kpPY.png

To me it doesnt matter how the consoles look. I dont even want to see them.

But i cant have a lot of heat in the cabinets.
Even now with extra ventilation its too much in the summer.

Winter i have extra airflow comming from the garage below.

So add to the extra the extra foot print of both and you got yourself a problem.

If ps5 stays cool great .
If xbox pushes all the heat out great.
But if the console heats up even in stand by mode with no fans running , sooner or later something inside will break

intbal

This arguing is pointless.

There can only be one "Greatest Designed Console" of all time.

And I think we all know what that is...

JR0HWSA.jpg

Check out that sleek design. Compact, stylish. It even holds your gamepads. BOTH of them!

QI6NtFS.jpg

Now THAT is a clean interior. Simple, elegant, beautiful.

uc0CjMx.jpg

Heat? What heat? The Colecovision doesn't even need a fan!

Silent Duck

This arguing is pointless.

There can only be one "Greatest Designed Console" of all time.

And I think we all know what that is...

JR0HWSA.jpg

Check out that sleek design. Compact, stylish. It even holds your gamepads. BOTH of them!

QI6NtFS.jpg

Now THAT is a clean interior. Simple, elegant, beautiful.

uc0CjMx.jpg

Heat? What heat? The Colecovision doesn't even need a fan!
Now that is a sexy console. Where can I preorder one? 😉

PresetError

Neophyte
Design is entirely subjective. You think the PS5 is badly designed? That's ok. You think it's a very good design? That's ok. You preach it's objectively bad or good because of a specific criteria? You're wrong.

There was a time were people judged mobile devices like smartphones and tablets for their size. Smaller was high tech and better and bigger was tasteless and worst. That time has passed and nobody talks anymore about smartphones being able to fit in your pocket in order to sell. In fact, phablets exist.

reforen

There are more hands-on videos of the Series X than PS5 and people are saying that the Xbox overheat, has a bad design, it doesn't fit in any cabinet, guys please watch some of those videos then you can rant about the console

Kumomeme

if MS want xsx go to similliar width wide design as traditional console, it also could end up big. the current xsx design end up like that for a reason. well they goes for good choice. downside is it will be thick even laying down.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Xbox reminds me of one of them micro Atx builds. With the surface stuff MS has gotten good and making shit small as possible.

Tschumi

Damn, I just can't get over how massive the PS5 is. It's basically a PC.
As if the XSX isn't a literal PC bwahahahaha

--

On topic, haven't watched these two yet, but judging by the thumbnail isn't the DF thing done in a Microsoft facility? with the posters on the walls etc? And Xbox fans were shitting on the Japanese hands on videos for being in a Sony facility?

Neo_game

SX is like a corsair one PC or a speaker. I like the PS5 router design if you take the white plates off I think it still looks good.

What makes him radical lmao?

That guy has MS tattooed on both his backside cheeks. I listened to a couple of his podcasts where, helped by a whole army of self-proclaimed experts on hardware, software and business practices, he went on to spout the most laughable and delusional statements that any human has ever uttered across the entirety of the Northern hemisphere. No hesitation, no trembling voice...The utter confidence of a mad clown who thinks he’s got it right. My IQ dropped significantly after witnessing that drivel, but it is still higher than the sum of the IQs of all those monkeys who help him shit out his weekly videos.

sainraja

I wish I was able to get one of these at launch. =[

The PS5 is an absolute clusterfuck of a design. Series X is compact and keeps things simple, internally and externally.

No contest.

Um, Series X is not compact.

Last edited:
The bigger question asked though is since they added dust collectors that you can remove and clean to help keep the dust out, we all know majority people won't ever remove them to clean them, what happens if you let it build up?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Xbox proves that the PlayStation didn't need to be as large as it is. What a chonker of a console.
Series X is more powerful yet smaller, lighter, and the innards are easier to get into. So it shows it can be done. The reverse of Xbox One and PS4.

It looks what happened is that fast and hot GPU messed up a traditional design, so they had to make the shell bigger, a bigger fan, a heat sink that looks about double the size of PS4 Pro, and then they wrapped the black shell with a white curvy shell to hide the vents.

If they went with a system designed more like SeX (more CU, less GPU), Sony could have had a design/shell that is smaller whether a gamer lies it flat or vertical, or whether SOny designed it it like a standard console (like a DVD player) or a mini tower design like SeX.

ObedientUnhealthyAiredale-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
As if the XSX isn't a literal PC bwahahahaha

--

On topic, haven't watched these two yet, but judging by the thumbnail isn't the DF thing done in a Microsoft facility? with the posters on the walls etc? And Xbox fans were shitting on the Japanese hands on videos for being in a Sony facility?
There’s a major difference you’re missing. The tear downs were done at MS, but they sent consoles to people for previews. Sony did previews in a tightly controlled office at their headquarters. They didn’t send consoles to anyone. They also did their tear down with a Sony employee. MS let other people do their own tear downs.

Both completely different situations, don’t try and “Microsoft too” it.

What about power bricks? Do both PS and XBOX have have them inside this time?
I hope not. External power bricks are better in every way. Less heat in the console, and easier repair/replacement. It’s like internal batteries, having them just makes it less user friendly.

Last edited:
Imagine the bitterness and delusion one must carry to type something like this.

Not really, in comparison you make xbox fanboys look like cult followers. No more crazier and delusional than ps fanboys you're the one to talk, when basically you're a walking talking hypocrite yourself eh?
VjmtkdE.gif

On-topic: both really don't look all that appealing. Just two sleeker designed PC towers you'd come across in shadowrun or cyberpunk 2077.

Xbox is a minimalistic sleek design packed with power. The best of both worlds. PS5 is overwrought, huge, and garish in design and underachieves in power. The worst of both worlds. No contest, Xbox wins.

It's far from sleek it's a big box it's own right, nothing small about it.

Top Bottom