• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 will be revealed on FEB 5

EDMIX

Lol this guy tidux and foxy gamer will both get shit to end if this isn’t true . Because not too long ago foxy gamer got called by push square for the stupid rumor he posted before . Now both will burn by everyone if this isn’t true .

Date isn’t far off anyway .

Also wasn’t tidux a gaf member who got banned from here for posting the same shit ?

Edit : from reading this thread tidux is going to NY and not PS related . Heh saved by the bill i guess

Agreed. I think they are just saying stuff hoping its true to sound like they have inside info and making it seem as if their "source" was wrong or kept out of the loop on a date change or something. Both seem to talk about rumors of stuff that is inevitable. Like "oh they will announce PS5 in spring" well...no kidding they do MOST Playstation systems. "Oh...they will buy some teams" well sure...Sony themselves told us they will buy some teams.

I got some predictions of my own. A Gran Turismo will release for PS5, my sources are not telling me launch or not, I also I got word that another God Of War and Horizon Zero Dawn will happen, inside scoop folks, a Madden and Call Of Duty will launch with PS5, you heard it here first /s

Q

Quezacotl

Unconfirmed Member
The only way it could be February 5th at this point is if it’s a State of Play Reveal with no press hands on until a later event.

Reactions: TLZ

S0ULZB0URNE

pretty sure it would have been possible if they did it in a similar way to Microsoft and tested and optimised each game individually.

the PS3 isn't that different from the 360, the 360 used the Cell Chip's main CPU core for example, it just had 3 of them.
the cell chip had some weird support cores and stuff but they could have done it if they tried.

it had 8 cores, 1 main CPU core and 7 SPEs, that fits into the 8 cores of the PS4
It takes a powerful PC to emulate the PS3.
PS4 don't have the muscle.

//DEVIL//

Agreed. I think they are just saying stuff hoping its true to sound like they have inside info and making it seem as if their "source" was wrong or kept out of the loop on a date change or something. Both seem to talk about rumors of stuff that is inevitable. Like "oh they will announce PS5 in spring" well...no kidding they do MOST Playstation systems. "Oh...they will buy some teams" well sure...Sony themselves told us they will buy some teams.

I got some predictions of my own. A Gran Turismo will release for PS5, my sources are not telling me launch or not, I also I got word that another God Of War and Horizon Zero Dawn will happen, inside scoop folks, a Madden and Call Of Duty will launch with PS5, you heard it here first /s
Exactly . Stating the obvious isn’t an inside sources. It’s not even a news it’s common sense . I feel like they are just kids playing

yurinka

Ok fine, Sony used to do BC up until the PS3, but stopped doing it with PS4 and decided to double dip on gamers, forcing them to re-buy remakes meanwhile the PS4 was perfectly capably of playing PS2 titles. MS continued with BC and now after Sony has seen all the positive feedback MS has received over it, and the negative feedback after hackers found that BC capabilities were possible all along, they backtracked on their original statement that a new console is for new games and thanks to MS, now going back to putting in the effort of adding BC.

Better?
Sony included BC even in Vita. Didn't include it in PS4 because had a very different hardware that wasn't powerful enough to emulate PS3, and the PS2 emulatod needed per game tweaks and licensing so they sold them. Remasters nd remakes require more work so obviously they also sold them, and now without BC made more sense. As I remember back then both Sony and MS guys said that the perentage of people who played BC games was too small, so it makes sense that they didn't put much effort in BC. At least they put PS Now to have some way to play old games for a low price, and that helped them to experiment with game streaming.

Looking at patents and supposed leaks, PS5 seems to be designed with a powerful hardware optimized for BC, and they seem to have some tech that even allows them to update some game assets with way less work, maybe even without needing to recompile the game.

So I'm not sure, but sounds they may be able to allow you to use your old games without paying them again, something you already did in PS2, PS3 or with digital PS1/PSP games on Vita, and even to put them as they were in the store again requiring a lot of less work in their side, without needing per game tweaks and maybe even without needing to license the game. And on top of that, these games sounds that may also receive (optional?) upgrades with things like new art assets and so on.

I think MS has very little influence here because it's something Sony always did and PS4 not having BC was a side effect of losing that to gain something way better: a way easier to develop hardware, cheaper to make and future proof in terms of BC for future consoles. PS4 had a massive market leadership compared to MS, in any case it was MS who was learning/copying stuff from Sony like BC, remote play or game streaming subscription, getting a bigger list of 1st party studios, etc.

Last edited:

Fnord

It shocks me the number of people that still don't get that. The PS3 architecture was much different from the 360s. MS couldn't get 100%, across the board BC with the 360 on the XB1. And the 360 was much closer in architecture to the x86, from a bird's eye view. Start throwing in several SPUs that don't physically exist on the PS4, coupled with having to emulate the PPC architacture on an x86 plus memory system differences, plus GPU differences... it was never going to work with what's under the hood on the PS4. Especially in a form that a major, multi-national corporation would be comfortable putting in front of the average consumer.

vkbest

It shocks me the number of people that still don't get that. The PS3 architecture was much different from the 360s. MS couldn't get 100%, across the board BC with the 360 on the XB1. And the 360 was much closer in architecture to the x86, from a bird's eye view. Start throwing in several SPUs that don't physically exist on the PS4, coupled with having to emulate the PPC architacture on an x86 plus memory system differences, plus GPU differences... it was never going to work with what's under the hood on the PS4. Especially in a form that a major, multi-national corporation would be comfortable putting in front of the average consumer.

The problem is Sony is pretty bad at software (don't mean games), they have trust always on hardware for BC. For example, Vita have a MIPS for emulating PSP, instead software emulation on the Quad ARM. PS2 had hardware for PSX, and launch PS3 mode had partial hardware from PS2.

Even the emulator of PS2 they did on PS4 for some games is not good enough

CeeJay

Nope. PS3 used Cell, 360 used an architecture very similar to PC that made such a thing with XONE very easy to be BC to. MS did a great job with 360 in that respect btw.

Nope that's revisionist history right there! They were more similar than you are giving credit. Both PS3 and XB360 were based on PowerPC CPUs;

OK, the PS3 may have been a bit more exotic but the BC on XB1 for XB360 was certainly not easy and also seen by the vast majority of people as impossible prior to it been announced.

GreatnessRD

You know, when PS5 gets revealed, I hope they announce MAG 2.
My mind and soul are both ready. You don't understand the excitement I'd have if this were the case.

I would be surprised to see that. That game was just too ahead of its time. What team would do?
It's a pipe dream. I think we'd get a Socom or Syphon Filter game before another MAG, but boy would that be awesome to see. And I don't know if they could go back to faction exclusiveness. Or at least they'd have to allow you to able to switch between them. I remember back in the G where everyone wanted to be on SVER(For some unknown reason to me, lol) so it was always lopsided affairs. But it was definitely ahead of its time.

Oh, Valor forever!

My phone's kaput since yesterday and not sure if I'd get one until Feb 8th. Hope the event doesn't happen before Feb 8th(no access to internet either outside of workplace)

Banned
Nope. PS3 used Cell, 360 used an architecture very similar to PC that made such a thing with XONE very easy to be BC to.

the Xbox 360's CPU is comprised of 3 cores which are modified versions of the Cell Chip's PowerPC main CPU core.
they are both PowerPC

it also takes a very powerful PC to emulate the 360...
the issue with fan made emulators is that they don't have a big and professional team of programmers and they don't have people there that know the hardware in and out.

it also takes a pretty decent PC to emulate the Switch, a console that runs on a mainstream mobile chipset.

Last edited:

Esppiral

You are wrong at so many levels

S0ULZB0URNE

the Xbox 360's CPU is comprised of 3 cores which are modified versions of the Cell Chip's PowerPC main CPU core.
they are both PowerPC

it also takes a very powerful PC to emulate the 360...
the issue with fan made emulators is that they don't have a big and professional team of programmers and they don't have people there that know the hardware in and out.

it also takes a pretty decent PC to emulate the Switch, a console that runs on a mainstream mobile chipset.
The Cell is superior to the 360 CPU... heck many say it's superior to this gens Jaguar when and if it's utilized to it's fullest.

Heinrich

Banned
The Cell is superior to the 360 CPU... heck many say it's superior to this gens Jaguar when and if it's utilized to it's fullest.

It maybe „stronger“, but in no way superior. If you can’t use the power, then what’s the use of it? Nothing. Moth games ran and looked better on Xbox 360.

Banned

it's theoretical peak performance is about twice that of the 360's CPU that's correct.

and yes, the theoretical peak performance actually is also twice that of the PS4's CPU.

but here's the thing, the 360's CPU is also, going straight by numbers, more powerful than the one inside the Xbox One...

not only that the 360's CPU also runs higher clocks and is a different architecture.
this didn't stop them from emulating it, did it?

theoretical GFLOP numbers say very little when you compare a more modern CPU to one that is about 8 years older than it.

the 360's CPU sits at around 130Gflops
the PS3's is at around 230,Gflops

and both the Xbox One and PS4 are below 130Gflops in terms of theoretical peak performance.

what you also have to consider is that not all of the PS3's CPU was used by games... there's a whole core that was not available to developers because it did system stuff in the background. so this theoretical GFlop number if we are going only by the cores used by games is lower than 230
and I also don't know if this 230gflop number is counting the 8th core that is actually deactivated... so it might be even lower still

Last edited:

SmokSmog

it's theoretical peak performance is about twice that of the 360's CPU that's correct.

and yes, the theoretical peak performance actually is also twice that of the PS4's CPU.

but here's the thing, the 360's CPU is also, going straight by numbers, more powerful than the one inside the Xbox One...

not only that the 360's CPU also runs higher clocks and is a different architecture.
this didn't stop them from emulating it, did it?

theoretical GFLOP numbers say very little when you compare a more modern CPU to one that is about 8 years older than it.

the 360's CPU sits at around 130Gflops
the PS3's is at around 230,Gflops

and both the Xbox One and PS4 are below 130Gflops in terms of theoretical peak performance.
Wrong!
The cell was APU !!! Cell has 1 real core, when the Xbox 360 has 3 processor cores, the same core as that in cell apu, called PPE. Why is the cell apu? because the cell has 8 SPU units (more like graphic units) 1 turned off, 1 system only, 6 for games. The cell processor in strictly processor tasks didn't had a chance with an Xbox 360 processor. Athlon 2500+ 1 core processor from 2003 was 3.5–4x faster per clock than the cell's main processor.

Look at this, smaller is better.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
It maybe „stronger“, but in no way superior. If you can’t use the power, then what’s the use of it? Nothing. Moth games ran and looked better on Xbox 360.

And for the 50th time exclusives on ps3 smashed Xbox 360 exclusives graphically so what's your point? Uncharted 2 decimated the competition, killzone 2 looked a gen beyond halo and gears, God of war and so forth. Multiplats devs may have not been able to demystify the cell early on but even towards the end of the gen games were comparable on both but you know what wasnt? Exclusives.

JLB

Banned
And for the 50th time exclusives on ps3 smashed Xbox 360 exclusives graphically so what's your point? Uncharted 2 decimated the competition, killzone 2 looked a gen beyond halo and gears, God of war and so forth. Multiplats devs may have not been able to demystify the cell early on but even towards the end of the gen games were comparable on both but you know what wasnt? Exclusives.

Nah, Halo 4 was probably the best looking game previous generation. And if not, it is by no means "smashed" by any PS3 exclusive.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yea
Nah, Halo 4 was probably the best looking game previous generation. And if not, it is by no means "smashed" by any PS3 exclusive.
Yeah sure it was lol 😂 😂 😂 even those bullshots before release of halo 4 wasnt on uncharted or killzone level. When ppl saw uncharted 2 thy couldnt believe it was a live demo but I'm not going to get into it. DF and len's of truth both knew what times it was clearly based on their statements when those games released. Thy made comments of uncharted games holding graphical benchmarks. Killzone and halo comparisons were also made and halo took tht loss in almost every respect.

Romulus

I disagree now. During that time, I agreed. The only thing that impresses me about ps3 exclusives were the animations, which has almost nothing to do with power. Looking back at the games now, I have no doubt those games would have ran on 360 with Sony devs pushing it. The devs were the problem, sony just had the best by a wide margin.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I heard about it here, but no other information than the date being mentioned in passing, is there a video or link with substantial info on it?
Not really that I found. Just a Feb 29th event. Details are scarce. It's odd to see 2 events so close together.

Not really that I found. Just a Feb 29th event. Details are scarce. It's odd to see 2 events so close together.
I think the rumors for an event on the 5th are bogus, the 29th would be credible for a machine that comes out in October/November, it would work with what Sony did the last time around.

JLB

Banned
Yea
Yeah sure it was lol 😂 😂 😂 even those bullshots before release of halo 4 wasnt on uncharted or killzone level. When ppl saw uncharted 2 thy couldnt believe it was a live demo but I'm not going to get into it. DF and len's of truth both knew what times it was clearly based on their statements when those games released. Thy made comments of uncharted games holding graphical benchmarks. Killzone and halo comparisons were also made and halo took tht loss in almost every respect.

Its so 90s to pretend to be smart appending :messenger_tears_of_joy: to whatever dumb thing someone says. Idk, it should be a generational thing.

spartan30gr

I think its time, to burn this leak.
giphy.gif

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
So Feb 5th is about a week away. Has there been any official messaging? Shouldn't they be doing some pre-hype if the date was true? I wouldn't expect them to just announce it out of the blue.

Author

Neo Member
People still believe what Tidux says? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

He is an attention whore with absolutely 0 insider knowledge, and it's been like this for years.

Last edited:

Elginer

It ain't happening. Time to go back to the board and throw another dart at another date. Sony seems to give zero fucks on when to show off. Honestly, at this point it could be a turd in.a blue box and it will sell. Good in Sony for being coy like a freshman year date.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
They put up that landing page with the secret arg built into it. Doesn't that count for something?

Top Bottom