• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: A Trip Down Memory Lane

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original_zpsc6a8d2a0.gif

Man... I feel bad for the gamers who grew up as the "XBox generation". By the time xbox hit everything was so multi-platform, multi-generational, homogenized..

When it was Sega gamers, and Nintendo gamers, and even Sony gamers, man... you stuck with your platform because it was the ONLY place to get ALL of those games..

XBox had that chance, but MS threw away so much first party development.. their current strategy of first party publishing of non-owned developers is similar.. until/unless those games fail to meet profitability and they end up on PS4 and PC anyway.

1985-2005. When being a fanboy actually meant something!

Microsoft sabotaged any real foundation like Sony has...and it's clear now that Sony is back, always trust in CERNY.

Ctrl+F, type in Jumping Flash, get no matches found.

Ctrl+F, type in Klonoa, get no matches found.

Ctrl+F, type in Vib Ribbon, get no matches found.

Ctrl+F, type in Parappa, get no matches found.

Ctrl+F, type in Bust-a-Groove, get no matches found.

Ctrl+F, type in Bloody Roar, get no matches found.

FUCK THIS THREAD!!!!!

Clicking this thread through Mobile GAF was the biggest mistake of my life. Probably capped my data limit with this one Page. :p Thought this was another ad by Sony so I clicked. :p

Either way, even though I haven't read it I can obviously see the love and passion you put into this thread. Great job Shinobi, I'll read whenever I have free time today.

EDIT: Loading this thread was 500MBs used on my 3GB Data Limit. Haha... Damn.

FUCK THIS THREAD!!!!!

no Tomba, Alundra, and Legend of Dragoon either. :(

Brilliance, almost brought a tear to me eye.

Amazingly I can see myself opening every Playstation box Christmas morning, playing every single new PSX game in the beginning, playing FFVII the first time, playing Destruction Derby the first time, knocking down the Eiffel Tower in Twisted Metal 2 the first time, listening to the music of Suikoden the first time, seeing the first screenshot of Shadow of the Colossus ... etc. etc.

Man the memories go back far. 1995? 18 of my 31 years spent with a Playstation product in my living room / bedroom. Holy shit.

looking at PS2 games list, I really missed Ready to Rumble and Time Splitter. I wish they got a comeback sometime, which publisher got their IP now?

Jibbed

Holy 2004, man that year was insane.

PS2 still remains as my favourite console, but just looking at the PS4 stuff in this thread... it feels like Sony finally gets what made the PS2 so good, and it's capitalised on that wonderfully. PS4 is going to tear shit up.

Edit: Where the fuck is MotorStorm?!

Awesome OP.

I have every Playstation - OG PS1 model 7501, OG PS2 model 39001, OG PS3 60GB model CECHA12, OG PSP model 1001...and I loved each and every one of them.

Gonna have this one and an OG Vita, too!

I remember flipping my PS1 upside down to stop the skipping. I remember multipage memory cards, and Dexdrives.
I remember playing my first DVD in a PS2 - my first DVD player.
I remember watching Spiderman 2 in a bus on my PSP and being amazed.
I remember playing SFIV on an HDTV in 2008 and finally feeling like PS3 was really here.

I remember modchips, swap tricks, Net Yaroze, Playstation Underground. Jampack demo discs, awkward 3rd party controllers I bought in a pinch at comic book shops, stripped PS3 HDD screws, playing PSP on a TV set, and all that. I remember going to Chinatown and learning about imported games. I remember playing X-Men vs. Street Fighter before anyone on my block. I remember the first time I saw the Soul Blade intro and heard that music. I remember catching apes with my Time Net.

The Playstation family of machines have been pretty great, overall...lots of memories.

Beautiful thread Shinobi.

WUL and Thanks.

The hype I had for that Playstation 2 launch was huge. Insane. Feeling much the same way about the PS4.

woodypop

FUCK THIS THREAD!!!!!

no Tomba, Alundra, and Legend of Dragoon either. :(

No Catherine in the 2011 list?

What's wrong with you son?
Rather than just say, "omg, where's game XXX?!!1!", maybe you could actually add to the thread and post some pics and info on those games.

Pbae

Man, good times.

I recently found out that my old PS1 is still being used by my dad...for audio! He has it hooked up to his Bower and Wilkins speakers and says the sound is lovely.

bjork

FUCK THIS THREAD!!!!!

Yeah, no Intelligent Qube! Come on son!

This thread makes me feel super old, ha.

Nymphae

Banned

FUCK THIS THREAD!!!!!

Bust a Groove? Really?

Logash

I just bought a PSX with FF7 and Chrono Cross for $80. Seems like a lot but the shipping was $20 of that along with me paying $30 for FF7 because it is the complete version with the manual and a case that is near perfect.

DBT85

Great topic dude. Great work.

Just over a month for me in the UK. Cannot wait!

This thread and that #4ThePlayers since 1995 commercial go hand in hand.

Ashadur

Neo Member
My Playstation memory.
ugv1.jpg

Played Ps1 for years upside down to stop the laser skipping.

My memory was hammering down my hand on-top of the phat PS2, to make it read discs, the pain i would feel for that few minutes would disappear as the game would finally work. I was so glad when we finally got the slim PS2 as i would be spared of the pain.

Taker34

Banned
Shinobi? More like Sonoby... Shinsony... Shinsony.. Sonynobi... crap. You know what I mean!

Love this topic, so much nostalgia... Sony is my Nintendo.

1upmuffin

OP could use more Soul Blade but otherwise awesome thread. PS2 was my first Sony console but I got some PS1 games from my cousins and I played those a lot, like Tetris Plus and Rayman.

Top Bottom