• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: A Trip Down Memory Lane

Sorry for missing some games guys. I tried to fit in as much as I could of the most relevant. Any omission doesn't reflect some lack of quality of any games that aren't there :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
My Playstation memory.
ugv1.jpg

Played Ps1 for years upside down to stop the laser skipping.

meh, I returned my launch unit for a pink baggie unit within like a month and a half (by like early november at the latest). THAT unit lasted me for the rest of the gen.

but yeah, the launch blue baggie units were fucking frustrating.

Shinobi, I just wanted to congratulate you for all the work you've put into this thread. A nostalgic trip to the past and a bright new future for the Playstation franchise. HYPED!!!

boinx

PS1-PS2 were my favorite generations. So many great games and memories. Hopefully the PS4 can replicate some of that.

The PS2 was just nuts. So many amazing games.

I'd also add Tekken 3 to the OP, it was the one where Tekken's gameplay completed its maturation and it's probably my most played PSX game. Further Tekkens have only been marginal improvements, mostly graphical, but the gameplay leap from 2 (already a great game) to 3 is insane.

ferr

Lovely thread. Needs more Matsuno.

Also looks like you have a picture of FF12 lined up with FFX-2 in the links for 2003.

Zeth

No mention of Wipeout until Wipeout 3 :(

The original was one of my most memorable experiences. That first person camera was like using a Rift for the first time to my 1995 self.

KaiserBecks

I49oGZL.gif

Kudos to you, sir. I'm trapped in so many feels watching those PS1 videos that I'm almost ashamed I never cared about the PS3.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Glad to see some real oldies in there. Old timey Lara!

Also, I would love to see some gifs where all the machines morph from their release version through to their slim versions.

Haha! Oh, yessss....

lol I remember putting it Vertical first, which helped it along for 6-7 months and then had to resort to the upside down method after that.

It was the running joke about the PS2 when people saw it vertical that it was an homage to these system having to stand vertical to keep working. Love those days.

man, such a trip down nostalgia lane. I remember playing FF7 for the first time and thinking the whole game was about blowing up mako reactors. 2-3 hours later my mind was blown when you get to the overworld for the first time.

This was awesome!
Three more weeks.
21 more days.

If I had more photoshopping skills, I'd change the Wii logo to the PS4... but this is basically me right now:
cartman-waits-for-wii-o.gif

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread. Damn I want to relive 1997-1998 again. Such amazing years for gaming and for me personally as well. But I guess I'll just have to settle with this PS4 thing! =)

potam

Banned
No mention of the greatest PSX racer? :(

Jet_Moto_Coverart.png

I wonder if Mountain Dew would advertise in it nowadays.

And, it would be so amazing to see a PS4 Jumping Flash.

Jibbed

No mention of the greatest PSX racer? :(

Jet_Moto_Coverart.png

And, it would be so amazing to see a PS4 Jumping Flash.

Fuck, nostalgia on that!

JetMoto is one of those games that I absolutely loved and played the shit out of when I was like 7, but completely forgot about a few years later.

Fuck, nostalgia on that!

JetMoto is one of those games that I absolutely loved and played the shit out of when I was like 7, but completely forgot about a few years later.

Jet Moto 2 had some insane level designs that were brilliant and brutal. Especially the iceberg's level where your jumping from one broken iceberg to another.

Fantastic games, until 989 took over and killed it with 3/4. Just like they killed TM with 3/4.

I was a massive fan of Tobal #1, thought it was a brilliant fighting game with that awesome quest mode too. Was depressed as hell when Tobal 2 ended up not releasing here in the US.

Gjerven

Grew up with an Atari 7800 with two games (Asteroids and Pac-Man) and an NES with Super Mario Bros. Both probably bought before I was born to my sister.

Didn't care about the consoles nor the games. I wasn't a gamer at all.

All changed the summer of 1998 when I was 10. I was at my cousins house for a day and he showed me Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit. It was so good it blew my mind, I had no idea that gaming could be this great.

I can still remember glimpses of when I went to store with my father to buy a Playstation. But something I will never forget is that the store didn't have NFS III, but had Ridge Racer Revolution. From having my mind blown away from NFS III, my mind was now blown by how bad RRR was :|

Eventually my gaming collection grew (with both good and bad games), and I fell in love with gaming. That's how I became a gamer. Thank you Sony.

JordanN

Banned
Around 2000, my dad went to the store and was suppose to get me and my brother a N64.

They were sold out. Instead, he saw the Playstation and got us that along with a copy of Wipeout 3. My life would soon change forever after that. I still have my first Playstation.

Sucks I'm going to miss out on the PS4 launch.

daveo42

Banned
For fuck's sake only on page 3 a few hours later? GAF be slipping.

OP is a masterpiece.

Everyone is still working through the glorious thread that OP put together. A lot of awesome in those posts to dig through and get those nostalgia feels.

The OP itself specifically goes out of it's way to not mix PSX with the PS1 and people in the thread still keep calling it by the wrong name.

Come on people get it together.

sinxtanx

The twelve-year old in my heart is such a Sony fanboy. Great thread!

btw

31BLxvc.jpg

I had a MILLION of these things

I actually think I've spent more time playing PS1 demos than full PS1 games

Here's to demo discs
Your era was short but sweet

Cess007

Pretty awesome thread Shinobi!

It's a shame i never had a PS1 back then; when i was a kid, i was only allowed 1 gaming console, and i'd N64 already (which i loved anyway); first time playing anything PS related was when i went into a gaming shop in a Mall in Yuma, Arizona and played Dinasty Warriors in a PS2 demo unit. Man, i wanted one so much right there, but neither i or my parents couldn't afford.

I remember saving money for like a year along with my brother (and selling our NGC); and in a trip to San Diego, we bought a PS3 with Gran Turismo 3. Man, the hours and hours i had with the PS2 :')

Top Bottom