• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: A Trip Down Memory Lane

Wynnebeck

Banned
Disgusting. We have all of these threads shitting on the Xbox One and Shinobi gets away with this knob-gobbling? Guess we know who the Sony shill is.

21 DAYS LEFT OMGGGGG

Top 10 all-time favorite PS1 games that aren't FFVII, Crash Bandicoot, MGS or Gran Turismo:

- Jet Moto
- Ape Escape
- Bloody Roar 2
- Breath of Fire 4
- Grandia
- Legend of Dragoon
- Twisted Metal 2
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
- Tekken 3
- Ridge Racer Type 4

Honorable mention goes to Tenchu, Chrono Cross, R-Type Delta, Omega Boost, and Battle Arena Toshinden (because that game is the first game I saw).

Amazing work, a real trip down memory lane...

....but why no 2014 for the PS3?
Old faithful still has some great looking up and coming games.
Lightning Returns, Dark Souls II, Castlevania 2, Kingdom Hearts 2.5, Tales of XIllia 2
not to mention some interesting cross gen gems like Evil Within, Watch Dogs and Destiny.
I know you touched on them, but we should look to the future with open arms and say goodbye with respect.

Iacobellis

ibbieSGDBO9of5.gif

Every bad post and thread is forgiven. This is epic memories :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:DD:D::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
Edit: faforite games per console
PS: Tekken 3, GT1 and 2, FF7 8 9, silent bomber, spyro, crash1 2 3 + ctr, thps1 2, demo cd:s (Good gen)
PS2:rrV, SSX1 2 3, GT3 4, Tekken5, DoA2HC, onimusha2 3, KZ, TS2 3, FF10 12, R&c, J&D, Ico, SotC,etc (great gen)
PS3: Uncharted1 2, GT5AE, BF:BC2, Heavy rain, (less good gen)
PS. these are just from top of my head.

Amazing work, a real trip down memory lane...

....but why no 2014 for the PS3?
Old faithful still has some great looking up and coming games.
Lightning Returns, Dark Souls II, Castlevania 2, Kingdom Hearts 2.5, Tales of XIllia 2
not to mention some interesting cross gen gems like Evil Within, Watch Dogs and Destiny.
I know you touched on them, but we should look to the future with open arms and say goodbye with respect.
For the PS1, PS2 and PS3 I focused each year on the games that had released already. I didn't want to make a future year 2014 for the PS3 since we haven't played the games yet, so I just wanted to touch upon them at the end.

It's different for the PS4 since it's not out yet and that section was really just looking into what's coming next gen. Full respect for the PS3 :)

GoDLiKe

The console started gaining considerable steam from this year and onward. Mega hits like Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and GTA III landed exclusively on the system that year. This would be the beginning of the solidification of the PS2 as the king of the generation. Other notable titles included: Onimusha, Zone of the Enders, Red Faction, Twisted Metal: Black, Gran Turismo 3, Ico, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, Soul Reaver 2, SSX Tricky, Jak & Daxter, Max Payne, and Final Fantasy X.

All these games in the same year and for the same console. Really, this is the f*cking king.

Awesome thread, congrats OP!

Sweet work. Read through the entire thing. More than once I had to go "wait.... that was the PS?" where ? stands for a console. I completely forgot that oblivion came out, comparatively, not that long ago. And that RE4 was on the ps2.

fantastic work newman, i mean shinobi :D , very well done and loved checking out the vids, haha but cool at the PS rave in the PS2 launch vid

i always thought Resident Evil was a launch title with PS1, was wrong but hmmmmmm that launch was struggling, only Rayman, ridge racer and jumping flash were good.

Empty

great thread. thanks for putting this together

1999 on ps1, 2001 on ps2 and 2009 on ps3 were incredible. so excited to see what we get for ps4.

I can't believe I owned all the released PlayStations consoles. I got Playstation is spring of '98, PS2 in spring of 2001 and I was late to the PS3 - got it June of this year.

PS2 was the one I paid the most for(Canadian dollar value at the time). 2001 the most money I ever spend on games in a single year. Damn!

Amir0x

Banned
Wonderful OP, shinobi. I did have some good times on PS platforms over the years... glad to see they seem to have landed on their feet with PS4 too

And I just thought I couldn't get even more hyped for the PS4 than I already was. Man, thanks OP. I loved my PS1, PS2, and my PS3 so much.
I plan on picking up Assassin's Creed IV, Call of Duty: Ghosts and maybe Knack. The PS4 will be a beast.
edit: I plan on picking these up at their launch dates: Watch Dogs, Metal Gear Solid V, the next Naughty Dog game, The Division, Child of Light, Destiny, InFamous Second Son, Mighty No. 9, Valiant Hearts and whatever Criterion Games is making next. : )
Please make a nextgen Burnout Paradise 2 after your new game!!!

sn00zer

Check my tag for my memories.....my sister recently asked my dad for an X360 for her b-day...my dad's response was "Why? We are a Playstation family" (he did get her a 360)
2xPS1, 1xPSOne, PS2, family now owns a PS3, and I got my Vita, bring on PS4

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Needs more IQ, Brave Fencer, Jade Cocoon Tale Concerto, AND MORE.

Look at that cut down PS4 list reminds me of that large games advantage it enjoys vs Xbone.

That was a fun trip down memory lane.

I migrated to PC for some time after SNES/Genesis with the great CD-ROM revolution. I knew Sony was entering the fray and watched the comercials, etc. But i wasn't sold on them. There were too many Jaguars, 3DOs, etc for me to take another large manufacturer like Sony could be a true maker of a game console. And then I remember walking past the magazine rack at the grocery store and saw FF7 on the cover of EGM. At that moment I said "welp i'm buying a Playstation"

I bought the console a couple months prior to FF7 launched. I remember getting Wild Arms for it. I can't really remember the timing of the other games, but FF7, RE2, Colony Wars, Ridge Racer, Suikoden were all early PSOne game memories. And i've been a Sony Console owner ever since.

I've owned almost all the consoles, but Sony's strong outing of PSOne has always left a soft spot towards their consoles. The push of tech, the creativity that eventually emerged in their first party lineups. They'd discard licenses/franchises and move to others, or give games chances that others would pass on.

lunlunqq

taking care of my baby every night, just had a long day at a training workshop and now I really need some sleep; but I entered this thread and I cannot fell asleep anymore... Kudos to the OP.

HORRORSHØW

Check my tag for my memories.....my sister recently asked my dad for an X360 for her b-day...my dad's response was "Why? We are a Playstation family" (he did get her a 360)
2xPS1, 1xPSOne, PS2, family now owns a PS3, and I got my Vita, bring on PS4
That was beautiful Sn00zer.

Incredible thread!!!

People might think i am crazy but i enjoyed syphon filter way more than metal gear.

Yes i just said that.

The PS upside down was the only way it would work. Ha Ha

Top Bottom