• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

What's with this cat-thing? Wasn't it just in TXSF or SFXT (Whatever) Why does it need to be in another fighting game so fast?
Meh, Jak was a shoe-in anyway. Wish they'd get to the real surprises and stop beating around the bush.

Cole was in that too, and there's no doubt he's in this as well. At least this time around, Toro will have a drastically different moveset because he won't be like a little Ryu.

He's basically Playstation's mascot in Japan, so it's no surprise he's in.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
What's with this cat-thing? Wasn't it just in TXSF or SFXT (Whatever) Why does it need to be in another fighting game so fast?
Meh, Jak was a shoe-in anyway. Wish they'd get to the real surprises and stop beating around the bush.

Toro, Sony's Japanese mascot.

Including him is good because it'd be a shame if the roster was entirely catered to a Western audience. The game should have international appeal.

I-hate-u

The way I see Toro in this game is that he has changeable outfits that akin to playstation characters, but thats Sackboy's thing. And if he is in it and Sackboy isn't, I'll be pissed.

Toro, Sony's Japanese mascot.

Including him is good because it'd be a shame if the roster was entirely catered to a Western audience. The game should have international appeal.

Kazama Kiryu is a better character for international appeal imo

Endo Punk

I have a really bad feeling Jennifer Tate, Spike/Spector and Sir Daniel wont make it :(

And a new game mode really needs to be announced already as well as story details.

Endo Punk

The way I see Toro in this game is that he has changeable outfits that akin to playstation characters, but thats Sackboy's thing. And if he is in it and Sackboy isn't, I'll be pissed.

There will be hell to pay if Kazuma is not in there.

Takao

Banned
Toro's actually been on every PlayStation Device:

PlayStation
PocketStation
PlayStation 2
PlayStation Portable
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Vita

Dude deserves to be in here as no other character in the roster can say that.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Why choose one over the other? The more variety, the better :D

Still rooting for him, Kat, and Jeanne d'Arc. Oh, and Sir Daniel. I do believe none of these will happen, though.

HELL YEAH, to all of the above. Keep hope alive!

SSReborn

I have a really bad feeling Jennifer Tate, Spike/Spector and Sir Daniel wont make it :(

And a new game mode really needs to be announced already as well as story details.

I think for sure Sir Daniel Fortesque will make it and I think Spike has a good chance as well. Im not so sure about Jen however; how popular was Primal when it released anyway?

Sackboy has enough items such as grapple hook, paintenator etc to come up with a move list so i dont think he needs to really be a clone character

SmithnCo

Sackboy should be a lock. I heard Paul Gale mentioned Sackboy, but I can't find a source. Ether way, he's gotta be in.

Whether or not he has a clone move is a different story. I don't think he will, because he never did that in LBP. Toro has sometimes emulated other characters though, like sneaking around in a cardboard box like Snake. I wonder if he will have referential moves like that.

Drencrom

Sackboy has enough items such as grapple hook, paintenator etc to come up with a move list so i dont think he needs to really be a clone character

Yeah Sackboy can be a interesting character without the cloning ability but it's a missed opportunity in not having him/she/it dressed as the other contenders.

Endo Punk

I think for sure Sir Daniel Fortesque will make it and I think Spike has a good chance as well. Im not so sure about Jen however; how popular was Primal when it released anyway?

Moderately popular and reviewed pretty well. Sony recently put the game as a PS2 classics on PSN in NA. They do remember the IP so Im hoping they use the character because shes really unique with her looks and abilities.

Man

Toro's actually been on every PlayStation Device:

PlayStation
PocketStation
PlayStation 2
PlayStation Portable
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Vita

Dude deserves to be in here as no other character in the roster can say that.
Respect.

How is it sackboy's thing? If Sackboy isn't changing outfits, they can give him a whole moveset based on building and destroying the world

KalBalboa

Banned
If Big Daddy and the little sister are together than Jak and Daxter will be.

Yeah, those are my thoughts exactly. If Jak loses a fight I imagine we'll see Daxter attempting to wake him up akin to the death animations in the PS2 games.

Damn, I was hoping to see some Snake at EVO.

I'm waiting on this too only for the fact that it's such a given. I want to get the guaranteed characters out of the way asap.

Sackboy should be a lock. I heard Paul Gale mentioned Sackboy, but I can't find a source. Ether way, he's gotta be in.

Whether or not he has a clone move is a different story. I don't think he will, because he never did that in LBP. Toro has sometimes emulated other characters though, like sneaking around in a cardboard box like Snake. I wonder if he will have referential moves like that.[/]

Like Snake, Sackboy is one of those characters that simply need to be there. He's Sony's biggest worldwide mascot this generation next to Nathan. I wonder who Sackboy will be announced alongside, considering we've seen a steady stream of paired combatants being announced.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I think we should list all the characters that appear on the "For Michael" advertisement. All those characters are pretty much guaranteed.

Jak was a given but... I completely forgot about Toro. I also forgot he was in SFxT. Is that a bad thing? I guess as others have stated, his inclusion in SFxT was pretty laughable from what I was told (never played it) so if this is true, I hope he's a solid build and not a joke character.

So far, Superbot has been very thoughtful of each character's moveset and overall style so I have faith in them to make each character a solid choice, and not a joke or clone.

I think the inclusion of Toro is awesome, they need to make sure he's super goofy but also fun and balanced as a fighter. Also, as others have said, Jak and Daxter are most certainly a combined fighter, it doesn't make sense to have them separately as they're trying to squeeze in as many iconic characters as possible.

One last thing - think about how hilariously awesome it would be if they do unveil Toro at EVO, and prove that he can be a solid fighter? They need to have Daxter be as vocal as possible during attacks, to make them really stand out.

In regards to the overall roster - I've been hoping Superbot avoids characters from other fighters like the plague... I dunno, it just seems weird to me to have people like Ryu from SF or Paul from TK. I think one of the things that made SSB so unique was how they translated all those non-fighting game characters into solid fighting game representatives. It would just feel like a cop out to me, like copy+pasta, or whatever. So far we've got a pretty great roster, here's hoping they still focus on Sony exclusives first and third party stuff second.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the article, I pulled out the unnecessary stuff.

Cool, thanks.

I think its very telling that Daxter is still nowhere to be seen, but with both him and clank you gotta worry a little bit about size differences (time for a smash bros ridley-esque never ending debate?)

KevinCow

Banned
Except for Ratchet and Snake I agree

Hopefully Jak isn't shooty. Give him his J&D1 moveset

But he had everything from his Jak 1 moveset in the sequels. And I don't think that alone is really enough to fill out an entire move set.

I expect something like:

[] - Basic punches and kicks
/\ - Spin kick, dash punch, ground pound, and uppercut
O - Guns

And Dark Bomb has to be one of his supers.

ascii42

But he had everything from his Jak 1 moveset in the sequels. And I don't think that alone is really enough to fill out an entire move set.

I expect something like:

O - Guns

Light Jak powers would be cool too. The time freeze thing would be great as a super: freeze time and then go around beat the crap out your opponents.

http://www.pixelitis.net/news/rumor-psone-classics-begin-rolling-vita-end-month

Interesting, this article mentions both Nariko (a given) and some Mortal Kombat characters will make an appearance. I would assume Scorpion would be playable and other characters would be cameos in stages and such. I'm indifferent to Nariko but I would LOVE it if Scorpion or Sub Zero were in.

Ed Boon actually tweeted this way back before the game was announced:
Maybe Scorpion should be a guest character in Sony's fighting game? ;)

But maybe it was only be a joke. Perhaps we will see next week at EVO.

BHZ Mayor

I expect something like:

O - Guns

Jak without the "Wastelander move" would be a crime.

KevinCow

Banned
Kick/Punch + Shoot combo. Jak rapid fires his weapon after a kick or punch. They teach you that in Jak 2.

Oh. Never heard it called the wastelander move before.

But yeah, that's such a big part of combat in Jak 2 and 3, it would be cool if they incorporated it into his moves. Press O after a dash punch connects to follow up with some blasts, or press O during a spin kick to fire a bunch of blasts in random directions.

http://www.pixelitis.net/news/rumor-psone-classics-begin-rolling-vita-end-month

Interesting, this article mentions both Nariko (a given) and some Mortal Kombat characters will make an appearance. I would assume Scorpion would be playable and other characters would be cameos in stages and such. I'm indifferent to Nariko but I would LOVE it if Scorpion or Sub Zero were in.

Going back to my previous post.. I just feel like having other fighting game characters in this game is simply dumb. That's just my opinion, but I feel like it's more of a copy+pasta in that sense as compared to developing a completely non-fighting game character into a solid, unique build in All-Stars.

I'd love to see Nariko in game, she could be similar or even an anti-Kratos in that she has those blades that are interchangable. I remember how much I loved her fighting style.

Oh hey, fighting game character not closely tied to PlayStation. Fantastic.

This is what has me worried too. I'm worried Superbot and Sony are just using All-Stars as a cross platform promotion machine for current gen third party games, like Bioshock Infinite and the inevitable next installment of Mortal Kombat, and so on. I'm all for cross promotion, when it makes sense, not when it cheapens the game's message.

The game's main purpose is of course celebrating Playstation and characters exclusive and famous for starting on Playstation - that's what the focus of the roster should be first and foremost. That's what Nintendo did and that's what made SSB so successful, how many NINTENDO characters were represented in the roster.

All they need to do is focus on PLAYSTATION characters and franchises, and when they feel satisfied that there's enough, say 20 ish, then they can focus on third party characters. I just don't want to see a core roster made up of any more than a FEW third party characters, it'll just make the overall experience and product that much harder to sell in comparison to SSB.

At this rate we'll probably see either Aveline or whatever the guy's name is from AC III in the game. Aveline MIGHT be ok since that game will (hopefully) stay exclusive to Vita, but the franchise is still current-gen and mostly multiplatform anyway, so therefore it loses it's connectivity to Playstation overall. See what I mean now?

Compare that to say Solid Snake, who got REALLY famous and successful in MGS1. I'd be all for him being in All-Stars, and as others have said - why not old Snake, just to differentiate him from his young version in SSB.

BHZ Mayor

Oh. Never heard it called the wastelander move before.

But yeah, that's such a big part of combat in Jak 2 and 3, it would be cool if they incorporated it into his moves. Press O after a dash punch connects to follow up with some blasts, or press O during a spin kick to fire a bunch of blasts in random directions.

The first time you do it after being taught, Sig says something like, "Yeah! Now that's a wastelander move!"

KalBalboa

Banned
Oh hey, fighting game character not closely tied to PlayStation. Fantastic.

tumblr_m1vpi30gkd1r5jlcpo1_500.gif

Considering the only third party character we've seen confirmed is Big Daddy, I don't think we've gone overboard yet with third party character yet. We wont really know the ratio of first party versus "truly PlayStation" third party (Cloud, Solid Snake) versus super-popular and on PlayStation (Big Daddy) until all is said and done.

With that all said, if Scorpion is there? I wouldn't mind one bit. He's a huge mascot and my buddies and I played many-a-night of Mortal Kombat last year together on my PS3.

Mr. Fix

Compare that to say Solid Snake, who got REALLY famous and successful in MGS1. I'd be all for him being in All-Stars, and as others have said - why not old Snake, just to differentiate him from his young version in SSB.

Hell yes. MGS4 is a huge rep for the PS3. I wonder how he'd play in this one. I love playing as Snake in SSB, but throwing in the same Snake would be stale.

Endo Punk

Hell yes. MGS4 is a huge rep for the PS3. I wonder how he'd play in this one. I love playing as Snake in SSB, but throwing in the same Snake would be stale.
I much rather prefer Ninja Raiden. Using Snake again and again is boring. There are plenty of MGS characters that are just as good. And from a fighting stand point Raiden will bring more variery to the roster.

Mr. Fix

I much rather prefer Ninja Raiden. Using Snake again and again is boring. There are plenty of MGS characters that are just as good. And from a fighting stand point Raiden will bring more variery to the roster.

It depends. If they also give Snake an arsenal amount of gear (though different items) like in SSB, then that would still make Snake unique in this game.

Personally, I would love Scorpion in the mix here. He's so different from all the other characters so far I think he would make the roster even more diverse. Plus I think he would be a blast to play with.
Now if there could just be a Sora "leak" to really get my hopes up...haha

I have no problem with the multiplat mascots, there are some brands that Sony just definitely seems to want to attach themselves to and they work with the publishers in getting exclusive content and even games. Bioshock and Assassin's Creed are the two immediate ones that come to mind, having exclusive content and both having exclusive entries coming to Vita. I have no doubt we'll see one of the AC protags as a combatant

With other franchises, SF x Tekken comes to mind too because of the content in that

I actually think getting these Western characters from third parties would be a lot easier too. My hopes for FF characters are a bit half hearted. But then I realise we actually did get FF content in LBP so maybe it can happen

I think the game definitely needs Snake though. Snake is Playstation through and through, he never should have been in Smash Bros anyway

For some reason seeing Jak in this has gotten me super hyped. Definitely one of my favourite Playstation characters. I hope he retains his slightly uncoordinated rolling and jumping moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom