• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also have the most new IPs this generation and managed to deliver the most robust first party lineup year after year.

Uncharted, Little Big Planet, and Infamous alone were all brand new IP this gen that made me really happy to be gaming this gen. I can't wait to play another God of War, not to mention The Last of Us.

Most definitely. But for every original title, there's a LBP Karting.

MisterHero

I know I have a bit of a bias but I want to say this for the game's benefit.

With TMNT Smash-Up, I've played a Smash Bros.-esque game that did not have Nintendo input. It was terrible, generic, and was really hashed together.

If Sony is going to do this, they should at least get it right. Good luck to them, maybe in 20-some years we'll have a Nintendo-Playstation VS.

Yo Gotti

Banned
How on Earth can you say this isn't done at least as well as SSB?

The game isn't even out yet. You haven't played it.

The game reeks of a grab for dollars. A rip-off of a successful formula. Sony is absolutely pathetic for putting this game together. It's no wonder their entire company is in such bad shape when the people in charge are making decisions like this.

Just curious. What do you think would have been better to do with their roster?

ANYTHING. Any-fucking-thing would have been better than just copying SSB. Many have tried before and failed miserably. I'm not saying this game will suck like the others, but seriously? This is the best they could do? It's just shameless.

Sony could have done this years ago if they wanted to outright copy Nintendo for the sake of capturing similar success. My guess is that when prepping the "to Michael" ad, someone thought it'd be neat to do.

Quit bitching. It's meant to be fun.

It's unbelievable just how mad they seem to be, isn't it? Nintendo fans are most likely angry because while, yeah, this is clearly modeled after SSB (which, on a conceptual level is simply "Bare-bones fighting engine with mascots"), PlayStation managed to copy Nintendo while putting out droves and droves of other top-notch games. Sony's first party support is amazing this generation.

This makes no sense. At all.

I don't remember so much anger when Clover made Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble

I don't remember Red Hot Rumble being a mascot brawler by a direct competitor either.

Let's not act like those two situations are comparable at all.

Did people forget about early builds and graphics being vastly improved near the end of the game development? Not liking the art style is one thing, but don't shit on the game graphics when it's still has months in development and you don't know what build the footage is taken from.

On what should people judge the game then?

PaRappa looks really weird in those screen shots.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I don't see why anyone would be upset about this game. If anything, the competition will provide us with a better Smash Bros. Wii U.

I wonder if we'll get Blasto (RIP Phil Hartman)

3rd party characters give me hope for Crash and Spyro, hopefully with their classic designs.

or maybe mascot Crash for funsies

HNnHt.jpg

Meier

Surprised this isn't in the OP yet: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/see-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-in-action/

The visuals are a mixed bag... I really feel like the outlines around the characters was a huge misstep. It looks terrible. Backgrounds are nice although they feel a bit barren outside of the token animated character in the middle. I'd rate them overall about 6.5/10.

Gameplay looks solid although I figured the SSB rip-off comments were a bit overstated until I watched the video. Wow, talk about an understatement. The floatiness (if you will) of the characters is uncanny.. this is essentially a Zynga or Gameloft level of rip-off.

If you don't have access to SSB, this seems like it will be a fun option... I really can't see the appeal to anyone other than that though. Seems like a pretty good effort for a studio's first release but I know I'll be passing personally (I didn't buy SSBB either for what it's worth as I find the core gameplay to be unappealing).

Audioboxer

The game reeks of a grab for dollars. A rip-off of a successful formula. Sony is absolutely pathetic for putting this game together. It's no wonder their entire company is in such bad shape when the people in charge are making decisions like this.

ANYTHING. Any-fucking-thing would have been better than just copying SSB. Many have tried before and failed miserably. I'm not saying this game will suck like the others, but seriously? This is the best they could do? It's just shameless.

As opposed to all the games that reek of 'giving to the poor'?

Successful formulas are used for a reason, they're a good starting ground. Why would developers start jumping off from unsuccessful formulas? We're tens of years into gaming, much of what we have today has come about from using successful formulas, and either tweaking, imitating, copying or modifying along the way.

To try and equate difficulties within the company to the announcement of this title is mind boggling.

ViolentP

eh, not a good example IMO. It's a brand new franchise from a completely different team and brand. Sequels/prequels are part of the same thing. This is not.

When the end result is me sitting in front of a couch entertaining myself, what does publisher have anything to do with it? Have you seen the old Keaton Batman moves as well as the Bale versions? If you have, what does one have to do with the other in regards to how much you enjoyed yourself?

Truth is i think the game needs some more color , looks wash out .
I really looking forward to seeing drake and what 3rd parties guys they going to have.
Also looking forward to the stages to see what worlds they going to mix .

Derrick01

Banned
Did people forget about early builds and graphics being vastly improved near the end of the game development? Not liking the art style is one thing, but don't shit on the game graphics when it's still has months in development and you don't know what build the footage is taken from.

I can only react to what they show and what they think is good footage to show off their game.

snack

There are no percentage bars when attacking. Instead, attacking fills up your "Super" meter (blue bar at the bottom). It has 3 levels, each level is its' own special attack and the higher the level, the stronger the "Super" attack.

The point of the game is to fill up the meter and use a Super attack on your enemies (Super attack 1, 2 or 3). THAT is how you kill people.

I prefer percentages myself.

Sony could have done this years ago if they wanted to outright copy Nintendo for the sake of capturing similar success. My guess is that when prepping the "to Michael" ad, someone thought it'd be neat to do.

Quit bitching. It's meant to be fun.

This game has been in development much longer than that. Back when the "Michael" commercial came out, someone was saying that it was a hint to more than just an ad campaign.

Also, sorry but Brawl isn't that huge of a seller to make someone else decide to do a lazy cash-in. You do lazy cash-ins if you're Activision and your competitor's product is selling tens of millions of copies. Smash Bros. is an amazing game and it's clear Sony is producing this for fans of PlayStation and fun fighting games in the vein of Smash. And if they want to make a good product there's no reason they shouldn't look to something that has succeeded at perfecting this kind of gameplay.

Chavelo

So here's a thought....

Cole is in Street Fighter X Tekken...

Sony gives money to Capcom to keep the character DLC locked in until the Vita version releases...

Simple.

Megaman or Ryu will be in this game.

Permaban bet this bitch. LET'S GO

Infinite

But then it would be like the dozen traditional fighters this gen? I don't understand this perspective; it's okay for it to be unoriginal and copy Street Fighter or MvC, but not okay for it to copy SSB and still be pretty unique compared to the wealth of other fighting games....
You are miss representing my argument. I'm saying I don't want to play this (so far) because it looks like it plays like something I don't want to play. Never mentioned anything about who's copying who.

KalBalboa

Banned
The game reeks of a grab for dollars. A rip-off of a successful formula.

You haven't played it. You have no objective way of claiming it isn't as good as SSB or that it doesn't play as well.

The PlayStation brand deserves its big mascot cross-over. Little Big Planet already gave us the ability to play as a lot of the old mascots together, and that game was 100% original and remarkably innovative, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to relive my 90's nostalgia with Parappa and Sweet Tooth.

Yes, the base formula is SSB, but you guys need to calm down.

I love smash brothers. I don't mind clones so long as they are fun to play. I will definitely get sony smash brothers since it looks like its very well done. I'm sure my family will get over 100 hours out of this one like we got out of brawl and melee

darkwing

added more info

Character Moves
"Every character has approximately two dozen attacks in their arsenal, and they vary wildly".
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...04/27/ps-all-stars-battle-royale-preview.aspx

Single Player
The best news of all, though, is that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is primed with options. The game can be played locally or online with up to four players, which will no doubt be the meat of the experience for many players. But a single-player, campaign has also been promised, one that will satisfy solo gamers while supplementing everyone else's experience. It's not only about online or only about single-player, but rather a combination of both. In other words: the best of both worlds.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Game Modes
The game features a number of cool game modes for both single and multiplayer, with a focus on online play which features a robust tournament mode. Players will be able to compete against each other as well as play cooperatively. We can’t wait for you all to try it for yourself.

Until then, please stay tuned; there are plenty more features, characters, and levels we want to show. And you definitely don’t want to miss what we’ve got in store for E3!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/26/see-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-in-action/

2 game modes revealed and played so far which are shown in the videos now
One mode where there is a set amount of lives that the player has, and will be out of the match if he runs out of it, another is a time based mode where the winner is the one who has dealt the most amount of KOs but there is no KO counter shown on the screen
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-interview-playstation-all-stars/729624?

Additional Character info from IGN
Parappa the Rapper has strength at close range, where he can use his Chop Chop Master Onion-learned kung-fu stylings on his opponents.
Colonel Radec on the other hand, is almost entirely ineffective unless at a distance, relying on a plethora of Helghan firearms and pieces of technology from afar.
Sweet Tooth's considerable strength complements his brutal fighting style
Kratos' skill with his arsenal of weapons is obvious.
Sly Cooper's agility shines through almost immediately, and he has a special skill that no other character has. He forfeits his ability to block -- something every other character can do -- instead going invisible when the L1 button is held down. This allows him to sneakily slink around and get the jump on other characters.
Fat Princess, on the other hand, relies on her deceptive, innocent look to get in close and cause the brunt of her damage. She can even summon forth minions such as the sword-wielding warrior or the fire-throwing wizard from her self-titled game to briefly supplement her attacks.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Game Items
the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

Drop item through the R1 button

Items like rocket launchers and the Spear of Destiny from God of War will occasionally drop onto the battlefield, and they can be used to reduce the super meter of opponents. AP orbs can be granted by certain moves, such as Parappa's Boxy Boy boombox ability.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729632?

Combos
Special emphasis on combos....
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-playstation-all-stars/729632?

Interactive Stages
One stage, Dreamscape, looks like it came straight out of LittleBigPlanet, complete with stage creation pop-up menus in the background, randomly selecting platform pieces for you and your opponents to overcome. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the screens in the back of the stage become a backdrop for a Buzz! quiz show, with Buzz coming out to ask random trivia questions. In one fight we were asked, "Which Sony handheld was released in 2011." The text from the four multiple choice answers fly over each fighter, and it seems you're supposed to attack the correct answer. It's strange, but it works, and makes for some really wacky fights.

The other three stages we saw were just as fun. The Hades stage starts out looking just like God of War, but the background transitions to feature scenes and characters from Patapon, cute cheering and song included.

Another stage called Metropolis is straight out of Ratchet and Clank at first, with its moving platforms and conveyer belts, but then rain starts to pour, and a huge hydra pops up from the back to attack fighters.

My favorite stage mixes a Jak and Daxter village with Hot Shots Golf. From nowhere, with no notice, Hot Shots characters begin using the play field as a driving range, with ultra-hot golf balls raining down on you and your opponents like missiles.

Dreamscape feels different than the other stages, as it's set in the level editor of LittleBigPlanet. You see Pop-It bubbles and creation elements spring up throughout the fight, which creates different platforms to battle on. Keeping with the hybrid stage theme, it eventually turns into an impromptu game of Buzz! Quiz. A Playstation-related question appears on the screen, and the fighters have to stand on the platform that corresponds with the correct answer to avoid taking damage.

Character Glow
Visual indicator for Supers being ready

Super Attacks
Each character 3 different super attack levels, each progressively takes longer to gain but becomes stronger, for example Level 1 is good for a single opponent, Level 3 for multiple opponents

Third Party Characters
3rd party characters are confirmed and should be revealed in the coming months or in E3

Media Impressions
Destructoid
After several matches I came away pretty excited about All-Stars. Smash rip-off? Who cares! It's so fun that I'm not even drawing the connection anymore. It's so easy to get in and get wrapped up that I found that a string of fights takes place before you know it. Even with only six characters and four stages I'm sure I could have played all night if permitted. The characters are are an obvious draw, and with their fantastic control you want to keep playing them. The mashed-up stages are also a riot, and are all eye candy to boot. If they get the balance down pat and add the right characters, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will be a smashing success. I'm sure they can pull it off, as the foundation has already been laid for a great fighting game.
Gameinformer
There's no denying where the inspiration for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale comes from, but I had fun during my time with it. Sony's characters may not fit the colorful, family-friendly mold of Nintendo's creations, but their differences make for some entertaining and varied attacks and play styles. While plenty of roster reveals are inevitable before Battle Royale is released, I can't help but wonder if it'll compare to the variety in Nintendo's fighter. That said, we wouldn't be surprised to see big names like Nathan Drake, Sackboy, Jak, and Ratchet join the fray (Crash Bandicoot is likely excluded thanks to the fact that he isn't Sony-exclusive anymore). It's far from a novel idea, but All-Stars Battle Royale made for a fast-paced and fun four-player experience in my time with it.
IGN
After playing the game, speaking to the president of the studio and then playing the game some more, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale is no longer a game I'm profoundly skeptical of, but one of my most-anticipated upcoming projects. There's no reason to be coy about its inspiration -- Super Smash Bros. undeniably paved the way for it -- but no reason exists to dismiss it as a clone, either. After all, it's not very often that a clone gives its inspiration a serious run for its money. And from what I've seen and played of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, it seems ready to do just that.

BadWolf

So here's a thought....

Sony gives money to Capcom to keep the character DLC locked in until the Vita version releases...

Simple.

Ryu would be a great choice.

KalBalboa

Banned
Game must look good if they feel this threatened.

I'm just looking forward to the fun.

You're absolutely right.

I want a Flower level. No joke, I think that'd be really fun.

I think it was interesting that they didn't show Nathan Drake or Cole in the reveal, considering they are both 100% guaranteed to be in the final game. Showcasing Parappa and Fat Princess instead shows that the PSone and Japan-factor will be strong here. Jumping Flash, Gabe Logan, Loco Rocco... c'mon Sony, make it happen.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a fugly version of Smash Bros. with less iconic characters. Which is more or less what we expected, right?

Will need to see more gameplay and third party characters before I can really get any hype for this.

Game looks amazing we all know sony games get a graphic update before release so why the complain? I think this is going to be a great field for Sony.

Audioboxer

You haven't played it. You have no objective way of claiming it isn't as good as SSB or that it doesn't play as well.

The PlayStation brand deserves its big mascot cross-over. Little Big Planet already gave us the ability to play as a lot of the old mascots together, and that game was 100% original and remarkably innovative, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to relive my 90's nostalgia with Parappa and Sweet Tooth.

Yes, the base formula is SSB, but you guys need to calm down.

Exactly. There isn't many unique ways to do cross overs. You can do racing, but then the focus is more on the karts/cars and their abilities over the driver (although the quirk is to try and shoehorn the drivers traits to the kart). You can add a few characters to other games, and we've seen that a lot with Sony, but the emphasis there is on 'few'. Usually one.

This is one way (out of a few) MANY characters can get together, and the focus be on what they're known for (their abilities/traits), and not what they're driving.

Remember as well as I said earlier, co-op plays a fucking huge part in a cross over title being, well, fun. This sort of deal oozes multiplayer potential, and as I also said earlier when you add multiplayer into the mix you further again knuckle down on what can really be done with four people in front of a screen (or even two/three). My example was 3D being a clusterfuck as without splitscreen how can it be done?

The formula for this kind of setup is simply incredibly focussed and already successful. Like it or not (for anyone upset some completely new radical way of having a load of completely unique characters together at once and being multi-player, hasn't been found by Sony).

It's up to Sony now to add their own touches to the formula and see how it goes.

EXGN

Did your panties get this twisted when Sony made Mario knockoffs with Crash/Spyro/Ratchet/Jak? Or when THQ cloned Zelda with Darksiders?

the chris

So here's a thought....

Simple.

Is this our first Permaban bet on this game?

Man, this looks like a HUGE SSB rip off!! 0_o I thought Sony's game would be much more original than that footage i just saw!

iEPDMhyzaoDvo.jpg
Thats probably what it is for me, I was so interested in this game before seeing the trailer but it looks so unoriginal I just get turned off by it. By no means am I trying to downplay it just looks so much like smash I see no point in it for me..Thought it was at least gonna have different fighting mechanics and physics..but Idk guess thats just the trailer.

And It also seems like some characters have almost the same moveset from smash...Im looking at you fat princess!

KalBalboa

Banned
SSB was always driven by nostalgia and the excitement of seeing the mascots coming together.

As a guy who grew up in the 90s with his PSone, I'm frankly really excited by this whole concept being "PlayStationized."

zoukka

Did your panties get this twisted when Sony made Mario knockoffs with Crash/Spyro/Ratchet/Jak? Or when THQ cloned Zelda with Darksiders?

TBH none of the listed were as blatant ripoffs as this game is. Actually I don't even consider Crash games nor Darksiders Nintendo ripoffs, they are so different.

Cbajd5

This totally isn't a Smash Bros. ripoff, it's a Jump Adjective Stars ripoff. Except without Komas.

I hope the Patapon Hero character makes it in as a playable character somehow, even with the Patapon army in the Hades stage. And it needs trophy like information pieces.

Audίoboxer;37344542 said:
There are basic elements such as the viable fighting environment and ability for four characters to be on screen at once that pretty much dictate a lot of what you can do. For example going full out 3D pretty much nullifies an ability for 4 people to couch co-op (these games are not made for split screen couch co-op, nor does anyone really want that).

What about Power Stone 2?

Anyways, waiting to see if any interesting characters come up. I'll probably buy if there's at least 5 decent characters to play as.

Huff

Banned
Everyone should be excited, with Sony bringing all of Nintendo's games into HD, we don't even need the WiiU anymore! One less console to buy!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
SSB was always driven by nostalgia and the excitement of seeing the mascots coming together.

As a guy who grew up in the 90s with his PSone, I'm frankly really excited by this whole concept being "PlayStationized."

Aren't you disappointed by the lack of Pepsiman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom